• Breaking News

    Monday, April 1, 2019

    I've been collecting on my Trello a lot of information about Level Design and I want to share it with you. If you know about some cool LD stuff... tell me and I'll add it to the board!

    I've been collecting on my Trello a lot of information about Level Design and I want to share it with you. If you know about some cool LD stuff... tell me and I'll add it to the board!


    I've been collecting on my Trello a lot of information about Level Design and I want to share it with you. If you know about some cool LD stuff... tell me and I'll add it to the board!

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 06:29 AM PDT

    Godot Engine - Godot Engine to go public in 2019

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 12:20 AM PDT

    April Fools Game Jam: Make a Tiger Electronics/LCD style game

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 04:13 AM PDT

    Tiger Electronics released several handheld video game toys in the 80s and 90s. These devices consisted of a single screen made up of individual animation cells. Occasionally there would be a backdrop of artwork as well.

    The individual cells would light up to create the illusion of movement or to make items appear, but these cells could not move... similar to the LED on an old digital watch.

    Here is a YouTube video of such a game which includes all the cells.


    Game Jam

    Your game should consist of a single room/screen with as much of that screen filled with possible animation cells. Naturally, one could prossibly make a text adventure game in nothing but alphanumeric LEDs.

    Alternative. These old LCD games had some competition. The Coleco Miniarcade also used LCD animation cells, only instead of a drawn backdrop they had a black background so that a coloured overlay (for LEDs) could be used. These are also acceptable.

    I know this technically counts as a 'share your stuff' topic, which is restricted, but I'm hoping the April Fools nature of the project will be acceptable.

    submitted by /u/Lokarin
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I find a part-time game dev jobs where my focus is to brush up my skill rather than money?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 08:10 AM PDT

    I'm a full-time software engineer (mainly Python and Javascript) and currently doing game development as a hobby. I've already had experience in doing a few Hyper Casual games for mobile using Buildbox 3 (Javascript) and Unity (C#). I'm looking to further brush up my skills by involving myself in a real indie game project. I'm not good enough to offer a freelance service and I don't have the luxury of time and money to start my own project.

     

    So, is there any place where I can find a part-time game dev jobs where I'm tasked to do only small modules?

    Edit: I prefer remote work since I live in a country where game development industry is almost non-existant

    submitted by /u/sugarlesstea
    [link] [comments]

    What are some 2D side-scrollers where a character wears a cape?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 07:24 AM PDT

    I'm making a 2D side-scroller and thinking about adding a cape or scarf to my main character so I'm looking for reference materials.

    I feel like I have probably played tons of games with characters with capes / scarves but my mind is drawing a blank, offhand I can only think of:

    Super Mario World (with cape power-up)

    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

    Viewtiful Joe

    8 or 16-bit "retro" sprite-based stuff is a plus since that is what my game is like, but really anything with capes / scarves could help. Doesn't necessarily have to be the main character, any character wearing a cape / scarf could work as a reference.

    submitted by /u/xvszero
    [link] [comments]

    Prosperous Universe is a super niche spreadsheet game, which our cinematic trailer didn't make clear enough. Here's the honest version!

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 08:22 AM PDT

    Unity: Box collider 2D not perfect?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 07:27 AM PDT

    EDIT: I got this to work by setting the paddle Rigidbody bodytype to Kinematic. Seems to work.

    Hello everyone,

    I should start off by saying that i installed Unity two days ago so i am as noob as they come. I've dabbled in programming a bit, years ago but nothing special. So while learning Unity i wanted to start a project where i didn't have to think about the graphics and the game play. Arkanoid was the game i selected.

    So as you can see i have parts of the first level in place with a paddle that can move left and right and collide with the walls. Both the wall and paddle have Box collider 2D on them and they can be seen in the middle image. For some reason they do not match up correctly when colliding. It's not pixel perfect if you will, and i am really scratching my head about why this is? No matter the speed on my paddle, they won't hit correctly -- but there seem to be some kind of offset happening.

    https://i.redd.it/5c7nohb8vnp21.png

    This is the code i use to move the paddle

    using System.Collections;

    using System.Collections.Generic;

    using UnityEngine;

    public class PaddleMovement : MonoBehaviour

    {

    // Movement Speed

    public float speed = 150f;

    // Update is called dependent on the set physics frame rate

    void FixedUpdate()

    {

    // Get Horizontal Input

    float h = Input.GetAxisRaw("Horizontal");

    // Set Velocity (movement direction * speed)

    GetComponent<Rigidbody2D>().velocity = Vector2.right * h * speed;

    }

    }

    Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Takodan
    [link] [comments]

    Graphics Programming weekly - Issue 78 — March 31, 2019

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 06:24 AM PDT

    Pitching a prototype - How do you build a team as a hobbyist?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 12:00 PM PDT

    I have a pretty rudimentary "Metroidvania"/action-adventure game I have been working in my spare-time after work and on weekends. I have started this project as means to learn C++ outside of what I learned in my textbooks and classes. I have learned a lot and I think continuing the project would help me learn more about game development/production

    The game pretty far from any real playable state but I have something I'm proud of as I have coded up the whole thing in C++ (aside from the libraries I have included and stuff like that). I don't really have a plan for the project aside from I want to release it as a pay-what-you-want open source project. Being that I don't really have any ambitions of making money off the project I feel like it would be unfair to ask anyone else to join it. I certainly don't want to be "that guy" who tries to make use of others skills and services for free, it's just not a cool thing to do. At the exact same time however, I would like to develop this game more and more and maybe see what it can be. As a hobbyist how can I square my desire to grow something without being some sort of mooch? Or will I have to just keep trudging along and learn how to do all music, art, etc. too?

    submitted by /u/mistervirtue
    [link] [comments]

    Announcing my first business card size C++ game: Tiny Ski

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 10:07 AM PDT

    Engine for Full Code

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 09:27 AM PDT

    After using Unity for a while, I get frustrated at how often I have to do things in a "user-friendly" way, like with sliders on objects and where everything is organized in a UI. I don't like this, since it's easier for me to think about everything in code.

    I just want an engine where I can write code, and everything else is minimal. What engine would you recommend?

    Edit: I'd like to make a 3D game

    submitted by /u/Makusu2
    [link] [comments]

    I have a Unity3D question about lightning!

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 11:41 AM PDT

    Blender 2.8 Simple Deform Modifier

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 11:32 AM PDT

    Animation IK or standard character controller for 3D platforming?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 11:22 AM PDT

    Hi, I want to mess about and prototype some 3D platformed things. I don't know whether it's best to move my character through Animation IK, or to have animations just play on top of a standard character controller. I'll be using Unity. what are some of the positives / negatives of each?

    submitted by /u/ThefitzyG
    [link] [comments]

    Feedback for Patreon/Art

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 10:54 AM PDT

    Hi guys, I'm an artist and I need your opinion about an ideia for Patreon.
    I'm looking to open a patron for developers, where I'll publish weekly assets, as well as packages that I will develop.
    All content in pixelart and Patrons will vote on themes.

    The idea is that developers can get graphics more easily based on the type they want, without having to buy packages.

    I would like to hear your opinion, especially non-artists, about this. Would they pay for this content? And would you like other content (in pixelart) missing there?

    The image below shows the level of art I have. Of course, the content will be original. This is just an example.

    https://i.redd.it/wdjy9cs0yop21.png

    submitted by /u/RyanKamos
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone had success with long term Patreon development or a similar platform?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 06:39 AM PDT

    I'm not one for long posts, so I'll keep it brief. I'm building a mobile game that I'm hoping to use the Dota2/Fortnite model of monetizing (ie. Cosmetics with no gameplay impact for real $$)

    It's an MMO RTS style game, so server infrastructure will be crucial and potentially costly. I'm planning on always having builds be public to gather up a following, and planning to offer "free" cosmetics by subscribing to a Patreon or similar service.

    Has anyone had any success with this approach or have any advice to offer?

    submitted by /u/granitrocky
    [link] [comments]

    Should i post a clip of the game me and my friends are working on? My friends and I are worried that it will be copied.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 10:07 AM PDT

    Marketing, should I setup my strategy based on from impression to sign-up conversion?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 09:42 AM PDT

    My goal is to advertise using YouTube, Facebook, Reddit, and Twitter each links will contain my pre-alpha release game where I plan to release it as free-2-play then close it for closed beta. While my game is currently on pre-alpha release I will include a sign-up page to know who has converted so that I can give out words to my close BETA release, close-BETA purchase, and let them know my official STEAM marketplace to purchase.

    submitted by /u/depressmillennial
    [link] [comments]

    Career in Game Development vs Software Engineering

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 09:36 AM PDT

    About to wrap up my studies in Computer Science and begin focusing on my career. So far I'm looking to apply for roles in Software Engineering or Game Development. I know Software Engineering is the safer, and arguably "fairer" industry. I also know the Game Industry is notorious for overworking and underpaying their employees, but I love building games, and genuinely feel my career would be more rewarding to me as a Game Developer rather than a Software Engineer.

    Do any of you out there have experience working in both Game Development (with roles that emphasize programming) and Software Engineering? How would you compare the experience? Any pieces of advice you could pass on? Is working in the Game Industry truly as disenchanting as everyone warns?

    submitted by /u/LatHab
    [link] [comments]

    The naming process in videogames

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 09:32 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows some researches about the process of naming videogames (both classics of the past and nowadays titles). It's for my graduate thesis, I'd appreciate if you could indicate some articles, book or else on this topic. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/capuNcook
    [link] [comments]

    Question for the non-artistic solo gamedevs (Resources to learn how to make art assets).

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 09:30 AM PDT

    At the moment i'm in university almost finishing up my Comp Sci degree. I also dabble in music stuff on my spare time. In terms of making a game, I got the programming skills covered and I got the music/sound aspect covered. In terms of drawing/animating though...

    My question to all of the game developers out there that are on a similar position but managed to learn these skills. What are some of the resources you guys used? (Blog posts, video tutorials, udemy, post anything that helped you!).

    I'm mostly interested in 2D stuff since I don't want to get too complicated but feel free to share anything you want, could be pixel art tutorials, 3D, 2.5D paper mario style, low poly... anything!

    Thanks!! :)

    submitted by /u/asperin32
    [link] [comments]

    Could future tools like Quixel make it possible for small studios to make really good looking games with a realistic artstyle?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 09:03 AM PDT

    I'm not very experienced in game dev but I was curious to see what people here think about it.

    This post got me wondering - https://old.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/b7ny9a/rebirth_ue4_photorealism_60fps_realtime_on_a/

    By small studios I mean really small - 5-15 people. To my knowledge so games made by them have to keep a fairly minimalist style when it comes to graphics. It would be amazing if in terms of visuals something close to what you see in AAA games was achievable without a huge studio and lots of money. What are your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Bootlekk
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to start a community driven game community?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 08:57 AM PDT

    I spend a lot of time playing roleplay on games that are apocalypse related. In fact, this genre is one of my favourite for roleplaying on due to the endless possibilities for character development.

    It also just so happens that I am a programmer by trade and I came make average 3d models in blender and substance painter.

    I have a great idea for a community driven free to play game for role players like myself. I am solely interested in doing this for my love of roleplay, not money.

    What advice could people out there give me for starting this venture? How can I encourage others to contribute work to the project and how can I get my feet of the ground with my idea?

    submitted by /u/PythonGod123
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment