• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 20, 2019

    Thank you! learn programming

    Thank you! learn programming


    Thank you!

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 01:41 PM PDT

    Thank you to this community and to r/learnpython

    I work in big data now and utilize Python and SQL and sometimes Ruby. 2 years ago I was just starting to learn how to program - I was about halfway through first college programming course. I had never worked with any programming language before when I went back to school at 37. People told me that a woman my age had no business trying to do this.

    Like I said though: I have a professional job in big data now. I work from home. I really like my job, and I know that I have security in my career with the skills I have built. Thank you to this community and so many others who helped me learn this skillset that I am improving my life and the lives of others with.

    submitted by /u/DollyPartonsFarts
    [link] [comments]

    C# and ASP.NET: A language and a platform that most newbies overlook, but they've provided me with an awesome career for 20+ years

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 10:00 PM PDT

    I mostly lurk here to keep an eye on industry trends. As a lurker, something I've noticed...

    It sure seems like most people who are leaning to code go for the sexy languages (Python, for example, followed by Java). I hardly ever see post here saying something like, "Hey! I'm learning C#!"

    So here's a quick list of reasons why I would encourage anyone who wants to be self-taught to come out of the gate learning C# instead of either Python or Java:

    1. The demand vs supply ration is hugely in your favor. And by that I mean... there may be more companies who use Python and Java. But there are also a TON of Python and Java developers out there, and more are hitting the job market every day flooding out of bootcamps, etc. The number of companies looking for C# developers is still extremely high, but the supply is also powerfully low. What this means for you is tons and tons of opportunity in a not very crowded market place.
    2. C# is an awesome language for people who don't have a degree in computer science. Why? Two reasons. First, it's all around just an easier language. It has many built in features that make coding in it simpler. And second, there is a vast ocean of small to mid-size companies out there who are thirsty for C# developers but who won't drag you though a Google style intense job interview process to make sure you are a super-smart genius. They'll just want to know if you can code.
    3. Microsoft has really put together an all around awesome platform with .NET, which is an entire eco-system for software development that brings together front-end tools, database tools, server-side coding, and even cross platform mobile development into a single environment, all of which is created using Visual Studio (which has a free and powerful community edition).

    Bottom line... As a C# developer, the demand for my skills is nuts. I get 4-5 emails a day, and just as many voice mails and LinkedIn messages from recruiters and hiring managers who are desperate to fill C# positions and who want me to apply.

    It's a language and career choice I've never regretted, and as I mentor up-and-coming developers, I always try and nudge them towards C#!

    submitted by /u/CaseyCrookston
    [link] [comments]

    Self taught Data Analyst 1 month into my job and I'm leaving. Some less talked about things for self-taught folk:

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 06:59 PM PDT

    I posted about my new DA job and how I went about studying for a little over a year to get it a while ago. Well, now I'm leaving for greener fields. Being paranoid about coming up short and losing my job, I never stopped applying and ended up with a slightly better offer from a MUCH better company. I start there in a couple of weeks with much more confidence and even more excitement. Here are a few things I learned during that one month though.

    • Small/mid-sized companies probably don't need a data analyst/data scientist. They need DBAs and data engineers. I spent 95% of my time writing ETL jobs. I have done barely any math or analysis of any kind. If your boss doesn't understand the state of the data, the state of the infrastructure, or how much work it takes to get good data into place...you're gonna have a bad time. You WILL be judged by the cliche expectations that data + data analysts can solve any business problem. It's SOOO important to look for places with built infrastructure or AT LEAST with people who understand its importance.

    • Even with better infrastructure and data hygiene most of your time will be spent gathering and cleaning data. Analysis is the tip of the iceberg. And no, no one else will pretty the data for you. You are the SQL monkey.

    • As I said before, expectations will be high. Take advantage of your first week to set up your environment. I have only been working at this company for about a month but even so I've saved a TON of time by configuring my IDE, computer, deployment tools, etc to my personal workflow the first chance I got. I wrote some default templates for scripts that cut ~5 to 10 minutes, and more importantly, some cognitive load off writing new ones while maintaining quality. They're also set up to encourage me to document the code better. I feel really good about how well I documented my work for the next girl or guy who has to pick it up. If your boss is technical this will be a plus for you.

    • On a similar note, if you are at a smaller company then deployment is your job as well. Don't think that you can create the model and then hand off an ugly jupyter notebook to someone to put into a usable form. End to end.

    • Talk to people. DA is NOT a purely technical role. You HAVE to talk to your boss, the sales team, your teammates, the client, and everyone else. Especially at the beginning since they have so much business logic and knowledge that you need. Even down the line in your entry level job you are probably there to serve their needs, not to "drive the company in the right direction" or whatever the Medium articles tell you that you can do with data. If it doesn't affect the decision makers then it doesn't matter.

    • Get it out quickly. You're new and you'll be forgiven if you make a mistake, which you will. Get the report out in 15 minutes and have it be sent back with 5 issues to be corrected. Don't send it out after 2 hours with 2 issues still needing correction.

    • Say 'No' and 'I don't know' often. You definitely don't know how fast you can do that task. You may know how fast you can do it on that curated data set, in that flavor of SQL you learned in that MOOC. But you don't know how to do it with this garbage or confusing data on the systems used by the company that you've never touched, let alone how long it'll take you. There are dozens of tiny problems that will stop you and slow you down and you DO NOT know about them yet. Under-promise and don't even think about over-delivering until you know the systems well.

    • It's a stepping stone. Try to 'manage' the urgent stuff and really excel at the important things when the opportunity arises. Those few chances are where you make progress. Don't rule out school. I had some doubts about becoming a self-taught analyst. Obviously I decided to pursue it. Now though, I honestly can't imagine learning higher level stats on my own while working. It's a different level. I can't make that call now but I am definitely gonna think hard about more school if I want to dive into deeper stuff later in my career or just be in control of my own destiny.

    As for why I'm leaving, it's the money, location, benefits, culture, and most importantly the work. The new place has a more mature ecosystem. I'll get to spend more time working on things that make me better.

    submitted by /u/DeepAlternative
    [link] [comments]

    App idea for learning music

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 11:12 PM PDT

    As a musician, I found an app called Vocal Pitch Monitor on Android that does an excellent job of visualizing exactly what a person's voice is singing.

    I have the idea that this sort of app could be combined with a kind of game like Flappy Bird, where the person has to move to avoid obstacles by consciously changing the pitch of their voice.

    I teach music to young children with limited music experience, and I would like them to be able to learn to control their voices in painfully short class sessions - this seems like it would be an effective teaching tool. My coding chops are not great, so I know this is feasible but I have no idea how to go about it.

    submitted by /u/Boloar
    [link] [comments]

    Programming Advice to improve as a Programmer?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 09:02 PM PDT

    Hi guys!! I need some advice to improve myself as a programmer. A bit of background, I am currently learning C programming language now for my embedded system class, however it seem I always struggle on the "starting part" or to begin the program. I understand the basic function and syntax and all, but it seem I always struggle with just starting when given a problem.

    My question is how can I improve as a programmer? what are some strategies that I can employ to think creativity and problem solve and implemented that into programming?

    I want to learn hacking in my own time, but programming is a big hurdle for me, however I am willing to learn and put in the effort. Any advice on how to improve my skills would be appreciate.

    thank you, I'm looking forward to hearing from you all!

    submitted by /u/Valak911
    [link] [comments]

    What is the freelancing scene like outside of web development.

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 07:06 PM PDT

    As the title says, I'm wondering what the freelance scene is like for non-web development projects. Also, what would be a good no web development language to learn for non-web development freelancing.

    submitted by /u/Parrna
    [link] [comments]

    Good podcasts to listen to about programming or similar?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 11:54 PM PDT

    Are there are podcasts that might help me with learning code? I've been teaching myself to code for a couple months now so I'm not a super beginner but obviously knowledge is still lacking. I go to the gym pretty often and it would be nice to be listening to something more productive while working out. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Yummy275
    [link] [comments]

    Clean Code Lesson series (8 weeks)

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 12:11 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, I am a passionate.Net developer who loves sharing what I am most passionate about- clean code.

    Every week, 9PM EEST I do lessons on Twitch. Discord is also involved, for those who want direct interaction and easy participation in workshop (ofc available through chat as well in Twitch) I have been teaching programming casually for a year now. Topics include basics of C#, OOP, Visual Studio, Git. Clean Code Lessons are still a new thing. They consist of two parts: theory and premade workshop. If there are not enough people for workshop, it gets skipped.

    Next lesson is lesson 2.

    Topics: Week 1: Easy to read and understand code Week 2: Clean Functions Week 3: OOP Week 4: SOLID Week 5: Objects and Data Structures Week 6: Design Rules Week 7: Code Smells Week 8: Testing and error handling

    Here is the material that I made so far. Lesson 1: easy to read and understand code- https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1rg2GZGKDFyh6sxlVGyYqGGjryB9kadC-U37lPBS78Vs/edit?usp=drivesdk Lesson 2: functions- https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1LienFR8kZuuEpA3bGMfcwqYQbJzpYM1J0oEYCO0-cZk/edit?usp=drivesdk

    Workshop so far: https://github.com/Almantask/CleanCodeSeries.Workshop

    Everyone welcome to join! 🙂 If you are interested and want a discord or twitch channel link, let me know in the comments.

    P.S. Discord is mostly C# based and there we help people with their questions and discuss code. If you are willing to contribute with your experience, feel free to say what you don't like and want to improve or join the community 🙂

    submitted by /u/Kaisinell
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone have a suggestion on a good backend course

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 09:29 AM PDT

    I have been learning frontend for about 8 months and feel pretty comfortable with it. Now I have decided to learn backend to tie it all in and possibly be able to do some freelancing.

    So my question is what's a good course to get started learning backend. Everywhere I have looked usually just gives me a path to take rather than a place to start. I was considering taking Colt Steele web developer bootcamp but I'm looking for more of backend as frontend will be more of review.

    I am considering node.js but python Django stack would work as well as I have a little knowledge of python.

    Thanks again for all y'alls help

    submitted by /u/n00bDevOp
    [link] [comments]

    What is a good resource for learning different programming concepts?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 09:31 PM PDT

    For example, I've been hobby programming for a while now. Nothing super serious, but I'd like to call myself a "competent" programmer in a few languages.

    Only today did I learn about the concepts of binary and ternary trees. It's likely I'd never have even found out about these concepts if it weren't for a friend bringing them up when talking about an autocomplete project he's working on.

    Is there a good resource for learning about established ideas and concepts for doing different things?

    submitted by /u/littletray26
    [link] [comments]

    Is learning from TeamTreeHouse good?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 07:12 PM PDT

    What do you think of TeamTreeHouse?

    I recently joined and started learning Python from them. So far I like them. But it's also because I haven't tried other sites.

    What are your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/prasantbagale
    [link] [comments]

    What keywords should I search for to see what programming jobs are in my area?

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 12:46 AM PDT

    I'm a total noob and would like to get an idea of what employers in my area are looking for.

    submitted by /u/jonnybebad5436
    [link] [comments]

    Why Does This Compile (Java)?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 08:35 PM PDT

    I have an interface named School

    I have an abstract class named Course

    I have another concrete class called Computing that extends Course and implements School

    I try to run

    School s = new Computing();

    System.out.println( ( (Course) s).getSize () );

    And this compiles fine. How can this compile? At compile time, how can you cast s (a School reference) to Course if the two don't have an is-a relationship?

    submitted by /u/dessertprincess
    [link] [comments]

    I need to memorize and be able to write out 4 blocks of code for an exam in 15 hours, what's the best way to do this?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 11:43 PM PDT

    So, basically for my exam my professor has given us blocks of codes that we need to be able to memorize line by line. The problem is, code isnt exactly something that is easy to find patterns or structure in like words and sentences. If you're readying the following blocks of code and can't make out a single word or pattern, thats exactly how I feel . I know what the code will output, and if the questions asked me to use the concepts, I'd be fine. The problem comes from needing to rewrite this code without looking at it line by line. The code itself isn't that important but I'll include it just in case. All this stuff is public and i'm not breaking any of my university's rules btw

    edit: guys, i get I should learn and understand and not memorize, but my professor is grading this exam based on how perfectly i can regurgitate the exact code. I get the concepts. I literally just want to not flunk out of 20% of my grade

    Block 1

    void moveDisks(int n, char start, char finish, char temp)

    {

    if (n==1)

    {

    printf("Move disks from %c to %c\n", start, finish);

    }

    else

    {

    moveDisks(n-1, start, temp, finish);

    printf("Move disks from %c to %c\n", start, finish);

    moveDisks(n-1, temp, finish, start);

    }

    }

    void main()

    {

    int disk;

    int moves;

    printf("Enter the # of disks you want to play with:");

    scanf("%d", &disk);

    moves = pow(2,disk)-1;

    printf(\nThe No of moves required is =%d \n", moves);

    moveDisks(disk,'A','C','B',);

    }

    Block 2 ( i have to know all 4 examples

    Example1

    O(n^2)

    for (k=1; k<=n/2; k++)

    {

    sum = sum + 5;

    }

    for (j=1; j<=n*n; j++)

    {

    delta = delta + 1 ;

    }

    Example 2

    O(n^2)

    int func1(int n)

    {

    int i, j, x=0;

    for (i=1; i<=n; i++)

    {

    for (j=1; j<=n; j++)

    {

    x++

    }

    }

    return x;

    }

    Example 3

    O(n)

    int func3(int n)

    {

    int i, x=0;

    for (i=1; i<=n; i++)

    {

    x++

    }

    for (i=1; i<=n; i++)

    {

    x++

    }

    return x;

    }

    Example4

    OLog(n)

    int func4(int n)

    {

    while (n > 0)

    {

    printf("%d", n%2);

    n = n/2;

    }

    }

    Block 3

    struct stack* pop(struct stack **front)

    {

    struct stack *temp;

    temp = NULL;

    if (*front != NULL)

    {

    temp = (*front);

    *front = (*front) -> next;

    temp -> next = NULL;

    }

    return temp;

    }

    Block 4

    int push(struct stack* stackPtr, int value)

    {

    if (full(stackPtr))

    return 0;

    stack Ptr -> items[stackPtr -> top+1] = value;

    (stackPtr -> top) ++;

    return 1;

    }

    submitted by /u/adclimb
    [link] [comments]

    I know Java and Python, now what other languages do I need to learn to be successful in getting internships and jobs?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 11:09 PM PDT

    The languages taught at my college are first Python, then Java, and it seems like for the most part that upper level classes use this too, with maybe some quick references to languages like C for teaching organization and assembly languages. Are Java and Python enough in the professional world, or do I need/should I learn other languages before graduation and what languages would be useful.

    submitted by /u/A_GratefulDude
    [link] [comments]

    Making an Archive

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 10:36 PM PDT

    OK, so I really want to start working on a long project (so don't respond with, ohh, that's going to take a long time. I know dummies).

    I want to make an archive in which I can store any information in at any time, and be able to pull up whatever information I need on the spot from my computer, and phone. While I'm dreaming, I want to have a voice recognition too that I can use to have a robot to tell me all of the information I'm looking for. xD

    My question to you people (I'm really just looking for advice) is what I'll need on this adventure. What languages, if I'll need a server, etc.

    I know what some people may be thinking:

    Just use the internet dude, everything is on there anyway.

    My response to that would be, shut up.

    I plan on being places where I do not have access to the internet, and I would like to store my information down on the spot whenever I have the chance. I would just buy a journal, but there is definitely safety in the fact that everything would be stored on the cloud. Also, I want this archive to be personal. The fact that it will be 100% mine, not the internet's, is a damn cool idea.

    I know and understand the obvious dilemma. If I don't have internet while I am gathering information, it won't automatically upload to the cloud. For that, I guess I would just have to be extra careful whenever around places I cannot store information.

    Again, I'm just looking for advice. I really have no idea what languages I'll need to be using to start working on it. I'm also not sure how to create a link between the server I create and my phone so I can upload information.

    Thanks guys.

    submitted by /u/LiquidateRope
    [link] [comments]

    Android Studio: Kotlin or Java?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 06:41 PM PDT

    Should I learn Kotlin or Java for Android app development?

    submitted by /u/heimerdawg
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with Network Programming

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 06:31 PM PDT

    Evening /r/learnprogramming

    .

    The reason for this post, as the title suggests, is because I'm struggling with network programming in Python specifically.

    .

    Heads ups, its a homework assignment. Anyhow, HERE is the assignment prompt. And HERE is my solution thus far the OUTPUT I'm getting. As you can see, I'm never sent the "version" number. Instead, it returns 'Error: invalid request.\n' before disconnecting me.

    .

    Can someone please help me.? What am i doing wrong.? Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and good day. Cheers!)

    submitted by /u/spacemonkey243
    [link] [comments]

    Raptor Flowchart Program Technical Question

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 09:58 PM PDT

    how do you run your program without having to sit there and watch it go through every step? Can I run this like I would a python program (where it executes everything immediately in like 50ms)?

    submitted by /u/mkh-
    [link] [comments]

    Should I take Calc3 or Diffeq

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 09:57 PM PDT

    I have all of my math classes finished for graduation requirements, but which one should I take just to learn more?

    (graduation requirement is up to calc 2 + engineering stats + linear alg comp sci degree btw)

    thanks!

    submitted by /u/Ayd3n
    [link] [comments]

    Probable Stupid question alert!!

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 09:56 PM PDT

    Guys I am a computer science (CS) and I just learned some programming language like python ,C , C++ ,Java. I can code some simple programs like a calculator or rock scissor paper game. So does this makes me eligible for calling my self a programmer ?

    submitted by /u/sumit_subedi
    [link] [comments]

    Java Primitive Types and Objects

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 09:33 PM PDT

    From what I've learned, Java is always pass by value and either the exact bit representation is stored in memory (in the case of primitive types) or the location represented in bits is. My question is, how does Java know that the bits assigned to a value is a primitive type or a pointer to an object?

    submitted by /u/PyroAddict
    [link] [comments]

    Me and my brother were thinking about making a program to test the kids choice awards voting system to test and see if the voting were actually legit. How would we do this?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 09:29 PM PDT

    So a little more explanation.

    Me and my brother have been seeing kids choice award ads all over twitch, and been super annoyed. After looking on the site for about an hour, we thought up this idea:

    We wanted to see if there was a way to vote on the site over and over for the purpose of seeing if the voting system was actually legit, or if the whole thing is just rigged to support their company's products/shows.

    Is it possible to do this? If so, how?

    submitted by /u/Chortles_
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible for an idiot to learn Fortran or any other "legacy" language? Trying to find a way to make myself employable someday.

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 09:25 PM PDT

    So I'm unemployed with nothing but time on my hands. I've heard that a lot legacy systems use Fortran and everyone who knows it is set to retire or die.

    The problem is I am garbage at math. And by "garbage" I mean "bad compared to people who are good at math, but not necessarily too bad". I got a 64 in first-year linear algebra, but I didn't try very hard. I wasn't very good at it though. My math skills are better than say your average Arts major, but awful compared to people who actually study CS and math.

    I have a vague interest in retro computing and I've messed around with Linux before, but I am by no means anything close to a computer scientist. I didn't major in computer science for a reason. But now that I am out of school I am little more motivated and I've learned that there are some seriously stupid—like people who lose their entire life's savings trying use a crooked (as if there is any other kind) cryptocurrency exchange to transfer their money instead of just paying for a wire transfer—people who can make a living programming computers. I am thinking I may have over estimated the difficulty of it.

    I know I should probably start with something like Python, but I am never going to be able to compete against those who have degrees in CS or something without learning something seriously niche. So what other niche languages are out there that I could possibly learn? I guess C is pretty useful. I've got a Mac with a perfectly good terminal emulator so I feel like I should probably learning something that is commonly deployed on *nix systems.

    I dunno. I am just rambling. I'll probably never be gainfully employed. It isn't like I have a burning desire to program computers or something, nor do I have any sort of need. I've somehow managed to get through life without ever really having to program anything. The most difficult thing I've ever done is some programming in Scheme, but people tell me that it isn't applicable to real life (I was garbage at it).

    submitted by /u/vinylfascist
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment