• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 17, 2019

    What have you been working on recently? [March 16, 2019] learn programming

    What have you been working on recently? [March 16, 2019] learn programming


    What have you been working on recently? [March 16, 2019]

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 09:09 AM PDT

    Hello everybody! We're running a new experiment: having weekly "what are you working on?" threads. See the proposal for more details.

    In short, this is a place to share any progress you've made related to learning programming. For example, you could share:

    1. Weekly updates on programming projects you're working on, big or small.
    2. Any major milestones you've hit: completing a challenging chapter in a tutorial, completing your first non-trivial project, getting invited to your first tech interview...
    3. Any other kind of "progress update".

    Here are a few ground rules:

    1. Always include a link to your source code when sharing a project update.

    2. Do not share projects that try doing something illegal or unethical.

    3. Focus on sharing recent updates. Remember, this is a "progress log" thread.

    4. If you've shared something, try commenting on at least one other update -- ask a question, give feedback, compliment something cool... We encourage discussion!

    5. If you don't consider yourself to be a beginner, include about how many years of experience you have.

    This thread will remained stickied over the weekend. Link to past threads here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How does code actually transform into an app, program, etc?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 03:48 AM PDT

    High school student here —I have been trying to learn about coding and computer science/programming for a short while now through some online helpers that are given in class (such as Code.org). But, aside from those already-set programs (where you just add simple beginner code and it'll magically transform for you), how do programmers actually make an app or complex program? How do many lines of code and words turn into, for instance, a game, an app, or a discord bot that has varying visuals, buttons, graphics, etc? How does code visually transform into something like that and how do people test them or start making them? I want to pursue in this eventually but I still don't understand this, thank you.

    submitted by /u/DM-me-your-dogs
    [link] [comments]

    Stuck at junior level, need help

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 11:40 PM PDT

    Hello everyone!

    Last 3 years i was working as java developer, mostly writing lots of business logic for web applications. All my experience based on spring\spring-boot with usage of jpa\hibernate, ibatis, maven\gradle as well as spring related stuff, like a bit of security, a bit of aop, etc. Also done "middlware" projects based on spring-integration to write routing logic for business requirements. Recently i switched my job in order to move forward, but as it turns out i do mostly the same.

    I don't want to quit java for another language\technology. What i want is to learn it more, cause it feels like i'm stuck, i do nothing and learn nothing, experience isn't growing anymore.

    I noticed that majority of java courses created for newbies, therefore it's not easy to find and learn something more advanced(or i'm just suck at searching, that's fine). I do read some books, it helps a lot, but they lack real application examples, that's why i hardly find place to use them.

    So, can you help me to find source to learn my stuff deeper, with real life application examples as well?

    Sentences definitely look clumsy, english isn't my native, sorry for that, and sorry for long text.

    submitted by /u/silent_soft
    [link] [comments]

    How do I avoid overlooking tiny mistakes in my code?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 08:51 PM PDT

    I'm currently taking the CS50x course. CS50 is a free intro to computer science course offered by Harvard and the CS50 and CS50x is the online version on edX.

    Anyways, I got stuck for a really long time on the problem 'Resize (Less comfortable)'. I won't go too much into detail as to what the problem was (since that's not the point of this post), but basically I forgot that there was something that had to be multiplied, which confused the program and gave me some weird results.

    I spent the next few hours repeatedly looking through my code and testing it out with a debugger but was never able to pinpoint the fault myself. Eventually, I gave up and turned to the other posts on this problem on r/CS50, and managed to find a post with similar code to mine, only with one slight difference. Just with that tiny tweak, I have already fixed my program. I tested it and the results are what I expected.

    It feels so frustrating to know you have wasted so much time on a single bug which escaped your attention. Does anybody know what I can do to avoid repeating this mistake?

    Edit: Misspelled 'Harvard'

    submitted by /u/Thisnameisnttaken65
    [link] [comments]

    Kind of psyched that I am pushing myself to move away from text based games and building a simple GUI...I've been working on this most of the day! How are you?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 08:46 PM PDT

    I'm in the process of creating a basic gui game using Tkinter.

    submitted by /u/Zippityzinga
    [link] [comments]

    How long does it take to learn AWS and what resources are there to learn it?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 11:30 PM PDT

    I'm pretty interested in it

    submitted by /u/Kekmistry
    [link] [comments]

    How to get into cyber-physical or embedded systems?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 08:59 PM PDT

    I'm an undergraduate computer science student and a student pilot. I've always been fascinated by cyber-physical systems like airliners, robots, satellites, drones, cars, etc. Most of my knowledge is in web development and basic Python and Java. I took a low level class that included some assembly and basic fundamentals of how computers work (cache, memory addresses, stuff like that) and I'm currently enrolled in a systems class that is covering topics like scheduling algorithms, and queuing. How do I get into the programming side of this? Is C the best language to be learning? I have access to an Arduino and a Raspberry PI are these good places to start?

    submitted by /u/bigced97
    [link] [comments]

    Where, and how, do I learn Assembly?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 06:24 PM PDT

    For uni, I have to learn x86 assembly for an exam in about a month. I know the basics and have an idea on how the majority of the important instructions work, but I have a hard time writing actual programs (for example a function that calculates the signed scalar product of two vectors). Just now I started going through Project Euler problems in assembly, but I think there might be some good resources/ tips that I don't know of (I went through most video tutorials on x86).

    Thanks for your help!

    submitted by /u/chubby_charlie
    [link] [comments]

    I did my best to make this tutorial easy to follow by JavaScript beginners

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 02:05 PM PDT

    I did my best to make this easy to follow by JavaScript beginners

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8sUhU_eq3g&feature=youtu.be

    submitted by /u/th3originals
    [link] [comments]

    How is it that a mobile app for a restaurant can connect to a website or central hub of some kind that the restaurant can use to take orders online?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 06:24 PM PDT

    Hi guys. I hope my question is clear enough, and I hope this is an okay place to ask it. I'm a software engineer, but my experience is mostly with desktop app development, not web based or mobile applications.

    The owner of a local restaurant I frequent has mentioned wanting to expand his business with an official website and mobile app to facilitate placing orders online and such, and it got me wondering how something like that actually works. I'm not necessarily looking for a complete answer here. I'm happy researching it on my own, but the problem I've run into is I'm not sure what I need to be studying. All my google searches so far just end up with existing services for building restaurant sites/apps. Where should I be looking to learn something like this?

    submitted by /u/Spiderranger
    [link] [comments]

    How quickly can I "familiarize" myself with Python?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 10:04 PM PDT

    Over spring break, I'm doing a sort of workshop for Computer Science at a nearby university and a lot of the "workshops" there ask for you to be "familiar" with python, a language I have never used before. Now, as this is a program for high school students (so 9th-12th grade), I assume they mean the level of familiarity one would reach in an introductory high school course as a minimum. I have experience with Javascript (mostly for web-apps, but I've dabbled in object-oriented Javascript and learned the basics there), so I've got a conceptual understanding of most of this stuff (I think). So, given that I have a handful of full days of nothing else to do during the beginning of my spring break, is it reasonable for me to "familiarize" myself with Python's syntax and cover the absolute essentials (loops, objects, properties, classes, etc) before then?

    Note: I have nearly two weeks and half of that time will be during spring break.

    submitted by /u/DoubleCman
    [link] [comments]

    Simple question, in C# how do I let the compiler know that " is part of the string, so it won't end?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 09:46 PM PDT

    I completely forgot and google is actually not helping me for some reason.

    Edit: Solved!

    submitted by /u/Crazypete3
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on what to learn next?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 05:49 PM PDT

    I have learned web development, and python. Any advice on what to learn next to improve my skills,

    submitted by /u/Srk7654321
    [link] [comments]

    Codecademy and TOP

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 12:08 AM PDT

    I am wanting to self learn coding and actually be able to apply what I learn. I've done a little bit of both of the title websites. Which would be best for what I want to do? I hear codecademy is lackluster in the "here's how apply it".

    Also, is it worth it to purchase pro on codecademy?

    submitted by /u/BattleDuckTV
    [link] [comments]

    Order of array content is not consistent in JSON response

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 11:45 PM PDT

    Brought over from this StackOverflow question.

    So, I have this nested set table in Postgres, here's the schema and data. And I have this controller function code below in my Express app to get the nested category as an array using Knex and some promise handling:

    const getCategories = (req, res, db) => { const products = [] db.raw(` SELECT child.id, child.name, child.path FROM product_category parent JOIN product_category child ON child.lower BETWEEN parent.lower AND parent.upper WHERE parent.id = 1 AND ( SELECT COUNT(*) FROM product_category node WHERE child.lower BETWEEN node.lower AND node.upper AND node.lower BETWEEN parent.lower AND parent.upper ) = 2 `) .then(categories => { if (categories.rows.length) { const categoryPromises = categories.rows.map(category => { return db.raw(` SELECT child.id, child.name, child.path FROM product_category parent JOIN product_category child ON child.lower BETWEEN parent.lower AND parent.upper WHERE parent.id = ${category.id} AND ( SELECT COUNT(*) FROM product_category node WHERE child.lower BETWEEN node.lower AND node.upper AND node.lower BETWEEN parent.lower AND parent.upper ) = 2 `) .then(subcategories => { const categoryObject = { ...category, subcategories: [] } if (subcategories.rows.length) { subcategories.rows.map(subcategory => { categoryObject.subcategories.push(subcategory) }) products.push(categoryObject) } else { res.status(400).json("No subcategories") } }) }) return Promise.all(categoryPromises) .then(() => res.json(products)) } else { res.status(400).json("No categories") } }) } 

    I have no problem getting the response but the ordering of the first level of objects inside the array is not consistent. Sometimes it is like this:

    [ { "id": 9, "name": "Other Products", "path": "other_products", "subcategories": [ { "id": 10, "name": "Slides", "path": "slides" }, { "id": 11, "name": "Buoys", "path": "buoys" } ] }, { "id": 2, "name": "Boats", "path": "boats", "subcategories": [ { "id": 3, "name": "Rescue Boats", "path": "rescue_boats" }, { "id": 4, "name": "Dive Boats", "path": "dive_boats" }, { "id": 5, "name": "Tamarans", "path": "tamarans" }, { "id": 6, "name": "Dragon Boats", "path": "dragon_boats" }, { "id": 7, "name": "Kayaks", "path": "kayaks" }, { "id": 8, "name": "Speedboats", "path": "speedboats" } ] } ] 

    Or like this:

    [ { "id": 2, "name": "Boats", "path": "boats", "subcategories": [ { "id": 3, "name": "Rescue Boats", "path": "rescue_boats" }, { "id": 4, "name": "Dive Boats", "path": "dive_boats" }, { "id": 5, "name": "Tamarans", "path": "tamarans" }, { "id": 6, "name": "Dragon Boats", "path": "dragon_boats" }, { "id": 7, "name": "Kayaks", "path": "kayaks" }, { "id": 8, "name": "Speedboats", "path": "speedboats" } ] }, { "id": 9, "name": "Other Products", "path": "other_products", "subcategories": [ { "id": 10, "name": "Slides", "path": "slides" }, { "id": 11, "name": "Buoys", "path": "buoys" } ] } ] 

    How do I make it consistent? Maybe it is a bit trivial but it's getting a bit annoying after a while. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/jp0678
    [link] [comments]

    What to do if I dont really have a problem in my daily life that i could solve with programming?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 08:27 AM PDT

    Most people seem to offer the advice that when first learning to program, you should look for a problem in your day to day life that could be solved by programming something, which is a great idea!

    But there's a thing about me; I am a pretty dull person. I go to work, come home, play some video games or watch Netflix, then scroll through social media until bed. None of this really offers any sort of problems that could be solved through code.

    Would I be best off just picking any kind of beginner project and seeing where I go with it? Or should I look for ideas that I could possibly expand upon? (The latter, I worry about ending up thinking of something too ambitious and having it turn out to be far beyond my skill level)

    Side note: I also worry about developing something that already exists, but my understanding is that that should be pretty much ignored as it's about you learning, not necessarily making something new.

    submitted by /u/Vaz612
    [link] [comments]

    I have 5 months before entering college as a CS student. What should I be learning now to prepare myself?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 09:44 AM PDT

    Hello fellow learners!

    As a soon-to-be undergraduate of CS, I'm looking to pick up as much useful information as I can before college starts so as to better adapt to school when it starts. Right now, I've went through codeacademy's Java course and designed a simple calculator and also freecodecamp's HTML and CSS courses, designing the 4 projects at the end of their course. I'm now looking to head into Python and deciding where to pick up Python and start on my own Python projects, however any other suggestions would be useful, thank you!

    submitted by /u/TheBestLiesAhead
    [link] [comments]

    Why is my backgroundworker not updated my progress bar? C#

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 10:54 PM PDT

    I just learned about progress bars and backgroundworkers about an hour ago. I was curious why it's not running correctly? I just get the messagebox popup immediately I'm just trying to do a quick and dirty method so I can understand what's going on.

     public partial class Form1 : Form { BackgroundWorker backgroundWorker1 = new BackgroundWorker(); public Form1() { InitializeComponent(); this.backgroundWorker1.DoWork += new System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventHandler(this.backgroundWorker1_DoWork); this.backgroundWorker1.RunWorkerCompleted += new System.ComponentModel.RunWorkerCompletedEventHandler(this.backgroundWorker1_RunWorkerCompleted); this.backgroundWorker1.ProgressChanged += new System.ComponentModel.ProgressChangedEventHandler(this.backgroundWorker_changed); progressBar1.Enabled = progressBar1.Visible = false; } private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) { progressBar1.Enabled = true; progressBar1.Visible = true; progressBar1.Minimum = 0; progressBar1.Maximum = 100000000; progressBar1.Value = 0; progressBar1.Step = (100 / 100000000); backgroundWorker1.RunWorkerAsync(); } private void backgroundWorker_changed(object sender, ProgressChangedEventArgs e) { progressBar1.Value = e.ProgressPercentage; } private void backgroundWorker1_DoWork(object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) { int sum = 0; for (int i = 0; i < 100000000; i++) { sum++; backgroundWorker1.ReportProgress(sum / 100000000); } System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(10000000); } private void backgroundWorker1_RunWorkerCompleted(object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e) { progressBar1.Visible = progressBar1.Enabled = true; MessageBox.Show("Done"); } 

    submitted by /u/Crazypete3
    [link] [comments]

    How do I learn object oriented programming?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 10:39 PM PDT

    Hi. I have been working with python for a little while but wanted to get into java and c#. I started learning c# so i could do more modern back end stuff like database communicayion, mvc, etc. I am stuck with that whole classes and objects thing. I mean, I know the 'What'... like, ya... i create an 'animal' class/object , 'employee' class/object, etc etc etc... I get how it all works. I just can't wrap my head around the 'Why', or more importantly, 'when?'. To elaborate, what I mean is - 'When would I create a new class while writing code?'. How would I know when to split something into it's own class vs keep going in the same file.

    Can anyone give me some resources where I can clarify these doubts? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

    submitted by /u/aabbbbaaa155
    [link] [comments]

    CosmicLearn PDF Ebooks

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 10:15 PM PDT

    Peer code review website

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 05:57 PM PDT

    Hi so I remember seeing code review website which looked similar to stack exchange. Basically someone posted his code and other person answered him by suggesting/making changes to the code. However I cant find this website anymore.

    It had light blue (aquamarine) layout if I remember correctly.

    submitted by /u/datapim
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone give me an example of "reproducing the bug" (debugging technique)

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 05:52 PM PDT

    I'm learning a lot about debugging and a lot of online resources say "reproduce the bug before you start changing the code..." . However, they don't give an example and I'm a little confused on it.

    Can someone give me an example of "reproducing the bug" as a debugging technique ? I'm a little confused about this.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/thesquarerootof1
    [link] [comments]

    When I use dev tools to take a "heap snapshot", it comes in at 57mb. Is that too large?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 09:21 PM PDT

    I opened up Reddit, and it seems to only be using 2mb.

    Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

    https://i.imgur.com/S86bHg7.png

    submitted by /u/lawandordercandidate
    [link] [comments]

    What's a good book for learning C# from?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 09:18 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a very comprehensive book so I can become leagues better than I already am in C# (I'm definitely a beginner right now, just one small side project). I have a job lined up this summer using C# so I definitely want to have a good handle on it before I start.

    submitted by /u/One-Of-Everything
    [link] [comments]

    Becomming an mobile app developer

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 09:18 PM PDT

    I want to learn to code mobile apps, where do I start? I have no experience coding. What books, bootcamps, videos or other resources will help me?

    What's THE most important thing i should be spending the next 12 months on?

    submitted by /u/edgesandleaks
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment