• Breaking News

    Monday, March 11, 2019

    Huffman Code Data Structure Question Computer Science

    Huffman Code Data Structure Question Computer Science


    Huffman Code Data Structure Question

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 08:17 PM PDT

    I am asked to construct a Huffman Code Tree where the first branch is 0 for vowels (in english) and 1 for consonants. Then I am asked to find the average code word lengths for both the the vowels and the consonants and combine them to get the average. I guess I just don't understand the construction of this Huffman Tree. Could someone help explain this to me? I know how to find the average but I don't know what is meant by the first branch here, and how this would differ from a regular Huffman frequency tree. Thanks

    submitted by /u/willjmill3
    [link] [comments]

    Inside Kdenlive: How to fuzz a complex GUI application?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 06:37 PM PDT

    C++ Suggested Books

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 04:39 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I'd like to develop an application using C++ or C# for a manufacturing quality management system. I've created the system in ACCESS but want to transcribe the application and have more flexibility eventually tying it to a larger database system.

    Anyway, do you have suggestions for me to get started. I would like a couple good books for this kind of thing. I'm very comfortable programming in C, Visual Basic for Applications, Python, MATLAB, and have SQL knowledge but would like to get better.

    Thank you!

    Kind regards.

    submitted by /u/APowerWedger
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone interesting in giving life/career/major advice?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 03:42 PM PDT

    Greetings:

    I am writing this from my apartment. This apartment, was provided for me by the company I am doing my co-op for. The kicker is I am material scientist and engineering major who realized towards the end of his intro to materials science, I am not likely to like the major. So, now I am trying my hardest to find out what is the right major for me. I am hoping you guys can put some perspective or give some insight or advice. I am kind lost and scared and have no one to talk to.

    *Background about me:*

    I am a reductionist. I am analytical. I love love breaking things down to their smallest and most basic components to understand how exactly and why something works the way it does. I am super analytical. I think these two traits share the same coin.

    These two traits are also super useful in a LOT of fields. To no ones surprise, I am great at math. I really love breaking things and trying to understand why things are they way they are, not just solve a problem. I would *OFTEN* go office hours for my math classes even though I did not really need them, just so I can learn more of the theory behind the math concepts I have learned. I also really like chemistry but I would not go as often to often office hours but I would ask very deep and the theoretical questions in class to understand the why of the way things are. I say this, as all this too me is just evidence that I am analytical from an objective point of view.

    I need a new major as I am just not liking the current major I am based on the intro class to material's science and engineering. The reason I am jumping ship so soon is because according to peers and professors themselves, THAT class is literally the foundation and just builds off that in the rest of the major. This fact has been stressed so much. I only liked about half and did not like the half of that class. To me, that sounds like I am in for a rough time in my current major. So, I tried to take other classes.

    The other class was stats 201. This class is the introduction to stats. And I Loved! I really liked that class, I liked at least 95 percent of EVERYTHING that was talked about. And with good reason. Its literally analyzing data and trying to understand it and see what can be concluded from it. It makes total sense why I would like it. So, I switched majors and am taking some more stats class this fall. So, why am I writing this long winded essay then? Its all said and done, right?

    Well

    I took Elect and Mag while I was still a materials science major. And I Absolutely loved the circuits aspect of it, especially the fancy ones with both a capacitor and resistor. As I took the the exam for the circuits aspect, I recall distinctly saying, I would do this for fun if presented to me. The logic was just so intuitive to me and I was great at. I did not care for the magnetism aspect to much, I can saw I do not think I learned anything from it. To me, this some evidence.

    I built my own PC 2 years ago and wanted to upgrade and I started doing research on it. Then, I started learning more and more about PC components. I grew interested in them. I even subs to several tech/PC oriented youtube channels! Then, one day I wanted to know how A CPU works so I literally found this super complex video on how a CPU works (im sure you know this but lol a CPU has its own RAM!! lol L1 cache if I recall correctly). To me this is evidence that I have interest in computers and hardware.

    I went out of my way to learn something about actual hardware

    To me this is big. I have never done that for ANYTHING, I have majored in. I have never done that for stats or material science, but I have done something very similar for math. To me this shows I have desire and I Have ability to be a computer engineer major and actually enjoy it. The kicker is I am two years and would need to start from square one when I can just graduate with a stats degree in 2 years and finish on time (scholarships run out after the 4 years). The only issue is, I have not taken the actual intro to Computer Engineering class that is the foundation for the major. I love the logic behind coding, but I did not enjoy the high level coding I did (MATLAB). Appearntly, C+ is very different and CS friend said the way I was taught to "Code" is more solution based, and not learning how to think as a coder.

    I do not know if I should play it safe and stick to what I know I like for a major or maybe consider taking as many classes as I can until I finally reach the intro to Computer Engineering class. Any advice would be very very much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Why-So-Serious-Black
    [link] [comments]

    Have you met any coders who don't have a comp sci degree? Were they good?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 11:56 AM PDT

    Joining the field from UMUC

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 12:18 PM PDT

    I am working on a Computer Science degree, with a minor in Mathematics from UMUC. This school seems to have a hit or miss reputation, and I was just wondering if anybody has encountered it and what their opinion of it was as far as being competent in computer science

    submitted by /u/TemporaryUser10
    [link] [comments]

    I’m afraid of the future

    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 11:28 AM PDT

    I love computer science with a passion and want it to be my career but I am afraid that the salary won't be enough. For example, in SF the average entry level salary is around 100k. The houses around that area are pretty expensive and with living expenses I don't think I will ever be financially independent.

    submitted by /u/ChewieRocks
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment