• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 3, 2019

    Big N Discussion - April 03, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Big N Discussion - April 03, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Big N Discussion - April 03, 2019

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big N and questions related to the Big N, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big N really? Posts focusing solely on Big N created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    There is a top-level comment for each generally recognized Big N company; please post under the appropriate one. There's also an "Other" option for flexibility's sake, if you want to discuss a company here that you feel is sufficiently Big N-like (e.g. Uber, Airbnb, Dropbox, etc.).

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big N Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - April 03, 2019

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    You can get unstuck

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 12:01 PM PDT

    I made some posts here a year or so ago. I was having a really hard time landing a job out of college. It took a year after having graduated before I got an offer, and it was a temporary job with pretty low pay. For that year, I was horribly depressed; I constantly felt hopeless and ashamed. I contemplated leaving my industry. I almost signed an offer from Revature. Those were truly dark times, haha.

    Less than a year later, I've been working at a better job for half a year, and I just got news that I've passed my Google on-site. I didn't come here to brag (okay, maybe a little), I came here to let you guys who are having a hard time know that you can climb out of the hole you might be in. You don't need to be perfect to build career success, you just need to be competent and patient.

    So if you're struggling, keep your head up. A gap won't kill you!

    submitted by /u/CSloserthrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    Overworked Chinese developers gather on Github to protest "996" work schedule

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 08:57 PM PDT

    The repo, now with 150K+ stars, is the fastest growing repo in the Github history. Big names like Huawei, Alibaba, and Ant Financial are all on the blacklist. It just really saddens me that such toxic work hours is the norm in my homeland and I'm worried that if this continues to blow up the gov will eventually ban Github in China. Maybe I'm being overly dramatic but some major Chinese browsers are starting to blocking the repo page.

    submitted by /u/basil_chicken
    [link] [comments]

    Some insights from a former tech recruiter

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 04:27 AM PDT

    I used to be a tech recruiter for 2.5 years before transitioning into software development and now I work with a company that creates software tools for recruiters. As a result I have insight from personal experience and also from my current job where I work with recruiters to create software that helps them filter for the best candidates. Just thought I would share some interesting data I noticed after surveying a lot of recruiters.

    The top schools and the rest

    Having a top 5 school on your resume actually has a ton of value for a candidate, but school reputation drops off pretty quick afterwards. Most interesting was that some people claimed they would value an MIT dropout more than a graduate of an average state school.

    Canadian schools are overlooked gems

    There was a very favourable perception of UBC, Waterloo and UofT in Canada even when compared with top US colleges. Perhaps this is not so surprising as all three schools are consistently ranked in the top 30 colleges for CS and have a heavy emphasis on co-op programs.

    Skills

    Having a "Skills" section on your resume is possibly superfluous. Show knowledge of that language/technology through past work experience or a personal project. Putting Python at the end of your resume while having worked the last 7 years in JavaScript with no personal projects isn't going to fly.

    Personal projects

    Although most recruiters admit to never clicking through a candidate's Github, having projects on your resume significantly increases your chances of passing resume screening. Even better are fully released projects on the (e.g. on the appstore/playstore) with active users.

    Resume design

    Do not post a picture of yourself on your resume. Do not use "fancy" graphics on your resume. Nobody wants 3 pie charts demonstrating your proficiency with various languages. Too many vibrant colors are also seen as a negative. Most people should keep their resume to 1 page.

    Resume content

    Most prefer resumes without blurbs or objective statements. Main sections should be work experience, projects, education and skills (maybe). Positive response to short sections demonstrating extracurricular achievement (i.e. national tennis player, varsity athlete). GPA doesn't seem to matter, but graduating with honors is still a plus. Neutral/negative response to listing "self-learning" or online certificates under education. Better idea to demonstrate what you learned through a project. Keyword filtering is a thing both automatically and manually by recruiters. Use good verbs like "implemented", "planned", "drove/driven", "developed", etc.

    Cover letters

    Contrary to what I have read this subreddit, a well written and thoughtful cover letter has a significant positive benefit to your candidacy. Recruiters do actually read at least the first paragraph and will continue if it seems personalized to the role and competently composed. It should elaborate on what you have on your resume and emphasize why you are a good fit.

    submitted by /u/UsefulDoohickey
    [link] [comments]

    How to deal with code review hell from team lead?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 04:27 PM PDT

    Everything I do is criticized. My code is picked apart during reviews, and the reviews are focused on too much small details. I'm told to redo things based on how the team lead would do it constantly.

    It's gotten to the point where I can't continue forward with anything because i'm stuck in code review hell for each ticket I do. I'm starting to fall behind on some deadlines because of this.

    I feel paralyzed and can't do anything, cause everything is picked apart.

    has anyone experienced this before?

    submitted by /u/WhereAmI505
    [link] [comments]

    I think I hate being a developer. Options?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 08:00 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm currently working my first post-college job at General Motors after getting a BS in CS. I'm working on a team that is working on a pretty cool project, but I've come to hate my job. Our office is a massive, grey box with very few windows. I don't look up to my managers and I don't buy into our corporate culture whatsoever. I'm sure part of this is just a problem with my attitude/outlook, but it's a problem nonetheless.

    Furthermore, I feel like I'm a very social person and I'm pretty decent at speaking, but I'm spending most of my day interacting with a computer screen. I'm wondering if I should seek out a role where I can leverage my technical understanding but make use of my social skills as well. I'm trying to narrow down what kind of roles might fit the bill. Ideas I have are sales engineering, product management, some kind of consulting. Do any particular roles come to mind for y'all?

    My other option is do give development/engineering another shot in a totally different environment. I think that there is value in this for sure.

    submitted by /u/JobsJobsJobsJobsOhNo
    [link] [comments]

    Having second thoughts about a Master's

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 05:47 PM PDT

    Got accepted into my undergraduate university's accelerated Masters program. There's a chance that I can graduate in only two semesters, though that depends on some luck with course schedules.

    Meanwhile, I have a pretty nice internship lined up this summer at a top tech company. They are paying me over 9k a month, considering bonuses.

    If I am 'good enough' to land these kind of internships, should I just apply to full time positions with a start date in the Fall (after my internship ends)? My original motivation for applying to grad school was because I've always been a good student, and I thought that I could benefit from a slightly more academic path than just stopping with a Bachelor's. I've also liked my undergraduate machine learning courses, and thought that I could cultivate that interest best with a Master's. Furthermore, my parents are both encouraging me to pursue the Master's.

    I've also heard that a Master's degree really doesn't make much of a difference, from a salary perspective. This, coupled with just how done I am with school at the moment, makes me feel like I should abandon the Master's and start applying for full-time positions.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/bzlister
    [link] [comments]

    How common is it for people to be kicked out of the industry?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 05:00 PM PDT

    How common is it to see people who are just so inept at coding that they consistently get fired and wont get hired by anyone else?

    submitted by /u/Garrett50Kal
    [link] [comments]

    What should someones plan be after their 40s when they are too expensive for a company?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 04:27 PM PDT

    Lots of people will most likely say management but we know that some people aren't cut out to be managers.

    submitted by /u/coolaj28
    [link] [comments]

    How do I approach my boss/ manager? Any advice?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 03:18 PM PDT

    I'm new with this working world and I am not sure how I should go about when it comes to interacting with my manager. I don't know how much I should share and how friendly I should be and what kind of boundaries I should set.

    Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/berryhappy101
    [link] [comments]

    12 Week Internship vs 6 month Co-op

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 03:05 PM PDT

    What kind of differences might there be between a 12 week internship and a 6 month co-op as a software developer? Is the extra time in a co-op really significant (from a learning or resume perspective)? For context, I go to a university with a Co-op program. This is going to be my first experience being paid as a developer. I got a 12 week Software Development internship offer with a decent company, and I've been told it's just long enough to satisfy degree requirements. I have not yet received any 6 month co-op offers (I have interviews for similar positions coming up), and will have to decide whether I take this one before I get any more offers.

    submitted by /u/SmoothEstimate7
    [link] [comments]

    Feeling high anxiety and a lot of pressure to perform

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 06:48 PM PDT

    Hello, at work, I'm at a point where I feel like I'm at the brink of just wanting to quit. I feel overwhelmed, feel high levels of anxiety and stress, and I've been showing pretty erratic behavior at work towards my manager. For example, when talking about a bug I'm having trouble squashing, I'll ramble on about it with a raised voice.

    My behavior at work has changed a lot. I don't like talking to people, and generally stay away from others. When talking during meetings, I don't have any energy behind my voice because I honestly don't want to be there.

    My behavior outside of work has changed. I don't like socializing. I just go straight back to my place, eat, try to relax (or if i'm feeling motivated, try working some more), then go to bed. When talking to random people outside of work (i.e. a cashier), I can't keep eye contact and I try my best to act "normal".

    I want to work on side projects outside of work, or learn about new things, or go outside and explore, but I can't get rid of the feeling that I'm "wasting" my time doing these things because of the queue of work I still need to get done. I cannot ignore these tickets because they have deadlines and I'm trying my best to meet them. If I don't meet a deadline, I lose even more confidence in myself.. I feel like I'm in this vicious cycle that never ends and it's just incrementally making me more miserable.

    I honestly just want to quit, take a few months to just relax and study/learn new things (because I honestly want to do this), and then try and look for a new job.

    Have any of you felt this way? What did you decide doing?

    How do you deal with the feeling of never-ending tickets to close? How do you stay mentally healthy and reduce stress when you know there is a mountain of work to do with short deadlines?

    submitted by /u/throwaway1297412
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to get a cybersecurity developer related job after completing a CS degree (in Canada)?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 05:48 PM PDT

    I'm about to start a computer science program at a decent university in Canada. Cybersecurity interests me a lot and I would love to attain a job in that field. I'm going to try attaining at least 1 or 2 cybersecurity related internships/coops throughout my years in university. But, besides doing this, what else should I do to make sure I attain a good cybersecurity software developer job after graduating university? Should I get any certificates? Should I focus on completing a specific cybersecurity online course (btw, I'm going to try taking cybersecurity courses that my university's curriculum has as well)? Should I focus on completing any specific projects?

    submitted by /u/roboprogramming
    [link] [comments]

    Potentially leaving job around the 6 month mark.. How would I do this respectfully?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 06:45 PM PDT

    I've been at my current job for nearly 7 months. Truth be told, I really like working there. The company is small but has some really neat products. I'm learning a ton and they give me a lot of freedom. My boss is really great, he's a natural leader and is a definite ally for me and the other engineer. If I ever had an issue with my job, I have no doubt he would get it fixed immediately. The company has a lot of confidence in me -- the CEO visited from our main office overseas, and I think I made a good impression on him. Later on, my boss had a meeting to tell me basically that and that they want me to start thinking about moving into management as the company grows.

    The company is located in an extremely small town, my hometown. I started at $40k and got a raise at the 3 month mark to $45k. This is low, but the COL here is about as low as it gets. I have no doubt that I will get regular raises if I stay here.

    However, I'd really like to leave my hometown. I really want to move somewhere and I decided on NYC. I originally had no intention of moving here after college, but I had an awful time getting any callbacks after I graduated. With that experience, I started applying for jobs around two week ago thinking it would take me a few months before I got anything. This is moving much faster than I expected, I'm already well into the process with a few companies and have an onsite scheduled at one.

    It's looking likely that I will be leaving here pretty likely, and I know this is always a bad look. I really want to make sure I'm doing this in a way that is respectful of my employer given how good they have been to me. I know I can't tell them I'm interviewing, but it's clear they have no idea I'm even thinking about other jobs. They just took me on a sales trip last week. I had a few beers with my boss and he clearly has no idea I might leave early -- he was talking very long term.

    Is there anything I can do in the meantime? I'm certainly still putting out 100% effort for them as normal. In the event I do accept a job offer, I plan to mostly tell them what I wrote here, that I have no issues with the company but rather with the location. I also plan to send a letter to the CEO as well as the owners who I met when they visited the office a few months ago.

    submitted by /u/cscareermrk
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling with staying awake

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 06:59 AM PDT

    I'm a few months into my first big boy job and I've seriously been struggling to stay awake throughout the day. I like to wake up early to go workout before work but I also go to sleep way earlier in order to get a healthy amount of sleep. I use a little preworkout for the gym and drink a good amount of tea throughout the day. I try to avoid coffees as it gives me bad stomach aches. Sometimes I'll catch myself almost dozing off trying to rest my eyes for a minute or two. My cubicle is right near my manager's so I'm scared of getting caught especially since I'm only a few months into the job. What's some tactics you guys use to get past this groggy tiredness? I don't want to rely on caffeine but I've started to consider just taking caffeine pills.

    submitted by /u/xngy
    [link] [comments]

    How to avoid making your coworkers life miserable while maintaining some standards?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 05:52 AM PDT

    Our project is currently lacking engineering standards before I joined, and it's negatively affecting the quality of the operations in the longer term (out of hour calls from clients and taking long time to debug).

    I've been reviewing all the pull requests. Any issues I find I usually talk to the developer on a one-on-one basis without rejecting the PR. However, this apparently is making my coworkers life hell and I am quickly becoming that one unpopular guy. So PRs are often requested to another dev who gladly approves everything.

    While I agree that nitpicking / micro managing someone's work is not a good idea, I personally think I am quite liberal on the issues I asked them to fix.

    Two examples:

    1. A developer built a convoluted logic which appears to be functioning. No unit test cases whatsoever. On the pull request, I asked him to add a short Java doc comment on top of the primary functions, so we can quickly identify the business logic in order to debug them in the future.He tells me that this is out of the scope of the change, and a new JIRA and a new branch would need to be created.

    1. A developer built a data service API that make 6 wild card SQL calls on the same table, put them into 6 arrays, and loop through each of them while filtering the data out one at a time into another list. I asked him to make 1 SQL call and use the WHERE clause, so we can avoid making unnecessary calls to the DB. And he refuses to do it as the logic is working as intended, he doesn't have time to deal with it, and will fix later (probably never).

    Our developers here work at most 7 hours a day. We don't have crunch time. And project deadline is very liberal as we're swimming in cash. What should I do here without coming across as someone who is difficult to work with?

    submitted by /u/I00BABIES
    [link] [comments]

    Do other companies care about your previous SWE title?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 05:27 PM PDT

    I'm only 1 year in the industry, and I'm looking to switch companies eventually.

    However, I think my managers are a little malicious, and might keep me at a 1 for as long as possible.

    Example: If I've worked at my company for 4-5 years, but I'm still a #2, and then I apply for senior positions in other companies, will they care that I was only a 2 in my previous position? Or does # of years help?

    submitted by /u/Beermecaptain21
    [link] [comments]

    Absolutely love programming, but not sure what field I want to specialize in?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 05:01 PM PDT

    Greetings,

    Starting off I want to say that I do not want to be a web developer, I will admit that in the past I've tried SO hard to make it work but it simply does not interest me (not shitting on it just personally don't get reward from it). That being said, due to lack of ignorance on the subject, what other fields for programming are out there and please share your experiences with them for example, robotics programming, VR etc. .

    I'm currently in the Army and plan on going to uni after and just want to be prepared and have a feeling of what I want to do.

    submitted by /u/MeHasAdhd
    [link] [comments]

    Does this sound like a company you would intern for?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 07:44 PM PDT

    37 days ago, I applied for a Web Application Developer Intern position at a software company that produces applications for insurance companies. Immediately after applying, I get a confirmation email saying that I should be patient as they take time processing applications. Two weeks go by and I do not hear anything, so I contact a friend of mine, Gertrude, who works at the company.

    Gertrude says the company was having budgetary issues, however, they have been resolved. Additionally, Gertrude indicates that she would mention my name to the recruiters (I did not ask her to do this but was thankful) and I should contact her in two weeks if the recruiters don't reach out. Three weeks go by since my conversation with Gertrude, so I ask her for an update regarding HR's processing of intern applications. She tells me she will check with HR the next day.

    The very next day, I get an email from a recruiter requesting that I supply them with days and times for a phone screening. We agreed to speak on the phone today, April 3.

    Today during the phone screening, they asked me to talk about my three JavaScript personal projects that I listed on my resume. Also, they asked me questions about my ability to work in the U.S. without sponsorship and all the other standard questions you get. After this, they explained what the next steps are.

    They indicated that this phone screening is the sole interview. In other words, there will be no subsequent on-site interview of any kind nor a technical interview. I asked about the job responsibilities for the first few weeks, and they said I will go through a 3-week training session involving lessons on Agile methodology and will take Pluralsight courses in C# and .NET (the job description only mentions HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Node, and Redux). They also said that to continue forward, I would need to fill out an electronic employment application, take a pre-employment behavioral assessment with Wonderlic, and a personality test. After I do those three things, they will send my information to a hiring manager for a final decision.

    To tell you the truth, I am a bit disappointed. I feel like the only reason I was given this phone screening was because I knew someone who worked at the company. Additionally, it sounds strange to me that there is no follow up technical interview. It sounds like they are going to make a decision based on some standardized test as opposed to sitting down with me and assessing my web development abilities. What are your thoughts on how this company hires interns?

    I just got back from an on-site interview with a DoD contractor for a web development internship and will be hearing back shortly, so at least I have that going for me.

    submitted by /u/mattk1017
    [link] [comments]

    My team imploded after the "golden boy" messed up a project, now we are all getting blamed for this... what can I do?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 01:21 AM PDT

    The guy is a straight-up "I can do anything, I know everything, you are all losers"-kind of guy. He wasn't overtly obnoxious but his actions caused a lot of damage over the years.

    A month ago we started coding a new solution on our team of three (this guy is the lead) and we realized he had under estimated the project and made a wrong time estimate. Two weeks in, he started "suggesting" we do OT in order to finish in time.

    When the other team member suggested the estimate was wrong, he straight up accused her of being incompetent and using project-hours to learn things she should have known by working here.

    Needless to say, things didn't get better. Yesterday we were forced to contact the client and ask for a delay, and the client was not happy about it.

    We were all recalled into our manager's office and the lead essentially blamed me and the other woman for the fallout. He essentially repeated in front of the company owner how we didn't apply enough all these months to learn and get better and when an important project needed to be done, we didn't have the knowledge to do it, so it was OUR professional fault, not his.

    In addition, he said he was shuffling three different projects (unlike the two of us, who only had this on our plate) so he was not at fault in any way. The other team member tried to point out that it's not our fault that he works lots of overtime to keep up, and he snapped saying that "what he does in his free time is none of our business, and that his share for the current project was done correctly." He also added that we should focus a little more on doing our job right and less trying to offload blame when things go wrong...

    I was speechless. Our boss didn't side with any of us, but didn't reprimand him either, so we had to go back to work. Behind close doors, I talked with my other team member and we agreed we'll ask to be out of his team once the project is done. There's no way either of us (35 and 38 years old) will be taught down by a 29 year old kid who thinks he's God's gift to the company...

    Considering he will not take this well, how do you deal with this kind of situations?

    submitted by /u/dext_niagara
    [link] [comments]

    Undergrad College Decisions

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 07:25 PM PDT

    Sorry if this isn't the right subreddit, but all my college decisions are back and I was looking for some advice on which would be the best for a career in CS. Here's what I've gotten into in order of my current preference for them: Cal Poly Pomona, CU Boulder, Rochester Institute of Technology, Arizona State University, San Jose State, UC Riverside, and San Diego State. I'm also waitlisted at UIUC, Cal Poly SLO, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz, University of Maryland College Park, and Rensselaer Polytech.

    I'm already pretty experienced in CS (won multiple hackathons, part-time full-stack web dev, etc) so I think the purpose of me getting a degree is more to understand the fundamentals (complex data structures, assemblers) and to build a strong social/job network. So what would you guys suggest based on CS program quality and brand value in Silicon Valley?

    If it matters, I've gotten in for Computer Engineering everywhere except UIUC (Computer Science + Linguistics) and CU Boulder (Pre-Engineering/Undecided). Thanks!

    submitted by /u/actualsnek
    [link] [comments]

    How to not feel dejected about constant rejections? ://

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 07:16 PM PDT

    I took a semester off school bc of mental health struggles, and to cope with the disapproval of my parents, I began relentlessly applying to jobs. Every day I apply to at least 5-6 positions, at one point a few weeks ago I was applying to 20-30 a day.

    I rarely heard back from places, and even if I did I never made it past the initial interview stage. When Twitter reached out to me, I assumed it was another rejection email and having received 15 rejections earlier that day, I ignored the email. When the recruiter followed up with me, I was in disbelief and tried not to get my hopes up. After the first interview, my interviewer was so incredibly nice and even said he thought I would be a perfect addition to join the team, and said he never met other candidates with the same experience before.

    During my final panel of interviews one interviewer expressed the same thing, and I began being hopeful, anxiously waiting. Only to find a rejection email today (I cried inside my car) :// Ive been really dejected lately with a lot of disappointing stuff on my plate (lots of family issues) and I just wanted something to go right. Now I'm just crying in a Taco Bell parking lot :-(

    submitted by /u/kimnamjoonkimseokjin
    [link] [comments]

    Is it normal to start searching for a silver bullet solution when you are getting desperate to find a job?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 11:41 AM PDT

    I've been going through most of my career freelancing, kind of lost and don't know how to settle into a full-time job or make myself more attractive.

    Just to be clear I am not interviewing at places that ask you Leetcode style logical questions. And advice like, introspect and figure out why you're not passing the interviews, is like the advice-giver isn't gonna have any agency in helping you fix the problem.

    And that sucks. It makes me feel all alone.

    As such I have gotten to the point where my patience is running out and I really need to find work somewhere, to the point where I want a silver bullet solution. One step that can fix my job finding problem in one fell swoop.

    Is it normal to feel this way? When I had more patience I was okay with trying out more involved solutions. But now that I have less patience and more urgency in finding work, I want solutions that are simpler and take less time.

    I'm sure many others feel this way about the job search? I'm guessing..

    submitted by /u/ObnoxiousParakeet
    [link] [comments]

    No Internship for Summer as of Yet and Need Advice

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 07:12 PM PDT

    Hi everybody, I've been scared lately reading online that if I am unable to secure an internship before I graduate, I will be unemployable. I am going to be graduating in winter 2020 and have not yet had an internship yet. I did not yet feel ready for one this year, as I recently changed my major to computer science and did not fully grasp the immense importance of applying for them.

    I have been sending out applications to many places since I've come to this realization, applying to 20 positions in the past day, but I fear I will not be able to apply to the hundreds of positions that I need to apply to in order to secure one.

    What would be the best course of action in this case? Any and all advice is appreciated, thank you!

    submitted by /u/throwaway18562222
    [link] [comments]

    Goldman Sachs Engineering Essentials Program - Worth it?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 07:10 PM PDT

    Has anyone attended GSach's Engineering Essentials Program before in the past? I was recently notified of my acceptance. but the program is a week long, and I would have to miss some important stuff at school.

    I'm wondering if anyone has attended and can speak about whether it was helpful / worth missing school? It seems quite competitive to get into, and I'm interested in working as a SWE Intern at GSachs in the future, so I don't want to just give up the opportunity, but I also don't want this to affect my grades at school. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/jb0518
    [link] [comments]

    Is negotiating salary for an internship a good idea?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 01:11 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I got an offer today for a paid internship. The interview had gone very well and I was expecting an offer. I also applied for another position at the same company for another team, and even that went great. I will hear the decision for the other team in 2 days. I told the HR I shall get back after the decision from the second team is made.

    What are my options? Should I negotiate with the HR about the salary? Is it something that creates a negative impression, considering 'internship' postion? Can they revoke the offer?

    The compensation is not piss poor, but neither is it very rewarding and lesser than I expected based on glassdoor estimation. Considering university application for CPT, and my rent, I might just have little savings.

    Any helpful resources would be appreciated.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/DoomBuzzer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment