• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 13, 2019

    A very preliminary release of LibLET (a library to explore formal languages and parsing) Computer Science

    A very preliminary release of LibLET (a library to explore formal languages and parsing) Computer Science


    A very preliminary release of LibLET (a library to explore formal languages and parsing)

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 03:43 PM PDT

    Career Paths in Cyber Security vs Data Science

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 03:26 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am an undergraduate computer science student, and I currently have exposure to most of the major computer science subfields, and I am trying to decide which subfield to commit to specializing in. After taking some electives courses and working on small personal projects ( to find out what I like / don't like ) , I've narrowed my interests down to Data Science and Cyber Security. I find both industries fascinating, but I would like to decide soon which of the two I should dive fully into so I can get relevant research and work towards a graduate program in that said industry.

    Personally, I do better in classes requiring creative problem solving, and visualizations. Relative to my peers, Id say i'm average in terms of programming, and above average in terms of analytics, probability/statistics, and developing algorithms. Other strong points of mine are soft skills such as presentations, technical writing, and communication. My weakest areas are in applied mathematics to computer science, and problems involving the usage of multi-variable calculus.

    In terms of careers, I would hate a career that becomes mundane and stagnant after doing it for a while ( some of my peers have told me some CS careers are like this) . I would like to do work where I can be involved with a variety of tasks that require me to think of creative solutions rather than doing repetitive work. I also would prefer work where I'm not sitting at a desk all day, and that I am given the opportunity to meet with others to discuss current issues and potential solutions to them. Some of my peers told me that certain computer science jobs (such as game programming ) regularly go into overtime, and results in making work-life balance very difficult. Though I wouldn't mind this sort of environment occasionally, I definitely don't want this to become the norm.

    If anyone has any insight into the career outlooks of either of these fields, please let me know. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/sidho
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have experience with McGill’s computer science camps

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 12:08 PM PDT

    I was looking at the digital media Academy computer science camps at McGill University does anyone have any experiences with them? https://www.digitalmediaacademy.org/canada-tech-camps/mcgill/

    submitted by /u/MaGirlDooger
    [link] [comments]

    Languages for understanding DSLs?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 11:59 AM PDT

    Languages for understanding DSLs?

    I.e. what host language would be useful for the study of DSLs (in practical programming contexts)?

    submitted by /u/mavavilj
    [link] [comments]

    The Travelling Salesman Problem-an Hydraulic Solution?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 06:56 PM PDT

    Set up a TSP example using channels between nodes representing the distances between them.

    Start filling the channels with a fluid, say Mercury. Let the nodes be unconnected points in an electric circuit, programmed to alert when they become individually connected, and when all are connected.

    Isolate the last connected point and its connecting channel.

    Repeat the experiment until the penultimate point is connected. Isolate that last connected link and its channel.

    Repeat until only the original two points in the shortest route remain.

    The route of the successively isolated routes is the shortest route. Meanwhile all other routes are being tested simultaneously.

    Wouldn't the Run Time scale in proportion to (n)+(n-1)+(n-2)+....(1)=(n*(n+1)/2), where n is the number of nodes?

    submitted by /u/jenpalex
    [link] [comments]

    Request Review for paper about P versus NP

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 06:43 PM PDT

    P versus NP is considered as one of the great open problems of science. This consists in knowing the answer of the following question: Is P equal to NP? This problem was first mentioned in a letter written by John Nash to the National Security Agency in 1955. However, a precise statement of the P versus NP problem was introduced independently by Stephen Cook and Leonid Levin. Since that date, all efforts to find a proof for this huge problem have failed. Another major complexity class is coNP. Whether NP = coNP is another fundamental question that it is as important as it is unresolved. We prove there is a problem in coNP that is not in P. In this way, we show that P is not equal to coNP. Since P = NP implies P = coNP, then we also demonstrate that P is not equal to NP.

    https://zenodo.org/record/2589813

    submitted by /u/frankvegadelgado
    [link] [comments]

    New SOTA on Instance Segmentation: Mask Scoring R-CNN Tops Mask R-CNN on COCO

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 08:21 AM PDT

    Google Debuts TensorFlow 2.0 Alpha

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 09:52 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment