• Breaking News

    Wednesday, November 28, 2018

    Coursera is offering a free month of specialized CS courses such as game dev, web dev, SWE and more learn programming

    learn programming

    Coursera is offering a free month of specialized CS courses such as game dev, web dev, SWE and more learn programming


    Coursera is offering a free month of specialized CS courses such as game dev, web dev, SWE and more

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 08:26 PM PST

    Hi everyone, I saw this https://www.coursera.org/promo/cs-week-2018 promo week when I was browsing coursera and it seems pretty sweet. I didn't see any other posts about it so just wanted to share with you all. It looks like you can only use the free month on one course so choose wisely.

    edit: When going to check out, there is a note that says "Your card will automatically be charged after the promotion period. Your card won't be charged if you cancel your subscription via My Purchases before the promotion period. We can't issue refunds once your card is charged." So you will get charged after your free month if you do not cancel renewal and are still in progress of a course

    submitted by /u/Likeabox_
    [link] [comments]

    Hey /r/learnprogramming, I made a book about programming that I thought you would all like!

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 10:38 PM PST

    I made a book called "Hello, World!" that goes over the most popular 40 programming languages through time and I thought you would all like it because we all are learning new programming languages!

    I thought this would be a cool present for the holidays so I'm posting here, let me know what you think!

    You can check out the website

    submitted by /u/p0wnedqueen
    [link] [comments]

    Which free sites like mooc.fi and edx.org for video/text/project based courses would you recommend?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 02:31 PM PST

    I actually learned Java through mooc.fi's awesome text-based course and am now doing week 4 of edx.com's CS50 course from Harvard.
    These courses are really solid and get pretty hard. They are good.
    But where to go next (except of working on my own projects)?

    submitted by /u/Quasaritus
    [link] [comments]

    Got any tips for a beginner to build a portfolio site?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 03:47 PM PST

    I would like to code my own basic portfolio site to showcase my graphic design work. I learned basic css/html and a teeny tiny bit of JavaScript a while ago, but I seem to have forgotten everything! I don't know where to start. Just looking for tips. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/fr0gb0g
    [link] [comments]

    PLC Controls Tech looking to get into front end web development

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 02:56 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I'm currently working as a PLC Controls technician in a fulfillment center for a certain huge online retailer and I'm dreadfully tired of working in an industrial environment. I've been interested in web development for a few years but I've had issues motivating myself to learn on my own online due to the fact that there are just so many different courses out there to take and it's hard to decide what the best course of action is to avoid using dated material. I basically get all my resources from Reddit and Medium articles.

    For some background information, I was going to college for an associates CS degree but stopped when I got my position as a PLC tech due to the hours I was working (overnights) and the course was extremely dated(dreamweaver, table layouts, etc). I have a year and a half of college experience with Visual Basic, C++, HTML, and CSS(if you can even call it experience learning dated practices). On top of that, I've definitely dabbled in HTML/CSS on my own more than any other language I've worked with. In my current position at work, I'm part of a team that is responsible for monitoring Ladder Logic for all of our control cabinets (micrologix and controllogix AB PLCs) and making any necessary code changes we may need. There is a little scripting involved with our vision systems that use Javascript but that's very very rare.

    My concern is that I don't know what I know/don't know, and I don't know where I should go from what I do know. Here is a website I built two years ago when I first wanted to get into web development. This was built with HTML, SCSS, a bit of JQuery, and Jekyll which seems to be pretty dead now.

    I'd like to get some insight on where I should go from here. I've been going through some Vanilla JS tutorials on youtube and Udemy, and then I was thinking of taking a course on React or Vue after that. At the same time, I was also thinking of just jumping right into building projects for a portfolio and then researching/taking courses when I get stuck on something. I have no friends/connections in the field to get any advice from so I figured I would reach out here. Also, would a coding bootcamp benefit me? I've been seeing more and more negative reviews about bootcamps in general lately which discourages me from trying to go that route. Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/roejiley
    [link] [comments]

    How old is too old to start a new career?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 05:37 PM PST

    I have been working in the oil and gas industry (logistics) for almost 20 years and I'm ready for a career change, something that will allow me to work from home at some point. I'm enrolled in a CIS program at Regis and have also been researching and taking a few Udemy Web Dev classes. I am really interested in pursuing a Full-Stack Web Developer career... here's the problem (?): I'm a 50 yo female, just starting down this path. I would really like some honest feedback on whether or not this may potentially keep employers from even considering me. I'm a really YOUNG looking 50, but obviously not right out of college-age looking... it shouldn't matter, but this is a youth/male driven sector and I don't want to let that mentally deter me, unless it truly is a barrier to me and I'm wasting my time. Thank you all!

    submitted by /u/Gardenbuggzz
    [link] [comments]

    I am having an issue with a C# process and Unity.

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 11:29 PM PST

    Hey guys, I am using the Google Cloud Translation API to translate large quantities of text from a Console Application that I've written in C#. I've got the translation working fine in the console app. To display the information and do some other stuff I am using Unity 2018. I have created a "Process" and started it, and I've had success with a "Hello World" process that I've started from unity, gotten to pop up, display "Hello world" etc.

    After I tested to make sure that my unity script could successfully start a new process and run the code in my console app I added in my translation console app. This app requires a JSON file that I find using this line:

    var credential = GoogleCredential.FromFile("TranslationApplication-01-d8cef595f50a.json");

    As far as I can tell, this function will grab that file from it's own current directory, which is working in my console application. However, when I do this in unity (same code, etc, just copy pasted all the build files into my unity project) I get this error. It's telling me it can't find my JSON file, but when it is in Unity it is still at the same location relative to the script.

    Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Users\Michael\UnityProjects\TranslationApplication\TranslationApplication-01-d8cef595f50a.json'. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost) at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share) at Google.Apis.Auth.OAuth2.GoogleCredential.FromFile(String path) at TranslationConsoleApplication.Program.Translate(String sentence) in C:\Users\Michael\source\repos\TranslationConsoleApplication\TranslationConsoleApplication\Program.cs:line 34 at TranslationConsoleApplication.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\Michael\source\repos\TranslationConsoleApplication\TranslationConsoleApplication\Program.cs:line 21

    Any help would be awesome as this is the last large hurdle for me to finish my app.

    submitted by /u/michael0collins
    [link] [comments]

    How non official fonts affect app performance?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 08:58 PM PST

    I've read on the internet that using official fonts (San Francisco/roboto) helps your app to be more optimized... how big is the difference if i use a 3rd part font?

    submitted by /u/Thyphan69
    [link] [comments]

    What is the most effective way to learn full stack development?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 10:27 PM PST

    I am extremely determined to become a developer. I am familiar with python and basic programming structures. To further my skills I am overwhelmed in regards to which path should I take. Should I try and teach myself through my own project-based learning, should I take a bootcamp (if so which one do you recommend), should I join an online MOOC?

    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/highighig
    [link] [comments]

    Is there an app that helps you to save code presets or snippets with description to help you build your own small sorted/categorized library?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 10:22 PM PST

    So, this is for learning.
    Since I don't really want to look at the documentations every time and somehow love to optimize everything, I got this one funny idea. I bet I'm not the first and that there is some kind of software out there that actually does that.

    I need to really analyse and write a full description of code I write myself and find on sites like github if I want to learn it.
    But after some time the collection could get quite big and categorizing/sorting the snippets would be quite helpful.
    Is there anything you use to fix that problem and to create a collection of reusable code that's efficient to use?

    Sheesh, I really need to learn to express myself. This text is a mess.

    Edit: Actually learned to use google... using Lepton now.

    submitted by /u/Quasaritus
    [link] [comments]

    Hey all. Is it necessary to take notes when learning programming?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 04:57 PM PST

    I've always got the hunch from this sub that you learn best as you do. I've recently picked up an HTML/CSS book, which seems relatively simple thus far, but the academia in me craves jotting down notes on the different types of attributes and other trivial things.

    I want to learn well, but I want to learn quickly. Best approach?

    Thanks, TheBoyMcFly

    submitted by /u/TheBoyMcFly
    [link] [comments]

    Clone Airbnb's Search Interface, in React, with New York Times Travel Recommendations

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 10:14 AM PST

    I wrote a nifty tutorial series on how to clone Airbnb's search interface (grid of cards + map) to explore New York Times Travel Recommendations over the last 7 years: https://appendto.com/2018/10/airnyt-airbnb-nyt-clone/

    submitted by /u/coolrivers
    [link] [comments]

    Best career path for someone with disabilities - two years to teach myself (newbie question)

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 03:22 PM PST

    Please excuse how new I am to all this - I'm looking for some advice and don't know where to start. Last year I became disabled and am now only able to work about 20 hours a week, and must do so from home. I have enough savings to stay off benefits for two years but have had to abandon my previous career.

    I want to use these two years to retrain in something tech orientated, hopefully gaining the skills that will allow me to work largely from home and only 20 hours a week (within my new limits). It seems to me tech is my best bet for making a living wage from these limitations. I have a few questions for the folks here:

    1. Is this really a realistic goal? Does such a job exist? (I'm not driven by big money - I just want enough to sustain myself and stay off benefits.)

    2. What kind of job (and so learning) would most lend itself to my goal (1)? I'm not inclined towards design (I have some graduate level logic) but am open to absolutely anything. My goal is survival, not interest, at this point. (Please assume no background at all here.)

    3. Given 2, what would be the best place to start with learning?

    I hope these naive questions make some sense. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

    submitted by /u/Oliver080
    [link] [comments]

    Bootstrap tooltip stays after button click

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 12:41 AM PST

    Hi, i have a button, and i want a tooltip to be displayed when the user hovers over it. This works, however when the user clicks on it the tooltips stays instead of disappearing. I tried doing this:

     <script> $(document).ready(function() { $("body").tooltip({ trigger: 'hover', selector: '[data-toggle=tooltip]', }); }); </script> 

    But it doesn't seems to work :(

    Is there any solution?

    Thanks in advance :D

    submitted by /u/everek123
    [link] [comments]

    How to migrate Zimbra to Exchange 2016 Account for on-Premise Live Environment?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 12:37 AM PST

    Did you want to export Zimbra mailbox to Exchange Server account. Get the complete information about the whole process from the given Microsoft Gallery Post:

    https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/zimbra-to-exchange-fa43dc81

    submitted by /u/kuntalsahab
    [link] [comments]

    Is it pointless to add identifiers to variable names that say what it is?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 12:12 AM PST

    So context then data type or thing like doorsArray or doorsArr or objDoors... It's a thought of what comes first to mind, objectName, or nameObject.

    Could apply for parameter names to specify what it expects "off the bat" like:

    function something(paramBool, paramArr)

    Which if you're setting it(depends language) if you have function something(param = false) you could see that's expecting boolean

    thoughts?

    submitted by /u/crespo_modesto
    [link] [comments]

    Python Blockchain Programming Advantages and Development

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 11:52 PM PST

    Conditional compilation using preprocessor macros?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 11:43 PM PST

    I'm still getting my c++ legs. I have legacy c++ code that works, I've made changes to it, it still works, now I want to change it away from an external library (sort of) so that, if the ccmake configuration indicates this external library is available, it compiles with a set of functions that use that library, and if it doesn't have that library, I want it to compile a set of functions with a library I've written and included to do most of the same things. It seems I should be able to do this and compiler preprocessors is the only way I know of in the neighborhood, something like

    #ifdef ExternLib

    functions which use externLib

    #else

    my lib of functions

    No comments:

    Post a Comment