• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 17, 2018

    I make orchestral/ electronic music and finished some songs and seamless loops that I'm giving away free with a Creative Commons attribution license. Feel free to use them in your work!

    I make orchestral/ electronic music and finished some songs and seamless loops that I'm giving away free with a Creative Commons attribution license. Feel free to use them in your work!


    I make orchestral/ electronic music and finished some songs and seamless loops that I'm giving away free with a Creative Commons attribution license. Feel free to use them in your work!

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 05:20 AM PDT

    Hi /r/gamedev, I make music that I'm giving away for free under a Creative Commons attribution license. Feel free to use them however you like! All of the Soundcloud links have downloadable wav files, if anything runs out of available downloads let me know and I can post mediafire links as well.

    Organic to Synthetic - Youtube - Soundcloud - Spotify

    Omni - Youtube - Soundcloud - Spotify

    Oppressive Ambiance - Youtube - Soundcloud - Spotify

    Destabilized - Youtube - Soundcloud

    By Force - Youtube - Soundcloud - Spotify

    You can also check out my youtube/soundcloud/spotify for more.

    I also made some seamless loops and clips if you'd like- the loops come in groups that have similar styles/ beats per minute so you can cycle between them more easily.

    Loops:

    Clips:

    submitted by /u/PunchDeck
    [link] [comments]

    The look of your game MATTERS

    Posted: 16 Jun 2018 03:14 PM PDT

    I was scanning through that thread about "great games that didn't sell well," and I noticed a common trend that I think a lot of indie devs seem to miss. The way your game looks is very important to sell it. Too many of those "great games with no sales" were unappealing at first glance because the animations or art style sucked, or the style was too similar to a popular counterpart to the point where it didn't look unique enough.

    This might be obvious to some of you, but I like scanning through the new section of this sub and /r/indiegames and a lot of otherwise promising games that people are promoting just look like dogshit, to put it lightly. Of course a lot of these are taken during development and the art is likely to be filler or less refined than the final product, but even a lot of "completed" games just do not look visually interesting. Inconsistent art styles between the background and the characters, terrible font choices, obviously generic textures from random royalty free packs online, etc, etc.

    The first thing anybody sees about your game is the art and the animations - not the cool gameplay mechanics that you're proud of.

    submitted by /u/MILK_ME_BROTHA
    [link] [comments]

    Before I go writing something long..

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 07:39 AM PDT

    I wanted to ask if this would even be helpful to folks.

    I've worked in the game industry as an artist for about 13 years at larger companies in various lead and director positions. I then left my last studio job to work on Welcome to the Game II with Reflect studios as a co-developer creating art and other content.

    I've since started my own project (which I've shared some of here)

    My idea was to write a breakdown of how I apply what I've learned over the years to my process on my project and how it differs from some indie projects I've been a part of. Basically just applying some of the methods that I've experienced on different project that I feel work in an indie space. (At least for me)

    TL;DR - I've been at larger game studios for about 13 years. Am now an indie dev and was wondering if sharing some of the processes I've learned over the years would be helpful before I go writing something.

    submitted by /u/DarkStoneDigital
    [link] [comments]

    About a year of work on and off but here's the first preview trailer for my game - let me know your thoughts!

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 10:49 AM PDT

    Does anyone else just forget how their projects work?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2018 11:56 AM PDT

    Sometimes I need to spend hours looking and inspecting my code on an attempt to understand how the hell it works. I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but it's a pretty common thing to me.

    submitted by /u/Marrrkuz
    [link] [comments]

    Let's Clone "Pop The Lock" w/ Unity Part-2

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 07:51 AM PDT

    My Lisp Journey #1: Getting Started With trivial-gamekit

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 05:05 AM PDT

    Need music for your game?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 12:02 PM PDT

    Hi, i'm a young amateur producer. Here some stuff i did for a never finished project.

    If you need new music for your game feel free to contact me (mail in Soundcloud profile). c:

    submitted by /u/andrea-sisti
    [link] [comments]

    Total Noob Overwelmed by the Options - Seeking Advice

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 11:16 AM PDT

    Hi all, I'm trying to develop my own 2D RPG-style video game. But I'm new to this and not sure where to start, especially with the different coding languages, game engines, and programs in general floating around the internet.

    Essentially, I want to do the following:

    - create a 2D RPG with a map style similar to old Pokemon games (camera centered on sprite, moving around an enclosed area with "portals/gates/openings" that lead to other parts of the map).

    -design my own sprites, objects, maps, graphics for the game

    I have the following programs on my computer currently: Unity, Visual Studio, GraphicsGale

    Where is the best place to start? Should I focus on just designing the game mechanics and sprites and worry about the actual coding later? If not, should I learn C# or C++, or just work through a game engine like Unity, Game Maker Studio, RPG Maker VX?

    Any advice appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Rallon_Storm
    [link] [comments]

    Best route for game publishing

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 06:14 AM PDT

    I've got a game that I'm working on and I'm trying to figure out if I should go the traditional publisher route or kickstarter. What I'm thinking is maybe doing kickstarter then going to a publisher? Do you think to a publisher the game being on kickstarter will make them less likely to fund it or more likely? I would self publish but I need more money than what I can cough up. I need funds and I'm not sure what's the best step. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/BlackPillCannon
    [link] [comments]

    Any Game Maker Studio users out there? Need help understanding the licensing information. Because their FAQ isn’t very helpful.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 09:54 AM PDT

    I am currently looking to restart a project I was working on in UE4 and go to Game Maker Studio because I've heard it's a great engine. But the UWP License and Xbox One license confuse me. The price of the UWP license is $399 and permanent, and allows someone in the Xbox creators program to publish on Xbox One and Windows 10. But the Xbox One license is $799 and is only a 12 Month license to publish on Xbox One. And their FAQ hasn't been very useful in finding out exactly what is different between them?

    Xbox One $799

    GameMaker Studio 2 Xbox One lets you create console games for Microsoft's Xbox One. For the duration of the licence get unlimited access to all features and resources then release your games to the Xbox One Store.

    Please note that you must be a registered id@xbox developer to purchase this product.

    Unlimited Resources Integrated Source Control Texture Management SWF / Spine Support Extensions YYC to improve your games performance Marketplace Xbox One Export

    UWP $399

    GameMaker Studio 2 UWP lets you create games for Windows and Xbox One. Get unlimited access to all features and resources then release your games to stores such as the Microsoft Store and Xbox One Store.

    Unlimited Resources Integrated Source Control Texture Management SWF / Spine Support Extensions YYC to improve your games performance Marketplace UWP Export

    submitted by /u/Kiplon92
    [link] [comments]

    Check out my first actual game.. Vessel Clash!

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 09:03 AM PDT

    Is the net neutrality repeal really going to affect Canadian Indie Devs that much? How?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 08:43 AM PDT

    I am thinking of going into the business and making a game. I saw an article on Polygon that was saying that it would be bad for Indie Devs but I thought they might be exaggerating. I totally agree that the net neutrality repeal is bullshit but I am just curious to if it will really hurt this corner of the internet. Does any of this matter as I am Canadian? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/123PaperMarioFan123
    [link] [comments]

    Phobos - Episode 1 Gameplay Trailer

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 08:13 AM PDT

    What is the simplest architecture of a matchmaker?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 07:43 AM PDT

    I made a simple udp server for my game which is 1 vs 1 . When the player hit the play button he send his ip address to the server but I don't know how I will continue : Should I pick a random ip and send it back to the player or other thing ... Thank you for any helpful information

    submitted by /u/Gooddles
    [link] [comments]

    Can we talk about the mess that publishing with Steamworks is?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 09:22 AM PDT

    We just submitted our build for review, but I'm still not sure that I fully understand the roles and relationships between packages, applications, depots, builds, branches, etc. I swear we made an honest effort in thoroughly absorving the documentation, but even then doing a small change with the Steamworks developer panel feels like venturing into a jungle and hoping not to get eaten by a lion before reaching the other side. It seems like it would be really easy to make a mistake and publish something you didn't mean to publish.

    Am I the only one or are these tools a gigantic mess?

    submitted by /u/-Mahn
    [link] [comments]

    Unity Visual Scripting Tutorial : FlowCanvas

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 05:37 AM PDT

    Laptops and 3D projects

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 05:24 AM PDT

    Most of my projects are 2D mainly because of the specs of my laptop. What are the minimum specs that can run 3D game making at a stable framerate? I tried UE4 on my laptop and it ran surprisingly well, the only downside were the huge loading times. Haven't tried Unity yet, is it more lightweight than UE4 when it comes to 3D? All help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/VulgarDisplayOf
    [link] [comments]

    Soundtrack Sunday #246 - Jam Time

    Posted: 16 Jun 2018 08:55 PM PDT

    Post music and sounds that you've been working on throughout this week (or last (or whenever, really)). Feel free to give as much constructive feedback as you can, and enjoy yourselves!

    Basic Guidelines:

    • Do not link to a page selling music. We are not your target audience.
    • Do not link to a page selling a game you're working on. We are not your target audience.
    • It is highly recommended that you use SoundCloud to host and share your music.

    As a general rule, if someone takes the time to give feedback on something of yours, it's a nice idea to try to reciprocate.

    If you've never posted here before, then don't sweat it. New composers of any skill level are always welcome!


    Previous Soundtrack Sundays

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling to find guidance for making a web based online game.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 04:05 AM PDT

    I'm not new to making games, but I am 100% new to anything to do with web, servers etc. When I've looked into it before there's always been a lot of different libraries etc. All with their users trying to sell them as "the best".

    What I'd like to make is :

    A browser based online game, that can be logged into with a profile, keeps track of your progress etc. This is aimed at a very small very limited audience, as it's literally a project to learn these new skills and maybe show off on a portfolio.

    What I'm struggling to decide is what tools and packages I actually need to use, or if I should be looking at learning some web programming instead. So I thought I'd come ask the r/gamedev for any potential guidance on what to look at and really any advice for the skills I should look at for this kind of game.

    Currently I can use Unity, Unreal and I know both C++ and C#. It's really just the amount of packages and tools out their thats making it hard to get started. I'm happy to dig into documentation and code to learn to use them

    submitted by /u/ldmfiel
    [link] [comments]

    Do I need to learn opengl/write shaders for this?

    Posted: 16 Jun 2018 08:22 PM PDT

    Hi all. I've started writing a 2-D game with SDL (very early stages, barely prototype), and so far I've been able to get by by representing everything as a bunch of sprites, stored in sdl textures that have coordinates. When I want to add stuff like fancy animations or visual effects, will I be able to do that in software in a performant way, or should I use shaders?

    submitted by /u/Elronnd
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment