• Breaking News

    Friday, June 21, 2019

    Beware of Namecheap! $5,000 for a "premium" unregistered domain I just bought for $12 web developers

    Beware of Namecheap! $5,000 for a "premium" unregistered domain I just bought for $12 web developers


    Beware of Namecheap! $5,000 for a "premium" unregistered domain I just bought for $12

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 02:39 PM PDT

    I've been using namecheap for years without issue but unfortunately it seems like they have started pulling shady GoDaddy-like moves.

    I recently found a perfect .com domain for my next project, double checked it was unregistered via whois.net and went to purchase it via namecheap.

    To my surprise namecheap was asking $5,000 for the "premium" domain at checkout as it was a "high-value domain that has the potential to become a popular web address with strong branding opportunities."

    I quickly hopped on googledomains.com and was able to buy the domain for $12. What a bunch of shysters. I've been doing business with namecheap for years but I'll be transfering all my domains over to googledomains.com from here on out.

    Just thought I would post my experience here since I know namecheap has been the defacto choice for many of us and is often recommended over other shady services like GoDaddy.

    submitted by /u/talecK
    [link] [comments]

    How Google is building a browser monopoly

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 01:29 AM PDT

    Do people actually use bootstrap commercially?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 01:53 PM PDT

    Also, is there a lookup for specific tags and their uses?

    I'm working on my personal website, and I was wondering what people use for commercial websites. If there's another competitor, etc.

    submitted by /u/kulalolk
    [link] [comments]

    Roll your own ngrok in 15 minutes with LetsEncrypt + Nginx

    Posted: 20 Jun 2019 05:44 PM PDT

    VueJS: RFCs for substantial changes / feature additions to Vue core

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 01:43 PM PDT

    Performing work outside of the scope of web development

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 12:55 PM PDT

    I'm working on a website for a client. The terms of the contract states and I will responsible for HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP and SQL. However he is asking me to create logos for However he is asking me to create logos for him, design advertising banners and spell check all of his content. I also have to build e-commerce platform in the discussion board. I'm a beginner so I only charged him $500. Should I still be responsible to do the logo design, the advertising banner design, and the spelling and grammar? It wasn't listed in the terms of our contract.

    submitted by /u/mitch1618
    [link] [comments]

    What was the absolute worst time to be a web developer?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 07:33 AM PDT

    The Best way to Securely Manage User Sessions

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 08:36 AM PDT

    How do you guys deal with small business clients that have no content?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 01:52 PM PDT

    It's something that comes up pretty often, most of my experience consists of agency work so i already have final images and verbiage before i start dev (most of the time).

    so when freelancing for a company that is starting a web page from zero, how do i go about getting content?

    submitted by /u/rob-dev
    [link] [comments]

    The story of migrating Cloud9 to AWS Cloud9 - based on my own experience

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 04:35 AM PDT

    Going back to the um... "good" old days with tables - how much money would it take?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 07:00 AM PDT

    How much money would be enough for you to go back or learn how to build layouts with tables for a week, no css, no js, no flash, no frames.

    You would have to hand build 4 working sites (1 home page and 1 sub page variant per site) within that time, must render correctly in IE 6, IE 5.5, and Netscape Communicator.

    For the sake of argument the layouts would have to be designed with tables/older browsers in mind.


    PS - for those of you who haven't had the "pleasure" of building anything with tables, the best way I can describe the process would be like so:

    Imagine building something out of Legos. You've got every piece you need, and you even have some vague idea of how you're supposed to go about it.

    However, every time you place a brick, you've got a one in four chance for that new block you placed to cause other blocks nowhere near where you're working to inexplicably change in width, height, or both.

    Also once you're finally done, you have to show it to a panel of judges - Judge I.E. 6 and his senile and belligerent father, Judge I.E 5.5, and their much cooler, much more resourceful acquaintance, Judge Netscape Communicator.

    This would be fine in theory but literally every judge is grading you from a different rule book, and they refuse to agree on a single rule book. Also Judge I.E. 6 and 5.5 are insane - they hallucinate, have ocd, and sometimes just give up entirely. You have to rebuild some or all of your creation based on the whims of the judges, and here's the best part - usually fixing an "issue" one judge points out may cause new issues with the other judges. Sound fun? And don't forget, you're on a time limit!

    submitted by /u/cfryant
    [link] [comments]

    Any good ways to tell you’re ready to apply for jobs? Any resources with examples to measure up to, or tests to determine readiness?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2019 05:41 PM PDT

    Hello all. I'm brand new here. I haven't come across any particularly similar questions yet, so if this is something you see all the time please let me know and point me in the right direction. I'm also fairly new to actually using reddit (had a dormant account for quite some time) so I may not know the best way to look for such things.

    Anyways, I'm looking for some ways to determine my level of readiness in regards to having a decent shot at landing a junior web developer position. It would be my first job in the industry with no related experience. I'm already aware of what I generally need to know/learn, so I'm not asking for resources to study or practice. Rather, I'm asking if there's a set of tests or problems somewhere I can use to see where I'm at and maybe how much further I need to go.

    Any help is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/dstan47
    [link] [comments]

    What technologies should I use to build my portfolio

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 02:55 AM PDT

    I am a 19 yo Computer Engineering student. I'm just finishing the 2nd year of the degree and I believe it's the right time to build a portfolio with all the technologies I know and I've worked with in college.

    My question is whether to do the portfolio in plain HTML+CSS+JS or use frameworks such a Bootstrap, jQuery or ReactJS or VueJS.

    What would you think of a student that uses frameworks for his personal website? Would you assume that we knows the languages those frameworks are based on? And now the opposite, what if a personal website is build using plain technologies rather than frameworks? Is the student aware of frameworks? Didn't he know that there are other technologies that makes things easier?

    Making it in HTML+CSS+JS will take me a lot of time not just for the website itself but for the responsive part. If I use frameworks, that time taken to make it responsive will get massively reduced, but I'm afraid what people in general might think about a 19 yo student using just frameworks.

    What are your thoughts on this?

    submitted by /u/d3vcho
    [link] [comments]

    How many hours do you spend after work learning new stuff as an experienced mid to senior level web dev?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 03:14 PM PDT

    Is there a programming job where this is not the case?

    submitted by /u/Phylose
    [link] [comments]

    Media Query Parameters

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 02:37 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    Simple question: can i use 2 parameters for 1 @media query?

    For example: @media(min-width:300px), (max-width:900px) // will this actually create a rule for the space between 300px and 900px? or is this incorrect and should i stick to @media queries with single parameters such as @media(min-width:300px) and @media(max-width:900px)

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Guardiansfolly
    [link] [comments]

    Better shared folders for Virtualbox development boxes

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 01:34 PM PDT

    Composition in concave

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 01:27 PM PDT

    Confused which Angular to learn?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 01:18 PM PDT

    I'm currently learning JavaScript but would like to learn a framework for it on the side. When I looked up Angular I see a bunch of different variants of it, like AngularJS, Angular 2,4,5,6,7,8 ? On job posting I see most of them require Angular 2 for some reasons. Should I learn that?

    submitted by /u/Walkerstain
    [link] [comments]

    Documentation generator that allows export to PDF?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 07:13 AM PDT

    I've been using GitBook, and while I really like the system and the default styling, there is no option to export to a static file like .doc or .pdf.

    submitted by /u/zephyy
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any material UI kit (web)?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 12:35 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I am building app using material ui react. I wonder if there is some material ui kit available (for web). I searched and i wasnt able to find any . Can someone help me out?

    submitted by /u/fanaticCoder
    [link] [comments]

    Making portfolio website.. Bootstrap breaking point is not working!? not responsive.

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 12:35 PM PDT

    Hi there,

    I was making my own website with Bootstrap and I found some weird behavior where the columns won't break; basically col-sm-12 is not working weirdly. Could anyone give me some insights? On mobile, it just shows like a weird minisized website right now.

    thelab90.com is my website, thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/Katal90
    [link] [comments]

    Will learning wordpress development help me with web development in the future?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 03:50 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    So I've been learning web development since February and I've gotten to the point where I know HTML and CSS extremely well, and I know JavaScript to an extent. JavaScript at this point makes sense. I can't really make up my own JavaScript things like making a site search or something like that, but I know Dom manipulation pretty well and it's helped out with my own projects, so I feel comfortable using it for the most part.

    Since getting front-end down pretty much, I've dipped into backend and trying to make sense of things for the last month to month and a half. Nothing is making sense. I'm scattered. I do feel though that my knowledge of backend is clearer now than it was before. It's not as mysterious. But the only thing I know how to do with backend is connect to a db. As for dB's I don't really even know how to use them other than make tables for forms, but even then it's still a bit mysterious.

    For backed languages I've dipped into so many things. I've spent time trying to learn php, which is readable and makes sense to me now. I've spent time learning laravel, but it's just been so confusing and it doesn't make sense. I've dabbled in flask/django as I know a bit of Python. But that ended up being confusing as well.

    I've read documentation for mostly everything , done courses, but nothing makes much sense when I read the docs. If I have visuals it usually makes more sense. In the case of frameworks, the videos or tutorials for laravel or Django still don't make any sense to me. I've also had trouble when trying to learn SQL on how to find some specific niche things like getting data from drop down.

    Anyways, Question is should I start learning WordPress development? It sounds structured enough for me to learn easily and I'll be sticking to using the skills for front-end so I won't forget them and php which could help me get a better grasp on the language.

    My main goal with web development is to be a freelancer and work on side projects. Is this a good path? Or do I need to keep going with some other framework and really try harder to understand? (I already feel like I was giving it my best but nothing made sense) .

    I'm just lost. If someone can point me in the right direction that'd help a ton. A plus for any good tutorials or what I should try harder to do or what I should learn.

    submitted by /u/Sezno
    [link] [comments]

    How would you implement adaptive design improve bad websites like these without losing the content?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 03:40 AM PDT

    I'm talking about websites like https://www.chasms.com/ or http://networkoverload.com/ that don't have mobile view.

    They primary feature screenshots and overlaid links to make a simulator-like experience. I am a novice at web design but I can't help but feel there has to be a better way to build these sites. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/ManofTheNightsWatch
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment