• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 23, 2019

    Do as we say, not as we do. web developers

    Do as we say, not as we do. web developers


    Do as we say, not as we do.

    Posted: 23 May 2019 12:44 AM PDT

    Sheetson - Instantly turn any Google Sheet into CRUD API

    Posted: 23 May 2019 09:40 AM PDT

    Level Up Your Development Workflow: Part Two – Automation

    Posted: 23 May 2019 11:36 AM PDT

    Help needed on how to estimate project time and cost

    Posted: 23 May 2019 12:25 PM PDT

    I've worked as a part time web developer doing bits and pieces for this company's website for a few years through college. However recently they asked me to completely redo their website and email system from scratch (their old system is a piece of shit to be fair).

    The problem is I have no idea how to accurately predict how long this will take me and how to communicate my plan to them. The entire company has next to nil technical knowledge - I was explaining why they need HTTPS to them and their eyes were glazing over.

    Thankfully they never doubt me when I give them my technical advice, however I don't think they really understand how large a task this is going to be. I wanna make sure I give them an accurate estimate so that 2 weeks down the line they don't say "oi where's my website?"

    Any advice on how to approach this problem?

    submitted by /u/elskins
    [link] [comments]

    Best Free Issue & Project Tracking Software?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 04:50 PM PDT

    I am working with a small startup and we need a very simple issue tracking application. I come from a background with JIRA -- love it, but its too complex for our needs.

    We really only need to track dev changes as well as bugs between 3 programmers.

    Any suggestions for free, simple issue tracking software?

    submitted by /u/0xNoComply
    [link] [comments]

    It is perfectly OK to only code at work, you can have a life too.

    Posted: 22 May 2019 11:52 PM PDT

    Using <details> tags for HTML-only UI toggles

    Posted: 23 May 2019 05:04 AM PDT

    Mapbox says they've "increased our free tier" but for the first time since switching from Google Maps API (in Aug 2018), my free tier usage is already used up on the 23rd of the month?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 06:31 AM PDT

    So most everyone that uses Maps/Tiles on websites knows about the "fiasco" of Google Maps API last year. They abruptly changed their free tier around so people who've been using their free tier for years without incident (for small scale projects) suddenly were getting bills for thousands of dollars. Most people switched off of Google Maps API to other providers. One of those Map providers to capitalize on the frustrated Google Maps' customers was Mapbox.

    I switched from Google Maps to Mapbox last August because they seemed fair and their pricing tiers seemed generous. They also had pretty much a drop-in replacement for the Google Maps API.

    Suddenly last night I got an e-mail from Mapbox saying I've "used 100% of one or more of the free services included with your plan."

    I went to their website and I was met with a banner bar on top saying: "We rolled out new pricing! Read more about the changes".

    Clicking on this link takes you to their blog announcing the changes.

    Their blog announcement came out on May 21st. They say they've changed pricing and increased the free tier "for almost every product". I guess the Tiles isn't in that list? Tiles "appear" to be unlimited, but are tied to "Map Loads for Web". But I'm not sure if Map Loads has increased or decreased (its now at 50,000 per month for the free tier). Look at edit at bottom about last years pricing. Also within the Mapbox backend, I cannot look at "Map Loads for Web" statistics at all. I can only see "Raster Tiles API". So I'm pretty much at their mercy and cannot plan for increase usage or estimate my monthly usage in any way.

    Their blog can be read here: New pricing. I only found it because of this issue today and the e-mail from Mapbox saying I'm over my free usage tier (I haven't gotten any e-mails from Mapbox previously announcing this change and I never log into my dashboard).

    I've never had an issue with Mapbox's free tier since switching. My usage hasn't increased since August of last year. You can see my API calls for the last year here. I've also never had a "balance" with them until now. You can see my invoices here.

    Granted I do call quite a bit of tiles (around 300,000 to 320,000 a month) but nothing has changed. I wish they would have given notice.

    Very frustrated. Has anyone else run into this?

    EDIT: I looked on Wayback Machine and it looks like pricing back in August of 2018 was also 50,000 map views /mo. So I guess they changed how they calculated it? Wayback Machine screenshot can be seen here.

    EDIT #2: Mapbox responded to this thread, they also responded to my ticket. It looks like they were just testing stuff and it looks like the API call count for free accounts has actually increased. Right now I'm seeing "750,000 free tile requests" for "Raster Tiles API", which seems higher than before (albeit differently calculated). So their blog entry actually seems to be true. Honestly I'm not even a paying customer and they seem to go above and beyond.

    submitted by /u/bateller
    [link] [comments]

    Announcing GitHub Sponsors: a new way to contribute to open source

    Posted: 23 May 2019 02:07 AM PDT

    Why did Iframes fall out of flavor?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 02:40 PM PDT

    I come across a site every so often that just looks good and functions properly while utilizing Iframes and don't see why they aren't used more often.

    submitted by /u/Green_TeaRoll
    [link] [comments]

    react-iphone - a partial implementation of the iOS home screen on the web

    Posted: 23 May 2019 11:24 AM PDT

    I want to build my own simple blog backend.

    Posted: 23 May 2019 05:04 PM PDT

    I built a website with a two column layout blog page using React. So far, I've hard-coded the posts in a React component.

    I thought I'd have a hand at learning how to build my own small backend. Create markdown posts after logging onto an /admin panel and store them in a database, and have X amount displayed at the blog pages, each pagewith a prev/next link to see more.

    I'm basically looking for this kind of answer:

    "For creating a blog admin panel/post generator, you need to handle auth, communicate to server/database, etc. and I recommend to learn about X so you can get a handle on how to do Y first"

    or

    "This is a good resource that helped me wrap my head around x concept related to what you want to do"

    I've done my research but I find a lot of the material online is a bit too advanced for me. Okta, Express, Gatsby, MongoDB, GraphQL, I can see how some of these technologies work and what they're for, but I don't know how to go about and integrate them into my project.

    I'm new to backend, all of this is pretty overwhelming, but I thought this would be a good project to take on and learn how to create dynamic sites.

    Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/sidiousvic
    [link] [comments]

    How do applications like Mint integrate with your personal bank account info?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 04:42 PM PDT

    I like having an app to track my budgeting, but I figure if I can do something a bit more better and tailored to my needs since the free version of Mint isn't cutting it. Mint links your bank account by giving it its email address and password but it won't (at least as it says) make unauthorized transactions. Basically a budget app should be "read only" to your bank account. How do web apps like Mint do this? I am guessing they have a host of access points to many different bank APIs and have registered some special dev access to use them?

    submitted by /u/ExitTheDonut
    [link] [comments]

    Vultr vs Digital Ocean vs Linode vs Other

    Posted: 23 May 2019 04:24 PM PDT

    Well i have already read quite a lot about the subject.

    I will pay the 5us plan for now. If more is needed, i will scale up.

    I need it in SA, but there are not many good services in SA so NA will have to do.

    I will be used to host some websites and applications (django + reactjs). I am not expecting a lot of traffic. I am looking for something realible with good uptime and for my database to not dissapear.

    Other suggestions are welcome.

    submitted by /u/LeCholax
    [link] [comments]

    Disable all cookies on website by default

    Posted: 23 May 2019 02:21 PM PDT

    unlike a normal cookie notification that allows you to reject cookies where the website will stop using them, our client says we need to do the opposite and disable all cookies by default.

    Is there a documented way to do this?

    submitted by /u/ngof15
    [link] [comments]

    If you could take a break from being a web dev, what job would you take during your sabbatical?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 02:08 PM PDT

    I'm getting bored of having a desk job and being a couped up in an office 40 hours a week, I'm thinking of taking a year off and doing something different for a while to gain some perspective. What work would you do for a year?

    submitted by /u/contactlite
    [link] [comments]

    Mapbox prices increase 10x

    Posted: 23 May 2019 07:28 AM PDT

    Every additional 1,000 requests above the 50,000 free capacity is now $5 instead of $0.50.

    Previous pricing: https://web.archive.org/web/20190207191315/https://www.mapbox.com/pricing/

    New pricing: https://www.mapbox.com/pricing/

    submitted by /u/pianomansam
    [link] [comments]

    Stripe API Integration?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 01:07 PM PDT

    Stripe API Integration?

    I am in the process of integrating the Stripe API and am very close, but for some reason, I keep getting this weird error:

    https://i.redd.it/u6rx1p66p0031.png

    If I change the code to 'Content-Type': 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded', instead of 'application/json', I get this error:

    https://i.redd.it/jrpzfai9p0031.png

    Here is my code on the frontend:

    onToken = async (token) => {
    console.log('onToken', token)
    await fetch('https://api.stripe.com', {
    method: 'POST',
    headers: {
    'Authorization': 'Bearer ${secKey}',
    'Accept': 'application/json',
    'Content-Type': 'application/json',
    },
    body: JSON.stringify({
    stripeToken: token.id,
    }),
    })
    .then(res => res.json())
    .then(json => {
    console.log('json>>>>', json)
    })
    }

    And the backend:

    router.post('https://api.stripe.com', (req, res, next) => {const stripeToken = req.body.stripeTokenstripe.charges.create({amount: 1000,currency: "usd",description: "Example charge",source: stripeToken,}, (err, charge) => {console.log('charge>>', charge)if (err) {res.send({success: false,message: 'Error'})} else {res.send({success: true,message: 'Success'})}})})

    I just want to get it back in JSON. What am I doing wrong?

    submitted by /u/Wizard_Knife_Fight
    [link] [comments]

    How long did it take to get your first junior role?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 01:01 PM PDT

    For self taught devs and bootcamp devs, treehouse, udacity, freecodecamp etc...

    After finishing how long did it take to get your first role as a junior dev? How many apps/interviews roughly? Was it your first offer?

    What helped you get that role, I.E. portfolio project, interview prep etc..

    I'm very curious to see the timeframes and hear all the different stories! I'm looking for my first junior role now in Massachusetts!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Jayboii478
    [link] [comments]

    Which one to learn Elixir, Python or Ruby

    Posted: 23 May 2019 12:55 PM PDT

    I am thinking to learn a back-end language. Which one do you suggest? I am thinking one between Elixir, Python or Ruby. I already know JavaScript and I was looking for something different.

    submitted by /u/cartacarbone
    [link] [comments]

    Web developers - what (simple) software can I use to keep track of my clients and invoicing?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 04:04 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I've been developing websites for years as a hobby but recently started doing more and more work around this. I've been doing websites for small businesses (and one-man bands) in the local area. I normally charge a small amount or exchange the web design for their skills (i.e. one guy helped me build a shed for a website).

    As I'm getting more and more business I need a way to track payments and remind me that someone needs to renew their SSL certificate etc.

    I'm not looking for full accountancy software (such as Quickbooks) just some simple "reminder" type software to say that X hosting runs out this month and Y needs to pay for those alterations to their site and Z needs to renew their SSL certificate.

    Can anyone recommend any windows software that can do this?

    Thanks :-)

    submitted by /u/uptown47
    [link] [comments]

    Issue types for web maintenance projects?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 12:20 PM PDT

    Hi all. I'm setting up Jira Service Desk to manage ongoing maintenance for several web applications. My goal is to create around five issue types that are simple to choose but also allow for some reporting on the type of work we do, which is primarily back-end python. My idea right now is:

    • Bug - software not functioning as intended
    • New Feature - adding new functionality to the project
    • Improvement - no change to functionality, but improvement in speed, stability, elimination of tech debt, etc.
    • Service Request - default type for issues that are emailed in from customers, can be converted to other type if necessary
    • Dependency/Service Update - updates to dependencies and external services
    • Incident - post portem on an outage

    I've also considered the ITIL service desk process, which is:

    • Service request
    • Change
    • Incident
    • Problem

    This covers everything well, but I'm not sure it translates well to developers. It also drives the need for subcategories, for example, Change > New Feature, Dependency Update, Improvement.

    Anybody using an issue tracker for web maintenance? What categories would you want to see if you were working on these projects?

    submitted by /u/caseym
    [link] [comments]

    Simplistic PHP unit testing library with 0 dependencies and junit report generation.

    Posted: 23 May 2019 12:05 PM PDT

    Personal Website development advice

    Posted: 23 May 2019 11:48 AM PDT

    Alright so I have decided to re structure the original website that I created with just plain HTML/CSS and JavaScript to now use React! I want to know everyone's opinion on how I should approach this project since I haven't been able to make much progress with it from being so distracted by all the cool effects that you can do with JavaScript and CSS. I want to change my approach for how I build this instead of trying to code things out first and not write down the basics of the website or the web flow. Here are the following questions I am curious to know what everyone thinks

    1. Is it worth keeping my adobe cloud subscription for this project?
    2. if Yes to the previous question what are the best practices for utilizing adobe into building my personal website?
    3. Is it worth while to take the time to mock out the design first before doing any coding? Or should I do basic web flow first before mocking up?
    4. I love using figma but I also really want to tryout adobe XD but want to know if I should stick to figma or test the waters with adobe XD
    5. What are good resources to use for making my website responsive?
    submitted by /u/CompMath
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment