• Breaking News

    Monday, April 1, 2019

    Domain Theory and Type Theory Computer Science

    Domain Theory and Type Theory Computer Science


    Domain Theory and Type Theory

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 09:41 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm a professional mathematician (homological algebra, category theory), starting the transition towards (theoretical) computer science. Since the idea is to find topics that are closest to my background, I'm currently studying denotational semantics. I've also studied a bit of type theory, with an emphasis on Martin-Lof and HoTT; but to be fair, in both subjects, I'm a beginner at most. As references, I started with David Schmidt's Denotational Semantics and the HoTT book, along with Martin-Lof's articles.

    Hence my question/request. Please help me understand the relation between domain theory (as it appears in denotational semantics) and type theory. This is what I think I'm getting so far, so correct me if I'm wrong:

    Domain theory tries to find the mathematical background where a program has its meaning. As such, it looks to give mathematical meanings (mostly [partial] functions with their respective domains and ranges) to primitives that appear in the syntax of the language. But, whereas domain theory starts by associating a function to an expression of the form, say, let e = f in g, type theory treats the domains of e, f and g separately and obtains the meaning of the let expression as a consequence (via inference rules, as far as I have seen). Similarly for case expressions, for example.

    Is this correct?

    Also, (purely) functional programming languages raise some difficulties in my mind when trying to understand DT and TT separately. For example, I found tons of papers on Haskell's type system but only a few on domain theory for it. Am I misunderstanding stuff?

    What are your insights on the two subjects and their interplay (if any)? Do you have references to recommend (books, articles) on this topic?

    submitted by /u/t3rtius
    [link] [comments]

    Representing Units in CS - Survey on Lack of Adoption of UoM Libraries

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 04:53 AM PDT

    Are you guys uncomfortable with this piece of C-type code?

    static final double c = 1079252849;

    static final double SPEED_OF_LIGHT = 1079252849;

    static final double SPEED_OF_LIGHT_IN_KM_PER_H = 1079252849;

    I am an informatics masters student working towards my thesis in Sweden at Uppsala University and I am currently looking at the lack of adoption of UoM (Unit of Measurement) libraries and why that's the case in computer science and scientific/programming communities in general. More than 3000 UoM libraries exist from previous research, indicating that these libraries aren't really adopted by wider communities and that there is no 'standard', so to say.

    If you've ever used C++ Boost.Units, JSR-385, F#'s inbuilt support for UoM or any other UoM library in any language (or have implemented your own custom solution, or considered using one of these libraries), I would be super grateful if you could spare a moment of your time to fill out the following survey for me. It only takes about 5 minutes to fill out.

    Here is the link to the questionnaire: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfGsH9qSllDPaM5qBuvcSISWNH4fwzl1Gkcf50IOT9F4kABUQ/viewform.

    I posted this survey on the cpp forum and some other forums and I got some really interesting answers which you can find on: https://www.reddit.com/r/cpp/comments/b6wsyy/c_boostunits_survey_on_lack_of_adoption_of_uom/. The issue is really language agnostic which is why I also posted it here. I got quite a lot of responses, but I just need a few more to gauge the severity of this issue.

    If you have any questions or insights, please feel free to message me or post it here!

    submitted by /u/Alfredius
    [link] [comments]

    Where to Find examples of programs on punchcards or anything Pre-OOP

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 01:07 PM PDT

    Specifically I'm interested in finding patterns that would have died out after object-oriented programming.

    One specific pattern I'm interested to see is the use of Petri-Nets as a design pattern - A co-worker from IBM once told me he'd seen it used as a pattern before OOP times.

    submitted by /u/orksliver
    [link] [comments]

    The Path to Path-Traced Movies

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 02:55 PM PDT

    The early stages of an instruction set with inbuilt abstraction

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 01:14 PM PDT

    Textbook that covers functors (function objects) and A* Algorithm in C++?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 11:53 AM PDT

    If anyone knows of a textbook that covers these topics in C++ please let me know

    submitted by /u/CA-DREAMIN
    [link] [comments]

    I want to make a diy mocap software. What languages and/or frameworks do you recommend I look into?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 11:19 AM PDT

    Will this industry become over saturated

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 08:57 PM PDT

    Seems very popular

    submitted by /u/rdrum
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment