• Breaking News

    Monday, June 18, 2018

    I researched the market share of game engines on Steam, from over 60,000 Steam games.

    I researched the market share of game engines on Steam, from over 60,000 Steam games.


    I researched the market share of game engines on Steam, from over 60,000 Steam games.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 11:54 AM PDT

    I got tired of people arguing back and forth over the popularity of game engines like Unity and Unreal, and I can't find any existing data about this, so I made a script to help me research all the notable* Steam games, and made a graph out of my findings.

    *Notable means that the game has a Wikipedia page AND someone has written down the game engine into the infobox of that Wikipedia page.

    Links

    LINK: Graph of game engine market share

    LINK: Raw excel document

    LINK: Github source code

    TL;DR

    • A shitton of games on Steam aren't notable. Around 55k out of the 62k that I researched either didn't have Wikipedia pages, or didn't have the game engine info.
    • Most popular game engines, in order from most to least, is Unreal (23%), Unity (11%), id Tech (6%) (might not be sure on this one), Source (4%), CryEngine (3%).
    • Others engines are 53%, including Fox, GameMaker (1%), Frostbite (2%), etc.
    • This was quite surprising to me, as most people I've met said that Unity is the most popular. I'm sure it's the most popular for mobile, but desktop games are what I'm curious about.
    • This includes all genres: VR, 3D, 2D, etc. I can't find a way to filter the Steam apps based on genre efficiently.

    Disclaimer

    I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this data. There were simply too many games with unknown engines, corrupted data due to the game engine infobox having extra data, and searching one game's name returning another, more popular game's Wikipedia page. Also AAA companies might put out more Steam apps for a single game than small developers, which might skew the data. I invite you to take a look at the source code and raw excel document, make modifications and draw your own conclusions!

    How it was done

    1. A script downloads all public Steam apps.
    2. For each Steam app:
      1. Search Wikipedia for "<GAME NAME> video game". If not found, put down as "Unknown".
      2. Search the page for the game engine infobox. If not found, put down as "Unknown".
      3. If found, store the game engine name.
    3. Once the data is collected:
      1. Discard all Unknown engines, as they're all "not notable". (Don't be offended; I'm sure some might be notable, but I'm not about to do a Google search for all 55k games.)
      2. Realize that a lot of game engines have names like "Unity (game engine)" or "unity]] (Remake".
      3. Search the engines that contain the words "Unity", "Unreal", "GameMaker" etc. for the most popular engines I can think of.
      4. Put all the other engines into "Other".
    submitted by /u/limdingwen
    [link] [comments]

    Timelapse video of how I make 2d graphic assets for game prototyping.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 06:12 PM PDT

    Looking for freelancers or want to get hired to work as one? Miss the Unity Jobs Board? You might like gamejobforum.com

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 01:32 AM PDT

    Hi folks,

    I've been working on a Unity project for a while and became frustrated at how difficult it was to hire contractors, particularly for smaller jobs.

    I used to love browsing through the Unity Jobs forum whilst in pre-production, and seeing the awesome creations that freelancers had worked on and posted as part of their portfolios there. Unfortunately, Unity shut that forum down in late 2017.

    I tried some other alternatives, like the gamedevclassifieds subreddit and Upwork, but still wasn't completely satisfied.

    So, with the help of some testers from the Unity forum, I decided to take matters into my own hands, and create a website designed specifically for game job freelancing:

    gamejobforum.com !

    Here's why I think Game Job Forum is the best solution out there for game job offerers and job seekers working on smaller tasks: ($100-$2000)

    • You can embed multiple images, gifs or videos in your thread - see an job seeker's portfolio at a glance

    • You can bump your own thread to indicate availability - unlike Reddit which requires a totally new thread

    • The forum is divided into Job Offering, Job Seeking, and non-Commercial collaboration. This helps declutter the forum

    • [PAID][ONGOING][REVSHARE][FREE][CLOSED] thread prefixes, plus Unity and Unreal thread icons

    • Rules and suggested post Templates for each subforum

    • Not limited to one game engine

    • No commissions

    Here's what Game Job Forum is missing:

    • you!

    The site is off to a solid start after a few days in operation, with some great feedback from freelancers on its functionality. Job posts are getting hundreds of views and freelancers are finding jobs from their own posts.

    Its entirely non-commercial and run as a service to the Indie gamedev community.

    I'd recommend checking it out. I'm happy to take any feedback in the comments section here as well :-)

    Thanks for viewing and good luck for your projects!

    submitted by /u/Richard_Earl
    [link] [comments]

    16 Indie-Friendly Indie Game Publishers

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 06:16 AM PDT

    Last year I shared a blog on 11 Places to Publish Your Indie Game. Now I've put together a new article listing 16 Indie-Friendly Indie Game Publishers for those thinking of exploring this route as an option!

    I'm a game music composer and am a great supporter of indie games - having worked on many and also just being amazed frequently by the creativity out there and what can be made possible! So, if you aren't aware of my blog already, my aim is to offer a mix of interesting and useful articles for the gamedev / indiedev community. This article is the latest one.

    Note: I have no affiliation to any of the sites/publishers listed. I don't get anything for mentioning them or anything like that. I've also not had personal experience with any either so can't recommend any specifically. It's just a set of publishers I've come across that I hope some may find useful to be aware of and that seem good for the indiedev world! :-)

    Main blog homepage for those wanting to read more: ninichimusic.com/ninichi-blog

    submitted by /u/Ninichimusic
    [link] [comments]

    CS50 Game Dev on edx starting July 1 2018

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 11:22 AM PDT

    https://www.edx.org/course/cs50s-introduction-to-game-design-and-development

    this course

    https://cs50.github.io/games/lectures

    which was offered at Harvard University's Extension School will be offered on EDX starting July 1 2018

    as with most edx courses the certificate is not really worth it, but having access to discussion forums and assignments makes the edx version fun and interesting IMO

    the course covers LUA and Love2d but moves onto C# and Unity towards the end

    submitted by /u/create_a_new-account
    [link] [comments]

    Armory Game Engine Tutorial Series

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 08:03 AM PDT

    Designing the combat spell combos in Wizard of Legend

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 09:37 AM PDT

    I have a wife, a kid, a mortgage, and run an indie studio from my garage. Here's a little Q&A I did about it!

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 05:57 AM PDT

    What do you guys think about my first ever game! Please try it out and let me know some suggestions!

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 10:17 AM PDT

    Tips and Tricks on Material Production in Substance Designer

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 09:04 AM PDT

    Why have most engines settled on FP32 for world-space coordinates?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 07:12 AM PDT

    Hey all, so to preface I'm an absolute novice when it comes to coding and really just getting my feet wet, but I'm also curious as to the hows and whys of design decisions taken. One of the more common answers I see to the inevitable "how do I create a huge MMO / Skyrim / Fallout-like game" on forums, is that the upper bounds for level size for game engines simply do not allow that kind of scale out of the box, and the only way to do so is through careful use of streaming volumes and world origin shifting.

    Looking into it, I see that almost all the popular game engines (IIRC Unity, Unreal, Cryengine, Godot) use 32-bit floating-point arithmetic for world-space coordinates, and I guess I'm just curious as to why that has become an informal standard? Are there steep performance penalties associated with switching to integer or double precision? Is it just a cost / benefit thing given so few people would be able to make use of increased precision?

    submitted by /u/FAULTSFAULTSFAULTS
    [link] [comments]

    Think Fair Use Protects you? Think Again…

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 12:01 PM PDT

    Does anyone else get super discouraged when they hear so many horrible things said about game development in general?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 07:25 PM PDT

    I'm quite familiar with the gaming industry and its problems. But when I see entire forum threads filled with people advising against entering the video game industry it is quite disappointing. How the overwhelming majority of money goes to the very top of development studios, crunch time, poor employee treatment and manipulation, poor game reception, allegedly difficult to enter long term employment, publisher bullshit, etc.

    I'm not even really interested in becoming a game developer as a career. More as a side passion. But all the same all these comments paint a very toxic picture.

    submitted by /u/Openworldgamer47
    [link] [comments]

    Can I replicate a game to use it for my portfolio?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 10:28 AM PDT

    Im think of starting a summer project in which I replicate a card game (YuGiOh, to be more exact). Im not intending to use it in any commercial way, but I;d like to upload it on GitHub. Is it legal and could I use it as a project for my CV?

    submitted by /u/ajecc
    [link] [comments]

    What I’ve learned implementing a simple blocks game

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 08:48 AM PDT

    Pack of Laser Beams customizable for FPS and TPS.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 11:58 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, recently published the "Unique Laser Volume 1", which contains a pack of laser beams that can be customized for First-Person or Third-Person view.

    You can watch the showcase here.

    Any C&C is welcome, thank you.

    submitted by /u/Gabz101
    [link] [comments]

    Using Unity ECS to implement mouse-based player rotation

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 11:28 AM PDT

    Unity Smooth Camera Movement Tutorial

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 11:28 AM PDT

    Source for Rigged meshes

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 10:55 AM PDT

    Hi

    Looking for a good online source for quality rigged models, and rigged with animation. Downloaded a couple freebies from renderpeople.com Quality meshes but their animations are limited. Any others?

    submitted by /u/eco_bach
    [link] [comments]

    I feel like I'm hopping from one project to another without any motivation to finish them.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 05:56 AM PDT

    I'm handling every aspect of projects as a solo dev. That means I spend a lot of time doing stuff I know I'm bad at(art and animation) and end up unhappy with the result. Recently, I made a bunch of unfinished projects that I quit midway because of one or more of these reasons:

    1. I lose interest in the project. This I the most common scenario for me.

    2. The remaining parts are beyond my technical level. This happened when I made an endless runner which was fun to play but I couldn't figure out how to procedurally set up obstacles while ensuring that the game is beatable and fun at the same time.

    3. Unsure about how to improve the current prototype. Also happened during my endless runner prototype. I added coins, obstacles and other things but I just didn't know what to add next.

    4. Be stuck for days in order to find a perfect approach for coding some in game system. This happened in my last RPG project where I couldn't figure out a clean way to implement leveling systems and stat gains on level up. Individualy, they are trivial to code but connecting everything together makes my brain melt.

    5. I open my project one day, realize how crappy my placeholder art and animation is and end up giving up on the project immediately.

    6. Get an idea for a similar project that seems cooler. I then spend a day or two refactoring my code so that everything works again. Then I get stuck when I have to implement new stuff and the cycle repeats again. This happened 3 times for my RPG project. I went from a turnbased to a real-time to a hybrid system. I learned a lot on making a battle system but not much else.

    How can I get beyond this? I have read countless motivational posts. But nothing works. I had a month of vacation where I worked on games almost every day but vacations over and I have nothing but 7 incomplete prototypes to show.

    submitted by /u/Krons-sama
    [link] [comments]

    Marketing Monday #226 - Major Improvements

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 08:51 PM PDT

    What is Marketing Monday?

    Post your marketing material like websites, email pitches, trailers, presskits, promotional images etc., and get feedback from and give feedback to other devs.

    RULES

    • Do NOT try to promote your game to game devs here, we are not your audience. This is only for feedback and improvement.

    • Clearly state what you want feedback on otherwise your post may be removed. (Do not just dump Kickstarter or trailer links)

    • If you post something, try to leave some feedback on somebody else's post. It's good manners.

    • If you do post some feedback, try to make sure it's good feedback: make sure it has the what ("The logo sucks...") and the why ("...because it's hard to read on most backgrounds").

    • A very wide spectrum of items can be posted here, but try to limit yourself to one or two important items in your post to prevent it from being cluttered up.

    • Promote good feedback, and upvote those who do! Also, don't forget to thank the people who took some of their time to write some feedback for you, even if you don't agree with it.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    All Previous Marketing Mondays

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Any good resources to help educate those running an indie studio or project (something easy to digest like an infographic)?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 08:28 AM PDT

    I would love if there was a simple image or something I could point people too. Something like this but a little more targeted towards freelance positions and less detailed, very easy to read.

    The rest of this is a bit of a rant.

    I have been a freelance gamedev programmer for a little over three years and I have to say the vast majority of my wasted time is from people who have no idea what different individuals can do. This happens after I make quotes and even after I have been working with someone for a while.

    They are suddenly upset their programmer cannot make some custom models for the new system. Or they get mad when I quote for implementing something and what they actually meant was design the entire system, code it, integrate it with everything they have so they can use it in the scripting language, test it for balance and fun, write detailed requirements for everything needed to complete the system, create and integrate the User Interface elements, etc.

    This is why I don't do fixed price work either, only hourly.

    Long relevant story below:

    I'm mostly a C++ programmer in UE4 and that is what I advertise myself as. I will apply to work or respond to requests for any programming or anything IN UE4.

    Someone recently requested some work as a level designer/fixer and help with making trailers in UE4. They knew I was a programmer and I reminded them of this. I have done quite a bit of level building, design, post processing setup, shaders, and knew how to do recording in UE4 so this was something I could do and would enjoy.

    The client even had detailed storyboards for the videos so I thought it was awesome to have real requirements. I wrote up a big detailed quote. I also asked them about a comment they had in a storyboard where they said they didn't know what kind of trees they wanted in that scene.

    I asked, "Do you have a selection of tree models or know what you want at this time?"

    They responded asking me to send some samples of 3D modeling I had done and telling me that making the tree models that would work with snow effects and wind was part of the work. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

    I just wasted a whole bunch of time talking to someone and making a quote to have them ask me, a programmer, to build models.

    submitted by /u/Burnrate
    [link] [comments]

    How to create my dream game: build a team from scratch or pitch to a studio...

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 08:16 AM PDT

    Hey guys!

    I, like many of you, have an idea for a tremendous game. I have started teaching myself Unity and while it should give me a working concept, it will never have the polish I want unless I get help from experienced people in the industry. I was wondering if anyone is/has been in this situation and if they have any advice or life experience they can share on building a team from scratch. I would love to be a Narrative Designer for a studio someday, but until then I'm going to have to take a Creative Director approach to build my own game.

    • If I find an art style I like, how much concept art should I have for animators and modelers to work off of?
    • Should I even worry about building a rough version of the game? Surely we will start from scratch even if we use the same engine.
    • How much synergy am I realistically looking at to complete the game? Will I be able to take the work from individuals and apply it to the final product or should I think about office space?
    • Does anyone have any legal advice or pitfalls I should know before I get started?

    OR should I simply find a studio that has made a game similar to what my vision is and hope they want to get involved. And in that situation, what part of the team will I realistically play if they do decide to make my game?

    Thanks for any and all advice!

    submitted by /u/Kupo43
    [link] [comments]

    Composer For Media Looking For Work! Take A Look Around And Give Me A Shout!

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 08:00 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment