• Breaking News

    Friday, June 7, 2019

    A Cloth Platformer

    A Cloth Platformer


    A Cloth Platformer

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 06:48 AM PDT

    One of the spells you can loot & gear up your boss with in our upcoming game, Mirador. What do you think? :D

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 07:35 AM PDT

    Unity Rockumentation part 2 - A rock song about using the Inspector window in Unity.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 05:09 AM PDT

    Last month I shared a music video I wrote about how to use the Project Window in Unity.

    You all liked it and suggested I do one about the Inspector window next...

    So here is Unity Rockumentation part 2 - The Inspector Window. If you missed the first one, I'm basically turning the Unity Documentation into rock songs...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLGsV7xm9MHX9guRkek2v0rEvjfko2lGgT&v=JH2vYb0Z8a8

    submitted by /u/OliverAge24Artist
    [link] [comments]

    Flappy Bird implemented on the HP7440A pen plotter

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 05:20 AM PDT

    Procedural Cave Generation (Article provided in the comments)

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 10:26 AM PDT

    Today is the one year anniversary of Survive Or Die releasing, so I made the source code public! This is the video I made talking about it.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 03:54 AM PDT

    This feel in your first game event and the public start to play your alpha after years of previous working

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 07:23 AM PDT

    Working on some procedural animations for my third person prototype.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 05:08 AM PDT

    Procedural Generation using Graph Grammars in our student-made game, Captain Starshot (now out on Steam)

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 07:14 AM PDT

    Captain Starshot is a procedurally generated rogue-lite in space where you go through different sectors fighting spaceships, boarding them and kicking alien butt. Some footage of the game can be found here: Early Access Trailer

    We have released in Early Access so be sure to check us out if you're interested here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1037410/Captain_Starshot/ or join our discord at: https://discord.gg/dZmDd4J

    For our procedural generation, we use graph grammars, which are a way of creating a graph filled with nodes based on developer-defined rules. It works in such a way that these nodes can be replaced during the generation with new nodes and connections. More in-depth explanations can be found below:

    Research paper on Graph Grammars

    Video explaining grammar graphs in-depth

    In our game, these nodes are specific rooms or entities, and once we have generated enough nodes these get organized based on the qualities we have defined for these nodes. Room nodes take ownership of the entities connected directly to them and place them inside of them.

    The videos below show the basic step-by-step process of this in our custom-built tool.

    Video explaining the nodes

    The tool itself

    Once this is completed, we can use this to define the entire layout of a playthrough in our game. From what type of ships that are spawned, to the layout inside of them. In our case, we also try to connect these rooms with corridor rooms. This allows us to define rules which enable us to make special rooms or rooms with encounters with particular pre-conditions. (As seen below)

    Graph compared to implemented rooms

    Once our game is fully released, we are considering releasing the tool for free, and perhaps creating an UE4 / Unity plugin which can be used with the tool, so other people can also create awesome experiences with it!

    submitted by /u/Terraforce
    [link] [comments]

    Publishing on nutaku?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 05:28 AM PDT

    Hello, im looking over publishing options, for a game im making. the game itself seems to be liked by people but im terrible at doing marketing and that kind of stuff. So i found out about nutaku, and i would like to hear some stories of people who published there.

    Anyone here published in nuntaku games? what was their expereicne? would it be a good idea for getting either funds or a community for future games?

    Keep in mind, this is going to be a very NSFW game.

    submitted by /u/MrZGames
    [link] [comments]

    We have taken the first step, and I couldn't be happier

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 11:03 AM PDT

    Hey everyone.

    I have been on this sub for a while, and I have always been interested in starting my journey into game dev. But, after years of starting small projects, and letting them fall to the wayside, I decided to buckle down and complete something.

    I love Zero Punctuation (Yahtzee's game review show), and I recently saw him posting dev diaries about starting a 12 games/12 months challenge.

    I decided I would try the same thing. I got a few friends together that would be willing to commit with me, and we officially started working this past week.

    Firstly, I wanted to make this post to challenge anyone who has lurked here but hasn't started yet. Take this challenge with us. Take those first steps. The hardest step is the first one. It gets easier. You just need to start.

    Secondly, I wanted to post our first dev diary post explaining our first week, and the progress we have made. The website is just a wordpress blog and a main "Hello, world" page on the index, but hey, I'm just happy we have something! I plan on writing a new update ever week on friday, so feel free to check back if you are interested in following our progress. :)

    Anyways, I hope everyone here has a great Friday, and I hope all your ideas come to fruition.

    submitted by /u/Nine00001
    [link] [comments]

    How to handle GUIs effectively? A GUI Controller?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 05:39 AM PDT

    At the moment I have a GUIController class which stores all the current active GUIs in an ArrayList and updates them all and polls for input and checks if they are 'dead' in which case they will be removed from the list. I'm not sure if this is a good solution and was wondering what some best practices are for handling GUIs.

    The main things I'm concerned about are knowing which GUIs take priority for input (eg if one is overlapping the other they can't both be clicked on), knowing which ones should lock the controls for the player, responding to events, etc.

    Also, at the moment each object which has a GUI object -- a chest, for example, would have an InventoryGUI object, and whenever it is interacted with this object is added to the controller's ArrayList. Is this a good way to do it?

    Would love to see some examples of how this is done in other games or how you personally tackle it, not sure if I'm on the right track :)

    submitted by /u/samxcr
    [link] [comments]

    FREE - Game Audio Try Pack - Unity Asset Store

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 05:36 AM PDT

    Free Mysterious Dramatic Game Music

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 12:04 PM PDT

    Is there a monogame style framework in c++?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 10:55 AM PDT

    I like the minimalism of monogame, and how everything is done programmatically while still handling all the annoying parts about graphics rendering etc.

    This would be for a 3d game.

    I've been trying to find something that's similar but let's me use c++. Ogre3d I've heard has a lot of weird dependencies on itself which can end up making you spend a lot of time doing Ogre3d related things.

    My other option is to make a 3d engine using opengl/glfw, but I'd rather use something that allows for easy asset handling, model loading etc, like monogame.

    submitted by /u/itzhammeh
    [link] [comments]

    Devs replying to negative reviews in Steam

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 06:32 AM PDT

    I've noticed that from different devs from different game studios, where what almost universally they do is, they see a negative review and respond to it in attempt to persuade the reviewer to change his review to a positive one. It's almost intuitive, because a lot of devs seem to be doing it. The positive reviews usually get no response (99% of the time with maybe some exceptions) and a lot of the negative reviews have a comment outlining the probable solutions to their problems so they can change their review to positive.

    Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I know it's good to communicate with your community, but I feel that this is not the best way to do it. First, it neglects the people who actually wrote a positive review, and second, it's trying to 'damage control' on a micro level, instead of collecting all that feedback and putting it out in the next update.

    Maybe it's Steam's fault for not notifying the reviewers after updates, because you can update the game and push out all the things they wanted, but someone who has already posted a negative review will most likely not see the update or check out the game anymore, making the review not longer accurate or up-to-date, but it's still there, lowering down the total steam rating and putting off potential buyers that are now not buying the game through misinformation. I'm not sure if there's a way to make a better review system. Steam has been trying to get it right for a while now, whereas platforms like Epic don't bother with user reviews at all.

    I know that as an user it's very practical to have a rating, I decide whether to buy most games based on the rating alone. It's also very accurate most of the time, I haven't seen a highly rated game that's actually crap or a game with a low rating that's actually good, but sometimes there are games that get unfairly low rating, because they didn't have a good launch week (riddled with bugs and problems) and they get a wave of negative reviews. They might be able to fix it in the next update or next month, but most of those negative reviews stay negative.

    I think that Steam has to work on that issue. They are getting focused on solving 'negative review bombing', but there are also other issues that need to be addressed. Some games get updated faster than others and it's a bit unfair to the dev to sit at 73% positive rating, because half of the negative reviews are 'performance issues' that were fixed 3 updates ago.

    submitted by /u/clockwork_blue
    [link] [comments]

    40 years in games industry: David Mullich on breaking rules, going beyond entertainment, and inspiring others

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 03:26 AM PDT

    Our oddest mutation to date - become a human helichopper

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 07:53 AM PDT

    Meet Ultra.io executive Edward Moalem (Apple, Google) and Melissa Brown at E3, for an exclusive live demo of Ultra platform!

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 12:27 PM PDT

    If you plan to attend E3 this year in LA and you are a developer, I highly recommend that you schedule a demo of Ultra so you can discover before everyone what we need for the future of video game distribution:

    # Small Publishing Fees

    # In-Game Asset Ownership

    # Extensive Community Features

    # Highly Customizable Monetization System

    Schedule here: https://calendly.com/melissa-e3/meeting

    submitted by /u/Akenfqs
    [link] [comments]

    Is anyone here selling his/her game on Kartridge and/or Discord?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 03:39 AM PDT

    It's been quite some time now since their launch, so we were curious to know if any of you fellow devs are currently selling their game(s) on one or both of these platforms.

    We recently went through the process of setting up the Discord store page for our project, and it was really simple and straightforward; we won't start selling it right away though because we're currently in Early Access on Steam and we want to maximize sales there before the full launch, but we'd like to know if someone cares to share some experience and a few numbers about these two alternative platforms.

    submitted by /u/Troglobytes
    [link] [comments]

    Create music from the blocks and produce these sounds when the ball falls (GraviSound)

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 12:23 AM PDT

    As a solo developer where I also made the modeling part, I just released my 2nd vlog video. I'd be grateful if you watch it.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 12:13 PM PDT

    Just released a desktop port of my first game, Journey of Haha, on Steam. Some things I learned

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 07:34 AM PDT

    Back in early 2017 I had released my first game ever, Journey of Haha, on iOS and Android. I created this game using Unity, and I taught myself C# along the way (I did have some experience with Java). It was a big deal for me, since making my own game was kind of a dream I had since I was a kid. I have feint memories of trying to cobble up an Ikaruga knockoff using something called Multimedia Fusion when I was like 15 or 16. I never got into modding, but I also spent countless hours in the StarCraft editor, too.

    Anyway, fast forward to late 2015. I had some (limited) code experience at this point, and I had an idea for a micromanaging sim game where you had a group of survivors in a zombie Apocalypse. Something like The Walking Dead mixed with Prison Architect. I'm pretty sure what I imagined is what Rim World is (I haven't played it yet). I knew this would be a bit ambitious for someone with no real game development experience, so I decided to start with something simpler.

    What I decided to do was develop a game similar to Adventures of Lolo, I game I absolutely loved as a kid. To my surprise at the time, there didn't seem to be anything like it on mobile (I'm not much of a mobile gamer at all, but at the time it seemed like a good platform for this type of game). After a little under a year of development, I released Journey of Haha on Android and iOS.

    This post isn't about the mobile release, but some things I quickly learned:

    • Not properly play testing the game on iOS was a huge mistake. This might seem obvious, but I didn't have any iOS devices and I had no budget for the game. I had only been able to test it on the iOS emulator on the 2011 MacBook Pro I bought to be able to build/publish it. It looked fine at the time. But when I bought an old, used iPad to actually see the game on a real device, I was mortified that there were were visual glitches with the shadows, and some other bugs.
    • Ignoring my (very few) playtesters on the controls was also a huge mistake. See, I tested the game more than anyone, but because I had created the controls, I knew their nuances very well. I would compensate for them automatically without thinking. My wife would tell me that she had issues with the controls, but I'd be like "Nah all you have to do is just slide your thumb like this blah blah". Sure enough, as soon as reviews started appearing, people hated the controls. I patched things up the best I could and the controls got better, but they were never perfect.
    • I hated paying Apple 99 dollars per year to publish on iOS, but I'll admit it: I sold way, way more on iOS than on Android
    • It was a fundamental mistake to have a grid-based environment with a character that could freely move.

    What about the Desktop port?

    This post was supposed to be about my experience porting the game to desktop; I'm not sure how I ended up typing so much already without getting to it. But anyway, porting this game to desktop was HARD. It was hard! It honestly felt harder than developing it in the first place.

    Why was it hard? Because when I developed it, I did a horrible, abysmal job with the architecture. I was a total newbie; I had no experience. Hell, I still feel like a newbie, but at least I have some more experience now. Not just in Unity, but with code and good code principles. I actually work as a Software Engineer now as my full-time job!

    So why exactly was porting Haha to desktop so hard? There were several reasons, but the single biggest one was the UI. See, when I first created the game, I had done a major no-no: I had tightly coupled my UI with my game logic. Coupling your UI with your logic is one of the greatest sins you can commit with software development. For the desktop version I obviously wanted a different UI than for the mobile version, so I needed to dig through this unholy mess of tangled code in order to put in a new UI. I had violated the Separation of Concerns and paid the price.

    Speaking of computer science, I'm pretty sure I horribly violated every one of the SOLID principles. I had massive classes that did many things; I had brittle classes that were tightly connected to other brittle classes; and there was nary an interface to be seen for miles and miles.

    The thing with writing bad code, is you start off really fast. But you're slowly created a monster. A monster that makes weird things happen when you make even tiny changes. Weird things like having your enemies bug out and move through obstacles just because you made changes to the player. How the hell does that even happen? I don't know, but it did to me. Sure, you might be able to push through it all and release your app. And you might think "Yeah, there's a monster in there, but that's okay, I'm not going to go back", then a few months later you end up thinking "Hey, this game would play well on Desktop, I should port it over!" and you forget about the monster until it's too late.

    So, the lesson I'm trying to impart is that it's not good enough to just "know how to write code". There is decades-worth of books and knowledge about good code designs and principles, and it's worth to learn them. You're still going to make many mistakes when you're new (honestly, I think I'm going to make mistakes like these forever), but learning good coding principles can help you learn a lot from your mistakes.

    Some other random advice:

    • Whatever your "dream game" is, do NOT try and make it as your first game. Save it for when you have more experience. Start simple!
    • Listen to your playtesters! If they complain about the controls at all, DO NOT IGNORE THEM. TAKE THIS VERY SERIOUSLY! If controls are done well, no one will ever notice them.
    • If you're using Unity, use FixedUpdate for player control input. I ran into weird issues with timed puzzles because I was using Update
    • Use "Manager" objects whenever possible. One mistake I made was I had a lot of individual objects tracking puzzle-related stuff themselves. For example, the collectible items in JoH had to decide themselves if they were the last object to be collected, what type of objects they were, etc. All of this would have been much better if I had a "CollectibleManager" object that decided all that stuff for them.
    • In Unity, try and use UnityEvents as much as possible. This makes wiring up different objects easier and cleaner, and allows more loose coupling of your objects.
    • Interfaces are beautiful things. Abstraction is a beautiful thing.
    • If you ever need to be spawn many things at once, consider using object pooling. I saw significant performance increases.
    • It is extremely hilarious to have your wife record like 50 different types of death sounds.

    If you made it this far, check out Journey of Haha on Steam here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/697670/Journey_of_Haha/

    TL;DR: Writing crappy code on your first game will give you a huge headache, but it's probably unavoidable if you're new to game development.

    submitted by /u/Sergio-TauCeti
    [link] [comments]

    Game Dev Blog advice?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 05:00 AM PDT

    I've taken up a collaborative project, we're a team of two and I'd like to record our progress.

    Is there a good format or a guideline in doing a dev blog?

    submitted by /u/virtoH
    [link] [comments]

    Is gamedev oversaturated? Because that how many game devlopers failed having really good games makes me think that it's oversaturated af.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 10:50 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment