• Breaking News

    Friday, March 22, 2019

    Beginner Questions - March 22, 2019 web developers

    Beginner Questions - March 22, 2019 web developers


    Beginner Questions - March 22, 2019

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 06:15 AM PDT

    If you're new to web development and would like to ask experienced and professional web developers a question, please post below.

    Etiquette

    • Remember, that questions that have context and are clear and specific generally are answered while broad, sweeping questions are generally ignored.

    • Be polite and consider upvoting helpful responses.

    • If you can answer questions, take a few minutes to help others out as you ask others to help you.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    SQL joins

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 08:38 AM PDT

    Show Reddit: A realtime Database for the Web based on pouchdb

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 05:30 AM PDT

    A dev trained robots to generate “garbage” slot machine games—and made $50K

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    Is it possible for a flex container to use both "space between" and "flex start"?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 04:38 PM PDT

    Project roadmap

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 09:03 AM PDT

    Drupal's Angela Byron On Building A Diverse Community

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 09:43 AM PDT

    What Kind of Logo Do You Get for $5? An epic tale of deception, stolen artwork, and crappy logos.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 05:38 AM PDT

    Learn CSS Flexbox with Interactive Playground

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 07:06 AM PDT

    Chrome Beta (74) now supports native dark mode, as defined in Windows 10 settings

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 04:57 PM PDT

    Plugins

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 04:30 PM PDT

    Hello! I was wondering if I could ask a question, I have developed for a few years now but nothing too complicated and I'm beginning to get into more complicated development. I'm looking at adding Facebook plugins for a client and I noticed during the testing that it works on the website on the phone but if you try and use it on the a browser on the computer/laptop you can't view it.

    Also if anyone knows anything about blog making (plugins or HTML) thats not wordpress I would appreciate any guidance thank you <3

    submitted by /u/Not_An_Emo_Vampire
    [link] [comments]

    How accurate is Google Analytics page speed tracking?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 04:18 PM PDT

    Hi all

    I've spent most of my time optimising my site, and had a heart attack when I saw average speed to load was 80 seconds yesterday, which is a huge anomaly.

    https://i.imgur.com/teYcsax.jpg

    Could this have been an issue on my end, which a slow site, or on Google's end?

    The site in question is https://www.thenerdystudent.com

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/DipperDolphin
    [link] [comments]

    (JavaScript) naming conventions: do’s and don’ts

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 04:11 PM PDT

    Unable to access my website (from home network)

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 04:03 PM PDT

    I recently setup a website, which I am unable to access through my home network, yet it works for any device outside of the network. As every time I attempt to access www.lucheaton.com or 92.242.132.16 , independent of browser/device (within home network), I am redirected to an error page from my ISP, saying that the site "cannot be found", it seems as-though my ISP/router is causing the issue. If you have any ideas as to what I can do, please let me know, thanks.

    submitted by /u/Luucccc
    [link] [comments]

    How to securely use a Google Maps API Key?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 03:23 PM PDT

    I'm adding google maps to a website I'm building and have generated a google maps javascript api key. I've set HTTP restrictions on it to only include the live netlify website and my localhost.

    I'm wondering if there is anything else I need to do to securely use this API key so as to not have problems down the road. When I push commits to my github, I get an email from GitGuardian saying that an api key was noticed with steps on how to secure it, which makes me wonder if it isn't secure enough.

    When searching on StackOverflow, I've seen it say to simply add the HTTP restrictions. However, I've also read that those can still be spoofed, and thus still abuse the API key. Not to mention I still get the email from GitGuardian.

    submitted by /u/screennames_are_hard
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth it to learn things like CSS grid and how to create your own navbars etc when there are library’s like bootstrap that provide a copy and paste way to achieve the same thing?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 03:22 PM PDT

    I personally have taken the time to learn grid and how to make most of the elements without external libraries, but I know many people who questions why id waste my time when there's a copy/paste option available... I argue it's helpful to learn how to build things without the use of libraries like bootstrap, but I'd love your opinions! Do employers care whether you can do it yourself or use external libraries?

    submitted by /u/G0ldp3nguin
    [link] [comments]

    My Recipe App Rebuild

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 07:25 AM PDT

    A year ago I posted this: https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/7lv514/my_first_full_webapp_am_i_nearing_job_ready/

    It was my first full web app built in React. Soon after, I started applying for jobs and was hired a couple months later. After working as a junior React developer for the past 9 months, I decided to rebuild the app using the skills I've gained since then. At this point, it's completely functional (as far as I know, maybe there are some bugs I haven't discovered yet), and it would be sweet if some other redditors decided to start using it so we can share recipes.

    The goal of the app is to provide a free and easy to use place to store recipes and build grocery lists, as well as share recipes with other users. Check it out at www.recipe-cloud.com

    Also https://github.com/davidgolden/recipe-cloud-react

    submitted by /u/cplegend
    [link] [comments]

    I had four awful interviews and now going to my fifth interview, could anyone give me some help?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 02:38 PM PDT

    I'm a college student in my fourth year studying computer science, looking for a internship. I already had four interviews but none went good, even others with less experience and grades were hired.
    I read some tips but didn't help me, most of the interviews in the middle, the mood change and I feel something gone bad.
    I want to do better this time, if anyone could give me some help I'll be grateful.

    If there is many others posts like mine, please forgive me.

    submitted by /u/dunkenMaster
    [link] [comments]

    I want to start a web based business. Do I teach myself or hire?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 01:59 PM PDT

    I have an idea for an online business in a niche market. A sort of broker that connects buyers and sellers. It'd be pretty useful for a lot of companies in that market and so far nobody has done anything like it. I know some basic programming but don't have much experience with web programming. I don't have a deadline or any outward pressure for this project. I could take my time, teach myself and run the whole thing by myself. I don't know how long it would be until I make it. The advantage is full control and full rewards. Alternatively I could partner up or hire a webdev. That brings more complications in and I also don't know how much this would cost. In terms of complexity these are the central functions I need:

    1. Database of accounts for buyers, sellers and seller capabilities
    2. Buyer form to submit what they need. The site then compares that form with the seller database and sends the inquiry only to sellers that match the needed capabilities.
    3. Messaging system for sellers to communicate with buyers and discuss their needs.
    4. Some sort of quotation system that allows sellers to generate a PDF quote that's sent to the buyers and allows buyers to place the order. Generally payment in this industry happens after goods are delivered so not sure how my site would manage that. But I want to be able to see how much is charged and then charge the sellers a small percentage fee from that price. The more this process is tied to my site the more likely it is they'll keep using it instead of going direct to save a few bucks.
    5. Review system for buyers to give feedback and rate their experience with the sellers so that others can evaluate offers from companies.
    6. A project tracker for buyers and sellers to look up past projects and communicate regarding ongoing projects.

    Just as a ballpark estimate: how much would this cost to outsource and how difficult is this to make in a one man operation? Number on priority is security. I don't want any information to leak because many times these companies will be protective of it.

    submitted by /u/TeachUsPlz
    [link] [comments]

    A Front-End Curriculum for #100DaysOfCode

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 01:56 PM PDT

    Help with how to purchase or contact existing domain name owner

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 01:35 PM PDT

    JS podcast with Keith Cirkel of GitHub - no more IE and Web Components instead of frameworks

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 12:46 PM PDT

    Tried my hand at making an Atom theme. What'd you think?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 12:38 PM PDT

    Front end framework question

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 12:14 PM PDT

    Hey, so I'm very new to web development...like senior in high school new (only 2 computer science classes, both in Java with a little bit of HTML/CSS). I decided to take on a project for my senior capstone that might be a little out of my league but I'm pretty much roped in now. So I've spent the year trying to learn database design, MySQL, and PHP. I think I'm getting there with the backend stuff but when it comes to front end, I don't know if I'm going to have enough time to develop a good front end design, with the limited HTML/CSS capabilities I have (and I assume I'd have to learn some JavaScript too if I were to create one from scratch).

    All that being said, can someone point me to a good and easy to use front end framework that I can use with a MariaDB MySQL database and PHP application? And maybe like a good tutorial on how to use a framework with a database? Thanks

    submitted by /u/newt0theinternet
    [link] [comments]

    Bringing group voting/decision making to Black Mirror: Bandersnatch

    Posted: 22 Mar 2019 11:28 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment