• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 2, 2019

    Associate VS. Bachelor in Computer Science? learn programming

    Associate VS. Bachelor in Computer Science? learn programming


    Associate VS. Bachelor in Computer Science?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:26 AM PST

    I'm currently going to a local community college. I've been torn between completing 2 years at the community college, then transferring to a 4-year college OR completing the 2-year CS degree at the community college. Would the Bachelor's degree be more beneficial? I was thinking with the Associate's degree I would be able to get right into programming aspects, and be able to intern sooner. What pathway would be more beneficial to be successful in the programming field? Would tech companies look past my resume if they see I only have an Associate's degree?

    submitted by /u/kxpsule
    [link] [comments]

    Is Codecademy Pro worth it?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 09:15 PM PST

    I'm a sophomore majoring in Computer Science. Right now I'm taking the semester off, but still want to work on my programming skills and learn how to make something I can put on my resume. Codecademy Pro looks like it has some interesting courses where I can learn how to make something like that. Is it worth the money?

    submitted by /u/UkePlayingDude
    [link] [comments]

    I graduated with a software development degree in September, and then kept practicing my coding skills. I took a break from coding for a couple months for various life reasons, but now I'm looking to start applying for Development Roles. What course/learning material is recommended as a refresher?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 07:09 AM PST

    I learned Java and JavaScript in the past. I went through most of the MOOC Java course a while back, I'm thinking about starting that over, but the idea feels dreadful, like I would just have to trudge through it, for some reason.

    submitted by /u/itstommygun
    [link] [comments]

    Newb programmer questions about GUIs for design applications fundamentals

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 05:34 PM PST

    Hello,

    I'm self-teaching python/programming and I have a few questions about the fundamentals for desktop applications (Especially things with GUI built for designing, like CAD, Blender, UE4, etc...). Any help is much appreciated!

    1. What do most executables actually do? I know it runs the scripts that open a program, but what is standard for the executable to have? Does it contain the GUI elements or does it load some other module that builds the GUI? Does it load all modules for buttons or does it wait for buttons to be pressed to load modules (For instance, if you selected an "extrude" tool, is it already loaded or does the program have to look for an extrude module before extruding).

    2. How do programs check for button presses? I'm guessing most programs aren't running constant loops with ALL the possible buttons in if statements. But I know programs can't be waiting for inputs like a simple console program. So how does a computer know when a button like "eraser tool" is clicked, without constantly checking in a loop.

    3. Are GUI's usually custom made or do most programs use standard assets? I know most programs have menu bars with File/Edit/etc... but are those always programmed in or do most language GUIs have them default bundled. Icons are probably custom made, but windows inside the application (like the window to display wireframes in blender or to display your artwork in paint) can't be custom made can they?

    Any resources or answers would greatly help. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/QuariYune
    [link] [comments]

    Algorithm to simplify/reduce graph

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 06:43 PM PST

    Is there an algorithm that shortens paths (and removes nodes) based on edge cost? I can't put it into words too well so I hope these images sum it up well enough:

    from this

    to this

    submitted by /u/atomicalexx
    [link] [comments]

    Why does <address> not get styled with <p>?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 09:48 PM PST

    <p class="sender-column"> Dr. Eleanor Gaye<br> Awesome Science faculty<br> University of Awesome<br> Bobtown, CA 99999,<br> USA<br> <address> <strong>Tel:</strong><a href="tel:+123-456-789">123-456-7890</a><br> <strong>Email:</strong><a href="mailto:no_reply@example.com"> no_reply@example.com</a> </address> </p> 

    the class "sender-column" moves everything to the right. In this case, I only want to write it once. However, everything else moved to the right, except the content in the <address> tag. Why?.

    Thank you.

    Edit1: I know how to fix it, but I just don't get why this happens. Since they're both block-level elements, I thought it would be just like nesting a <p> inside a <div> or a <div> inside a <div>, and I would only have to assign the class to the parent's block-level element to style the content within the child.

    Edit2: I use the html validator. It gives me this error:

    "No p element in scope but a p end tag seen."

    Edit3: I think the reason might be because I'm not allowed to put a block-level element inside the <p> tag, but it's fine for a <div>. Right? I'm not sure.

    submitted by /u/TechNoob1997
    [link] [comments]

    Understanding Linked Lists

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 12:17 PM PST

    My understanding:

    Linked List - Dosen't have to be in order/sorted. Each node points to the next value. Apparently it's faster than a normal list when inserting/deleting the first node? Not sure how though. And I cannot access any of the nodes without looping the list.

    How should I know when to use a Linked list vs a Normal List?

    submitted by /u/badboyzpwns
    [link] [comments]

    Real use cases for bitwise & their speed

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 12:14 AM PST

    Hello, I understand the bitwise operators and what they do but haven't actually found a use for them. What are some examples of when they would be essential or helpful? Also, how does their speed compare to just normal arithmetic operators?

    submitted by /u/matrizx
    [link] [comments]

    Few years of experience and I suck at it. Now what?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 12:13 AM PST

    Hello! A little help from you guys and girls will be appreciated!

    First a little introduction - I started learning programming about 5 years ago and with a series of courses and exams, like a code academy in my country. I easily found my first job as a junior developer and I was there for about 4 years. I wasn't very motivated and I wasn't even sure if that's the thing I want to do. I didn't put much effort into it and I did productive work for no more then 3 hours a day on average. The employer and the team were ok with it and usually the feedback was that I lack in some areas, but I am generally ok. However they made me mid-level programmer after more then 3 years being there.

    At some point I knew I wanted change and faster improvement, so I changed my employer as mid-level programmer for significantly better pay and to learn more, faster. My new employer's expectations from me seem to be a lot more then before, although not explicitly stated.

    So, currently I want to get better as this and I'm motivated to do so. The problem is I currently suck at it despite my 4 years of professional experience. Part of the problem is that I lack knowledge, but that is fixable by studying, I think. What bothers me is the other part of the problem - I make stupid mistakes and I miss things on my tasks all the time. On top of that I'm really slow.

    So, it seems I lack the concentration and mental processing power to do my job right. My question is is it possible and how can I improve my ability to write good code with fewer mistakes, faster? I'm generally unsure of my mental capacity/abilities to do this job right. Currently I'm in a probation period and I highly doubt it that I'll be offered a permanent contract.

    Here is an example task from yesterday: I have dropdown with infinite scroll and search field to filter the items. My task is to use back-end caching to cache the requests, so that the infinite scroll works fast. It's very easy task, basically reuse the cache manager in back-end. I did it and tested it, it works fine. However my team leader returns the task to me because when using new search term the items are loaded with a request to the service and not from the cache. Which is stupid because all the items are in the cache already and there is no need to call the real service again. They could be filtered in memory.

    TL;DR I have 4 years of experience, but I make stupid mistakes and I miss things on my tasks all the time. On top of that I'm really slow. On top of that I'm stressed which further impair my abilities. I feel like I lack the concentration and mental processing power to do my job right. Is it possible to improve and how?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Pathaway
    [link] [comments]

    Javascript book's for beginner / intermediate

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 03:12 PM PST

    Hi guys I was thinking of picking up two books for the bus ride from Vancouver to Seattle since I go every weekend I was thinking of getting. I want to get into full stack development and sharpen my skills on the front end. Cracking the Code interview just seems interesting to me because I heard its the holy bible when applying to many big company's its always better to get a head start even if I don't understand all of the concepts yet. Any books you guys would suggest? Specifically towards JS, and I prefer it to be paperback or hardcover.

    JavaScript and jQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development Hardcover 1st Edition

    JavaScript and jQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development Hardcover 1st Edition

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1118871650/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

    and
    Cracking the Code interview 6th edition

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0984782850/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

    submitted by /u/GrayChanger
    [link] [comments]

    Design of Algorithms & Algorithms and Data Structures Subject Review & Tips - University of Melbourne

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:49 PM PST

    [Java]Can't decide best way to implement this project.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:43 PM PST

    My class project is to make a priority queue that can be used to get the lowest value of a set of a particular type of items. My original plan was to make a priority queue using generics and then just implementing Comparable on the item class. That way I could just compare the items directly with > and < operators in the algorithms.

    Only problem is, the project requires being able to get the highest priority item by choice of two different attributes of the item. I was thinking, "okay simple enough, two priority queues. One for the first attribute, another for the second attribute." Except I don't think there's a way to make this item comparable in two different ways.

    I was trying to avoid making a priority queue that's tailored to the actual item, but in this case I guess I don't have a choice? I guess it doesn't matter since it's just a class project, more or less just wanted to write nice code.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/BlankIndexCard
    [link] [comments]

    AngularJs Scope

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:22 PM PST

    Angualr scope is the binding part between the HTML and JavaScript. The scope is available in View and Controller.

    Angualr scope is the binding part between the HTML and JavaScript. The scope is available in View and Controller.

    Below is the example

    <div ng-app="devApp" ng-controller="devCtrl"> <h1>{{name}}</h1> </div> <script>

    var app = angular.module('devApp', []); app.controller('devCtrl', function($scope) { $scope.name = "Developerdiary"; }); </script>

    Original article you can read from here : http://www.developerdiary.in/anuglarjs/angular-scopes/

    submitted by /u/devdiary
    [link] [comments]

    How to set a pointer char to a function return?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 07:32 PM PST

    Hey all, in this program I am trying to put some user inputted words into a c style array. The trouble I am having is I can't get the variable to hold anything more than just one character.

    char * get_word() {

    char word\[50\]; cin.ignore(); cin.getline(word, 50); 

    int size = sizeof(word) + 1; char \*str = new char\[size\]; 

    for (int i = 0; i < sizeof(word); i++) { str\[i\] = word\[i\]; } return str; 

    }

    void put_words_into_array(int n, char * a) {

    for (int i = 0; i < n; i++) { cout << "Enter word " << i + 1 << endl; char \* word = get\_word(); // only gets first character, not whole word. a\[i\] = \* word; } 

    }

    In the put_words_into_array function I am talking about the char * word part. Any help on how I can make it contain the whole word?

    EDIT: The error is actually in the line below my comment, it is storing just a character. So new question would be is how could I put a word into the single character array? I cannot use c++ style strings. All help so far is greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/Garett102
    [link] [comments]

    Confusion over Regular Expressions

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 05:17 PM PST

    Hi, i'm trying to write a regular expression in Perl, that splits strings contained in html files into words, converts these strings to lowercase and later counts them. I have been reading up on regular expressions but feel my knowledge is still limited.

    code below:

    $page = get $url; print $page, br(), "\n"; #split the strings based on line spaces and assign into array. my @strings = split /[:,!+-=@%^$£€<>\s\/]+/, $page; my $lcase = ($page); { lc } @strings; print join ('', @strings); 

    At present the regular expression works fine for words that have clear spaces i.e cat dog lizard but Im having trouble getting it to work with more complex strings(that may have special characters between words). For instance I would like to expand it so that hyphenated words such as thirty-two are counted as one word but words such as $1.2m are ignored.

    Any help is much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Qwerty1571
    [link] [comments]

    Reverse SSH tunneling with two MacOS computers. Need help.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:13 PM PST

    Here is what I have tried thus far:

    MacBook Air: travel laptop

    iMac : home computer

    Public web server: Bluehost (optional)?

    • Both MacBook computers have SSH enabled.
    • Both computers are always behind a NAT.

    1.) If my Travel and Home computer are both connected to the internet, Can I SSH tunnel them without using a Third Party connection, ie. (BlueHost web server)?

    2.) If I'm traveling, thus my laptop isn't connected to the internet, would I have to use my public web server to keep a connection alive from my home computer?

    From what I read on the internet, this is suppose to work using the code provided below. Is this correct? This of course would only work if both computers are connected at the same time, right?

    Home Computer:

    ssh -R 444:localhost:22 username@internetIP-of-traveling-laptop 

    Travel Laptop:

     ssh -p 444 username@localhost 

    3.) If I was to use my public web server as a middle connection, how would the above code change?

    Sorry for any confusion as I'm still learning this process. :)

    submitted by /u/lalamanicer
    [link] [comments]

    I fucking love pointers

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:08 PM PST

    Currently working on a pretty big project in C on an MSP430. About 4,000 lines in at the moment.

    I've had classes in Intro to C, embedded systems, and advanced microcontroller applications, and I never really wrapped my head around pointers.

    They finally clicked a week ago, and holy shit is it a simple concept that no professor ever explained to me correctly.

    They make everything sooo much easier lol

    EDIT: So due to comments I'll try to explain pointers in the context of C to the best of my ability (few Coronas in right now, will edit in the morning ;))

    So when you declare a variable in C, you set it's value, and the compiler/computer gives it an address in the computer's memory

    Let's say you set an integer to a value of 6

    int coronasDrank = 6;

    So now you have an integer of value 6. The computer gives it an address of one of it's memory Registers.

    If we want this address, use what's called a pointer. A pointer is a special variable that stores an address as it's value.

    So lets say the computer stores out integer coronasDrank in memory address 0x200 hex. We can now make a pointer to "point", to this address. To do this, we do

    Int * coronaPointer = &coronasDrank;

    Where the ( * ) tells the compiler to intialize a pointer and (&) tells the compiler to get the address of coronasDrank.

    So now we have the address of coronasDrank stored in the pointer coronaPointer. Now we can use that pointer to set other values.

    Int howDrunkisGTC = *(coronaPointer);

    When we have a pointer, when we equate something to it all we'll get is the address. But if we use the ( * ) modifier we'll get the value stores at that asdress. So now we can just sent around that address and get that value whenever we want.

    other weird things with C and pointers:

    • the name of an array is a pointer to the first value of that array

    submitted by /u/gratethecheese
    [link] [comments]

    Node/Express vs. Django Web Backend?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:03 PM PST

    So I keep seeing on YouTube a lot of Software Engineers in the SF Bay Area like CS Dojo and Life of Luba posting about learning Python and Django really well.

    Yet, I also see people like Andrei Neagoie on Udemy say the best thing to do is to learn Node/Express for Full-Stack JavaScript.

    For people like CS Dojo and Life of Luba, it seems like they prefer beginners learn Django over Node/Express. Why is that?

    Which is the right order of things to learn it all in? Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/NearbyAuthor
    [link] [comments]

    Confused for my first programming project.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 05:28 AM PST

    Hello guys,

    I will be done with my freshman year (CS major) this spring, and I am deciding to make my first project this summer. I am confused between making a basic app or a basic 2D video game. I know how to code in C, and I am learning JavaScript right now. I am also proficient in HTML and CSS. Which project would be easier for me? And what would I need to learn before making any of these projects? Is C or JavaScript enough?

    Thanks for all the replies in advance!

    submitted by /u/imaimaimalo
    [link] [comments]

    Help, my matlab code gives NaN values for the current matrix

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:50 PM PST

    This code works perfectly for small matrices but when my matrix has such different values it gives NaN. I tried round() but that didnt help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    O = [-1 3 2 -3 -3 4 2 7;
    20000 20000 -100000 -50000 10000 0 -20000 50000;
    100000 100000 9990 -40000 -30000 20000 -10000 60000;
    -2 4 1 3 3 0 7 2;
    1 3 2 7 0 2 2 4;
    0.000001 0.000003 0.000002 0.0000004 0.0000001 0.000001 0.000002 0.000002;
    10 5 5 8 7 4 6 3;
    2 -5 -2 -14 6 7 2 9];
    A = round(O);
    b = [1;-1;2;-2;3;100;-3;4];
    aug = [A,b];

    originalA = A;
    originalb= b;
    %-----------------------------------------------------------
    w = 0;

    maxval = aug(1,1);
    for ii = 1:length(A)
    if aug(ii,1) > maxval
    maxval = aug(ii,1);
    w = ii;
    end
    end

    a = swap(aug,1,w);
    aug =a;

    %-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    s = size(aug);
    rows = s(1);
    columns = s(2);

    iter = 0;
    u =1;
    v = 2;
    for i = u:columns
    for i = v:rows
    aug(i,:) = aug(i,:)-aug(u,:)*aug(i,u)/aug(u,u);
    iter = iter+1;
    end
    u = u+1;
    v= v+1;
    end
    aug

    a1 = aug;
    a1(:, columns) = [];
    b1 = aug(:,columns);

    A = a1;
    b = b1;

    x = zeros(rows,1);
    j = rows;

    x(rows,:) = b(rows,:)/A(rows,rows);
    for i = rows-1:-1:1
    x(i,:) = (b(i,:) - A(i,i+1:rows)*x(i+1:rows,:))/A(i,i);
    end
    x

    m = originalA*x;
    errorb = originalb - m;

    errorb

    %------------------------------------------------------
    function [y]=swap(x,row1,row2)
    y=x;
    y(row1,:)=x(row2,:);
    y(row2,:)=x(row1,:);
    end

    submitted by /u/Five2Six
    [link] [comments]

    I have a background I finance, banking and markets. I want to step into a more quantitative trading position but I absolutely know nothing about programming. I’d love so advice from an algo trader on where to start.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:34 PM PST

    Also if you know any bootcamp tailored for algotrading, I'd love to know.

    submitted by /u/obeyaasaurus
    [link] [comments]

    Windows Desktop + Macbook good idea?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:27 PM PST

    Hello, I am currently working on my CS degree. I own a powerful windows desktop PC I have been using for programming but thinking about getting a laptop. Been looking at getting the new 2018 MacBook air for programming at school and general school work. Only problem stopping me is I would like to be able to transfer code files from the MacBook to my windows desktop and vise versa while coding at home or on the go, is this possible? Or will I just run into headaches doing this?

    Tldr: can I transfer and edit the same code file on a MacBook and a windows desktop?

    submitted by /u/Rescue95
    [link] [comments]

    How do I refactor code?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 12:33 PM PST

    This is my first post so sorry if I do anything wrong.

    I'm teaching myself to code, and while most things I make are (somewhat) functional, it often lacks readability and definetly wouldn't be up to industry standards. I'm a beginner so I know I don't have to hold myself to those standards, but I ultimately seek a job in the industry so I figure I should start the good habit now.

    For context I'm a high schooler who is trying to learn to code (java) myself because the computer science classes don't teach much at my school and I'm interested in programming. Most of my programs are personal and not school based, but often I'll show a friend my program.

    All this is to say, my programs are very hard to follow and have random comments everywhere. Unless I'm wrong, refactoring is cleaning up code so it's readable and less complex, so how do I go about doing this?

    TLDR: How does one refactor code (java or in general) and are there any sources to help learn how to do so? Also any general tips for a beginner would be nice too.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/HelpIProcrastinate
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment