• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 2, 2018

    Resume Advice Thread - June 02, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Resume Advice Thread - June 02, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Resume Advice Thread - June 02, 2018

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to ask for resume advice and critiques. You should read our Resume FAQ and implement any changes from that before you ask for more advice.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Tuesday and Saturday at midnight PST. Previous Resume Advice Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - June 02, 2018

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Do "slow" learners have a chance in the industry?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 07:19 AM PDT

    As a CS undergrad, slow in the sense that I don't feel confident being exposed to concepts super fast in one quick session then being expected to fumble my way through some application right then and there. When I study I like to really pour over the details and context of what I'm learning at home, research outside information to supplement what I've been assigned, process the big picture, ruminate over the details, practice until I get a really good handle on it, sleep over it, then apply what I've learned. It's not my forte to "learn" something in 30 minutes then be expected to "find my way through on the job" in a high-stress frenzy. I keep hearing you have to be a quick learner and apply things instantaneously, almost like learning through osmosis. Are slow learners like me doomed?

    submitted by /u/eucalyptusmonk
    [link] [comments]

    To engineers who transitioned into PMs: What was your experience like? Pros, cons and any surprises about the job?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 12:35 PM PDT

    I have an opportunity to become a PM after a few years of experience as a Javascript developer. I'm not sure whether to pursue it or not. So I was wondering what experiences others have had in a similar situation. I understand that it will obviously be different from company to company but I'm curious to hear about others' experiences.

    What were some of the difficult things about being a PM? What do you like the most about it? Any thing you found surprising while working as a PM?

    EDIT: I mean PM as in PRODUCT manager

    submitted by /u/gerradisgod
    [link] [comments]

    Why is cloud computing a "skill"?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 07:58 AM PDT

    When I read job postings, I often see "cloud computing" etc. listed as a desirable skill. When they ask for "skill" in cloud computing, what exactly does that mean? I spent a summer with MS Azure during an internship in 2017, but I never saw any deeper significance to the fact that my VMs were remote and not on the premises. Like, yes, it was cool and all, but how was this a technical challenge to me, the engineer who was using it? What special challenges and obstacles do you face "in the cloud"? After my internship, do I comply with anyone's notion of "engineer with cloud computing experience"? I'm dumbfounded as to what the cloud skill set actually is.

    submitted by /u/engineerL
    [link] [comments]

    What misconceptions did you have about software engineering before you started working?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 01:25 PM PDT

    What was your biggest misconception about working as a software engineer or the software/tech industry in general that you held until you started working in the industry?

    submitted by /u/Antrikshy
    [link] [comments]

    Just Finished My 2nd week of my first internship and I'm Loving it!

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 11:29 AM PDT

    So I got lucky and landed an internship at the first and only company I interviewed for. My First 2-3 days I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. My mentor ran me through how to do some CRUD and then set me loose on some of my own tickets. I was so lost and honestly started to rethink my field. Hell, the other intern that started with me quit after her first 2 days!

    Not only was I alone and confused, but on my 3rd day they assigned me to a brand new project they were actually doing for a client. Little did I know this was a blessing in disguise. They started me from the bottom up with using .NET core (which they just started using). I created the domain models, mappings, and services before finally digging into the views and starting in on some CRUD. Now at the end of my second week I've completed a ticket that used to take me 14 hours in 3.

    I think learning from the bottom up and seeing how all the files communicated really helped in moving forward. I feel like I've learned more in these last 2 weeks than I have in my entire time in university. Not only this but I'm having a ton of fun doing it. I was worried that maybe SE would bore me, but I can enthusiastically say I love it. I see a lot of posts from worried college students in my situation on here and thought it would be good to make a positive post.

    submitted by /u/oannes
    [link] [comments]

    What skills are expected from a mid-level Java Developer?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 11:28 AM PDT

    If you were hiring a mid-level Java Developer, say with 2-3 years of work experience, what technical skills (frameworks, technologies, other languages, etc.), would you expect them to be proficient in, regardless of the business domain?

    Obviously every company has a different stack and requirements, but if you were to generalize, what would they be?

    submitted by /u/mowgli1703
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on a toxic team lead

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 02:15 PM PDT

    I work in a small programming team (about 6 people total + product manager) that's part of a larger company. Before I arrived a year ago, the former team lead left and the second in command got promoted. I used my experience to better the project and kept doing good work for the past year that was really appreciated by our product manager and the rest of the team.

    I get along with everybody on the team, except for the team lead, who seems to have it in for me. Whenever I have suggestions at meetings, he keeps shutting me down. I'm the most vocal in meetings and ask the most questions in order to get the whole picture and have less surprises when we start development. But he's irritated because I'm always "overthinking it" during the planning periods.

    Most of his ideas are contested by the team, but there's nothing we can do about it. He's also an excellent speaker, so he can come up with an excuse for anything and will exhaust you into giving in to his demands.

    He's also a chronic procrastinator who takes forever to start working on a task and then when the deadline approaches, he expects us to stay overtime to finish our work, even though it's because of him that we're running late.

    To give you another example, we're late on an important feature and he's been coming in on weekends and staying in late for the past two weeks. Some of the others have been doing the same on occasion mostly out of fear. This causes lousy code that gets passed the review in a hurry and for components that will get into production without getting properly tested. He never asked me or anybody to stay in late, but he lets everybody know every day that he was the last one to leave every night.

    I talked to everybody and they're all pretty unsatisfied. I even noticed friction between him and our product manager. He always makes promises about a feature launch and it never gets finished on time. Meanwhile, the product manager sends out newsletters and memos and then we don't deliver.

    The problem is that most of the team is just too afraid to speak up and the product manager is terrified of losing people because the company has a hard time finding new programmers.

    What should I do? Should I have a one on one with the product manager and tell him everything I told you? Or should I just start complaining at our next sprint retrospective (where the product manager is also present) and hope that everybody will back me up? Or both?

    I like the job, I like the project and I like the team, but there's always an asshole that has to ruin it for everybody...

    submitted by /u/zapruder_
    [link] [comments]

    I have one more semester left. Should I apply for entry-level jobs right now?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 07:32 PM PDT

    I'm talking about job postings that say "entry level". Should I apply for them or will they immediately disregard my application because I haven't graduated yet. I am expected to graduate in December 2018. I also live in NYC if that helps at all.

    submitted by /u/Editamuni
    [link] [comments]

    Data Scientist or Machine Learning engineer?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 07:31 PM PDT

    Hi all, I'm a recent graduate from a good CS master program. I've been accepted into a late stage startup with a great culture and am looking forward to spend my next few years here. The company offered me a choice between a junior ds and a ml engineer position.

    I have specialized in ML during my masters and have won a few datathons here and there, but no commercial DS experiences at all. I've done a few internships involving data enginnering and backend development, but none of them are similar to ml enginneering, which from my research seems to comprise the full range of work involved in productionizing and operationalizing ml models. At this stage, I have no strong preference for the content of the work. I do know that they will lead to very different set of skills and career directions, at least for a few years. Assume that all else holding constant, which direction offers more career development opportunities and job mobility, in your opinion?

    submitted by /u/looprecursion
    [link] [comments]

    What motivates you?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 07:04 AM PDT

    Money? The product at hand? maybe you work for a non-profit? Learning new technologies? The joy of coding?

    submitted by /u/proboardslolv5
    [link] [comments]

    CS professionals, what kind of side projects would you recommend CS undergraduates work on to get more experience solving different kinds of problems that could be found in the workplace?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 03:39 PM PDT

    So at what point would you consider that you “know” a skill?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 03:45 PM PDT

    Skill meaning a skill or a tool.

    To place on your resume, of course.

    Would it be after watching some hour long YouTube video on the basic commands and how to set it up?

    Or would it be after some free online class that goes through all the basic information?

    Or would it be after you complete a project utilizing the tool?

    Or would it be if you can answer trivia questions about the skill?

    Or would it be after you actually used the tool in an enterprise/business setting in your job?

    submitted by /u/ml-the-one
    [link] [comments]

    I graduated from college in 2015 with bachelor's in CS but didn't go into SWE after graduating. Now, I want to start my career in SWE.

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 01:23 PM PDT

    Hello, fellow Redditor!

    I have a unique situation here, and I'd love some input/thoughts.

     

    My situation

    I graduated with a BA in CS from a top 10 school in the US. Since graduating in 2015, I went into teaching and tutoring English because I wanted to teach kids.

     

    I had also opened up a retail business in that time span to experience what's it's like to operate a business. It failed and the business was closed after 9 months.

     

    While teaching was fun, I wanted to start my career in software and build cool things. So I left my teaching position last November and have since completed the Udacity Full Stack Web Developer Nanodegree.

     

    Currently, I live in SoCal and have been looking for jobs nearby. Most jobs are asking for professional experience in WebDev, which I don't have.

     

    I didn't do any SWE internships during college because I was taking summer school to complete the major + minor in business/marketing. However, I did have non-technical internships at a very small tech startup during my first summer and during a year off from school that involved bits of project management and writing business proposals.

     

    The dilemma

    So I have all this non-SWE experience and no SWE experience to show for, except class projects (from years ago) and some side projects I made during the Udacity course.

     

    I have a good understanding of JavaScript, HTML, CSS, Python and am learning the React/Redux. I plan to learn the MERN stack. I don't remember the DS/Algo stuff having been out of college for so long.

     

    What should my resume look like? Are my non-tech experiences irrelevant and thus should not be featured? Should I review DS/Algo?

     

    If you could chip in some advice, I'd be extremely grateful. I'm feeling quite lost, and I need to figure out what I should prioritize.

    submitted by /u/trp8rx
    [link] [comments]

    I don't know how should i feel about this internship..

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 07:06 PM PDT

    2 weeks completed, I have yet to start a project. Up to this point, other people in my team were helping me with the on-boarding process, getting me setup . It consisted me learning about their technology and other people in the team help me setup everything which took a lot of time because people in my team never really had interns before (only 1 before on my team). My manager told me that he is talking with his boss about my project. I don't know if i should be worried since i haven't done actual work for 2 weeks. I feel like Interns don't really start working until few weeks in so this should be a normal thing but I don't know. Since this is my first internship i don't really know how to feel about this. I don't know what a typical timeline an intern goes through, or when workload increases for the interns.

    submitted by /u/DesertBaller24
    [link] [comments]

    Online coding tests (prep)

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 06:55 PM PDT

    For Leetcode do guys solve the problem on a separate IDE first? since LeetCode doesn't have auto complete when writing code?

    submitted by /u/DesertBaller24
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on a Career Direction into Software Development

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 12:45 PM PDT

    X-post from /r/learnprogramming. Just learned about this place.

    So throwaway due because of personal information that I might reveal.

    I am having lot of difficulty finding a job/career. I graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering in Dec 2016, and I've been job searching since. Everything has been turning up empty, I've had one interview, lots of rejections and lots of no answers. At this point, I'm still gonna keep applying for jobs, but it has become clear to me, I might need to abandon (sorta) the engineering path, especially since I specialized or learned more in the direction of semiconductors and physical hardware. In which, all the jobs for that require or desire several years of experience. No one want an entry level guy. Then I looked up and found out that electrical engineers are on the downward trend towards being hired.

    Luckily or unluckily, I do live in Austin, Texas. Which is the Mecca for Software jobs. Whenever I look at the jobs available in area, it's all prefaced with Software in the title. So, in that case, maybe it's time I start moving my skills and knowledge towards software development, and hopefully with my degree, I can get something like a Software Engineer job.

    So, I'm gonna sit down, well, sit more down, and just power through languages, but I want to optimize what I learn. So, as a electrical engineer graduate, I did learn some basics of C++, and Python. I'll be honest, it's be awhile, so I'm gonna sit through some videos and relearn C++ and Python. I also played around with a pretty worthless language called Assembly, I also looked at VHDL/Verilog, but I barely remember any of that.

    What languages, should I pour my efforts into learning first to slowly shift my resume towards software. What experiences or knowledge should I, for lack of better words, experience to list on my resume to appeal to recruiters for software engineers?

    Any advice is appreciated, Thanks guys

    submitted by /u/Throwaway-Austin
    [link] [comments]

    Product Management vs. Software Engineering

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 06:11 AM PDT

    I'm graduating with a BS in computer science next year, and I was pretty sure I was going to search for a software engineering job, because I enjoy coding. However, I recently got an offer for an internship in product management which could turn into a full-time opportunity after graduation. Full disclosure, I didn't know about the existence of product management until someone directly reached out to me with this internship opportunity.

    I was wondering if anyone could provide any general insight on product management vs. software engineering. I've heard it's much more difficult to switch from product management to software engineering than the other way around. I was also wondering how the job security of each compares. Thanks for any input!

    submitted by /u/brokenzoom
    [link] [comments]

    How to decline offers if I don't want to move?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 11:08 AM PDT

    I'm a software engineer at my current company. Lately I've accepted invitations to interview at other companies, I feel I'm underpaid and had no salary increase in a while (also I think the whole team as well so I think it's a team/department issue) I keep getting invitations to interview on LinkedIn so I accepted those as I want to get interviewed to 1) know how competent I am during interviews and to 2) know my market value (how much I'm going to be offered.)

    I don't want to move because I think it's a great company to work for where I am and maybe I can get a better opportunity in the company later, also promotion cycle is within a month so there's a chance that things get better.

    So I got an upcoming interview. If I get accepted and got an offer, how do I decline it politely and in a way that doesn't hurt my chances there later?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/TheMido
    [link] [comments]

    Maintaining Career Momentum As an Intern/Student in Canada

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 12:35 PM PDT

    Hey /r/cscareerquestions , I have a few questions about being able to maintain my career momentum through internships and opportunities while staying in Canada.

    To preface, I'm currently a 3rd year student studying Software Engineering in Canada at a really unknown school (Guelph). I've completed two four month internships so far and am doing my third right now. My current salary is $75k/annum, working in the Kitchener/Waterloo area. My current job is pretty amazing, I have good work/life balance and my relationship with my manager is good. I'm constantly being challenged and have personally seen my responsibilities increase and he compares me to the equivalent of an actual Junior Dev. I had to take a slight paycut from my previous job because I wanted to work on a more interesting product and learn a new stack. Thinking about my next term, I'm worried about having to take a pay cut and reduce my career momentum, since I do prioritize learning new things and gaining new experiences much more. In a best case scenario I would like to receive a pay raise and work somewhere else. The problem is however, I know my salary right now is already decent for an intern in Canada, and I'm not too willing to go to the states since I have a family and girlfriend in Canada. Also, I find it quite hard for me to get past the screening state (applied to 50+ positions last term) since my school isn't a target school. I have however interviewed a few times, but have been rejected. When asking for feedback from the interviewers, they usually respond saying that I did a good job - but they ended up hiring more qualified candidates from other schools.

    As I see it right now, my options are basically:

    • Go to the USA and make more money, while advancing my career
    • Stay in Canada and hope that I retain somewhat similar salary at a different position/company
    • Stay with current company and ask for raise, and work on a different team/request to work on different stack

    So my question is:

    • Are there any jobs in Canada that pay comparable salary, and are they reasonably attainable?

    • Does going to California truly boost career momentum and trajectory when I look for full time?

    Unrelated question also, I see myself going into management rather than being an individual contributor later down the road since I believe my strengths lie in communication and design. Is a masters worthwhile and help with being able to work my way up into these positions?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/analyticalduck
    [link] [comments]

    Working for a company that uses old technology?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 06:29 PM PDT

    For reference, I know that many companies are still using outdated tech. However, it's still worrying to me that I won't be an appealing candidate in future jobs, or won't gain very many transferable skills.

    The company that I'm looking at is a large insurance firm, but they mainly are using Progress OpenEdge. I don't know really anything about it, and looking on Google the documentation seems pretty bad. It doesn't really matter though, they said they would train me and the company has a solid training program.

    However, how would this look on my resume? I know Progress is really freaking old, and I would have liked to find something that does things in Java, C++, etc. so that I would be more appealing to future companies.

    I don't know what to think or how big of a concern this really is. If anybody has any thoughts, or has been in a similar situtation, I would appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/uofmscrub
    [link] [comments]

    Asking for a raise as an intern

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 02:31 PM PDT

    Seven months ago I started working part-time as an intern at a company that has ~29k employees in Wisconsin in a city of about ~52k people. It's a pretty big company to the area. The division I work in has ten engineers, and maybe six of them can code. We draft project agreements for the work that other areas are willing to budget out for software they would like. I get paid $15/hr.

    I was brought onto a large web development project that was under-budgeted by the one other developer working on the project with me. In the end, we ended up releasing on time. Although, I had to put a lot strain on myself to meet all of the deliverables, sometimes staying 30+ hours a week while taking 13 credits of 400 level math and CS courses. I can safely estimate that I completed 75% of the work for the project. Anyways, we released last week and now I'm very happy with the state of the application.

    My project owner's boss liked the app so much, he decided to fund us for another release with more features. We drafted up a new project agreement with realistic more realistic deliverable estimations and will be presenting it to him next week. In addition, I alone will be taking on another development project for another part of the company. I've also taken a soft of dev-ops type role in the division as I introduced my team and nearby teams to better version control and project management tools like Git and TFS.

    I am now working full-time. Given all that, and that this is my third internship, and that I have one more semester of school, what do you think would be an acceptable amount to ask for? What do you think would be the best approach? I'm thinking about asking for $21 given the circumstances and basically laying out what I have stated here.

    submitted by /u/KillerQ360
    [link] [comments]

    Just got screwed over for my internship

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 05:56 PM PDT

    So I got accepted into an internship that was posted online a few months ago. I talked to the company about what I would be doing and all that.

    Today, they tell me that because of labor law requirements, they aren't holding the position anymore, ultimately screwing me over for the whole summer.

    Is what they did legal? Are companies still hiring interns? I feel completely let down and I am scared as to finding a full-time job in the future without intern experience this summer.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Lilnaynay22
    [link] [comments]

    Is now the best time to switch jobs?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 05:24 AM PDT

    The job market is hot in the US. Unemployment is below 4%. Employers have added jobs for 92 months straight, a record. Job growth has experienced a recent uptick. While this article says wages aren't going up like they should, I'd bet they are for software devs. Demand is up and supply can't keep up, so prices (wages) should go up.

    So my question is: is now the best time to switch jobs? We may never see market conditions like this again in our lives.

    A follow-up: if the market tanks in 5-10, are we job hoppers first in line for layoffs?

    The Jobs Recovery: A Longer View
    https://nyti.ms/2LRRKz5

    submitted by /u/GolfSucks
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment