• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 23, 2019

    You can only stare at the code so long expecting to find your error. learn programming

    You can only stare at the code so long expecting to find your error. learn programming


    You can only stare at the code so long expecting to find your error.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 03:04 PM PDT

    After two hours staring at the code, I decided to post it.

    And then I saw it before I hit post.

    Try starting to post.

    You might find it.

    submitted by /u/justanotheranon8
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a non-programmer who's been trying to learn programming personally for years and dabbled in Java, Python, JavaScript, and HTML. I've picked up a bit over time, but I just started learning C++ and for some reasons it's hooked me like no other language before. Anyone have an idea why?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    This may be a stupid inquiry but I am trying to figure out why I like C++.I teach technology to middle schoolers and have a "jack of all trades, master of none" resume when it comes to computers. I can build computers, build basic electronic toys, and navigate my way around Java, Python, and JS enough to "edit" code to my liking, but I can't write in programs from a blank slate. Mostly because I only ever got halfway through any of the python or Java type books or courses I've taken. (they are the most recommended introductory languages)

    For some reason I tried C++ recently. I started and have almost completed a C++ course on Codecademy, and I am now reading and practicing "C++ Primer" by Josée Lajoie and Stanley B. Lippman and I just *really* enjoy it. I do not know enough about programming to articulate why.

    I'm wondering if anyone can help me out here. Something about C++ interests me, but I'm not exactly sure what it is.

    **

    EDIT: I'm amazed by this thread. Thank you all for your contributions, I can't wait to finish reading it. Some great information in here. What an incredible community.

    submitted by /u/AmericanMustache
    [link] [comments]

    Wanting to get into mobile gaming and gaming in general. What are the best languages to start learning.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 05:20 PM PDT

    I'm bored of my life and my job and I have been wanting to go back to school to get an AA in Computer Science, which I'm on track to do. Yay for not being lazy and making an effort to better my situation!

     

    Anyways, with that said, I want to build something of my own and have been thinking of this idea for a game for a long time. I want to do everything 100% BUT I just am not sure what language(s) I should learn take to pursue this?

     

    Thanks again guys! Any information would be helpful :)

    submitted by /u/yeoldecotton_swab
    [link] [comments]

    Running C code on backend of website?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 09:35 PM PDT

    Basically, i had an idea for a project that would run a file through a C program.

    This file could either be typed out or uploaded by the user, and the C program would work with that file. Basically, I want to know how best to approach this. Maybe recreate the said C file (of which I have the source code) as .php? Or is there a way to just use the C file somehow on the backend?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Not-In-Denial
    [link] [comments]

    Is it okay to learn Python and Javascript at the same time? Also trying to decide on online course to follow

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 04:58 PM PDT

    Hello.

    I've been trying to study programming more seriously recently, and have been studying the Web Developer course on Udemy by Colt Steele, and got to the JS section. About halfway through the JS section, I was introduced to Gordon Zhu's Watch and Code's course by an acquaintance, and after 18 days, I've finally completed, though I'm still far from confident in my ability, and still easily confused by method interactions with higher order functions, callback and vice versa. At around the same time, I also met a programmer who's giving me free one on one Python lessons. Got 1 lesson so far, and my short background on JS helped clearing the first lesson. I also have the Modern Python 3 Bootcamp by Colt Steele on Udemy, which I've started working on alongside my 1 on 1 lessons Python (still at the beginning).

    But the thing is, that now I'm getting pretty confused on what my next step should be. Me and my teacher don't share the same time zone, and at this point, I'm not sure if he's going to be able to handle so many students including me (he's still new as a teacher, and experimenting). Furthermore, the small progress I've made was in Javascript, not Python. I heard that beginner programmers chasing multiple languages is considered a big no-no as well, since we should master the basics first, which I kind of agree. Programming in a single language already feels overwhelming as is, let alone 2 different languages.

    And so, I'm having trouble deciding on my next course of action. As far as I can think, there are a few options

    1. Should I keep my JS momentum, and dive in Gordon's premium course? And if I go that route, should I try to review the free course some more before starting premium?
    2. Should I switch to, and focus on Python, in case my teacher can keep giving me lessons, and study the Modern Python 3 Bootcamp, so tutoring hopefully becomes more effective? Should I go this route, In case my teacher can't keep giving lessons, focusing on the Modern Python 3 Bootcamp would be a possible scenario as well.
    3. Should I just go back to my Web Developer Bootcamp, and keep at it as I did before, while also studying Python on the side, if/when my teacher can give me lessons and homework?

    All of these routes have pros and cons. And honestly, I would love to do them all at once, but I doubt that would be good practice, not to mention that it would likely be too overwhelming, lead to burn out, and probably hinder my study. The most I can (probably!) handle is either Python + JS, or Web Dev + JS.

    JS + Web dev are kind of like a set, and don't feel too conflicting, so I feel especially insecure about going the Python + JS route. Is it really okay to try learning both Python and JS at once? Which of the 3 options outlined above should I take? I have been thinking about this for the past few days, but still unsure on which route I should go.

    Not so TLDR:

    Learned a bit of basic level JS so far. Is it okay to learn Python while learning JS at the same time? If learning both isn't a good idea, even in my particular case, should I switch mostly to Python for the possibility of free one on one lessons + mentor, or keep focusing primarily on JS at this time? And if I go JS +web dev, should I go with my already paid Web Developer bootcamp by Cold Steele, or go for WatchandCode's premium course?

    Thank you for taking the time to read this!

    submitted by /u/Xenofan23
    [link] [comments]

    This is a good book to learn OS concepts?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 10:59 PM PDT

    I want learn things like ram, cpu and others things related.

    I found this book that seems good: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0321968972/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_0321968972

    submitted by /u/rootuser_
    [link] [comments]

    Books/ resources to learn about computer architecture?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 07:11 PM PDT

    For my exam in an intro level hardware course (topics are: general computer architecture, x86 assembly, microarchitecture and digital logic/ VHDL) I'm currently looking for good books that cover the most important stuff. I'm just starting to read Structured Computer Organization by Tanenbaum which has all of the topics I need, but so far does not seem too accessible/ interesting. Are there any great resources you can recommend?

    Thanks a lot!

    submitted by /u/chubby_charlie
    [link] [comments]

    When does JavaScript stop being so draining?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 04:36 PM PDT

    I feel like whenever I'm trying to put myself through learning it, JS is always the subject that takes the most of my resolve to get through. I have a better grasp on it than when I was completely new to the game, but I'm at the point where applying it to actual projects is still rough. For example, I'm building a lorem ipsum generator using my own html and css, along with a written tutorial I found for routing and stuff. After trying to understand why they were using what tools and fixing some of my own bugs, I was spent. I wanted to work on some more styling but all I want now is to lay down haha

    submitted by /u/Toushinu
    [link] [comments]

    Easiest backend (and maybe front-end) stuff to learn after JS, HTML and CSS?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 09:25 PM PDT

    So I've learned C, C++, JS, HTML5, and CSS in that order, but now I want to attempt a project, maybe something like a simple website with user registration, and a chat board/room.

    I'm language agnostic and just want to be able to finish a nice looking project, hopefully within my time constraints so I can balance my project and school workloads together without too much stress.

    I'd also like to note that I know nothing past being able to make a static website, so backend programming (and how it interacts/interfaces with the frontend) will probably be a completely new concept to me (unless I've already been doing similar things without realizing it).

    What things could I easily (or should I) learn next?

    submitted by /u/lemon07r
    [link] [comments]

    [Question-C#] Assigning multiple variables from one keyboard input

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 06:17 PM PDT

    So I'm taking an intro to computer programming course and I have an assignment that requires me to ask the user for a date in MM/DD/YYYY format. I need the day, month, and year each assigned to their own variables so that I can use them in a calculation. I know that the DateTime object is useful for this, but the assignment description explicitly says not to use it, however it doesn't specify what we are supposed to use instead. The only solution I can think of is to accept inputs for the day, month, and year separately, or possibly accepting a single input and then parsing the string by character position (not sure how to do that). Can someone point me in the right direction?

    submitted by /u/thepukingdwarf
    [link] [comments]

    [Java] Hard stuck on modifying array elements to add running sum of original array elements.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 11:38 PM PDT

    Hi I basically have to replace the elements with the one I'm on and the next one right after.

    An example is the array:

    int[] array = {3, 2, 4, 7}; 

    And it must in turn output:

    [3, 5, 9, 16] 

    And after that it must take the updated array above and output:

    [3, 8, 17, 33] 

    My code is:

    public static void runningSum(int[] a) { int[] newArray = new int[a.length]; int total = 0; for (int i = 0; i < a.length; i++) { total += a[i]; newArray[i] = total; } } 

    And my error I get is it is not modifying the array at all and just prints the array without modifications.

    submitted by /u/The_Flash101
    [link] [comments]

    portfolio help/review

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 01:34 PM PDT

    Would you guys take a look at my portfolio and tell me what you think? It's for web dev - https://johnathancoker.com

    submitted by /u/forwinderr
    [link] [comments]

    How to avoid re authenticating a api in a cli program ?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 11:13 PM PDT

    Creating a Cli that work with an external API to Get and Post. I want to avoid logging/authenticating every time a command is sent.

    I have been thinking of using sessions to do that but then i would have to reinitialize a session every time a command is sent as it is not a continuous repl or a custom shell.

    submitted by /u/shlex_root
    [link] [comments]

    RESTful webservice CRUD application

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 10:45 PM PDT

    I am developing Webservices for a simple web application. The functionality includes basic crud applications to a mongodb database.

    The app has very few Api calls and is is a single file flask web service. My question is regarding the db connection object. In my current flask app, I have a global db connection object that is initialized globally as soon as the app is run. The api routes, simply use this global connection to perform the CRUD operations. I'm not entirely sure this is the right way to go about doing this. Should I establish a connection with db everytime an CRUD operation is required?

    submitted by /u/detoxflame
    [link] [comments]

    Data Structures And Algorithms in python 3

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 06:53 PM PDT

    Any sources or places that i can learn python data structures and algorithms. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Spyderbitezz
    [link] [comments]

    What I believe is the best resource for learning how to program

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 06:46 PM PDT

    In this video I explain why I think that the MIT Introductory course is the best way to learn how to program:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPwywPJ2BcE&t=17s

    submitted by /u/rodrigomlp
    [link] [comments]

    Python '#name.py' question.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 10:22 PM PDT

    While learning python I noticed that many examples put #name.py on the first line. The script seems to work well with or with out this. Is it just there to tell you the name of the script? If not what is it for?

    submitted by /u/sangonkim
    [link] [comments]

    Any resources for learning backend development theory?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 10:04 PM PDT

    I'm interested in learning the theory behind how backend systems work. For instance, I would like to learn how requests are processed, how files are served up, how server software runs etc. Essentially, how a web server works from the ground up. I am not interested in learning a particular framework like node or django, just simply how backend systems work.

    submitted by /u/suhhskillz
    [link] [comments]

    Feeding Python values into c?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 09:58 PM PDT

    So, I'm working on a project where essentially I need to do some fancy math in python, get those numbers, and apply them in another script in c. I have no idea how to do this or if it is even possible. Does anyone know of a good way to do this? (i.e. not write the data to a text file and read from it, the transfer has to be more or less instantaneous)

    submitted by /u/Zanolon77
    [link] [comments]

    Retaining info, any advice?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 09:52 PM PDT

    Hey all, first time posting here.

    I've been learning Javascript through freecodecamp for about 2 months now. I spend about 1-3 hours a day going through the lessons and I've found myself forgetting quite a lot of the information I take in. Don't get me wrong, I've learned a lot from where I started. But there's been quite a few times where I come across a familiar problem and completely forget how to solve it. Usually leading to me looking it up on Stack Exchange for a quick reference.

    Any of you guys have some tips on preventing this? I'm open to anything.

    submitted by /u/groovygreg92
    [link] [comments]

    What're some of the efficient ways to calculate and store the relative relating between users?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 09:30 PM PDT

    Here's how my application should work:

    Users need to select an answer(s) from a list of questions. And based on those answers, for each user we need to find the score for every other user. Basically, we need to find the similarity between every singe user and then suggest those users that are most similar to a given user. So for example the questions can be:

    Q1. Choose one color among ["red", "yellow", "blue"]
    Q2. Choose movie(s) among ["x", "y", "z"]
    Q3. Height in inches

    The application is supposed to be like Tinder where users fill up their profile and are suggested a bunch of users whom they can like or dislike. But instead of using some ML recommendation algorithm, there're a predefined set of rules.

    Scoring rules are kind of similar to these

    1. If two users have same choice of color score +50
    2. If two users have same choice of movies then score +100 for each match
    3. If height difference < 0.5, score +50 else score +10

    This is where I am stuck

    1. How do I calculate the relative rating ? The obvious and the most naive way would be to fetch every user and then run a nested loop and calculate the score. Every time a new user register or an existing user updates his/her profile, the loop needs to run again. The expected users for this application is in thousands so obviously this method is not an option.

    2. How do I store the scores ? I am using mongodb.

    Thank you !

    submitted by /u/Ncell50
    [link] [comments]

    Good intro to dynamic programming / recursion resources?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 09:08 PM PDT

    I'm currently enrolled in a non-CS coding major at my university and it's been a great way for me to get started in the field, but the caveat to the program is that there's no focus on algorithms, or dynamic programming so recursion doesn't come up often in the curriculum.

    I've been fortunate enough to get interviews with a lot of large companies, but often find myself falling flat when it comes to coding challenges and technical interviews and was wondering if there were some good resources out there for teaching the basics of recursion, dynamic programming, and algorithmic thinking?

    submitted by /u/kevlovi
    [link] [comments]

    lingering Xvfb processes from selenium

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 10:28 AM PDT

    I have a long-running python script that launches/quits a headless chrome browser to complete some tasks and then goes to sleep for 5 minutes and restarts the process. Every time the python process goes to sleep, it calls

    webdriver.quit() 

    but when I do a

    ps -ef|grep Xvfb 

    i see that there are multiple Xvfb processes whose parent ID matches the python script's PID. I am not sure why they are not being terminated correctly. Anyone have an idea what is happening?

    submitted by /u/mrTang5544
    [link] [comments]

    Tests on site

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 05:07 PM PDT

    google didn't provide much other than an ad for some templates. But so i want to place an aptitude & personality test on my mental health website, so where do i even start? i'd rather it not link a viewer to an external site. So is there a software you can use to make it and just...put it on there somehow...? or i need to learn the entirety of js and write a bunch of variables & outcomes somehow?

    submitted by /u/acp3500
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment