• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 5, 2018

    Resume Advice Thread - June 05, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Resume Advice Thread - June 05, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Resume Advice Thread - June 05, 2018

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to ask for resume advice and critiques. You should read our Resume FAQ and implement any changes from that before you ask for more advice.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    Note on anonomyizing your resume: If you'd like your resume to remain anonymous, make sure you blank out or change all personally identifying information. Also be careful of using your own Google Docs account or DropBox account which can lead back to your personally identifying information. To make absolutely sure you're anonymous, we suggest posting on sites/accounts with no ties to you after thoroughly checking the contents of your resume.

    This thread is posted each Tuesday and Saturday at midnight PST. Previous Resume Advice Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - June 05, 2018

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    In a rough spot- Internship offer rescinded

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 05:07 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    So I lost my internship offer due to being 0.03 off the required GPA. I know this is extremely close, but the company would not budge. The problem is, I traveled all the way to Dallas, Texas, and am stuck here for the summer. Returning home isn't an option, as I already have housing for the summer. Does anyone know of any companies hiring right now? Money isn't really an issue, I just really need the experience and something to do before I kill myself of boredom.

    Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/babadooook
    [link] [comments]

    Conditional Offer At BAE Systems - THANK YOU

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 01:11 PM PDT

    I have never posted here before, but I've been a long time lurker.

    Today I received a conditional offer (Dependent on grades) at BAE Systems as an Aerospace Software Engineer. This has been my dream for years and I'm so glad, thank you all for the help whether they were posts or comments, I appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/FineRepresentative
    [link] [comments]

    "Entry positions requiring n years of experience" is a salary negotiation tactic

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 12:54 AM PDT

    So I've noticed an uptake in posts asking for help on how to deal with job postings for entry positions asking for 3/4/5+ years of experience and a large laundry list of "required" skills.

    Let me tell you that this is a negotiation tactic. If you apply to the position and pass the interviews, they have a good starting ground to say "well we'd like to make you an offer but since you lack the experience we can only give you X instead of Y. With time you'll be eligible for raises blablabla"

    There are a number of ways you can answer that. My personal favourite was "There's a saying in German. 'Buy cheap, buy twice.' With that offer you're buying cheap and I guarantee you're going to buy twice. This is my asking and it's in line with my skills, education, experience in this region." (Obviously helps if you're negotiating front a position of strength or aren't under pressure to accept a job.)

    If you do accept their low offer and leave at the first chance for a better salery, it gives you the added bonus of going to HR and telling them "See? I told you. You're going to buy twice." (If you're feeling extra cheeky )

    Bottom line, don't feel discouraged by those requirements and do your best! After all, that's all anyone can ask of you.

    Best of luck!

    submitted by /u/polaroid_kidd
    [link] [comments]

    How to get an entry level software position for a defense company like Raytheon, Lockheed, Boeing, etc.?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 01:56 PM PDT

    I just wanted to get some advice as to what is the best way to go about getting an interview at one the big defense companies listed above. Is a bachelor's degree in Computer Science (Computer Engineering) and some side projects all you need to get your foot in the door and land a job? Or do they require that you have a prior internship or work experience (even though they state 0-2 years experience).

    Any feedback would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/kevag6
    [link] [comments]

    Non-technical employees have free reign to add cards to our kanban boards, and it's getting overwhelming.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 10:01 AM PDT

    I'm a new-ish (10 months) developer at a small company of 10 people, with four of us being full-time developers. We use a digital kanban board where bugs and feature requests are dropped into the backlog in order of priority. The issue I'm facing is that everyone in the company has free reign over the backlog.

    I've only really noticed this since I've become lead dev of one of our products. One of the salespeople will go and meet a customer in the morning, and by lunch they will drop 10 feature requests into the backlog straight from the customer's mouth, without consulting the senior dev about their feasibility or worrying about the timeframe. If this was on a very long scale I wouldn't mind much, but these feature cards are normally quite ambitious and they build up extremely quickly. I'm finding myself skipping lunch and staying in the office until 9pm more and more as the salespeople in the company pressure me to with something like "please finish by today and we can really pinch this sale".

    I would bring this issue up directly, but I'm the most junior person in the company so I'd like to get some outside advice first. Is this just an issue that developers need to face? Or should I put my foot down and say "This is a very big task, I want to go home and see my family tonight -- sorry if that means we lose the sale".

    Secondly, am I right in thinking that it's a bad idea for non-dev employees to have write permissions to our kanban board? I feel like I should have the ability to 'gatekeep' a bit and throw out requests that are bloated or unrealistic.

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/Vitenskapsmann
    [link] [comments]

    What percentage of employers will ask for a senior’s transcript/grades once they accept an offer as a software engineer?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 01:40 PM PDT

    This may be a common question asked around here, but I'm curious and slightly worried. I'm a rising senior, currently interning as a SWE, but my grades are, frankly, garbage. I feel like my grades don't accurately reflect my technical skills and definitely not my soft skills, so not getting a job/having an offer rescinded is a genuine worry of mine.

    submitted by /u/briand932
    [link] [comments]

    People who have reneged: have you ever lost your second offer?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 04:01 PM PDT

    I recently reneged an offer, telling them that I couldn't make it because of sudden relocation reasons (it was the truth.) I didn't mention the other offer I got though. The recruiter was angry and told me she would be calling my career services (but I never received an email indicating I would be banned...) and I don't really care since my college's career service sucks anyways. But I updated my linkedin with the position and the recruiter saw it, and she messaged me saying (paraphrased):

    Disappointed that you lied to us. Should've told us about the other offer. We would have been okay and wished you good luck. Instead, you demonstrated your lack of honor and lack of ethics at the beg. of career.

    I responded by saying it was an at will contract and I tried to be as courteous as possible, and provided an explanation even though I didn't need to. Now I realize it's kind of silly but I stand by it.

    What are the chances that she will call my new company up and try to get them to drop me? Will the new company even listen to them? (They tried really hard to recruit me after giving me the offer.)

    Thanks everyone

    submitted by /u/puzzlesthewill
    [link] [comments]

    No recent experience, can't find a job to GET recent experience.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 11:14 AM PDT

    Ok, now that the title is out of the way, let put some some brief background before I progress:

    I was a system/network admin from the late 90s to 2003. I quit doing IT after my job in 2003 was the 2nd one in a row where I was let go due to financial issues. Not my fault.

    Fast forward to 2018, I just got my Net+ and Sec+ last month, and am currently in training for my CCNA, and then MCSA Server 2012R2 starting later this month. Seems like my training is recent enough, and I'm showing that I have initiative by taking all of this training and paying out of my own pocket for it all.

    Now, the questions: 1) Some people have recommended that I do home lab/simulator work to show experience. Does this really work? To me, it would seem like a "Are you kidding me?" type of thing to put as experience.

    2) Are there any other recommendations on how to break back into IT? Also, another uphill battle is the fact that there are VERY few IT related jobs here in El Paso, and the few that are here are either dev jobs or asking for, of course, recent experience. So, with that in mind, I AM willing to entertain relocation.

    Thanks in advance for your constructive comments/suggestions/recommendations.

    submitted by /u/Its_not_yo_biz
    [link] [comments]

    What do more experienced devs do for cover letters?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 07:42 PM PDT

    Do they write them at all?

    I know if it's your first job it's supposed to be this passionate bit about yourself and the company fitting together and proving you can google a company's name. What are those of you not looking for your first gig doing for cover letters?

    submitted by /u/BellBivDinesh
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: Double-check your LinkedIn "Career Interests"

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 09:02 AM PDT

    I've had a couple issues with LinkedIn randomly reverting some of my settings, such as my 'open to recruiters' option reverting to off. I just happened to check my Career Interests this morning and my only open job interests were for internships! I don't know how much this affects recruiter search results, but I figure it won't hurt to keep it updated.

    submitted by /u/Styxman911
    [link] [comments]

    When do winter internships begin? And when do applications open for them?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 07:40 AM PDT

    I'm mostly concerned about Google's winter internship application start date, but other companies would be good to know too.

    submitted by /u/AfricanRains
    [link] [comments]

    A question regarding TCS and their hiring process (US).

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 12:19 PM PDT

    Hello!

    I finished school in May from a state school with a bachelor's in CS. I have not had luck finding any jobs as of yet, but I was contacted by TCS, and though I have seen some less than ideal reviews I am still interested in joining them. To give a reason on why I am rushed, I have a wife and child and don't make enough money at my current job. I also never did an internship, as I worked full time throughout school. TCS is the first real interview I had, though there are two other (almost definitely lower paying) companies I am also talking to. On to my questions, if anyone can please give me an idea.

    I interviewed on Saturday, and felt everything went well. I had 3 interviews that day, one with two guys that was slightly technical, a second with a guy and woman that seemed more logical, then finally after a little more waiting a third with a single guy who made sure I was okay with relocating (I said yes, and said I preferred Ohio). Everything was going pretty well in the last interview, and the guy was making sure I would be okay with diversity (I'm a US citizen, and I know they're Indian), and we were just chatting about the job for a bit. Then it was over, and I double checked it was okay to leave at the front desk, and the girl there said 'you had two interviews?', to which I said I had three. She sounded surprised in a good way, and said she checked me out and I was good to go.

    Then yesterday I got a phone call from an Ohio number, and there was a message double checking about my location preference. When I called back, the guy asked if I would be open to Rhode Island (which was mentioned earlier), but I said I would much prefer Ohio. He said that was not a problem and that they had many opportunites there too. I asked if he knew anything else, and he said they were working on my paperwork and I would hear back in a couple of days.

    For anyone who has gone through the Tata / TCS hiring process, how long did it take? And does this seem like good news? I am just trying to get an idea so I can know if I am moving or not, and I can't really find a lot of information by searching.

    Thank you!

    TL/DR - How long is Tata hiring process, and is it good if they call you to double check location.

    submitted by /u/csquestionthrowout
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to study algorithms while commuting?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 03:25 PM PDT

    I commute 2 hours everyday to my summer job and I would like to use this time to study. Does anyone have any tips for studying algorithms on the train, bus, etc? Do websites like LeetCode, GeeksForGeeks... support coding on smartphones?

    submitted by /u/slytherin1996
    [link] [comments]

    heavily considering suicide due to inability to find work

    Posted: 04 Jun 2018 09:55 PM PDT

    hi, I had to create a throwaway for this...

    as a prelude, I have been dealing with mental health issues as a result of my inability to find work. I graduated from a top UC nearly a year ago while sending out about 10-20 applications a day and networking at job fair events with alumni during the weekends and have yet to find any work. my parents are sick and so I have to stay with them (they are a bit older) and they carry a lot of debt with them that I've had the misfortune of taking over. I have been working my ass off trying to land even a single interview but have yet to have anyone respond, and if they do, they end up ghosting me. I am seriously considering committing suicide as the financial impact of my loans in addition to that of my parents compounding with the emotional frustration I am feeling feels insurmountable. its like trying to move an immovable rock and there doesn't seem to be any help to figure this out whatsoever. for the record i take medication for my depression and regularly excercise and try to eat well when i can afford it but i feel that its overwhelming and so saturated in the field that theres no hope anymore to pay off the loans i had the misfortune of undertaking.

    submitted by /u/sedderatre
    [link] [comments]

    Nodejs or Python for a backend development career

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 09:56 AM PDT

    I've been studying web development for about 2 years now and find myself far more interested in the back end. I've made a couple of Nodejs applications and am still working on becoming an intermediate / advanced JavaScript developer. I am not particularly interested in working in the front end. I know and can use HTML and CSS but really don't like to spend a lot of time with it, preferring to spend time on functionality.

    Recently I'm wondering if I should make a move to Python. The native libraries there may be preferable to me over the sometimes unreliable 3rd party npm libraires. And, as I understand it, it can be fairly quick to get projects up an running with Python meaning more productivity and more to show for your work.

    The Nodejs job market seems to want Full Stack Developers which would put me on front end work some of the time, perhaps more than I'd like. So I'm wondering if learning Python would suit my purposes better and provide more opportunities for the kind of work I'm interested in.

    I'd be interested in any thoughts or feedback. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/InkToe
    [link] [comments]

    Why is the software industry such a place of extremes for quality of jobs?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 02:25 PM PDT

    On one hand, software engineering is one of the most lucrative professions you can take that still have loads of jobs, and make some of the most money. On the other hand this field is also filled with jobs from what I call "Craigslist delusionals", the people who post some bottom rank $15/hr jobs with zero benefits to do things that decent companies will pay you over twice that amount for the same.

    So the field feels oddly like a big city. You have the very rich places, and mostly decent places and then you have some really ghetto shit. Why are the lows so rock bottom? What would you think help make quality of jobs converge closer to the current median, and be more uniformly decent? Maybe the software job market is not really that good. As long as these rock bottom jobs exist, the software industry is not in a healthy state. Change my view, CSCQ.

    submitted by /u/throwies11
    [link] [comments]

    Projects (Quality vs Quantity)

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 04:34 PM PDT

    Hey folks

    I wanted to ask a simple question regarding side projects, is it better to have quantity or quality? For example there are tons of online courses teaching people how to create applications using Node and those tutorials usually end with a fully functioning site that doesn't do much. Is it better to knock out a bunch of these tutorials to say "I can make something functioning with Node, Angular etc." or to focus on one project and put all your time into making it great?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/mekapr1111
    [link] [comments]

    Improving problem solving skills

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 02:10 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I am applying for a full-time position as I will graduate on Dec. 2018. I've been constantly coding averagely 6-8 hours a day (aside from school's work) on self projects or learning new stuff. Recently I joined Leetcode and practiced solving algorithms question. Do you guys have any suggestion on how to improve problem solving skills under time pressure? Sometimes I really struggled with medium problems on Leetcode and even don't know where to start.

    submitted by /u/phamhoang95
    [link] [comments]

    How do I go from being a mediocre developer to a great developer?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 02:04 PM PDT

    I have a degree in CS from an average college in a country that produces average developers but the degree itself was useless. I thought myself how to code by going through tutorials, Coursera etc. while I was in college and I've been working for a few years now.

    Thanks to efforts of my own, I was & am a much better programmer than my peers which has helped my land great jobs. However, at my current job, I work with some brilliant folk who were educated in the US and I feel my limitations. If I were in the US, I'd probably be an average or below average developer.

    I can still gets pull requests merged and issues closed so it is not affecting my career and my job should be safe right now but I am worried if I'll be able to survive in the long run.

    I've also been working on some side projects in the last few years. I can make CRUD apps day in and day out but things completely fall apart when I try to build something that's even a little more complex.

    Further studies is not really an option for me in the near future due to financial and personal reasons. MOOCs worked well in bringing me from a n00b to an average level of competence but I feel like the difficulty/skill development has plateaued with me taking newer courses.

    I am aware of my current limitations and I want to become a better developer. I have tried to follow some advice I've found online like "observe what others are doing and try to repeat it", "put in more time", "learn DS/algorithms" etc. but none of them have helped me so far.

    I am probably missing a few other points but I hope you get the point. Has anyone here been in a similar situation? How did you get past the barrier? Please guide me in the direction I can take to become a great developer. Thanks!

    Edit: I graduated from college ~4 years ago, for context.

    submitted by /u/aver_age_
    [link] [comments]

    Do companies offer a 4 to 6 months internship?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 09:16 AM PDT

    I'll be available for an internship from January till May/June. Do companies offer these? If so, which ones do?

    submitted by /u/cataglottis
    [link] [comments]

    What advice would you give to a single intern at a company?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 07:42 PM PDT

    So I'm pretty sure I'm the only intern my company will have over the summer- They only had 1 spot open. Looking through other posts, everyone always says "make friends with other interns, get to know them, make plans with them, etc" but I won't have that option here unfortunately. If anyone has been a only intern at a company, or just has some general advice to give, I'd appreciate it!

    submitted by /u/Adre11111
    [link] [comments]

    List of possible Software Development career paths?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 07:37 AM PDT

    Is there a list of (maybe not all, but most) different careers paths you can transition into from a software background (with the exception of the obvious ones like PM or Team Leads)? I would like to start specializing in something and doing some certificate programs, but I'm not exactly sure which path to go down or what paths are even available.

    So yeah, do these sites/lists exist?

    submitted by /u/nvena
    [link] [comments]

    Recruiters: when assessing candidates, what do you expect from someone who has been self-employed/freelancing for the majority of their career? (Specifically, web development)

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 07:30 PM PDT

    Finding jobs is difficult at best whether I'm being filtered out by not having a degree or by the fact that most of my work is backend. I'm rectifying the degree part, but how does one appear more desirable in the eyes of potential employers when they are primarily freelancers?

    submitted by /u/damnburglar
    [link] [comments]

    So what is expected of an intern? What makes a good intern?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 07:10 PM PDT

    I started an internship last week and there's no real structure to it. I'm simply trying to take tasks from their Jira board and do them, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I've asked questions but my supervisor is super busy 90% of the time. What is expected of an intern to accomplish? what makes a good intern?

    submitted by /u/beelzebub666
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment