• Breaking News

    Monday, March 11, 2019

    Dev Update: It's Been 55 Days Since I Quit my Job

    Dev Update: It's Been 55 Days Since I Quit my Job


    Dev Update: It's Been 55 Days Since I Quit my Job

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 03:38 AM PDT

    Today being day 56. This seems like only yesterday.

    I actually cannot quite comprehend how it's been that long already, it's scary how quickly the time has gone by! Anyway I thought I'd drop by with an update for anyone that is interested.

    --------

    TL:DR - so far so good! The content itself is complete (bar bug fixes & polish), Xbox One porting is going really well, we have been speaking to Publishers but are yet to sign a deal with anyone, we're attending a few game expos, and we're not far from fully completing everything!

    --------

    PLANNING

    I spent quite a bit of time in the run-up to going full-time Indie preparing and creating a plan of attack. Everything that was left to do was time-costed and mapped out onto a Production Roadmap. I simply used Google Sheets to set this up:

    A snapshot of the Google Sheets Roadmap (top-left red section has critical dates, such as 'Days left till Content Due' which I've hidden for this)

    Myself and Ant (the Artist) went through absolutely everything and in most cases were quite conservative with our time-costings to account for unforeseen issues, sickness, etc. Once we had everything mapped out, we reviewed how that married up with our preferred release date, which actually led to us cutting a few things to keep the scope in-line.

    This took a bit of time to do, but was probably the best thing we did in this entire project. It helps to maintain a unified focus between us, triggers red flags when things take longer than expected, and highlights any knock-on effects any delays might have.

    DEVELOPMENT

    I definitely hit the ground running in the first few weeks. I had a plan, I had a focus, and I had extremely high motivation. I did a crazy amount of work in the first 2 months looking back, including:

    • New character animations for all 4 characters (roughly 35 anims per character, some big some small)
    • Made 3 New Battle Arenas and Plugged them in
    • Made 2 New Race Maps and Plugged them in
    • Plugged in 4 New Race Maps that Ant Made
    • Recorded VO for 2 Characters (one was me, one was my daughter), edited an Plugged them in
    • Implemented 2 New Game Modes for Single Players (Challenges and Time Trials)
    • Plugged in a New Character Outfit Change System (this was WAY more work than anticipated)
    • Added Ambient Sounds to all levels
    • Created Several New Gameplay Mechanics (river rapids, booby traps, kraken tentacles, shifting volcanic platforms, and more!)

    And amongst all that I've been writing a blog (link at the bottom), drafting Pitch Emails for Publishers (which also means making, testing and fixing up a playable Dev Build along with other dependencies), posting on Social Media, applying for Exhibitions, setting up a Steam Page, and generic (read 'never-ending') bug fixing!

    I'm starting to feel happy with how the game is looking :)

    Processing gif k4xpl2e9xgl21...

    I am also glad to say that for the most part (and I mean about 90% of the time) I have accomplished everything during regular shift patterns. No crazy overtime or crunch, just dedicated and focused shifts. There has been the odd occasion where I've had some late nights, or worked during the weekends, but on the whole I'm really pleased with how disciplined I've been on this front.

    Things have slowed down ever so slightly over the last 2 weeks or so though, as I've moved onto......

    XBOX ONE PORTING

    It has been a challenge, I have to say. I had spent a good few months in 2018 (on and off) taking a look at this whole process and trying to get my head around it. Luckily the support on the Unity Forums (we're building the game in Unity if you didn't know) is really fantastic, I know for a fact I would have been completely lost without that support. In addition, the folks over at Microsoft's ID@Xbox program are so, so awesome - I cannot praise them highly enough. So whilst it has been a real doozy trying to figure out some of the technical issues I've encountered, I have overcome them all with the help I have received.

    I said things have slowed down, and that doesn't mean I've lost motivation or passion, it just means the process of getting things working on the Xbox is pretty slow. A lot of it comes down to printing out debug messages to the screen (this is all I can really see when running on Xbox Dev Kit) to see where things fall down. So adding debug logs to code, building the game in Unity, deploying to the Dev Kit, testing the build, it not working at all because YOU FORGOT TO SET THAT GODDAMN BOOL TO TRUE AGAIN BEN means that it just takes a lot longer than usual to get things working, with lots of downtime waiting for things to build/deploy. I even managed to make a GIF during said downtime...

    Processing gif hrfgfkphtgl21...

    Having said that, I am now getting very close to completely finishing the Xbox One Port. I have a few things left to do, but User Management and Save/Load Game Data (two of the trickier/more complicated tasks) seem to be working well! We of course still need to test the crap out of everything, and I'm sure that will throw up a bunch of issues I'll need to fix, but I'm feeling quietly confident that everything is going to be just fine.

    WHERE I'M AT NOW

    As it stands I'm in the thick of porting the game to Xbox One, and I'm due to finish this in its entirety by the end of this week. The Content Due date is fast approaching, though as I said earlier - all of that is done as it stands. We are toying with the idea of adding a few more things though, to enhance the UX, but that could probably be considered as polish rather than additional content.

    Once the Xbox Porting is done, I'll be packaging it up for an Optional Certification Submission (so that Microsoft can take a look at the state of the game and perform a 'test-run' on it's viability for release). After that I'll be moving onto the Game Trailer (still not sure if we'll handle that ourselves or outsource), and finally moving onto Frame Rate Stability, Bug Fixes and Polish.

    The end is in sight now, which is both exciting and absolutely terrifying!

    --------

    And that's it! I have been trying my hardest to document the journey in the form of a blog, which you can read here if you're interested.

    Also, we're going to be showing the game at the following events this year, so we might see you there!

    1. Insomnia 64, NEC Birmingham
    2. Play Expo, Manchester Central
    3. Casual Connect, The Queen Elizabeth II London
    4. Norwich Games Festival, The Forum Norwich (TBC!)

    Thanks for reading!

    --

    Ben

    Programmer, miniBeast Game Studios

    Developing Must Dash Amigos

    ps. I see you anedevmek over there like - but I don't know what else to title this post, and hopefully there are some people out there that might find this interesting :)

    submitted by /u/miniBeast_Ben
    [link] [comments]

    My First Devlog thing | Creating a mini boss for my game in Game Maker Studio 2

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 09:17 AM PDT

    Great White Shark 3D Model Animated

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 09:30 AM PDT

    How important are degrees to set foot into the gaming industry?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 08:48 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    My question is basic. If you compare mostly a 3 year banchelor degree in Game engineering, vs a masters degree in Game Engineers. What difference does it make in the gaming industry?

    I'm not exactly talking about writing code for some indie studio. More being a programmer engineer for a decently sized studio, or even a big one like blizzard etc.

    I've heard that a degree helps you open doors, and a portfolio with good projects help you get through the door. How true is this?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/SGZealotry
    [link] [comments]

    8 Frames in 16ms: Rollback Networking in Mortal Kombat and Injustice 2

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 11:02 AM PDT

    Teaching VR with Magnum Engine

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 09:39 AM PDT

    What your biggest annoyance in game development? (Past & Present)

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 10:43 AM PDT

    It's monday, we're all grumpy, time to vent!
    For me, it's got to be dealing with .NET versions when I used to develop with Unity on Windows. I can't remember the amount of times I had to re-install SDKs etc. just to get Windows Phones to play ball (and Microsoft went and deprecated them anyway).
    What's comes to your guys minds?

    submitted by /u/hex333ham
    [link] [comments]

    What methods or software do you use for outlining your story? Especially for those of you whose stories involving branching paths and dialogue

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 09:51 AM PDT

    I'm having a lot of trouble properly outlining my plot and dialogue, specifically because of the branching paths aspect. Does anyone have recommendations?

    submitted by /u/Drijidible
    [link] [comments]

    Kantega | The Mysterious Life of Developers

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 06:03 AM PDT

    Questions about Godot engine

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 07:46 AM PDT

    Has anyone used Godot for game development? I'm creating a new game and I've mostly used unity and source as engines in the past, but Godot looks promising, just curious if anyone has used it before

    submitted by /u/74serieschip
    [link] [comments]

    Where to get royalty free music for a game?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 07:43 AM PDT

    I've been scouring the internet for ages. I'm just looking for some royalty free performances of classical music - stuff like Beethoven that will be in the public domain. Even though many classical works are out there, the recordings of the works are claimed and I don't want to pay a big license fee to use them. I plan to sell my game when it is complete so I can't use anything non-commercial either.

    I've found lots of online libraries claiming to be royalty free, but secretly licensing tracks or asking for payment. Surely somebody must know some free libraries out there for music?

    submitted by /u/Official_ChronoDev
    [link] [comments]

    10 Awesome Sources of Funding & Grants for Indie Games

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 05:25 AM PDT

    Creating Assets with Photogrammetry using a rotating surface – Unity Blog

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 06:21 AM PDT

    How to export Blender 2.8 rigged armature to Unreal engine 4 with animation groups

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 08:42 PM PDT

    Substance Painter Mask texturing (timelapse)

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 04:14 AM PDT

    Anyone know any good pixel art program for tilesets?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 12:03 PM PDT

    Hi, i'm looking for a pixel art editor for my tilesets, I know pyxel is a good one but i costs money so preferably i would like one that's free.

    Any help?

    submitted by /u/TheMonkeyLlama
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on public Devlogs

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 12:01 PM PDT

    Hello all, I'm reaching out to different communities to get some opinions on a youtube devlog project I'm committed to starting next week. This will be a channel that shows the perspective of a novice solo dev working his way up and showing his progress along the way. I have made a total of 4 simple projects over the scope of a 1.5 years and am nowhere near satisfied with my current level of knowledge and productivity. So my main goal for this project is to foster self accountability by setting daily goals and completing tasks. I want to post 2 different types of videos each week. 1) a devlog that shows what I did, and whether or not I met my goals each day. 2) tutorials and advice to challenge myself and others to learn things I have found to be difficult while starting out. I will try it regardless for myself, but do you all think this will be something others will find useful? Is this too ambitious or a good way to foster commitment? Any advice would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/MaliExis
    [link] [comments]

    Folks who are going to GDC, would you be interested in doing a r/gamedev meetup?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 11:58 AM PDT

    I'll be at GDC next week from Tuesday-Friday, and I was wondering if there was any interest in meeting up for a meal at some point!

    submitted by /u/w0nche0l
    [link] [comments]

    what does the version numbers represent?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 11:25 AM PDT

    I've seen many video games and softwares having fancy version numbers assigned to it such as Angry birds v1 or v2 or v2.1 or v3.5.4. then there are build numbers which can go upto 4 digit numbers. I've seen those on OS. Some version even have multiple decimal points, that's really crazy. What does those each number represent at every decimal point? what is a build number? what is the difference between version and build? I don't exactly remember but every the sims 3 game patches had probably 5 decimal points.

    submitted by /u/sanketvaria29
    [link] [comments]

    Map building time-lapse for our open-sourced Fortnite remake

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 05:51 PM PDT

    Porting Assets to Multiplayer

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 09:38 AM PDT

    Hi everyone! I'm currently looking into making a mobile turn-based "Tactics" RPG that will include PvE and PvP. Almost everyone I asked suggested to make the game multiplayer-ready from the start, and add in the PvE aspect later on. I browsed the asset store and found some great tools/frameworks that have everything for PvE, even basic AI, already setup. (Turn-Based ToolKit and Turn Based Strategy Framework) I plan on using Mirror as my networking solution.

    Does anybody have experience porting these types of assets to multiplayer? Would I be better off starting from scratch? I wanted to get some feedback from you guys before I invest some money into the available assets. TYIA!

    submitted by /u/AtlantisXY
    [link] [comments]

    Good PhysX tutorials?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 09:24 AM PDT

    Looking for basic PhysX tutorials, particularly rigid bodies or joints. The ones I've found so far either are either too confusing/wordy for me

    submitted by /u/TheJammy98
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a good college plan to get into the game industry?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 07:41 AM PDT

    So, ever since I was a child, I've wanted to be a video game programmer. I'm now a junior in high school and looking into going to college for Computer Science. It's my absolute dream to work at Nintendo of America over in Redmond, but I'd honestly be fine working for any video game company, as long as it pays well. I'm not looking to be rich or anything, just enough to pay whatever bills I'll have and student loans. Anyway, I came up with the plan of going to a really cheap community college in my city for two years to get my general education credits out of the way, going to UNC Charlotte to get a Bachelors in CS (they have an "AI, Robotics, and Gaming Concentration" for CS majors too, so I'd definitely be choosing that), then getting my masters from DigiPen. I figured that just going to DigiPen for two years wouldn't be as costly as getting my bachelors there, plus I would've saved a lot of money by going to the community college for two years. I was wondering if this would be a good idea to get myself into the game industry as a programmer, and if not, what would be? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/CltrAltDelicious11
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment