• Breaking News

    Monday, June 18, 2018

    Interview Discussion - June 18, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Interview Discussion - June 18, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Interview Discussion - June 18, 2018

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 12:09 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about interviews, interviewing, and interview prep. Posts focusing solely on interviews created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Monday and Thursday at midnight PST. Previous Interview Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - June 18, 2018

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 12:09 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    New grad, new job hell

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 06:26 AM PDT

    Back in October I got hired as a software engineer for a larger company in my state. The interview was amazing and the interviewer kept stating how great the place is, company morale etc. I just began working for them 2 weeks ago after graduation and I'm so, so depressed.

    I had spent the time from my interview to hiring date practicing my mobile and java skills because that was the team I thought I was hired on. No big deal, experience is always a plus however the team I got put was some legacy team. When I walked in and met my manager she essentially complained there's no room for any more and stuck me in some makeshift desk around people who barely spoke English away from my team and said there was a task on git for me to start. After setting up I attempted to introduce myself to my team of 8 however they're all incredibly introverted or hate people it seems. All day long they just type away and don't say a word to each other. My manager is one of the worst of the bunch and never says a word to me. I feel like as a new grad and new to the company i should have been assigned someone to talk to such as a mentot? Trying to set my environment using 8 yr old guides and begging for access to databases and figuring out my first assignment was horrendous. No one wanted to help and I felt so annoying.

    I finished the first task and have now been sitting here for days with no work. I've asked my manager if I should try and pick up stuff from backlog but she says she will assign work so ive been doing learning courses on my own with pleursight.

    I don't know what to do, I feel so alone and like I'm just going to rot or get fired. I had dreams of challenging my skills and becoming part of a team as I did with internships. I've cried in my car so much since starting and it's just awful. I don't know what to do, I can't quit obviously and they say team transfers are up to managers after 6 months or so.

    Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I feel so useless.

    Edit: I should add the team behind me is actually friendly and at least talk to me and I see them actually act like a team and doing projects. So it seems to be a team/manager issue.

    Update: Thanks for the advice and experiences everyone. For now I'm going to treat it as a paid learning environment and keep on trying to connect with the other team and potentially getting rescued by them.

    submitted by /u/testmousecara
    [link] [comments]

    Best Job Boards for finding Entry Level/Internships positions (US)

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 04:06 PM PDT

    I recently graduated with a CS degree, from a top 30 CS programs in the US. However, I don't have any experience in the industry. I live in SF, but I don't know how to take advantage of the tech culture here and how to make connections. (I went to school out of state).

    In the mean time, I've been learning NodeJS and refreshing some of the stuff I learned throughout school. Any other advice?

    submitted by /u/DirenBodom
    [link] [comments]

    I was just put on a PIP. Should I continue to stay late to meet deadlines during product launch? How do I navigate the relationship with my boss? How do I ensure I don’t jump right away into another toxic work situation?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 08:40 AM PDT

    I was put on a PIP recently with an end date in 1 month, which is right after our company's product launch. To be honest, my currently job of 7 months is pretty toxic, and I started focusing on finding new jobs the last few months rather than focusing on my current one. I'm micromanaged, publicly shamed for small mistakes, my boss raises their voice at me and talks to me like I'm dumb, and I was misled about my job tasks before I joined, among other things. At this point, my relationship with my boss is pretty broken, and I'm almost sure I will be fired no matter how I do during this period.

    What should I do about my current work situation? My team is currently trying to go through a product launch in 1 month, and that will mean my team staying very late every day, I estimate until 9-10 in the evening, if not later, for about 4 weeks. That will significantly cut into my job search. I think the smart thing to do would be to just leave at a reasonable time since I'm probably going to get fired anyway, but how do I get over the guilt of leaving my teammates high and dry?

    I'm also a non-confrontational person and do not want to be ripped apart by my boss for leaving early before I meet my deadlines, which has happened before. My boss also wants weekly meetings during my PIP, although I suspect more likely because HR is making them rather than they want to help me. How do I speak of my work performance during these meetings if I'm not giving my all during this period and possibly missing deadlines, because I'd rather leave at a reasonable time than be milked right before they fire me? What if my boss threatens to fire me before the period ends because I'm not staying late to meet deadlines?

    I took my current job out of desperation, and it was the only one being offered to me. I don't want to make the same mistake, but how picky can I be when I only have 4 weeks to find another job? In my experience, the period from applying online to getting an offer takes at least 1 month. What if the only offer I get during this period is a company I get red flags from? Sure I can join short-term, but I've also only been at my current job for 7 months. What if I'm unable to find another job during my PIP period and get fired before that can happen? Should I try to find a decent job or just take the first offer that's available?

    submitted by /u/randomredditor63
    [link] [comments]

    Totally Ghosted by Former Boss

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 10:36 AM PDT

    I previously worked as a developer at a company for about 3 years directly for Smith (not real name), my Manager. Smith and I had a great relationship, I loved working there, we had a great team. I thought Smith and I had really good professional and personal relationship. I left because I feared new leadership was going to fire people and wanted to get ahead of any layoff situation. A few months later there were layoffs, but not from development.

    Not long after leaving I met up with Smith and some other people socially, everyone got a long great, I sensed no ill will from Smith. Since then I've been firing off an email every six months so to touch base, offer to meet for lunch whatever. No response, fine, I figure Smith is busy.

    So recently, Smith assumed a VP position at the old company and they're hiring. I sent an email Smith inquiring about the new positions. Again nothing.

    How would you interpret this situation? My tendency is to assume Smith ghosting me, we were never the friends I thought we were, and I had it all wrong.

    submitted by /u/halfduece
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone ever actually followed /u/elliotbot's or jwasham's study guides? What were your results?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 05:41 PM PDT

    For reference:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/6278bi/ https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/565ors/

    I'm looking to leave my Midwestern entry-level defense contractor job (at one of Lockheed/Boeing/Northrop Grumman) of about a year, and I'd like to be able to work at a BigN, but I'm not sure what my approach should be to get ready for the gauntlet that is to come.

    I graduated in May of 2017 from a non-target state school with a ~3.75 GPA, majoring in Computer Engineering and minoring in CS.

    Basically, I'm not gonna get the job based on my school name, and I'm not gonna get the job based on my current work experience, so I need to get REALLY fucking good at DS&A questions.

    submitted by /u/Terriflyed
    [link] [comments]

    Work From Home Policy Removed, Should I Look For Other Opportunties

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 11:45 AM PDT

    Recently at my job it was announced that working from home would no longer be allowed unless there was a specific circumstance. Previously we had 2 days from home which was really nice. Most team members are not happy about this change and it looks like others may consider leaving. This was on of the things that attracted me to the opportunity and it really sucks to lose it. My question is do a lot of SE jobs offer at least 2 days from home? How hard is it to adjust back to going to the office 5 days a week? Would this be a good reason to look for other opportunities, or should I wait and see?

    submitted by /u/smokey8999
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a Linkedin Noob, How do I use it effectively?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 07:25 AM PDT

    About to graduate and while I have a few personal contacts I have reached out to, I see a lot of people get traction by using linkedin, thing is I don't have an extensive contact list (it's under 30). I get some profile views, but never from any kind of recruiters. Am I supposed to add recruiters to my contact list without any previous contact?

    Never really used it before, any tips would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Vinylr3vival
    [link] [comments]

    Planning to relocate, looking for advice on cities

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 04:16 PM PDT

    I currently live in a somewhat remote area of Tennessee without many SE job opportunities. I have close to 3 years of experience since I graduated split between 2 companies and I do have a pretty good job at the moment, but my wife and I really want to relocate to a bigger city with more opportunities within the next year. We definitely want to move to a city (aside from the job opportunities, we also want things to do), but we've ruled out some of the obvious options like San Francisco and New York since the cost of living is so high (we'd also like to buy a house in/near the city soon after moving). So far we've narrowed it down to Raleigh, NC, Nashville, TN, and Austin, TX, which all seem to have pretty good tech job markets and reasonable costs of living and property prices. But I'm interested to know if anyone here is from these areas and can comment on the job market and generally how it is to live there and I'd also love to get other suggestions from people who have settled in different cities and found good jobs: where did you go, how do you like it, did you have difficulties finding a job, etc. All input and advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/mbise1993
    [link] [comments]

    Company asked me to compute a huge fibonacci resulst as a test, whats the point of it?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 05:09 AM PDT

    I mean, I could create a script and compile it in my pc. I can optimize it a bit with memoization etc to look and run better. But I cannot comprehend what is the point of making a interviewee compute such a HUGE fibonacci (lets say f(7584), not the actual but close). Could there be something they expect of me beyond just the computing this ridiculous result? Could they expect me to say "this shit shouldnt be computed in the first place" or something?

    They are a huge company in my country and well-known so that makes me think what is their motive.

    submitted by /u/hattori31
    [link] [comments]

    How long between verbal and written offers?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 06:58 PM PDT

    How long has it typically taken you to get a written offer after getting a verbal offer?

    submitted by /u/saywhaaaaaatt
    [link] [comments]

    How much more should I ask for with a Top Secret clearance?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 10:43 AM PDT

    I'm trying to see if it's worth it to wait for it. I'm tired of doing BS jobs while I wait for it to come in and I feel like I'm becoming dumber every day. But since the wait times are so long, it seems like employers are desperate for anyone that has a Top Secret.

    How much more $$ should I expect while having a Top Secret clearance? How much more would you ask for?

    submitted by /u/bizzbuzz-lalala
    [link] [comments]

    Asked to travel again after long trip(and asking for less travel)

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 02:18 PM PDT

    So I have to travel for work. I develop software for custom factory automation systems. I knew this job had travel, but it started at a reasonable amount, as described to me, and is now double of what I was told. I also have a child now and simply don't want to travel.

    I just got back from a 6 week trip(family came with me) and told my boss I need to be home for a while and in general want to to travel less if not transition into a role where I don't travel at all or very little. Surprise, a week later I'm asked to go for another month then we can consider staying in the office more.

    Regardless, I am being asked to travel for another month and I don't want to and I'm willing to quit over it. Obviously being without income is not ideal so I am trying to keep this job long enough until I can get another one. I plan on bringing up some "personal issues" that wont allow me to travel for in hopes I can stay home without saying flat out "NO" to my boss. There is also the possibility where I am honest and say I am not willing to do this because of how it will effect my family and I need to transition to the new role asap. My boss already knows I'm unhappy with travel, but he has bosses that tell him what to do as well.

    Any tips?

    Edit: I should have said I am looking furiously for a new job and no matter what I will not be traveling and leave this job soon. My real question is how can I prolong my current employment until I find a new job even though I am not willing to do what is asked of me.

    submitted by /u/toastingz
    [link] [comments]

    Lead sucks at delegating tasks to intern - intern is coming to me for tasks

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 01:32 PM PDT

    Right now I'm working a job one year out of college that I've exhausted all learning opportunities (which weren't that many). Im constantly exhausted since I'm trying to fill gaps in my resume outside of work through online classes and personal projects and I'm getting 0 call backs since I probably don't know enough. I've followed resume advice from this sub and CTCI so I probably just don't have impressive enough side projects. I'm not learning anything anymore and the things I did learn, I had no mentorship.

    My lead honestly sucks at delegating tasks even for myself and there's probably not enough work for us to even be doing. The new intern in my team is coming to me asking for work since they've literally been doing nothing all day and my lead probably told them to go to me. I barely have enough work to send over for the intern to do.

    What do I do? I feel bad for the intern because I've had shitty internships where I literally did nothing, but I have no real work to give him. I can think of work that I've already done that I guess I can make him try recreating himself or just come up with random ideas for the intern to do. Pls help.

    submitted by /u/0ne-day-will-be-betr
    [link] [comments]

    Getting back into the industry after a couple of years?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 04:55 PM PDT

    I have been unemployed for the past 2.5 years and am looking for a job in the industry again after way too much time passed me by.

    Some background: I am 20 years old and have been programming since I was 10. I started with web development and also started PHP and Java when I was around 12, also moving in to database work, Python, Ruby, C++, etc. when I was 15. I graduated high school in January 2015 and got a full-stack website developer position within a week for a local company in a medium-sized city in Washington state.

    At the company, I was the sole developer and sysadmin of a SaaS used by hundreds of institutions. It was a PHP backend mainly written in Kohana, although I primarily have experience with Laravel and Symfony. I fixed hundreds of bugs over the course of two months and was often the one conversing with clients.

    After the two months I got a raise to $10/hr and started working on a client's billing and financial portals, written in Laravel and AngularJS, and integrated with enterprisey solutions like Microsoft Dynamics CRM. I was responsible for the backend and the architecture of the frontend. These projects made it to production as I was also the sysadmin for these.

    In July 2015 I was moved to a contracting position billing at $30/hr. I was the lead developer of a rewrite of the SaaS to bring it into modern times: splitting up the monolithic design into microservices, redoing the frontend from templated PHP to Angular and Sass, creating a proper REST API with an oauth server for clients, etc. The project moved smoothly up until around September, when it was stalled on the design employee's work. From this point on I finished work on the backend and lapses in payment started occurring. By December 2015 invoices were unpaid that were months old, so I ceased the contract.

    In January 2016 I moved with my family a little closer to town. I lost track of time and before I knew it, it was March 2018. During that time I worked on a lot of personal projects. I would say that I'm most proficient in PHP and Python on the backend, Angular, Vue, and React on frontend, and to a lesser degree Java and Ruby. Although not very directly applicable to the industry right now, I'm very well versed in Rust.

    I maintain around 90 repositories on GitHub, including projects written in TypeScript, Python, Java, PHP, and lots of Rust. For my largest projects, I have written and now maintain a widely-used bot framework for a messaging platform, along with a service with millions of users. I have spent the past two years writing these projects on GitHub, and I now have a decent number of libraries on crates.io (Rust package repository) that are commonly used. I feel that I'm in a much better place now in terms of skill and experience than I was two years ago.

    Between early 2016 and now I came out as transgender to my friends and as who I am online. Everything about me online - except my resume and professional sites - states my preferred name. I have been applying under my legal name and have my legal name listed on sites like angel and glassdoor. This does mean, however, that my GitHub account and all of my projects use my preferred name, which I've been linking in my resume.

    In March 2018, I applied to around 50 entry level and junior positions in Seattle that I met the requirements for (sans education) and did not receive a reply from a company. In April I applied to a local larger company and landed an interview for a junior frontend/full-stack position. The first interview was a series of quizzes, from loops, what Object.apply does, to working with binary trees. I did well with the interview and moved on to a second interview. It was a paired programming interview to write a simple game in React. This interview also went well and I moved on to a third in-person interview. This interview spanned the full work day, and consisted of a paired programming session on writing a client to interact with their API, lunch with three of the developers, a 1.5-hour interview panel by three other developers, and a 10 minute conversation with the development manager. The day went well overall: the paired programming interview was fast, we talked a lot about my experience with technologies that the company doesn't use at lunch that they were interested in, and I answered questions above and beyond during the panel interview.

    In the end I did not get the job. When talking with the manager, I lowballed my expected salary range, stating $50K/year considering my lack of experience for the past couple of years. The manager stated that junior positions at the company start at $65K. I have been unsure where I went wrong with this interview, as I was denied.

    In early May I went on vacation and started applying to jobs again in late May. I applied to around 30 junior/entry positions varying from full-stack, frontend, and backend, in Spokane and Seattle and again heard nothing back. I am currently looking for positions in Vancouver, BC due to circumstances with my SO. I have applied to 15 positions there so far and have, again, heard back from none. My SO who's also a programmer and is a foreigner has been getting replies in Vancouver. These companies that they're applying to are the same type of companies that I have applied to.

    I'm now at a point where I'm not sure what to do. Is it the 2.5 year gap in my resume? Is it the situation around my name? Any advice would be great.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/cscqthrowaway180618
    [link] [comments]

    Having some issues with development team hierarchy

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 01:07 PM PDT

    Posting on a throwaway, just in case!

    First things first, a bit of backstory; I started working at a new company just under a year ago. I was surprised to find that they wanted to give me the role of "Lead Developer". I'd been "Senior Developer" for a while at the last place I'd worked and felt like I was still making progress within that role, and had, as always, a ton more to learn. I didn't challenge this decision though, because I actually wanted that opportunity to lead, and felt it'd be a great move for my career in general to be thrust into that position.

    I started the role and found that there was in fact another "Lead Developer", though at the time they were really the Lead "Lead Developer" - I was only "Lead Developer" by title, it was more of way of measuring technical ability it turned out. I didn't have a problem with this really, although I did wonder how that would look moving on from this place in the future. If it stayed this way I wouldn't exactly have a chance to lead, so how could I really say I was ever a "Lead Developer"?

    Fast forward about 6 or 7 months, and this Lead Lead Developer is leaving, I'm taking on his responsibilities, and people are beginning to come to me as the Lead Lead Developer. This is great for me, and I feel like I'm handling it okay, people seem to like what I'm doing and how I'm doing it, the team seems to like me, all is well. I was to be the only Lead Developer on the team at this point, with people of varying abilities working with me in the team.

    About a month later, we get another new hire... another "Lead Developer". This time though it's not like when I joined. I've still not been there a huge amount of time, especially compared to the previous Lead Developer, and it doesn't take that long to get up to speed really. The team is small, and had only gotten smaller overall, so the need for 2 leaders isn't really there at all.

    The problems really arise when I realise that both myself and this new Lead Developer actually want to lead. Right now, people still come to me as the Lead Developer, but in terms of development, I know that this newer hire doesn't want to see me as a Lead Developer, he wants to be the Lead Developer. He's got more years of experience, and is used to being in that position. He challenges me more than anyone else does on the team about decisions I want to make; fair enough, I can learn from someone with more experience, but he also doesn't speak to me about changes he makes.

    I've worked hard to steer the team in a unified direction, refactoring things to be more consistent, and he's trying to head off in other directions without talking to anyone about it. Whenever I refactor major things, etc. I'll talk to my team about it and get their opinions and make sure it also seems sensible to them. Yet, because he's titled Lead Developer, it seems he feels he doesn't need to talk to anyone about anything he does.

    I've come to talk to him about something and found him working on something completely unrelated to what he should be working on (not work I set, mind you, but I know what he should be working on nonetheless), and asked him about it, and he's been extremely defensive and evasive. Again, because we both have this same title, and he wants to Lead, it seems at least that he doesn't feel like he needs to "answer to me", so to speak (not that I expect to be his boss, if anything, it'd be good to just be able to work together!)

    My boss (who is also his boss) has spoken to me about it, unprompted, closer to when this new hire started and said that he would clarify the hierarchy and make it clear that I was supposed to be "on top". In reality, I don't care so much about being "on top", I just want to be able to work without this hassle, and the dragging in multiple directions - without everything just being more difficult than it should be.

    At this point I should also point out I've spoken to the guy about a few things. One thing he has a habit of doing is interrupting me. It was crazy when I started, someone would come and ask me a question, he'd pop up behind me, and after I'd start talking he'd start trying to answer their question over the top of me!? I said to him in this conversation that I want to be able to work together with him, but at this point I just don't see it working that way. We just don't seem to gel well.

    The problem that I have is that I don't really know how to approach this situation. Do I hope that I continue to be seen as the Lead Lead and hope this other guy quits because he doesn't get the chance to lead properly? Do I quit and find somewhere where the structure is clearer? Is this common? Should I try talk to him again now? If I talk to my boss I don't even know how to approach it without it seeming like I just have a huge ego and want to be seen as the top dog (not the case though!)

    Any help/advice would be appreciated. I am probably quite young to be in the position I am in, and I am not very experienced in this position, so I'm just trying to do things right, but didn't expect to have this confusion thrown in the way...

    submitted by /u/ASecretDeveloper
    [link] [comments]

    What should I expect on my first day at the job?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 09:44 AM PDT

    As a recent graduate backend golang guy.

    submitted by /u/Baceks
    [link] [comments]

    How do you feel about take home programming tests and the time investment?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 08:14 PM PDT

    Title says it all.

    I have been on the entry level SWE hunt for the past few months like so many others on this sub. I've had 5 programming tests up to this point ranging in difficulty and time commitment. A couple only took 1-2 hours while 3 of them took me collectively ~15-20 hours of my time (each). Now I don't consider myself a terrible programmer but I tend to take my time and might just be a slow coder. I am certainly in that bracket of candidates that bends over backwards to get to the next step. I can't help but feel like I'm contributing to raising the bar of expectations for our interviewing processes.

    What are your thoughts on how long some of these take? Is there a certain point where you will just say no if it will be too time consuming?

    submitted by /u/httpsilly
    [link] [comments]

    Leave non-paid internship at startup for decently paid Intructor job?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 08:01 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    First off, I apologize if this is belongs in r/csMajors. I have also just finished my first year in cs.

    I started my internship(non-paid) around a week ago but I'll be leaving on July 16th for an Instructor(teaching job) at another company, only upside is pay. I really do like the work I do and I'm learning a alot! I've been working with C# and some Java for mobile dev. Now my boss(CEO) is a really chill dude and helps me out when I'm having a hard time with something. Though sometimes its a lot of work and I feel like I have no idea how to begin, I really like the work once I get the hang of it. I tend to stay longer than I need to so I can do more work because I enjoy it, plus its better then just going home and doing nothing. My 'new' job that would start in July would be apx $17.5/h, but I would be teaching kids and I dont really enjoy that anymore. Plus the instructor job requires me to do a lot of boring work that I'm not looking forward to.

    What do you guys think would be the best option for me? I dont think that money is too tight in my family.

    submitted by /u/cs-failure
    [link] [comments]

    Can I still have a decent software engineering career in a lower CoL area (US)?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 12:24 PM PDT

    When reading blogs, articles, and subreddits like this, one, it certainly seems like the only way to have a growing, fulfilling, and lucrative software engineering career is if you move to the "tech hubs" of either the SF Bay Area, Seattle, or NYC and their astronomical costs of living. Any place other than these is treated as a form of "career suicide" and should be avoided if at all possible. Is there any truth to this concept? I would prefer to work in a city where I can easily afford a house that is less than 3 times my income. Based on my analysis, this would include places like Columbus, OH, Atlanta, GA, Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX, Houston, TX, Raleigh/RTP, NC, Charlotte, NC, St. Louis, MO, San Antonio, TX, Kansas City, MO, Omaha, NE, or Des Moines, IA.

     

    Background: I'm a 28-year-old software engineer in the Sacramento, CA area, with 8 years of IT experience, the last 6 in software development, most of that in health insurance and Java/Spring. I make $97,000 a year, but feel like I've plateaued at my current employer. My wife stays home with our < 1 year old kid, and that probably won't change for some time. On my salary, we can't even afford the down payment for a small starter home in a less-desirable neighborhood, even though we have below-market rent, zero debt, $30,000 in savings/emergency fund, and add at least $1500 to that each month.

     

    I could get a higher-paying job in the SF Bay Area and have a 2/3-hour commute each way, and maybe afford a house then. But I would prefer to not spend 4-6 hours a day just commuting, and honestly we just don't want to live in Sacramento forever. The next-best "tech hub" would be Seattle, but as much as I like the area, it's still too expensive. My goal is to relocate to an area where I can have a salary no less than what I have now, but with the cost of living low enough that I could buy a single-family starter home for $150k-200k. However, would doing so be sacrificing future career growth for a lifestyle boost now? Is it better to tough it out renting until I'm almost 40 and then relocate when I can afford a pay cut?

    submitted by /u/crankycatguy
    [link] [comments]

    USC or UCSD for CS Undergrad

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 07:49 PM PDT

    I got accepted to both as a junior transfer student and tuition at both is covered the only thing I would have to pay for is housing. I'm very undecided and wanted some opinions from you guys on what would be best for my career.

    submitted by /u/WillyRuthless
    [link] [comments]

    For those that have found themselves unemployed, how long did it take you to find a new software engineering position?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 07:07 AM PDT

    Got laid off last week along with most of my team. I've been at this same job for 4.5 years. Outside of conducting interviews for new people, I am way out of practice for being the interviewee. I have a ton of material to review that I haven't thought about since college. Mostly tree stuff really

    I'm afraid to reach out to companies linkedin and the like because I don't want them to schedule interviews with me until I've had time to prepare. Though i'm also worried about getting interviews in the first place. I had people reach out to me on linkedin a lot over the years, but I enjoyed my position so I've always refused. I'm just hoping I can reach out to those types now and get some kind of response....

    My old company is paying me and keeping up my benefits until the end of August. From your experience, should I be settling in for the long haul here and expect to be unemployed and eating my own insurance costs for a while...or could I be back in a job before the end of the summer if I really try?

    I live in the new york city area, but i'm prepared to move out west if thats what it takes

    submitted by /u/rafikiknowsdeway1
    [link] [comments]

    Best ways to get an internship for next year?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 07:27 PM PDT

    Hi all. I'm a computer science premajor at my university, I need two more classes before I can apply to get into the major and I expect to graduate in Spring 2020. I already have a general associates degree (but I've realized its worth nothing). I tried securing an internship/job for this summer but things kept falling short. It's pretty discouraging. I've applied to a lot of places but only ever heard back from about 4 or 5 people. Only one of which I was able to make it to the interview process.

    Right now my biggest project is this website and I need to update my online portfolio (current one is outdated and garbage looking). I'm constantly tweaking my resume and always trying to make it look nice with a clean UX/UI feel that isn't just times new roman, black and white/boring to look at. What should I be doing over the summer so I can have a strong application when internships open up again in Fall? What is it that recruiters and HR looks for when judging a comp sci student for an internship?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/brystephor
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about internships.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 07:22 PM PDT

    Hello Reddit. I'm a 22 years old and going into my second year of studying computer science at Brigham Young University. This summer I'm looking for ways to make money and increase my coding knowledge. I'm interested in programming and robotics and I'm looking for a kind of internship that will give me both experience and money for my next year. I have two problems. 1 - I don't really know where to look. 2 - I don't know that I have enough experience. I'm currently enrolled in the Google Android Development Nano-degree. I wanted to finish it last year so that I could get a job doing Android programming this summer, but I was super busy with classes and didn't have time to finish. I'm about half way done. I know a fair bit about Android programming. I've also done web programming. 5 years ago I programmed a website that price matched against Wal-Mart. The website isn't up anymore, but here is a video of what it was: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4XXW4c6j-g". I've taken a whole year of CS classes at BYU, I'm familiar with Data Structures and that kind of thing. So, I just wanted to ask the community what they thought. Do you think I have enough experience to make some money this summer? What are some opportunities I should be looking out for? I appreciate any advice :)

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ObscuredByClouds95
    [link] [comments]

    Input with working at LinkedIn vs Square vs Shopify for an internship.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 07:20 PM PDT

    Hi, there! I'm lucky enough to be able to have the opportunity to work for all three of these companies for an engineering internship in the Fall of 2018. I'm wondering if anybody has any input on the companies like opportunity for growth, relevancy of work, as well as maybe even brand name in the tech industry.

    I'd love to be able to choose the company that will help me in the long run but I'm unclear which one would be the best.

    To add some context, I'd be doing software engineering at Square and Shopify and UI engineering at LinkedIn.

    Any input would be really helpful.

    submitted by /u/ieatfries
    [link] [comments]

    My current engineering manager is leaving our company and I am in shock and not sure how to process...

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 08:02 AM PDT

    So my manager has been at our company for many years. He is leaving next week.

    Not to sound dramatic but I am pretty devastated because he was such a standup guy and very friendly and very fair. We go out for lunch together. We shoot the shit about sports. He gives me lots of engineering / career advice...

    My fear is some new guy comes in who's a complete stickler for rules, or someone who is an asshole manager, etc.

    I've been in this career for about 4 years and I've never had a manager that I looked up to and knew had my back like this one. All the other managers were either friendly but provided no guidance, managed 30+ people so I never had really any direct communication with him, etc

    I am honestly thinking of leaving my company and following him to his new company because they're hiring as well. I even told him once like 3 weeks ago if he were to leave I'd consider following him.

    submitted by /u/cscareer-throwaway69
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment