• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 17, 2019

    Art of an Indie Game - Episode 2: The Creatures

    Art of an Indie Game - Episode 2: The Creatures


    Art of an Indie Game - Episode 2: The Creatures

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 07:40 AM PDT

    Shader features and visual effect layers for our ship damage system

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 11:20 AM PDT

    What's the most useful tool you wrote for your in-development game?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 08:06 AM PDT

    The longer I make games, the more firmly I believe that great tooling makes a happier development. What tool are you most proud of? An asset reference finder for unity? A pre-commit testing tool?

    Or something as simple and throwaway as when I did one because I think the audio is taking too long to load so I'll write a tool to delete the Chinese and the German files and call it Rule Brittania because that makes me giggle.

    submitted by /u/Yann4
    [link] [comments]

    My tool for pixelart, Dither Machine, is now full open source (Unity)

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 10:03 AM PDT

    Early feedback?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 03:52 AM PDT

    Is there anywhere I could go to post really really early builds of games to get feedback on them? I'm way too early in development to have what would be called a demo, but I'm a first time developer and I haven't really actually released anything before so I have no idea what I'm doing beyond the actually making the game bit.

    submitted by /u/Kuroktos
    [link] [comments]

    Fonts for game?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 07:20 AM PDT

    I wonder where there are good fonts to use for commercial games? It can be paid (and provided with license upon payment) or free.

    I tried Google fonts which is ok, but would like to avoid have a separate folder included with the game for the license.

    I tried Dafont, but the font I liked was made by a developer who isn't active anymore.

    Any suggestions? And as I said, I don't mind fonts that can be bought in a serious way (safe website, license included, not just donation).

    Thanks for help =)

    submitted by /u/Luddfilter
    [link] [comments]

    Is There any games or game engine/framework written in Forth or Stack-based language ?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 02:42 AM PDT

    Do I need to support 32-bit computers?

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 09:08 PM PDT

    Hey all.

    I was looking the steam hardware survey, and although the results for linux and mac are less clear, on windows 98.18% of users are 64-bit. That's actually less than what I expected, but still pretty high, so I'm curious: for those of you that have removed 32-bit support (or launched without it), did you get any backlash? Do you think that it's ok to completely leave out support for 32-bit computers?

    submitted by /u/Elronnd
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth buying graphics?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 09:43 AM PDT

    Or do too many people buy those tilesets and then you end up having a game like a many others? I really like my game but the graphics are horrible, I just can't do 2D pixelart.

    submitted by /u/StarYuber
    [link] [comments]

    Run managed code in Unity’s Job System

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 01:33 AM PDT

    Question about efficiency (I am new to game dev, not new to programming).

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 09:10 AM PDT

    A long time ago I've developed a simple space shooter game (2D) using DirectX API. Even though I didn't expect performance problems, the FPS would drop significantly when a couple dozens of objects needed to be rendered (all images/animations were pre-loaded in RAM).

    What I'd like to know if this is a common problem in the present, and if so, do "game engines" address this problem or not? I am currently looking at Unity and the supported language is C#, which makes me unsure about performance since this would not be my first choice of programming language.

    I played one of the games posted here developed in Unity which also had this slowdown problem once the scene was filled with enemies. So, I wold like to know, if this is a Unity specific problem, or is that game wasn't implemented properly?

    Let's say I want to achieve 60fps for my game, this means I have ~16 milliseconds to compute (logic, collisions etc.) and redraw a new frame. Seems like almost impossible task, even for C++. So, how people do it?

    submitted by /u/Chris_RNGesus
    [link] [comments]

    Storing game engine object as flat structure or layered?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 09:34 AM PDT

    Hi,

    Short question about a design choice for my Game Engine. I need to store GameObjects and one of the features of my Game Engine is that you can attach a GameObject to a GameObject and then when you move a GameObject in 3d space, it's children move along with it. My first idea was to have every GameObject have a vector that contain GameObjects, but I think that might gt complicated later and I also think it's going to be pretty slow that way. So my second idea would be to have a flat structure(one vector) and have all objects be in there, and then when I attach a GameObject to another GameObject(in Editor), it will just give the parent GameObject a pointer to it's child object and the parent object will then store that pointer.

    Which idea would be best? Performance and usability wise. To me it seems the flat structure would be fastest(very easy to loop through), but the layered structure might be easier to work with?(Or exactly the opposite when I need to access all object in the scene)

    So what do you recommend and why?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/timl132
    [link] [comments]

    Help in choosing a 2D engine/framework for an RPG

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 08:21 AM PDT

    Hi all, I've had this idea for a game for awhile now and it's been through several iterations and ideas. My core concept is a Caribbean/island adventure game. I took a lot of inspiration from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and games like Assassins Creed 4 and the Souls/Borne series.

    It initially started as a voxel, procedurally generated stranded-in-an-island game in Unity but that task proved daunting for one person, so I tried to rework the idea as an RTS game similar to Age of Empires. After concluding that was another bad idea due a severe lack of content. I put it on hold for a little bit and eventually picked it up again after playing Stardew Valley. I decided to make it a 2D action/adventure RPG and in beginning to write out my design document and ideas, this iteration is the most concise and most doable for a solo developer who's a full-time student with an almost full time job. This project is really going to be a long term side project to expand and grow my programming skills.

    When the game was 3D, my engine choice was Unity, no question. However now that it's 2D, Im having trouble deciding what to build the game in. Unity has awesome 2D tools and would make it easy to get a game going, but the engine always feels so bloated to me and Im not a fan of scripting. I'm somebody who likes to see all code. GameMaker is out of the question, due to having used it before and not liking its language and really not wanting to pay for license fees for developing for different platforms and consoles. I like the concept of Monogame/FNA and some of the stuff that has come out of it has been incredible, but Ive read horror stories about Monos content pipeline being awful and not a whole lot of documentation. Haxe with Heaps looks promising, but I'm not sure about its maturity as a platform.

    Im certified in Java and am currently studying C#. I know the basics of C++ but I'd rather stay away from that. I've developed a couple small game clones like Teteis and Pong and applications like a bank management system and a text editor.

    I'm leaning towards Monogame right now but I'm open to any suggestions and ideas. Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/sunlightdaddy
    [link] [comments]

    Need help choosing a role

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 08:53 AM PDT

    I'm at the point where i want to start making a portfolio and prepare for a future job option. I'm just really confused about the entire "select a role and get good at it" because I like coding, but I also like drawing and story writing . I'm decent at them all but I don't really want to give one or two of them up just to focus on a single one.

    I could just because a indie developer and do multiple things, but that isn't really what I want atm. What made you choice what you did and do you have any tips on what i should do?

    submitted by /u/PeasentOverlord
    [link] [comments]

    Would I be able to make a decent income form indie games

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 07:59 AM PDT

    I have a passion for games and specially indie games. I like games like factorio, rimworld and oxygen not included. I'm thinking of starting to learn how to make my own indie game. I have no experience so far but I am willing to put in the time to learn everything. But what I was wondering is would eventually be able to make money from my games or would it just stay as a hobby.

    submitted by /u/guyinthesky
    [link] [comments]

    How do you get rights to a song

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 07:38 AM PDT

    I'm going to be making a game that is similar to how life is strange's mechanics work. For the beginning cut seen I was thinking about playing the song dignity by new politics and I have no idea where to start on getting the rights to use it or if I can use it with out rights. Help!!!

    submitted by /u/Squatch_Crafter
    [link] [comments]

    What are some tools you guys would like to have available?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 09:51 AM PDT

    I've been interested in developing an open source tool for some time now and would like to know if anyone here had anything they'd like to have available.

    submitted by /u/UnluckyMarsupial
    [link] [comments]

    Create a Save and Load System in Unity!

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 05:41 PM PDT

    C++ 3D Graphics Application with DirectX and OpenGL support: Explanation about Deferred Rendering and CubeMap-based Reflections

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 07:46 AM PDT

    Is there a 'website' with free sound assets?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 12:25 PM PDT

    I'm curious, is there a website that just collects alot of free to use sound effects?

    Like if I'd want to make a gun in UE2, I most certainly can't make a shot. Distance shot, rechamber, reload. Shell falling sound effects etc.

    Just did a google search and found immediately a few websites, just to make sure tho, does anyone here have a preferred one?

    submitted by /u/Tornado_Hunter24
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about game balancing.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 12:24 PM PDT

    We see games like League of Legends and ARK Survival evolved get a lot of flak from the community that plays for not listening enough when it comes to balancing and creating a diverse "meta" but I was curious. Are there any games that do thrive off of listening intensely to the community and on the opposite side, have any games been ruined for taking feedback into consideration too much?

    submitted by /u/DoctorWallaby
    [link] [comments]

    Blender 2.8 Modeling Excavator : Syringe Connections

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 06:20 AM PDT

    Advices for total beginner in gamedev and UE4?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 12:04 PM PDT

    C++17's Best Unadvertised Feature

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 01:51 PM PDT

    Regardless of your opinion on the general language direction, C++17 brings with it a long requested feature. Yet I haven't heard any acclaim for it. I also haven't read any mention of it online.

    C++ now supports aligned new and delete. Yay.

    https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/memory/new/operator_new

    If you want, you can global overload your new and delete to always align heap arrays on 16 bytes. Useful if you work with simd a lot.

    #include <new> void* operator new[](std::size_t count) { return operator new[](count, std::align_val_t{ 16 }); } void* operator new[](std::size_t count, const std::nothrow_t& tag) noexcept { return operator new[](count, std::align_val_t{ 16 }, tag); } void operator delete[](void* ptr) { operator delete[](ptr, std::align_val_t{ 16 }); } void operator delete[](void* ptr, std::size_t sz) { operator delete[](ptr, sz, std::align_val_t{ 16 }); } void operator delete[](void* ptr, const std::nothrow_t& tag) noexcept { operator delete[](ptr, std::align_val_t{ 16 }, tag); } 

    Of course, you'll probably want to forward to your mallocator of choice. TBB being a good one if you are dealing with heavy multi-threading.

    You might be uncomfortable with allocating all your arrays on 16 byte alignment. If you are targeting consoles in a heavy AAA game, that is a valid concern. However, if you aren't targeting consoles or your game is medium size, it's interesting to remember macOS has always aligned all memory on 16 bytes, even single pointers. It works just fine for them.

    On MSVC, I've had to enable the feature with /Zc:alignedNew

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/pgroarke
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment