• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 30, 2018

    I waste like 1 hr 10 mins ~ 1 hr 30 mins everyday going to my work, any podcast you recommend? learn programming

    I waste like 1 hr 10 mins ~ 1 hr 30 mins everyday going to my work, any podcast you recommend? learn programming


    I waste like 1 hr 10 mins ~ 1 hr 30 mins everyday going to my work, any podcast you recommend?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 08:57 PM PDT

    Basically that, I would like to know if there is any podcast, audio or anything I can hear and "learn from" while going to my work.

    submitted by /u/AllahuAkbarSH
    [link] [comments]

    Why do web applications need the HTTP protocol and not simply use TCP?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 04:41 AM PDT

    Based on what I've understood about HTTP so far: it is an 'application layer' protocol i.e. used by web applications of different kinds and it has an underlying transport layer protocol such as TCP. However, since TCP itself can be used like, done by the netcat command to communicate with web servers, why do we use HTTP? What advantages does using HTTP give us?

    Edit: I meant another application layer protocol like netcat, not TCP.

    submitted by /u/ThiccShadyy
    [link] [comments]

    Have any expats started a career in programming while overseas?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 08:55 PM PDT

    I am American and I live in Vietnam with my Filipino wife. I'm thinking of making a career change because my current job is so boring. I have a lot of free time, so I've started learning programming (and I have enjoyed it a lot so far). We are thinking of relocating to the US, but it's proving to be a big pain and very expensive to get my wife a green card. We like living in Asia, so I'm wondering if I could make this career change while living overseas. Have any expats in this sub started a programming career while overseas? What kind of programming job is best to do overseas (I've been enjoying front-end web dev a lot)? Do you have any advice? If it's helpful info, I don't have a CS degree or any relevant work experience.

    submitted by /u/OnlineExpat
    [link] [comments]

    Demo Release! A Cross-Platform Card Game to Teach Binary and Hex

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 03:16 PM PDT

    We've been working on a game called Squally to teach the notoriously difficult parts of computer science

    - x86 assembly

    - binary/hex

    - data structures (stack, heap)

    - data types

    - pointers

    We just released a super early build of our card mini-game Hexus, which teaches binary/hex! You win by using binary operations to make cards weaker or stronger to outplay your opponent.

    There are definitely bugs, and there is no in-game tutorial yet, but we'd still love some early feedback!

    Check out the demo

    submitted by /u/Aecial
    [link] [comments]

    My story so far

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:54 AM PDT

    I'm on mobile, so forgive formatting errors.

    I made the decision to switch to a career in programming. I'm unhappy with my current career as a teacher. The work in ridiculous, the bureaucracy is bullshit, and the pay is minimal. I made more money bartending. I can't afford to go back to school, and programming seemed like the easiest path to a more satisfying, higher paying job. I fell in love with it.

    I dabbled for a few months in all sorts of resources, picking pieces here and there of various bits of the programming world. It was exciting, and I fell headfirst into the hole of technology. But I wasn't LEARNING anything. So I signed up for Colt Steele's web developer boot camp on Udemy. This has been my lifesaver. Coming from an education background, Steele's course is the perfect blend of lecture and self discovery. (This isn't an ad for the course or anything, it just really is that good). I just finished the HTML section. Every single exercise I was able to recreate a page in my first go. I know it's not much, but it made me feel amazing. But I ran into trouble, my area isn't exactly a great area to break into the programming world. I stagnated for a bit.

    Until I texted my sister, and told her what I was up to and my feelings about teaching. I knew she broke out of teaching and was doing well for herself, I just didn't know what she went into. She informed me that she started a web design business, but is mostly working with Wordpress and Adobe plugins. She's looking for a front-end developer, but is wary about hiring someone because she just started her business. She told me that if I got good enough at it, she would bring me in and join her in her business.

    So now, I'm studying as much as I possibly can with a full-time job. I'm reinvigorated. And I just wanted to say a big thank you to this community. You all are doing wonders for the programming world.

    submitted by /u/ducksflytogether_
    [link] [comments]

    Coding A Contact List App In Pure HTML, CSS, and JavaScript - Tutorial

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:30 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I've posted a few tutorials here in the past and they were well received. This one is a little longer, but I go over a bunch of things that I believe will help beginning web developers.

    Here is the video

    In my last post, you guys heavily requested that I do a video on Object-Oriented Programming. I am in the process of creating that video now, and I hope to have it out within the next couple of weeks. It's going to go in-depth so I want to make sure I don't rush it. Thanks for the patience on that one!

    In the meantime I hope you guys enjoy this tutorial.

    submitted by /u/portexe
    [link] [comments]

    What's a good idea for a project to learn programming? (maybe info sec)

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:04 PM PDT

    I'm enrolled in a few freshman level courses for my CS degree, reading a couple books and doing codecademy to try and learn more outside of the classroom and accelerate my learning in the field/degree. I recently have seen a few posts about beginners where people say "just do a project" or "start coding something" and that is apparently the best way to learn. Great, I'll start coding something... Well my question is WHAT should I code? I think I might be interested in Info Sec from some of the things people tell me but I dont know much about the field. Does anyone have any ideas for a project that I might be able to do, or maybe replicate one that someone else did, related to the Infosec field? I dont wanna just build a website, even though some people have said that's a good first project.

    submitted by /u/Pidge19
    [link] [comments]

    Best introductory courses for Makers?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:19 PM PDT

    I'm not a programmer, but I've learned some basic Python coding from Codacademy and such.

    I don't intend on becoming a full-time programmer, but I'd like to learn how to program for

    - Voice Assistants (Amazon Alexa, Google Home)

    - Messenger-based Chatbot

    So that I can control home-automation with custom built Arduino / Raspberry Pi.

    Here are some examples of things I hope to be able to make in the future

    - Check the GPS coordinates of a wifi device, if the device has been stationary in a number of designated areas for more than 2 hours, send a FB message to a designated person

    - Program Arduino for LED control for Hallowe'en costumes

    - Control an actuator to push a physical button via FB Messenger

    Most of the Smart devices I have are linked to Samsung Smartthings hub ( which uses Groovy language similar to Python, Ruby, Perl, and Smalltalk - https://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/getting-started/groovy-basics.html ), and Raspberry Pi uses Python, but I believe Arduino uses C/C++.

    So, not trying to learn HTML/CSS, or make a fancy website or an app,

    but rather, I'm more interested in learning to control things remotely via voice or text.

    Any recommendations on any online courses?
    Here are some options I've been considering...

    - https://www.codecademy.com/pro/intensive/build-web-apis-from-scratch $199

    - https://onemonth.com/courses/rails $99

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/fpenguin
    [link] [comments]

    How in depth are online coding sites?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 08:47 PM PDT

    I recently started coding a bit on codecademy and got the "pro" version for 20 bucks... was just curious how in depth I can get in coding (specifically java) on this site and/or others like it. If anyone knows of a better site let me know? So far I like how it is interactive and you get to figure out how to do some things and then watch a video if you dont understand it... I think that's a good way for me to learn, but I wont waste my time if it's just going to teach me the very basics and not get to the point where it's really hard and has some big projects and problems that will make me actually learn.

    submitted by /u/Pidge19
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to program a bot to win at a shell/cup game? Further explained in the post.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:21 PM PDT

    So I'm trying to figure out a way to make it so that a bot/macro is able to track a "ball" under 5 different cups and select the correct cup it would be under. Basically something like this.

    I am using JitBit macro recorder which seems pretty amazing and has been great at every other aspect I've thrown at it. I'm just not a programmer/experienced and thus don't understand how I would go about making it recognize which cup went where.

    The software can recognize images/pixel changes etc. It's also able to do all sort of other stuff like IF/ELSE statements etc. The "cups" and the environment they are in graphically are very simple and never change the way they look so recognizing the images each time wouldn't be a problem.

    I simply can't think of a way to go about this and it's driving me insane. Hope someone experienced is able to help and sorry if this isn't the right place to post!

    submitted by /u/VadimH
    [link] [comments]

    Store database of users?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 10:30 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I want to create a user database that keeps track of users. I know I should use SQL, but I'm not sure how to do that. It's a public program, so I need a way of accessing it without being able to do anything malicious. How would I go about setting that up or doing it?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MrBreadWater
    [link] [comments]

    Importing TextIO into a Java compiler(intelillj)

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:25 PM PDT

    In my class the teacher gave us the the text file TextIO, I then saved the file as TextIO.java in a folder on my desktop. I then opened intellij clicked on File, Project Structure, Module, Add Content Root and clicked on the folder that was on my desktop. It is now one of my source folders for the project. I then went back into the compiler, it shows TextIO appears read and the error is that TextIO is in the default package. Did I do something wrong? How can I get this error to go away?

    submitted by /u/evilmopeylion
    [link] [comments]

    Macs, ASLR, and stack smashing

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 05:50 PM PDT

    Hello! I'm in a secure coding class, and my current assignment is smashing the stack using C.

    I'm on macOS 10.14 and compiling with GCC 8.2. I know how to turn off stack protection, but I can't figure out how to turn off ASLR. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/pagodaphil
    [link] [comments]

    Noob question regarding ARM assembly and branching

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 11:39 PM PDT

    I am currently taking a microprocessors class and have just been recently studying ARM assembly for the first time. I have a question about branching specifically (if-else statements).

    My book, Introduction to Embedded Systems by Valvano gives us examples of if-else statements and here is one example:

    uint_32 G; if (G > 7) { GGreaterThan7(); } 

    ARM assembly equivalent:

    LDR R1, =G LDR R0, [R1] CMP R0, #7 BLS isGreaterThan7 BL next next 

    Now, the book gives all of its examples like so. It pretty much teaches you to ask the compiler/machine to NOT do something. Doesn't it make more sense for me to do this ?

    LDR R1, =G LDR R0, [R1] CMP R0, #7 BHI isGreaterThan BL next next 

    Is my code equivalent to what the textbook's code is ?

    Here are my textbook's examples:

    https://imgur.com/a/rfhWYuq

    To me, it makes more sense to give the instructions my way. Is my way correct as well ? Like everything in life, I prefer to tell something to do something, not to NOT do something. Does anyone understand what I am referring to here ?

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/braindead8868
    [link] [comments]

    I’ve just transitioned into becoming a freelancer...

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 11:21 PM PDT

    I have a simple question. I get paid by the hour - do I bill for hours spent on-boarding and being shown around the project, or is that not conventional? What about time spent on Slack chatting with members of the team?

    submitted by /u/FruitLukes
    [link] [comments]

    I need to create some sort of image analyzer for large object detection

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:13 AM PDT

    I have a project and for this i need to transmit images to a server every second to analyze it, so it can tell me where the big objects(the ones you cannot pass through, like a chair, a table, anything like that) are, i do not need to tell what object is that but rather to know where it is.

    I had in mind C# for this task, i know there are API's that can help me but i really do not know where to start looking for my specific problem, which is localization of the object and its dimensions.

    If anyone with experience in this area could help me it would be really helpful!

    PS not necessarily C# but i am the most familiar with it.

    submitted by /u/cristimc8
    [link] [comments]

    What's the most important thing to look for when reading someone's code?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 11:01 PM PDT

    What is the most important thing you look for when reading someone's code?

    submitted by /u/One_Pea
    [link] [comments]

    looking for a certain type of IDE for Python or C++

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:57 PM PDT

    I'm a teacher who would like to teach my students either C++ or Python, but with one major requirement: I need an IDE that uses a console window similar to the one that is used in JCreator for Java. I'm sure many of you will have strong negative feelings about JCreator, but it's what I'm used to and I'd like to give similar assignments to those I've given using JCreator. Anyone know of an IDE that uses a console window like the one in JCreator?

    submitted by /u/photo989
    [link] [comments]

    max-Subarray problem with recursion

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 10:36 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    Just when I though I understood recursion... I am currently trying to wrap my head around the recursive algorithm for the maximum sub-array problem. Here is the link to the pseudo-code.

    https://i.imgur.com/5lPOhmQ.png

    I have a lot of issues with this and I am turning to everyone here only after giving it some thoughtful consideration. What am I missing!?

    here are my thoughts/concerns.

    The recursion goes on splitting each sub array roughly in half until the base case is reached (one element) then low, high, and A[low] are returned then what happens... lets use an example..

    A = {-3, -2, 9, -4, 1, 7}

    so we enter our algorithm....

    line 1 not true go onto line 3 divide array and begin the recursion... we keep calling FIND-MAXIMUM-SUBARRAY until we hit out base case so we have the stack looking like this:

    {-3}

    {-3,-2}

    {-3, -2, 9}

    so line 1 is true (high == low) we return (low, high, A[low]) so 3 is our left-sum.

    One can see now that the next function on line 5 is called to find the right half and a similar sequence of events occurs for the right half resulting in right sum = 4 and another function entirely for finding the max-crossing subarray which I understand but have linked https://i.imgur.com/FE4NJCl.png

    Okay... so at the end of this I should have 3 values left-sum, cross-sum, and right-sum along with their respective indices. And i make comparisons in line 7, 9, 11 returning (to where I have no idea...) the values.

    Couple major problems in my understanding...

    1. Where in the is the "summing" taking place? there is no pseudo-code to even add anything...

    2. With my understanding only the last element is compared of each side, left and right...

    Please help me understand this kind of recursion... WHAT AM I MISSING HERE??

    Thanks in advance for any help... I am loosing sleep.

    submitted by /u/sbgiblin
    [link] [comments]

    I want to build an image hosting site with API access. The HTML+CSS+JS is completed, but I don't know what backend to go with.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 10:29 PM PDT

    Like the title says, I want to program an image hosting site with API access for uploading.

    The frontend's ready to go, but I have no idea about the backend.

    I've done a bit of research, but there's a lot that I'm still discovering. For example, you can host a web server with Node/Express JS, but it's not ideal once traffic picks up, namely, in terms of serving static files.

    I know Python programming, but have no idea how to go about using Python as a backend or where to even begin.

    I'm hoping someone can assess what I'm trying to accomplish and tell me what's best way to go about it and what are all the tools I'll need to accomplish this.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/user9713
    [link] [comments]

    What is often meant when someone is referred to as a “coding genius”?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 10:09 PM PDT

    So I can understand someone who's a math genius... as in someone who can reason very theoretically/abstractly and comprehend stuff very quickly

    Same thing with the sciences and most other fields. But what do people mean when someone is a "coding genius"? Does this mean he codes really quickly? Knows a lot of coding languages? Can figure out intricate coding algorithms?

    Just curious tbh

    submitted by /u/deranged_academic
    [link] [comments]

    Is having a mechanical engineering degree helpful for a self-taught programmer in the job search?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:11 AM PDT

    I recently graduated with a mechanical engineering degree. I'm going to start learning programming because I think it's a useful and versatile skill. I was wondering if hypothetically I wanted to change careers to work in machine learning/AI/backend programming in the future, how useful is having an engineering degree in getting your foot in the door? It's not computer science but the major is math-heavy and heavily focused on problem solving. Many jobs list desired majors as computer science, software engineering, math, or related and was curious if mechanical engineering would fall under "related".(I ask because I see some self-taught programmers with no/unrelated degrees sometimes have trouble getting initial interviews.) Thanks!

    submitted by /u/rmcknz
    [link] [comments]

    Help with RNG from 0-1

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:28 PM PDT

    I'm having difficulty trying to figure out how to create a random number generator that ranges from 0 to 1. I'm pretty new to programming and this may seem like an easy task to do, but I don't know how to. So, if there is anyone who knows how please help me. Thanks in advanced!

    submitted by /u/DabbingVoy
    [link] [comments]

    Manipulating RGB integer values

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:09 PM PDT

    Hi, I've been reading pixels from a JavaFX canvas and storing them as integer values. But I also want to change those values to get a different color. I've tried googling anything about manipulating rgb integer values, but keep seeing the same notation such as

    int red = (rgb >> 16) & 0xFF; int green = (rgb >> 8) & 0xFF; int blue = rgb & 0xFF;

    I have no idea what this means and can't seem to find an explanation either on what it means. Can someone please explain how to change these values???

    submitted by /u/Toscoes
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment