• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 13, 2019

    Probably just found the best website for learning a programming language learn programming

    Probably just found the best website for learning a programming language learn programming


    Probably just found the best website for learning a programming language

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 01:25 PM PDT

    LearnCS.org

    • The website has courses for Python, Java, HTML & CSS, Go, C, C++, Javascript, PHP, Shell, C#, Perl, Ruby, and Jobs.
    • It's completely for free.

    DISCLAIMER: This is not an ad/propagation/self-promotion. I am not affiliated with the website nor the owner(s) in any way and I was not paid or promised anything for posting this.

    So I am pretty efficient in Javascript (can use some frameworks and libraries too) and I wanted to get into another programming language, C#. I was searching for a good tutorial/website/course to learn the language because the website I used to learn JS (freeCodeCamp) is only for web development. It took a while but then I stumbled upon this website.

    What I find extremely useful and somewhat unique about that website is the pace. This website teached me the same stuff in 25 minutes that would take hours if not days to learn using other sources. I feel like here they just get all the useless crap out of the way and go straight to the actual stuff you need. And they do actually explain it well, plus every piece of code on the website can be executed in an interactive compiler where you can change every piece of the code which really helps you understand many concepts. Also, at the end of each page, it gives you a small excercise.

    I'm not sure if this website would be the right choice for someone who is entirely new to programming, but for me, a person who already knows a programming language quite well and is looking to learn a new one quickly, this is the perfect resource.

    submitted by /u/merkur0
    [link] [comments]

    Any online resource (Udemy, Coursera) that walks you through coding up an entire website (full-stack)?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 07:22 PM PDT

    Wondering if there were any reputable courses that teaches you how to code up a product using all relevant languages and technologies (a full-stack approach). Think this is how coding bootcamps do it but wanted to see if there was anything online.

    submitted by /u/lotyei
    [link] [comments]

    Is there an equivalent to Nachos for Software Development?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 11:53 PM PDT

    I am trying to come up with ideas to design a course to teach students how to build an application. The idea is that there would be an existing application that students have to work on, to improve and add features. The motivation is to enable them to start working on real code without much setup and to provide an insight into realistic working conditions. I heard there is an OS named Nachos which is a similar idea and intended to use to teach how operating systems work. Any ideas are highly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/avotoastlover
    [link] [comments]

    New to SQL need some help on a query I would like to do.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 11:09 PM PDT

    I want to write a query that returns the names of country pairs that share the same ocean and are also neighbouring each other directly.

    I created a sample database in sqlfiddle here it is: sqlfiddle.com/#!9/cbf382/1

    I am confused on how you interact with other tables that were not a table you selected. I want to take the two countries in border and compare them against the sea table to make sure they share the same sea but I am very lost in that regard.. I'm sure this is really basic and I'm missing a simple step.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/nothanksm800
    [link] [comments]

    What is your preferred Impromptu language for string manipulation?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 10:17 PM PDT

    * title: preferred language for impromptu string manipulation

    Mine is python in the terminal. With slicing, splitting, and list comprehension it gets the job done. But sometimes I have to use excel's the data to table options.

    I am forcing myself to use regex, and start using pandas or numpy as an fast alternative to excel.

    I have seen people swear by bash or command line scripting when it comes to on the fly string manipulation

    submitted by /u/anyfactor
    [link] [comments]

    [Help] Transition to DevOps / Software Development

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 12:50 AM PDT

    Hello there,

    I'm a quiet young SysAdmin in a Research facility in Germany and I feel like my Job gets more and more irrelevant with all the DevOps and Cloud based Software.

    I feel like I need to prepare doing more DevOps / Software Development work in the comming years.

    Do any of you feel the same way? Or has anyone of transitioned successfully over to DevOPs / Software Development from SysAdmin?

    Every respone is gonna be appriciated.

    Thanks in advance

    Multi

    submitted by /u/MultiBulf
    [link] [comments]

    Portfolio attachment

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 12:32 AM PDT

    whats the neatest way to attach your portfolio to your resume on employment apps like seek, jora and indeed. Thanks guys! :)

    submitted by /u/bobbystaleto
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner C++ project. Need help formatting output in specific way.

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 12:14 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    Beginner C++ project. Calculating the placement of three runners with the input of 3 names and 3 times.

    The program I wrote works fine (albeit somewhat long).

    However I am running into issues formatting the output correctly.

    My professor requires us to turn in our homework through an online code checker.

    Picture of the output format required. https://imgur.com/a/WfQtH3s

    The expected output is the format required.

    It appears that the data is separated into two columns since spaces are shown as bullets, and there is only one bullet in the output.

    setw and length both shown spaces also.

    Is my issue with my input, and I should take the cin in a different way?

    Is there another way to format the output?

    Thank you in advance.

    //System Libraries #include <iostream> //Input/Output Library #include <string> #include <iomanip> using namespace std; //User Libraries //Global Constants, no Global Variables are allowed //Math/Physics/Conversions/Higher Dimensions - i.e. PI, e, etc... //Function Prototypes //Execution Begins Here! int main(int argc, char** argv) { //Set the random number seed //Declare Variables string run1, run2, run3; int time1, time2, time3; //Initialize or input i.e. set variable values //Map inputs -> outputs cout<<"Race Ranking Program"<<endl; cout<<"Input 3 Runners"<<endl; cout<<"Their names, then their times"<<endl; cin>>run1>>time1; cin>>run2>>time2; cin>>run3>>time3; //Display the outputs. Building if else trees. { if (time1 < time2 && time1 < time3) //Checking if run1 was 1st. { if (time2 < time3) //If run1 was 1st, finding 2nd and 3rd. { cout<<run1<<time1<<endl; cout<<run2<<time2<<endl; cout<<run3<<time3<<endl; } else { cout<<run1<<time1<<endl; cout<<run3<<time3<<endl; cout<<run2<<time2<<endl; } } } { if (time2 < time1 && time2 < time3) //Checking if run2 was 1st. { if (time1 < time3) //If run2 was 1st. Finding 2nd and 3rd. { cout<<run2<<time2<<endl; cout<<run1<<time1<<endl; cout<<run3<<time3<<endl; } else { cout<<run2<<time2<<endl; cout<<run3<<time3<<endl; cout<<run1<<time1<<endl; } } } { if (time3 < time1 && time3 < time2) { if (time2 < time1) { cout<<run3<<time3<<endl; cout<<run2<<time2<<endl; cout<<run1<<time1<<endl; } else { cout<<run3<<time3<<endl; cout<<run1<<time1<<endl; cout<<run2<<time2<<endl; } } } //Exit stage right or left! return 0; } 

    submitted by /u/WhatsACode
    [link] [comments]

    Help with shifting an array for C++

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 08:27 PM PDT

    I'm creating an array manipulating program and one of the functions I have to create is making a function that will shift the array to the right by however many the user wants. I am not supposed to have any cin or cout statements in the function. I have no idea how to do that and I've been looking through my text book for an hour. Can anyone help me? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

    /*Header goes here*/ #include <iostream> #include <cstdlib> #include <ctime> using namespace std; /*Given Global CONST variables reperesnting MAX and MIN size array in program is able to be within. Use these variables throughout your program whenever referring to the array's MAX and MIN size bounds*/ const int MAX = 40; const int MIN = 5; /*Given Function prototypes*/ void PrintArray (const int arr[], const int size); void Delete(int arr[], const int size, int a ); void Shift(int arr[], const int size, int a); void Reverse(int arr[], const int size); void menu(); int main() { int arr[MAX]; //creation of array, with max size MAX. int value; char menu1; int value2; cout << "Welcome to the array manipulator!" << endl; cout << "How big would you like to make your array?" << endl; cout << "Enter a value 5 --> 40: "; cin >> value; if(value < MIN) do { cout << "Try again: "; cin >> value; }while(value < MIN); if(value > MAX) do{ cout << "Try again: "; cin >> value; }while(value > MAX); do { menu(); cin >> menu1; if (menu1 == 'F' || menu1 == 'f') { cout << "Please enter intergers 1 - 100" << endl; for (int i = 0; i < value; i++) { cin >> arr[i]; } PrintArray(arr, value); } else if (menu1 == 'R' || menu1 == 'r') { Reverse(arr, value); PrintArray(arr, value); } else if (menu1 == 'X' || menu1 == 'x') { } }while(menu1 != 'Q' || menu1 != 'q'); //Enter a loop that presents the user with the menu and manipulates array based on menu choice. return 0; } /*Your function declarations here*/ //GIVEN: PrintArray Function //This function prints the contents of any interger array of any size seperated by commas void PrintArray(const int arr[], const int size) { cout << "\nThe array:\n { "; for (int i = 0; i < size-1; i++) // for loop, prints each item (not last due to comma handling) cout << arr[i] << ", "; cout << arr[size-1] << " }\n\n"; // prints last item , no comma } void menu() { cout << "\nMENU: (or SELECT Q TO CANCEL)" << endl; cout << "F - Fill Array: RANDOM Values 1-100" << endl; cout << "R - Reverse Array Contents" << endl; cout << "X - Shift Right" << endl; cout << "C - Change Array Element" << endl; cout << "D - Delete Array Element" << endl; cout << "A - Print Average" << endl; cout << "M - Print Max Value" << endl; cout << "G - Grow Array Size by 5" << endl; cout << "S - Shrink Array Size by 5" << endl; cout << "P - Print Array" << endl; } void Reverse(int arr[], const int size) { int temps = size-1; //makes tempsize nonconstant and SIZE-1 int temp = 0; //initialize temp for (int i = 0; i < temps/2; i++) //starts counter at 0, increases counter, runs while counter is less than half SIZE { temp =arr[temps-i]; //makes temp the element with index of Size-1-counter arr[temps-i]=arr[i]; //makes element with index of SIZE-1-counter what ever element is stored in index spot of the counter arr[i]=temp; //puts whatever is in temp into counter index position } } void Shift(int arr[], const int size, int a) { 
    submitted by /u/toro228
    [link] [comments]

    What technologies implementations should a web developer know?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 12:12 AM PDT

    Good day people I will write a short summary so that you can understand better the question.

    I'm a mexican living on mexico.

    I graduated as a software engineer from a local college (the technical title is something like Computed Systems Engineer), so my first job was on a funeral services company that used windows forms, most of its code was pretty messy and dated from 2005, some formularies had over 30K lines of codes of redundant processes, on this first job I learnt.

    +How to properly do methods to save up on coding expenses.

    +Make code that can be re-used (on a basic leve)

    +The basics of C# winforms and webforms

    +The basics of javascript and how .NET works, checked also a bit of Entity framework (mostly bug fixing)

    +How to find bugs on extremely messy codes.

    So, I decided to move from this job once I worked for the company for 1 year because I felt like I had learnt quite a bit and most of the work was becoming bug fixing from the previous iterations of a prior decade's code.

    Next company was a more serious software developing oriented company.

    I got totally crushed once the first project came in, CSS, SASS, Angular JS, API's production as well as consumption, how to make front end operations with TypeScript, how to cleanly do HTML, how to make good designs and bla bla bla...

    Basically I was raped violently. The senior developers would often mock me for having an engineering degree but not knowing the basics of those technologies (despite me being a junior with only 1 year and a few months of experience) so basically, while I learnt the basics of those technologies, right now Im unemployed (was terminated from my previous job due to health circumstances and incompetence) and will soon become work-able active once more, I would like to become a better software developer, my aim is to become one day a full stack developer.

    Right now, I know that I need to learn more about theory regarding C# (for starters) like how OOP trully works and how to maximize its potential, also how to make interfaces.

    However, when it comes to the whole spectrum of web developing I'm seriously overwhelmed, so I wished to know, from the experts out there (that I know are eager to crush me just like my past colleagues) what paths should I look for in order to start learning better, what should I focus on, any reccomendations for books, sites for learning,sites for challenges, technologies I should investigate?

    I have done some investigation by myself, however I kind of feel like Im throwing blows at random on the air, which is why, again, I wish to approach the experts, so that one day in a few years I can also be decent enough on the craft!

    Thank you very much for reading my plea, have a good day!

    Side note; I originally posted this on the programming subredit, a good man linked me here, he said I could get more answers from here as well! thank you very much!

    submitted by /u/Star_Dust__
    [link] [comments]

    What's the difference between a text file and a binary file?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 05:50 PM PDT

    I've googled it, but no one seems to really know. They all regurgitate the same answer, that binary files are bits, and text files are characters. Aren't text files also binary files? Does the microcontroller recognize characters? Thanks for your responses.

    submitted by /u/SideHustleGVL
    [link] [comments]

    Completely new to programming

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 05:42 PM PDT

    Hello! I have just signed up for a class in coding and have downloaded Python. Do you guys have any tips on books, videos or other information that could be useful to help me get started?
    Could you recommend a good IDE for beginners?
    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/EncodedVulpes
    [link] [comments]

    Cheap certificates

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 11:12 PM PDT

    Recently, i saw this ad by some company, "pay for lessons when you get a job, if you work for 1000$ or less you dont own us anything"

    But, when i contacted them, pricing is about 15k $ and i am not sure for how much lessons....

    Thats a lot of money, can you sugesst some good certificates that are good for beginners to have (for Freelace sites)?

    Not sure how much codeacademy python certificate cost... I am interested in Python, HTML.

    submitted by /u/Bane_30cm_4sprat
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone here taken these Gale courses for programming? Were they worth your time?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 11:04 PM PDT

    I don't know if you have to log in to see them. But basically, they offer introductory and advanced courses in "Just BASIC", Java, C++, C#, Javascript, making web/mobile apps using HTML5/Javascript, making websites in WordPress, all that stuff. They're free for me because of my library account, but I was wondering if I'd just be wasting my time doing these... Or were they slow enough paced to where I could/should learn each introduction language at the same time, or just pick one of them and use other sources to supplement that one language?

    https://education.gale.com/l-lvccld/SearchResults.aspx?CurrPage=1&CategoryId=69&Sort=RELEVANCE&PrevSort=RELEVANCE&SortAsc=True&PageSize=25

    submitted by /u/Lopsided_Baby
    [link] [comments]

    I don't understand the logic of this code and its Output. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 10:50 PM PDT

    double i, sum = 2;

    for(i = 3;i<8;i++)

    {

    if (i%4 ==0)

    {

    sum = Math.pow(sum, i);

    break;

    }

    else

    sum += i/2;

    }

    System.out.println(sum +"");

    The output for this is 150.0625 but I don't understand how.

    submitted by /u/Gamer7Infinity
    [link] [comments]

    Node js and express using mongoDB. How to get a field from a promise?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 10:27 PM PDT

    Edit: sorry for bad title I'm using mongoose not mongoDB

    Just wondering if anyone can tell me how to get a field from the promise I get back from find one?

    Profile.findOne({ Profile: req.params.handle}).then(friend => { const newFriend = new friend({ initialAccepted: true, initialUser: req.user.id, secondaryUser: {{this is where I want the parameter from the promise}}

    ...code goes on

    submitted by /u/javaDudeMan
    [link] [comments]

    How to build a webcrawler using permissions?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 10:25 PM PDT

    I've been practicing building web crawlers with some success mainly using scrapy, but so far I only crawled web pages that are open to the public.

    I want to crawl a web site of which I have a subscription that grants me access via a login but I am unsure how to do this or where to start.

    submitted by /u/insanelylogical
    [link] [comments]

    Back pain from programming??

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 10:24 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, I've been a full stack developer for the past 4 years at a mid sized tech company. I was hired straight from college at the age of 21.

    I'm currently suffering from immense back pain due to my long hours of programming. I was wondering if anyone else suffers from pain while working.

    Looking for suggestions on improving my back pain. All suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/chefcurry300
    [link] [comments]

    Fast speech recognition libraries

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 10:19 PM PDT

    I'd like to make a chat bot, but I've been experimenting with a few voice recognition libraries, and they've all been fairly slow. Is there anything I can do to make speech recognition faster?

    submitted by /u/limbwal
    [link] [comments]

    Automating data changes in CI pipeline (Rails)

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 10:19 PM PDT

    I have a CI pipeline for testing and deploying code, but I'm still doing some tasks by hand that I would like to automate. Mainly these changes are data changes. For example, if I add a feature that requires me to add a column and then populate it I'll use a rake task. How are people automating this so that it can be deployed and rolled back if necessary?

    submitted by /u/developerw
    [link] [comments]

    [Javascript] Preserving class constructor initialization

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 10:03 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I came across this problem in JS which is to display a class constructor with the initialized property, alter the property, and then display the original and altered property. So for instance:

    class Foo { constructor(name) { this.name = name; } display () { ... } } ... const newPerson = new Foo("Billy") console.log(newPerson.name); // expect Billy newPerson.name = "Sarah"; newPerson.display() // expect "Sarah / Billy" 

    My question is, how should one preserve the object initialization property, and then after updating it, can print out both?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/tacticalnoo
    [link] [comments]

    Best resource to learn DS & A?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 09:54 PM PDT

    I wanna try the Stanford Algorithms: Design and Analysis

    Is this one of the best one or are there any better?

    submitted by /u/Demon_Slayer151
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to make Custom Alerts for HTML Forms in a similar manner as the 'required' attribute (A small text box beneath the text input)

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 09:52 PM PDT

    For the 'required' tag in HMTL Forms, a small text box appears beneath the text input if the user hasn't input any data into the provided space. Is there a way to display custom messages/text using the same mechanism.

    Sorry for the weirdly worded question. It's just a bit hard to explain.

    Example of the Text Box

    submitted by /u/Ryukononon
    [link] [comments]

    Data Flow Diagram data flow term for deletion?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 09:22 PM PDT

    Let's say the user chooses to delete his account. His deletion choice (data flow) goes to Delete Account process, then another data flow to the data store that causes the deletion. What should I call this data flow?

    submitted by /u/HyRanity
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment