• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 17, 2018

    I just wanted to say thanks! One year ago, I started coding, and today, my app has reached 9 999 installs. learn programming

    I just wanted to say thanks! One year ago, I started coding, and today, my app has reached 9 999 installs. learn programming


    I just wanted to say thanks! One year ago, I started coding, and today, my app has reached 9 999 installs.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 07:39 AM PDT

    I want this to be a thank you, and an inspiration to everyone who is still struggling and starting out. It all started with a simple problem: I wanted a shortcut to the windows snipping tool. Now, you can just press Win+Shift+S, but that feature didn't exist yet. I started looking here and discovered autohotkey, which I quickly downloaded and achieved what I wanted. But this got me hooked, and I tried to achieve all kinds of things with it. At some point my friends started making requests, and I discovered that not only coding was fun, but it was really gratifying to write text that other people can then interact with. This made me start learning java to code for android.

    I never thought more than a couple friends would download these apps, yet here we are. When looking at the Google Play console today, I saw this amazing number: 9 999. It's amazing to know that something I did myself is one of the apps so many people gave a shot. The app itself is a rather simple one. It allows you to display pictures and videos, but the phone is locked during that time. It comes in handy when you want to show a group of friends a few memes, but don't want them to go through your whole gallery, or texts. So you select the memes only and share them to my app. Then you lock your phone the usual way and they will appear on top of the lock screen. Play Store Link

    But of course the journey wasn't an easy one. I still remember sitting in my latin class and watching udacity videos with subtitles under my desk. Trying to understand what these 'intents' were and why there are functions if I can fit everything in onCreate(). The first time I made an app 'myself' I copied blocks of code from "how to make a simple weather app" and swapped out one or two lines. And after countless hours of trying, making mistakes that seemed so stupid after solving them and cursing my phone for being so complicated I had a semi-finished product, which I couldn't wait to release. So if you are doubting yourself, or thinking that you can't do this because you don't understand these weird functions and syntaxes, don't give up. This is as complicated as anything else, it just seems easy on the outside. There was no one who just booted up his PC and started coding, every developer once had to learn the basics, and they are still learning. Just give it a shot. Find something that you want to create, and then work your way there. It can take months, but at the end, you haven't just made something. You learned something, something that may come in handy in the future, and something that is marketable when looking for a job. And you can proudly say that you know a bit more how these magical devices work which you use every day. And by the way: They get even more magical after you understand a bit more about them.

    submitted by /u/Somethingweirdhere
    [link] [comments]

    We published more coding courses on YouTube (40+ videos of Python, Ruby, React, & more)

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 03:02 PM PDT

    In a previous post I mentioned we published one of our JavaScript courses on YouTube for free. Today we're adding more to our channel.

    Most of the courses also contains some coding challenges alongside the videos. Enjoy the videos and let me know if you have any questions or feedback! The courses we published on YouTube for free are:

    Learn JavaScript in One Week YouTube Playlist

    Learn Python in One Week

    Learn Ruby in One Week

    Fullstack Web Development - HTML, CSS, jQuery/JS, React, Node.js, MongoDB videos.

    Learn to Build Projects - Build a website, calculator app, and React Todo app.

    *edit: you can view all the courses on Coderbyte.

    submitted by /u/10_6
    [link] [comments]

    Programming projects for advanced beginners: ASCII art

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 01:33 PM PDT

    I've noticed that there aren't many guided resources geared towards Advanced Beginners - programmers who know about functions and arrays and loops, but who don't have as much experience piecing them together into larger programs.

    I've therefore written a guided project on turning images into ASCII art, where the reader is given prompts and guidelines but has to write the code for themselves. It's tested well with some of my friends, and I'd love to know what works and what doesn't for a wider audience. I'll also do my best to help out anyone who gets stuck!

    Best,

    Rob

    submitted by /u/businesstrout
    [link] [comments]

    When should I start learning something new?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 11:45 PM PDT

    Hi, I have been learning JavaScript as well as node for over 2 months and I can build some web apps with it. I was just wondering should I start learning something new e.g. java for android development, or should I improve my node js skills? How should I practice node? Thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/everek123
    [link] [comments]

    Where do I learn HOW to apply OOP?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 11:30 PM PDT

    I know java pretty well, and I think I understand OOP concepts such as encapsulation, inheritance, polymorphism etc but I cannot find one way of actually applying these concepts to an application. Every tutorial I watch consists of somebody creating a class and then moving to the main method to instantiate that object. Well what I'd like to do is make an application that does this automatically like in the real world but I have no idea how and it's driving me nuts. Are there any good tutorials that show you how this can be done via something simple like a console app?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/ClarkTheCoder
    [link] [comments]

    Is grepcode.com down?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 11:20 PM PDT

    I am unable to open grepcode.com from the past 6-7 days. It seems to be down globally.

    Does anybody has any updates as to why is it down? Is it permanently down? Are there any more websites like this holding Hadoop and OpenJDK source codes?

    submitted by /u/prasha2
    [link] [comments]

    I teach for free to program games on Android in Skype. I am looking for more students

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 11:20 PM PDT

    I teach for free to program games on Android in Skype. I am now looking for more students.

    Our tools will be Java, Android Studio and libGDX. We will start with the most basic stuff, make some really simple games like Snakey, then recreate some 2d classics (Tetris, Arkanoid) and move on to 3d games.

    The course aims at beginners. It has a 'teacher-one student' format and is conducted using screensharing in Skype.

    Unlike multiple Youtube tutorials, I don't aim to just show you how to create a map, or a character, or a menu. My aim is to actually try to teach you the basics while making games. I ask my students a lot of questions, give them revision tests and home assignments.

    What you need to have for the course:

    • an Android device (or if you don't have one, you may start the course with an Android emulator)

    • a computer/laptop

    • a Skype account

    • a microphone

    I am available every day 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. GMT.

    A typical session lasts 60 to 90 minutes. Performance-wise, it's best to have 2 sessions per week.

    If you're interested, please contact me in Skype: t0taljava.0rg (PLEASE REPLACE ZEROS WITH 'o')

    If you have questions, please ask them here. I'll do my best to answer them.

    submitted by /u/robozoid
    [link] [comments]

    Show video in second window (UWP C#)

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 11:18 PM PDT

    Hi have an app I'm working on and I want one window to be the controller and the other window to be the video player view (so as to control the video playing from one window I can look at on my laptop while the video plays on a projector).

    Here is my MainPage.xaml.cs:

    using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using System.IO; using System.Linq; using System.Runtime.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime; using Windows.ApplicationModel.Core; using Windows.Foundation; using Windows.Foundation.Collections; using Windows.UI.Core; using Windows.UI.ViewManagement; using Windows.UI.Xaml; using Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls; using Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.Primitives; using Windows.UI.Xaml.Data; using Windows.UI.Xaml.Input; using Windows.UI.Xaml.Media; using Windows.UI.Xaml.Navigation; // The Blank Page item template is documented at https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=402352&clcid=0x409 namespace VideoSamplePlayer { /// <summary> /// An empty page that can be used on its own or navigated to within a Frame. /// </summary> public sealed partial class MainPage : Page { int newViewID = 0; Window VideoPlayerWindow; public MainPage() { this.InitializeComponent(); } private async void Button_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e) { if (newViewID == 0) { var myView = CoreApplication.CreateNewView(); await myView.Dispatcher.RunAsync(CoreDispatcherPriority.Normal, () => { Frame newFrame = new Frame(); newFrame.Navigate(typeof(VideoPlayer), null); Window.Current.Content = newFrame; Window.Current.Activate(); VideoPlayerWindow = Window.Current; newViewID = ApplicationView.GetForCurrentView().Id; }); await ApplicationViewSwitcher.TryShowAsStandaloneAsync(newViewID, ViewSizePreference.UseMinimum); } } } } 

    Here is my MainPage.xaml:

    <Page x:Class="VideoSamplePlayer.MainPage" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml" xmlns:local="using:VideoSamplePlayer" xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/expression/blend/2008" xmlns:mc="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/markup-compatibility/2006" mc:Ignorable="d" Background="{ThemeResource ApplicationPageBackgroundThemeBrush}"> <Grid> <Button Content="Open Video Output" HorizontalAlignment="Center" Margin="0,55,0,0" VerticalAlignment="Top" Height="52" Width="173" Click="Button_Click"/> </Grid> </Page> 

    Here is my VideoPlayer.xaml.cs:

    using System; using System.Collections.Generic; using System.IO; using System.Linq; using System.Runtime.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime; using Windows.Foundation; using Windows.Foundation.Collections; using Windows.Media.Core; using Windows.Storage; using Windows.Storage.Pickers; using Windows.UI.Xaml; using Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls; using Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.Primitives; using Windows.UI.Xaml.Data; using Windows.UI.Xaml.Input; using Windows.UI.Xaml.Media; using Windows.UI.Xaml.Navigation; namespace VideoSamplePlayer { public sealed partial class VideoPlayer : Page { public VideoPlayer() { this.InitializeComponent(); } private async void pickFileButton_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e) { // Create and open the file picker FileOpenPicker openPicker = new FileOpenPicker(); openPicker.ViewMode = PickerViewMode.Thumbnail; openPicker.SuggestedStartLocation = PickerLocationId.VideosLibrary; openPicker.FileTypeFilter.Add(".mp4"); openPicker.FileTypeFilter.Add(".mkv"); openPicker.FileTypeFilter.Add(".avi"); StorageFile file = await openPicker.PickSingleFileAsync(); if (file != null) { mediaPlayerElement.MediaPlayer.Source = MediaSource.CreateFromStorageFile(file); mediaPlayerElement.MediaPlayer.RealTimePlayback = true; mediaPlayerElement.MediaPlayer.Play(); } } } } 

    Here is my VideoPlayer.xaml:

    <Page x:Class="VideoSamplePlayer.VideoPlayer" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation" xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml" xmlns:local="using:VideoSamplePlayer" xmlns:mediacore="using:Windows.Media.Core" xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/expression/blend/2008" xmlns:mc="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/markup-compatibility/2006" mc:Ignorable="d" Background="{ThemeResource ApplicationPageBackgroundThemeBrush}"> <Grid> <StackPanel Orientation = "Vertical" > <StackPanel Orientation="Horizontal"> <Button x:Name="pickFileButton" Content="Pick video" Margin="0,0,0,10" Click="pickFileButton_Click"/> </StackPanel> <MediaPlayerElement x:Name="mediaPlayerElement" AutoPlay="False" Margin="5" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" Height="300" AreTransportControlsEnabled="True"/> </StackPanel> </Grid> </Page> 

    I want to move the file picker button to the MainPage, but still have the video output in the VideoPlayer.

    How can I do this?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/HmmWhatsThat
    [link] [comments]

    What's the difference between make and cmake?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 10:46 PM PDT

    I've been seeing both come up a lot recently, and all the explanations I've found on Google assume knowledge about compiling and building things that I don't have. Could someone please explain it to a beginner?

    Edit: And how do they relate to tools like bazel?

    submitted by /u/MockingBird421
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think about the quick reference guide on Amazon

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 10:45 PM PDT

    Laminated sheets SQL HTML5 and others

    submitted by /u/loakkala
    [link] [comments]

    SVG for web development

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 10:43 PM PDT

    Is it still good to learn SVG for front end dev?

    submitted by /u/arb_oz
    [link] [comments]

    How to avoid compiling all the time?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 10:35 PM PDT

    Do you have any tricks to avoid compiling every time you do a modification? I would like to write more code before trying to compile and test my modification.

    submitted by /u/perecastor
    [link] [comments]

    Algorithm which returns longest subarray where the maximum and minimum is less than or equal to 1?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 10:34 PM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/8DaSfGn.png

    I'm not sure where to begin here and also how the hint might apply, and how to take advantage of the fact that you're given an "almost stable" array

    submitted by /u/BusinessGuitar
    [link] [comments]

    [C++] Alternative to static member variables?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 10:09 PM PDT

    Long story short. I'm using SDL2 and several pieces/classes of my current project need access to the SDL_Renderer, and other pieces of data like the screenWidth and screenHeight. My base game class holds all of that data and I currently have them set up as being static member variables so that the other (texture, player) classes can call on them when needed.

    But is there an alternative to using static member variables for this? I'll never have more than 1 renderer so it doesn't make sense to me to make it static, just so that other classes can call it, surely there has to be a better way. Here is the source code. Inside Engine folder you'll see Gunngine.h / .cpp. That is the base game class, and where these static members are created/defined.

    Code: https://bitbucket.org/CGunn86/gunnngine/src/master/

    submitted by /u/GunnDawg
    [link] [comments]

    Users Schmusers...

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 06:14 PM PDT

    Ok, so I've worked in the software industry for about 10 years now. The first couple of years I was a graphic designer, eventually migrating into web design, and now I develop applications with JavaScript.

    During this entire time, I've worked for about 6 different companies. Not a single one of them ever engaged the actual users of the software about what features they wanted or what tools they needed. Or whether or not the current tools were of use to them.

    This is so bizarre to me because everything I've learned about software development and creating successful products points to the fact that you have to engage the user and do user testing.

    Every day at each of these work place people throw around phrases like "we have to support the end user", or "we need user centric design". In practice, we have "brain storming" sessions that involve the product owner, a few developers, and various other stakeholders and designers. These people all just sit in a room and dream up what the application should be and in a week or so, the devs start cranking out code. At the end of a few sprints, the product is pushed to production and everyone throws a party.

    Never - not once, ever, ever - has a user group been put together for testing. Never have I seen an actual "UX Expert" do actual user experience work (normally these are glorified graphic design folks who use UX as a resume buzzword).

    If I sound like I'm venting, it's probably true. But it's also very frustrating and I feel like I'm always in a situation where people are preaching one thing, but doing something entirely different.

    Is anyone out there actively doing user testing and iterating based off of end-user feedback, or is this just some ivory-tower myth?

    submitted by /u/posts_lindsay_lohan
    [link] [comments]

    I need recommendations of programing books that contain implementation (preferably many) problems for college purposes

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 09:54 PM PDT

    Hello everybody!

    I'm a brazilian Information Systems student. I joined the course in January and just ended the first semester. I did pretty well so far in the programming subjects. I realized that, having learned the basics of programming before joining helped me a lot. I got the teacher's way to code and learned the new things he showed me and voilà.

    But the exercises of the tests were nothing like the books problems. In both of the two exams we had to create applications that had applications in the real world - though simple, of course, because we're just beginning. For exemple: in the second test, there was just two questions and the first we had to write a program to help manage a clothes store, using one-dimension and two-dimension arrays.

    I searched in a lot of books and in the internet but i couldn't find any similar problems. In some moments I had to invent exercises in order to practice.

    I took a look at the next semester's subject and the same problem happened. Most of the programming books suck. They show the theory and the exercises are not enough for really learning it. Few books have deeper exercises, like Deitel's one.

    We're going to learn, in the next semester (we use C language):

    *Functions and parameters passing; *Structs; *Handling binary files; *Basic searching and sorting algorithms (like insertion sort and binary search.

    I would be so grateful if someone could tell me a book that has good exercises. It can be of another language of language-agnostic, being a C book isn't the most important point. Because the ones i found suck.

    Thank you since now!

    submitted by /u/Dr3ngcap
    [link] [comments]

    How could one build a basic multi-sided platform website to test an idea

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 09:33 PM PDT

    This is probably off topic here so please indulge me. I'm guessing people in this sub know a lot about this topic.

    If I wanted to build a simple personal website, there are many options. Wix, squarespace, wordpress...the list goes on.

    What if I wanted to build a simple multi sided platform to test a business idea? Is there an equivalent option? Quick and dirty, limited functionality.

    I assumed there would be companies out there offering this on a subscription model but I haven't found anything.

    I'm using "multi-sided platform" to mean a website that facilitates interactions between two or more distinct groups.

    submitted by /u/tryinreddit
    [link] [comments]

    Do a lot of people in programming actually read the book Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs? I see it recommended everywhere but it is 800 pages long, the language is very dense and the exercises apparently contradict each other.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 05:29 AM PDT

    Is it a book you would recommend in 2018 or is it better now to learn programming fundamentals through practice and exercises?

    submitted by /u/koenigsforst
    [link] [comments]

    Does python have something similar to SceneBuilder?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 09:06 PM PDT

    I am currently using wxGlade and it is not nearly as robust as Scenebuilder. Are there any alternatives?

    submitted by /u/MagFraggins
    [link] [comments]

    What are some podcast every aspiring programmer / coder should listen to daily?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 09:04 PM PDT

    Let's share

    submitted by /u/SpareTech_O
    [link] [comments]

    Career Path Options

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 09:03 PM PDT

    Hi all, So a few months ago I decided I wanted a career change, I'm currently a BA in the corporate setting. My undergrad was in computer information systems, where I had an intro to OO languages with Visual Basic and took a course in DB's where I learned the basics of SQL. I've always been interested in coding so I decided to get my master's in CS at NJIT. Since I don't have a great foundation in coding and the whole CS thing, I have felt slightly overwhelmed as I need to teach myself the basics of Java plus my current workload. I don't really feel that I'm spending my time/money in the right place at the moment. With that said, I really do enjoy learning coding. My question is whether I need school as I feel as if I am already teaching myself. So my question to you guys is, is getting certifications in various areas of programming a viable way of penetrating the job market? If so what certifications should I work towards? Would it be dumb of me to leave my masters program to be self taught?
    Thanks in advanced!

    submitted by /u/swagapotomus
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for websites to teach young children programming.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 08:50 PM PDT

    During this summer period I will be teaching children how to code, I was hoping that someone here would have a good website that I could use to teach children the basic of programming.

    submitted by /u/Unseencoders
    [link] [comments]

    what is an API?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 02:51 PM PDT

    The videos on YouTube describes an API as sort of a middleman. But when you look up "Java API", it looks like a library. So I'm confused about what an API actually is.

    submitted by /u/LatterChampion
    [link] [comments]

    Absolute beginner

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 08:34 PM PDT

    Hello fellow Redditors,

    I have not coded before and I found out about this subreddit through a friend of a friend who suggested to me that it would be a good start. I'm here to learn the fundamentals of coding from the beginning and would like to be a novice coder in about a three months period.

    Where do I start, what books or guide books do I need if I need any? Something that's easily comprehensive would be golden.

    I am willing to put in work and time to learn coding (C language) and then move on to other languages.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/BrownGuyReddits
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment