• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 12, 2019

    PSA: Let's Get Colorblind is an extension for Chrome/Firefox that can simulate color vision deficiency. Use it to test if your CSS colors are CVD friendly! web developers

    PSA: Let's Get Colorblind is an extension for Chrome/Firefox that can simulate color vision deficiency. Use it to test if your CSS colors are CVD friendly! web developers


    PSA: Let's Get Colorblind is an extension for Chrome/Firefox that can simulate color vision deficiency. Use it to test if your CSS colors are CVD friendly!

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 06:40 AM PDT

    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lets-get-color-blind/bkdgdianpkfahpkmphgehigalpighjck

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/let-s-get-color-blind/

    TL;DR: This addon let's you simulate color vision deficiency by changing CSS colors and raster images. So now you can quickly check for yourself instead of having to ask that one colleague and repeatedly be shot down.

    EDIT: It also can Daltonize, which automatically shifts colors towards CVD friendly alternatives, so it also helps if you're colorblind like me.

    Usually that has ugly results, it doesn't always help, and it is different per type of color blindness, so isn't quite as useful for designers. Still, it's a quick way to get an idea of which alternative color palettes might work better.

    This week a friend of mine asked me to do a usability test for a website he is designing. At first I thought his buttons always looked disabled for some reason, but it turned out he used turquoise for the button color, which I see as light grey.

    So I sent him the links to this add-on so he could see for himself. He was both shocked and intrigued and is now simulating color blindness on All The Things.

    Now, I don't blame the color-normies for struggling with getting this right even once they realize it's a problem and want to help: it's physically impossible to imagine which color combinations are hard for us.

    And even if you have a CVD friend or colleague: in practice asking for help ends up being a slog for all involved (I speak from experience). First you have to do your best to design something that looks good, then go to your CVD friend and ask "is this readable?", they'll say no, you go back to try another color combination, you're told again there's a new problem, repeat until exhausted and demoralized, all the time accepting aesthetic compromises. And then once you finally got a color map that works for your friend, you might discover that what works for deuteranomally does not work at all for protanomaly. Nooooo!

    But with this add-on you can very quickly check the most common CVD types very quickly. So that should speed things up at least. Still can't help with the aesthetic compromises though (but remember that using different shapes and textures is inherently color-blind friendly).

    submitted by /u/vanderZwan
    [link] [comments]

    Automated responsive font sizes

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 05:38 AM PDT

    Wordpress's Gutenberg Editor page is a fully interactive example of the Gutenberg Editor

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 02:33 AM PDT

    This is quite impressive actually, and lots of fun: https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/

    submitted by /u/imaginethehangover
    [link] [comments]

    A JavaScript-Free Frontend

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 08:14 AM PDT

    What's the nicest/cleanest way to build a bootstrap WP theme now?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 03:20 AM PDT

    For the last couple of years or so I have been building sites only in Laravel with Vue and bootstrap. I love it!

    Sadly though I built a few WP sites over the years, and one of them because it is for family I need to smarten up a bit. But obviously I don't want to redo everything it just needs a nice new theme.

    I will make the theme from scratch because I remember trying to adapt others was a PITA. And I also remember trying out pagebuilders like Divi left everything a horrible jumble of code. So i used the Genesis framework and it was, well OK.

    Have things moved on? Is there a decent framework I can just get working in a day or so? I'm kind of dreading going back into the hooks and loop and all that WP shit!

    submitted by /u/psyick
    [link] [comments]

    What Knowledge base software does your company use internally?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 01:47 AM PDT

    What software do you use? Google Drive? Anything else?

    submitted by /u/FahadUddin92
    [link] [comments]

    Is self-taught web dev a viable path for escaping the underemployment trap?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 10:59 AM PDT

    I'm in a typical millenial situation...got a useless, unmarketable degree and have been stuck in a cycle of low paying entry level (at best) type jobs for almost a decade now. (Mainly extremely rote, low paying office assistant type stuff.)

    It seems like the only way out of this rut is to learn some in-demand skills. I did some research about front end web dev and it seems promising.

    If I were to self-teach myself the basics of html, css and java (edit: javascript) would that possibly open any doors? Could I possibly land a entry level type job as a front end web dev with just a small portfolio of completed 'freelance' projects?

    I'm pretty much willing to do whatever it takes to advance career wise. I'm just curious to know if this is a viable plan or not, based on other people's experience.

    Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before, I'm sure it has...

    submitted by /u/kcharles520
    [link] [comments]

    More MarkUp or more CSS (SCSS)?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 02:36 PM PDT

    A lot of css frameworks provide you many utility classes like:

    • flex, margin, justify-content, position-r and so on...

    I always used as few markup as possible and do the rest in my SCSS. But if I look at all new frameworks it seems like the trend goes to more markup and less SCSS/CSS.

    What do you do and why? And where do you draw the line?

    submitted by /u/TatzyXY
    [link] [comments]

    Javascript Shinies: New and coming features of JavaScript

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 08:49 AM PDT

    KV Storage, the Web's First Built-in Module | Web | Google Developers

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 11:19 PM PDT

    GDPR: cookie banner for an almost static website

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 02:43 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, I'm new to the webdevelopment so forgive me if I don't use terms correctly.

    A friend of mine has a website for her university course and asked me to make it GDPR compliant. The website uses a plugin called wikka, written in php, that serves content stored in a MySQL database ( so the site should be dynamic, but the content is basically served like a static page ).

    In order to make it GDPR compliant the first thing that came in mind was the use of cookies and personal data.

    I checked with Chrome developer tools every page of the site and there isn't a single one that uses cookies or that gathers data from the user.

    Do I still need to create a banner for the use of cookies/data? If so, what would I need to write in it ?

    Edit: Just found out the site contains a login system ( basically used only by the owner of the site to edit the pages ), so I guess this closes the case.

    submitted by /u/Jinglock
    [link] [comments]

    I want to stop being underpaid

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 03:36 PM PDT

    I don't know if this is the curse of being a developer from a developing country because I don't have any other justification.

    I'm Full stack developer (React/Node/Ruby/Elixir)

    Recently I had two sour experience while I'm job hunting, I'm being working remotely professionally for 4 years and decided to switch job as I wanted to increase my pay.

    So I spent time sending resumes, writing cover letters and solving hacker rank tests and assignments that get requested by the companies that I applied two (from sites like WeWorkRemotly).

    some companies are polite and tell me they only hire a developer from the European Union or be in North America timezone which is okay and understandable.

    What not understandable that I spent a month interviewing with two big companies, doing stuff like solving hacker rank test then assignment then pair programming interview then I get an offer for 24$ per hour.

    And that not the worst thing, one of the companies said they did research in my region and offer me a contract according to my country current market rate (which actually lower by half in my country standard even their salary research got it wrong).

    I mean you put the salary range in the job posting for the god sake when I mentioned I that expected my salary will be in the range of job posting.

    one mentioned that is for full-time employee while I'm going to be a contractor, which is funny as in their draft they want me to work 40 hours a week for an entire year renewable so I'm basically full-time employee without the benefits and lower salary.

    And the second one they said it is in their company policy is to use market rates in the applicant's country of residence yet it was never mentioned once in the interview process or the job posting.

    currently, I'm feeling demotivated and it seems no matter how I try I'm going to hit an artificial glass ceiling caused by something out of my control.

    Maybe I'm asking to know if there any developer from a developing country who managed to work for a company with a salary of 60k or something.

    submitted by /u/ThatWeirdPCGamer
    [link] [comments]

    How to build a stats-driven widget to share your blog posts

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 03:31 PM PDT

    Sponsorship logo page/WP plugin

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 03:26 PM PDT

    Greetings, a friend is looking for sponsorship plugin for their existing WordPress site or a single independent page.

    This page could have a grid which people pay a set price for, upload an image, image is checked for size, then that space is taken and payment taken via a merchant.

    At this moment I'm looking for ideas from people as to how I can help them out.

    Thinking also maybe a simple quantity check which would go down as each space is taken.

    Anyone think of a plugin or page which could do what they need?

    Thanks,

    submitted by /u/blabley
    [link] [comments]

    What is the effect that tumblr uses on their landing page?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 03:10 PM PDT

    It's where a slight slight scroll will slide the whole next section? it's like a vertical carousel. Does anyone know of any kind of link to get an idea of how they did it for a non-wordpress site - bootstrap style preferably, but pure html/css/js is fine as well. Thanks

    submitted by /u/manabovethesky
    [link] [comments]

    Junior web dev interview questions

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 02:55 PM PDT

    So I'm preparing myself for my job search and interview process. I've read a lot about it, what keeps coming up is the whiteboarding. I think that's fine and good, most people are saying interviewers will give problems that they don't fully expect the junior dev interviewing, to know the full solution to. So if that's the case , are they looking for the ones that give it their best shot, and show determination/eager to learn? Like say you can do 80% of the solution successfully, but the last 20% you just give it your best shot even if you know it is certainly the wrong code , then when the interviewer gives constructive crisitim, you react nicely and accepting of the feedback, as well expressing that you want to learn and understand that 20% you didnt know, by asking the interviewer questions about that bit of code? Does this sound right/what they're looking for? I know every interview is different and no 2 companies will do it the same way. I just want to have an idea as to what to expect. I am very eager to learn and absolutely love to code, one of my favorite things to do. I wish I had a mentor that would help educate me, but I'm still grateful I'm able to learn on my own.

    Location would be massachusettes, but any and all interview information is welcome from any locations.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Jayboii478
    [link] [comments]

    [Question] How to make JS timer, duration of which could be changed after the timer has been started?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 02:32 PM PDT

    Hi, everyone.

    Have a question and hope someone could help me with this.

    I have a need to build Countdown Timer, duration of which could be changed after that timer has been started. Pretty much what's on the video below (add/subtract from): https://imgur.com/a/YfnmTT2

    I found useful plugins, and I would like to use one, but I don't now how to implement addition/subtraction in real time. (I just want to understand how change duration in real time with updating this and left time values on screen)

    This are the plugins I found: http://git.wimbarelds.nl/TimeCircles/readme.php Or https://albert-gonzalez.github.io/easytimer.js/

    I'm not skilled in js, maybe it could be done even simpler, without any 3rd party plugin at all. Both those that I mentioned has event listeners binding, but, again, maybe I'm looking in wrong direction.

    Would appreciate any guidance or help on this. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/vladguren
    [link] [comments]

    What do you guys think about this position: Junior Digital Analytics Developer

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 02:26 PM PDT

    I am applying for Junior Digital Analytics Developer at a big telecommunication company in Canada. This is a full time contract position so there's no benefits I assume. It comes with mentorship program, so I think it will be valuable.

    Here's the job desc:

    • Ensuring that data flows smoothly from the website and app into our Adobe Analytics report suite
    • Support the development of internal processes and documentation governing all aspects of Adobe analytics tagging, implementation, QA and reporting, including continuous improvement of these processes.
    • Conduct regular audits of digital analytics implementation identifying recommendations to improve data structure and reporting
    • Work collaboratively with product teams to create valuable data that drives our insights and reporting. Communicate findings and recommendations in a professional, clear, and actionable manner, articulating next steps and recommendations to various audiences including executive level.
    • Manage quality assurance of all Adobe Analytics implementations and provide recommendations to provide insightful, best-in-class digital channels reports and dashboards, and adherence to service level agreements with lines of business, partners and the overall Digital team.

    I am interested in Data Science and think this is the path I will go. So this position seems to align with where I am going.

    I don't have a college degree. If I could get the position at company it's gonna be a leg up on my future.

    But I do have 2.5 years experience as a full stack developer, and this is only a junior contract position. Do you guys think this is a great opportunity or a meh?

    And how should I prepare for this kind of interview? Because I never had interviews with big company before. Any tips?

    submitted by /u/crazyinsoul
    [link] [comments]

    Mod_Rewrite

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 02:25 PM PDT

    What methods are there to verify if mod_rewrite is working ? And what is required within the htaccess file as so I can place a re_write to handle paths ?

    submitted by /u/SonicSkunk
    [link] [comments]

    Webfaction migrating to the GoDaddy Platform. RIP Webfaction.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 10:31 AM PDT

    Well this can't be good:

    Dear WebFaction customer,

    We previously emailed to let you know that WebFaction has joined
    forces with GoDaddy to bring you an even stronger hosting company
    you'll love.

    Now, we'd like to let you know that we've started the process of
    evaluating the migration strategy.

    Don't worry, nothing will change for you yet. We'll make sure that
    all the important details – including the overall timeline – are sent
    to you early enough to give you plenty of lead time to prepare for
    the upcoming migration.

    What you need to know:

    • We expect the migration to take place in the Summer.
    • We'll stop selling new products in April, but don't worry – you won't
    lose any of your current features or services.
    • If you want to buy additional products after this, you can do this
    directly at https://www.godaddy.com.

    We will work towards making the change as pleasant as possible for
    you. At this time, you don't need to do anything. We'll keep you
    informed throughout the process.

    If you have any questions about this or anything else, head to
    https://my.webfaction.com/ and please talk to us.

    Regards,
    The WebFaction Team

    Anybody know of another host that gives you similar services to webfaction -- developer oriented but they run the servers, the email, handle security patching, etc.? I specifically don't want to run my own machine on Digital Ocean or similar.

    submitted by /u/dordal
    [link] [comments]

    Storing Images With Title and Description

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 02:09 PM PDT

    Hey everyone. I've been wondering. Companies like Facebook, Instagram, and others essentially allow users to post images and text along with the images together. So an image may have a title and a description. Does anyone know how they go about storing this data? Do they use Gridfs?

    submitted by /u/zakir112
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with tinymce

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 10:17 AM PDT

    How do I prevent < > parsing tinymce to &gt ?

    I do not have HTML content in it, but regular string which has text like

    <some data>, <some text> 

    it is being saved as some data '& gt;'

    How do I save it exactly like this . I need to use this data somewhere else where it should match exactly like this, but its already encoded. I have already tried using entity_encoding: 'raw' and encoding: 'xml'. But they still end up encoding before saving. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/aijazkhan81
    [link] [comments]

    What is the name of the effect used very often in portfolios where certain elements appear after you've scrolled down and reached a certain point?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 07:56 AM PDT

    I want to learn how to do it but I can't figure out what am I supposed to search in Google in order to find any tutorials.

    submitted by /u/Bozhidar95
    [link] [comments]

    Having trouble aligning a fixed position nav bar with the body

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 01:48 PM PDT

    Hello, I am making a university website which would hopefully be used for a university reach out program and would look great on my resume (I am a student and an employee). I've been having trouble getting my nav bar to format correctly once I change to position to "fixed" in the css once the user scrolls past the nav bar. The nav bar then becomes translucent and remains fixed while scrolling unless they scroll back up. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the "alt" nav bar to fit well with the body of the page, particularly when the body shifts size. It is always shifted either too far to the right or left. The site is based on the following example site, particularly the css used. https://html5up.net/massively, though the html is completely altered and much of the css as well, particularly with the nav bar (as I've said, I have a version working that switches the nav bar to fixed once the user scrolls past it, this site doesn't even attempt that as it is now.) If anyone could attempt to edit the css on this site to allow an alt nav bar to follow the user while they're still scrolling, I'd greatly appreciate it!

    submitted by /u/matt96k
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment