• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 13, 2018

    Big 4 Discussion - June 13, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Big 4 Discussion - June 13, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Big 4 Discussion - June 13, 2018

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big 4 and questions related to the Big 4, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big 4 really? Posts focusing solely on Big 4 created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big 4 Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - June 13, 2018

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I had my Internship rescinded 3 days before start. Need some advice.

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 11:34 AM PDT

    Hello, I am using throwaway because I don't know if the funding situation is confidential. I had an offer letter for an internship as a developer for a government entity in the bay area it was supposed to next week, but today I was told that this position was cut due to funding issues with a grant that was paying for it. This would have been my first internship in this field and it would have done massive things for my career. Not only that, I was excited to work on their platform that helped a lot of local people. Bummer, So what can I do from here? I am actually embarrassed because I updated my linkedin and told people I would be working their! Should I try to reach back to places I got ghosted from and see if they are still looking? I really don't have anything going on this summer and it was the only offer I got despite 500+ applications (yes I did get resume review, and my school has terrible career fair), I felt like this internship search was a waste of time. EDIT 1: Should I request to maybe work for them for free as a volunteer while keeping my intern title? EDIT 2: The only work experience I have in this field is freelancing for a relatives startup.

    submitted by /u/unknowngov1223
    [link] [comments]

    Employer requesting for money

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 09:34 AM PDT

    Can an employer request for money back after resignation? I recently resigned from a full time position that was paid by the hour. Its a small startup. My employer is requesting for wages to be paid back because of half day fridays during the summer (granted to me on the contract), PTO (granted to me on the contract and verbally), and for leaving early occasionally (not granted on the contract, but verbally granted and also not documented anywhere).

    I read through my contracts as well and nowhere does it say that the employer can request for money back after it has been deposited to me. But since my employer (he's super toxic and petty) is pissed, I really think he might take it further and may even try to screw me out of equity (not that it's worth anything lol) if he could. Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/scydev
    [link] [comments]

    Too early to ask for raise?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 05:12 AM PDT

    I got a job as a QA/Developer about 3 weeks ago at a small company (<20) in metro Atlanta with an offer of 33k, without tax. This was my first opportunity and first job, so I took it. I wasn't aware of this during the interview, but this offer came a few weeks after two lead developers/QA analysts left without word. Since then 1 more developer and 1 QA analyst have left. However, my salary will stay the same while I probably take over some of their work, or more.

    Is it too early to ask for a raise seeing as my workload will most likely increase?

    submitted by /u/eared123
    [link] [comments]

    How important is a linkedin account

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 09:47 AM PDT

    Is a linkedin account important at all? I have one but havent updated it in a while.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/gimmealltheinfo
    [link] [comments]

    Astro/Physics grad with a good amount of programming experience, looking for tips on how to present myself to potential employers.

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 03:10 PM PDT

    I graduated in 2015 with a bachelors in Astronomy and Physics. I learned how to program in college but it was mainly geared toward astro/physics data collection and analysis.

    Quick summary of some of my college experience:

    Used the Astronomer Language IDL combined with Emacs, Linux shell for image processing and data analysis. I took an intro class to Python for engineers. Coded a Tetris game for the final project Took a Data Structures and Algorithms course for CS Majors. First time using Java, learned it the first week before HW was due Spent 8 months writing code in C++ for detector calibration and data analysis during an internship at CERN.

    I suffered a pretty bad burnout after graduation. Most physics majors I knew went to grad school but I didn't think I could handle it at the time. I was diagnosed with ADHD shortly after and needed time to recover and develop good habits. Because of this, I have a 2 year gap without any work experience aside from tutoring.

    However, recently, I've gotten serious about getting into the software development industry. I spent a lot of time taking online courses and doing various coding projects to improve my marketable skills.

    I've been working on various game development projects with Unity Game Engine and C#. I went to Game Jam 2017 and 2018 and now I am currently working on some small VR projects. Last summer I learned Android Programming (Android Studio and Xamarin) to work on an app idea. I have a functioning prototype that shows the location and time of several local events in the city, filtered by day and activity. The app development project provided me with great learning experience on how to implement different API's and also how to define and structure my classes and functions to be easily improved when new features are added. I took a course called Software Engineering Essentials in which I learned about the software development life cycle, agile & scrum, unit testing, OOP, version control etc. This course was incredibly helpful to learn about the widespread skills and practices used in the industry.

    I took another course called Clean Code. Mainly a class geared toward how best to structure, organize and refactor code. In my experience, most physicists write code that works and nothing beyond that. This course opened my mind and helped me learn to write more readable code. I've been applying everything I've learned in those online courses to my personal projects in order to develop coding practices that I can hopefully extend to a future software development job.

    Last September, I started a QA Test position at a research company, but the job involved little programming experience. Even though it was fairly stable and comfortable, I did not see myself progressing towards a career and the job was in a fairly rural area. I decided to leave my job in June, move into the city, and spend the summer applying to various software related positions.

    I've since edited my resume to mostly highlight my programming experience. However, I could still use some advice. How should I best present myself in the resume and cover letter? What should I focus on and what should I exclude?

    I know that some employers/hiring managers are looking for very specific criteria and experience. They might not take a 2nd look at my resume if I don't meet their qualifications (don't have a CS degree, X years experience using esoteric program, etc). I've already proven it to myself that I can pick up and learn whatever skills I need to (<= astrophysics) for the job. How do I prove it to a potential employer? Maybe in this regard, certain positions/companies are better than others. Maybe there are certain positions I should be targeting more than others and ignoring some completely? Another possible tactic is to start somewhere in Test or Support, and move up within the company.

    TL:DR Astronomy and Physics grad with coding experience looking to start a career in the software industry. How do I best present myself to potential employers?

    Thanks for reading this long post and I appreciate any and all of your comments and advice. :)

    Here is a link to my generic resume: https://imgur.com/RYypqYK

    submitted by /u/itsfullofstars10
    [link] [comments]

    On a national/worldwide level, how qualified is the average computer science grad for this industry? I get the impression from this sub that the average grad doesn't make the cut

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 12:17 PM PDT

    I would appreciate any anecdotal evidence from hiring managers/recruiters on how qualified the average grad is.

    I know certain schools have a higher caliber of student who will not struggle to find work. But can we make an estimation of how qualified the average new grad is on a national or worldwide level?

    By this I mean:

    • If they have a degree, what is their GPA range?
    • If any internship experience, how many internships and at what caliber of companies?
    • If any side projects, how in-depth/substantive are they?
    • Finally, is this level of qualification employable at an average company?

    Thanks for your time.

    submitted by /u/MSUtimmy
    [link] [comments]

    People who enjoy, actually enjoy, their current job: why?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 04:10 PM PDT

    Title basically says it all.

    If you enjoy you're current job, why? What aspects of it do you like? How long were you at the position before you realize whether or not you liked it?

    EDIT: One question I realized I forgot to ask: what makes you like it more than other jobs you had?

    submitted by /u/Randalf_the_gray
    [link] [comments]

    Ever been unemployed and almost broke?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 07:05 PM PDT

    I have a bachelor's degree in CS. I haven't done any programming in years. I want to get back into this but I feel unable to apply to any CS jobs now. I don't have enough employment to pay my rent right now, only a 10-15 hour part-time unskilled job. My other temp position ended. The time is ticking down toward the end of the month. I feel that the only option is to apply to unskilled jobs in my town (very local) that I could get almost immediately, so that I can be sure of a roof over my head. Does this sound smart?

    submitted by /u/1wyatt
    [link] [comments]

    No idea what I'm doing

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 08:34 AM PDT

    2 weeks into new data analyst job(junior) and have no clue what my tasks are and how to be productive. Boss is awesome but always unavailable (busy with presentations and meetings). No mentor or peer to shadow. Just kind of given a computer and told that they want a spreadsheet made of all tables and views being used in the SQL for dashboards. So, I now I have the idea of what they want but new systems and schema's and I'm fresh out of school looking at complex SQL programs.... Lol I feel effed. I really want to succeed and become competent within this field but right now I have a bad case of imposter syndrome. I guess this isn't a question, just a vent. FML

    submitted by /u/SuperSaiyanTurkey
    [link] [comments]

    Received a full-time offer from the company where I'm interning, but just found out they're in serious talks to be acquired. Completely unsure of what to do.

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 05:06 PM PDT

    Some background about me: I'm a non-traditional student who left a past career to pursue development work. I'm currently about halfway through the undergrad CS coursework at my (low-ranked) state university, with the plan being to enroll this fall in the MSCS program there and finish up with the grad degree (I already have a bachelor's from an unrelated field).

    I was lucky enough to receive a dev internship for the summer. I've been performing well at the tasks assigned to me, and after a full-time developer left for a higher offer my boss approached me about coming on full-time. Initially, I was very open to this given my age (late twenties) and desire to start earning an income again. Yesterday, I received the official offer letter, which in my opinion/research is very fair for my location and experience. I know for a fact that it's above what they typically offer entry-level developers, and my boss went to bat for me with management to help get me (most of) what I asked for, which I really appreciated.

    Earlier this week, I noticed a lot of strange things going on - the corporate lawyer started showing up asking to talk to the lead devs privately, the more essential developers kept getting called into private meetings (which wasn't a typical occurrence prior), my boss basically disappeared when previously she made a point to check in daily with every dev, lots of hushed discussions and worried looks amongst the more senior developers, etc. I survived an acquisition at one point in my past career, and I figured out pretty quick what was going on.

    I flat out asked my boss about this information today, and she confirmed my suspicions. Apparently the negotiations are pretty far along...at one point during the discussion she told me that I needed to make a decision by Friday due to the negotiations (I presume due to a potential hiring freeze by the acquirer). She mentioned a lot of "big administrative changes" and couldn't tell me for certain whether or not she would even be managing me after the deal is done. Aside from that, she made a point to put a positive spin on it, but I got told all that the last time this happened to me so I have a hard time buying it.

    I'm really torn on what to do, for the following reasons:

    • I realize that the acquisition may mean I get canned early on (last-in-first-out typically being the rule, especially since I lack the CS degree), but even if that happens I feel like I could just return to school and nobody would blame me for the layoff - I've depleted most of my savings to return to school full-time, and the opportunity to sock away some cash (even on a short-term basis) is very attractive to me.
    • In addition, I'm not likely to receive another opportunity like this anytime soon - my boss has been really impressed with my work and extended the offer knowing that I lack a lot of the coursework/experience she would typically expect of a full-time developer. I really enjoy the work the company is doing, and although it's not a perfect environment I definitely would have the opportunity to improve my skillset by working here (for however long that is).
    • On the other hand, I'm worried a short stint could possibly look bad on my resume, and of course I would need to drop out of school to take the position, which would put me even further behind everybody else in the event I was let go. I'm doing really well in school, and I know other opportunities will present themselves in the future if I keep working hard (especially with the additional gold star this internship gives me on my resume)
    • I also fully realize that any/all of the good things I enjoy about working at the company could disappear at a moment's notice. That said, if that happened, I could just quit and go back to school as discussed in my first point above.

    I don't feel like I have the perspective/experience to make an informed decision, and there's not really anybody in my network that I feel comfortable asking. As such, I would really appreciate any advice/perspective those of you on this sub could give me.

    tl;dr non-traditional student returning to school for CS, received a good full-time offer from company where I'm interning, found out company is very likely to be acquired, unsure whether I should drop out of school to make some money/rebuild savings/get some good experience at the risk of an early layoff/associate black mark on my resume

    submitted by /u/some_dude23x3
    [link] [comments]

    How can I tell if a company is a reliable employer or not?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 02:06 PM PDT

    I'm currently on the job hunt in the Jersey City/NYC area. I feel confident in my skills and know what kind of positions I'm looking for. Unfortunately, a lot of places misrepresent themselves to hire people. They either talk themselves up, hire people at too high of a salary and fire people quickly, or don't last too long because they may be relatively new.

    Obviously not all companies are like this. Not all startups are bad places to work. But I'm currently employed at a fortune 50 company and happy with my day to day job. I like the project, I'm comfortable with the tech stack, and feel respected for my position. The only problem is that they severely underpay. Many of my coworkers have left to work at other companies and have increased their salaries by 150%-200%. I would like to do this as well, but I'm concerned about moving from a secure position with a reputable to a place I've never heard of.

    How can I vet out the good offers from the bad?

    submitted by /u/Crislips
    [link] [comments]

    Career change from bad coding challenging results

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 08:48 AM PDT

    Currently working full stack at a software company but I am looking to leave and start somewhere else (toxic environment) I have been interviewing at places but these coding challenges I just can't seem to pass. What other careers with a CS background can I pursue other than software engineering? I eventually want to go into product management so if it'll help in that regards that would be what I want.

    submitted by /u/visualexstasy
    [link] [comments]

    Does Capital One take interns from schools on the quarter system?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 05:20 PM PDT

    I recently heard that Capital One does not take summer interns from schools on the quarter system since they have a strict start and end date.

    Can anyone confirm this?

    What is their start/end date for the coming summer?

    For reference my school ends mid June.

    submitted by /u/zanzaroo
    [link] [comments]

    Does online courses make any difference in the hiring process?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 11:09 AM PDT

    Hi, I am almost close to finishing up my grad studies and wondering should I start doing some online courses just to let the employer know that I am familiar with those technologies (for example taking a Hadoop course to show that I know little bit of Hadoop). Will they consider me at least little bit more?

    submitted by /u/fazletanjil
    [link] [comments]

    I am wasting time and money on a program I don't like, what are the pros and cons for dropping out and pursue a CS career on my own? Any advice would be great, thanks

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 10:00 AM PDT

    Goal:

    • Work at a big tech company and make money

    Edit:

    Reality:

    • I am majoring in physics
    • I feel I am wasting money on courses I don't like
    • Don't have the GPA to transfer to dream program
    • Parents pressure me to just graduate with a degree
    • Learning CS on my own and getting decent coops

    I realized there are a lot of drop outs in tech industry, does a degree really matter that much, what are the pros and cons for dropping out, what should I do?

    submitted by /u/fkpd
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think the work I'm doing at my FT job is worth in pay?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 07:50 PM PDT

    BEFORE YOU READ COMMENTS:

    Read the post first, and then decide your answer so that its not influenced by others comments, who you probably disagree with


    I've been at my new job for about two months now, and according to other subs, my pay is laughable to them, and they think I was screwed. I didn't think so and thought "I just graduated and this is my first job." But I wanted an opinion based on what I'm really doing now, not just a title...

    So, I wanted to describe some of the things I do on a daily basis, and maybe based on what I describe you can estimate what someone doing that type of work would be paid, either hourly or salary depending on what you think suits it better. I know its only estimate, so I'll take all the comments with a grain of salt, but I'm curious of opinions from people in this field.


    Web Developer Role

    • Develop websites for clients
    • Improve "backend" (of the front end) functionality of websites
    Develop Websites for Clients

    The development of the "websites" is one aspect. I'm given all the requirements, design, and content, and it is my job to develop it in a HTML/CSS/JQUERY/XML/JSON/ stack. The development doesn't have database integration due to clientele requirements. But the content is all dynamic. Nothing is hardcoded, and everything is stored through JSON/XML. Instead of data being pulling from databases, its pulled from those files.

    The frontend HTML/CSS is the most simplistic aspect of it all. The backend(not PHP/database backend, just functionality of components) is where all the beauty happens. That why I call them "websites," because they act more like webapps where theres lots of moving parts than a simple webpage.

    Develop Websites for Clients

    Which brings me to part 2 of my tasks. This deals with improving that ""backend"" functionality, which handles lots of JS code dedicated to how the web interface works for the users. I've spend lots of time developing fully dynamic and interactive components for users, and for other developers to use in their own projects. Making the background processes of the webapp more efficient and optimized. Basically I've been improving a frame for all these apps to be developed in.

    Another side task, for example, is creating build scripts. Previously before I was hired, for the webapps to be delivered to clients, the developers would go through painstaking process of creating a distribution version themselves manually. Now, I was able to create them a script that when run, creates a minified, concatinated build version of the app. The script is completely dynamic, goes through readings particular Project Object Model files, and based on them concates particular files, throws unused ones out, updates line of code with new lines that are needed to work on servers. Its hard to describe without a demonstration, but its a big improvement and I think its pretty cool stuff.

    submitted by /u/Death_AllHisFriends
    [link] [comments]

    2% inflation pay bump

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 07:46 PM PDT

    How many of you get a 2% pay bump or some kind of raise every year?

    submitted by /u/keevajuice
    [link] [comments]

    Going from Desktop Support to Data Analyst in same company? Having trouble knowing what salary expectations to make.

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 07:41 PM PDT

    Making 43k as IT desktop support and I'm moving into being their first data analyst in two weeks (probably). Market rate for a data analyst seems to float between 60 - 75k in this area for healthcare.

    Since this is my first step into the field but at the same company I already work at, should I be happy with 60k if they offer that? Or is 43k desktop support to 60k data analyst too much to expect? Should I be glad if they offer 50k?

    Little extra info - I'm set to graduate with my B.S. next year. I've done projects with SQL, R, Java and Python. My employer has never had a data analyst, but is desperate. Small town, this skill set is very rare here, which is probably why I'm getting it even though I'm still a student (and already being a full time IT desktop support employee made it easier).

    submitted by /u/DarthTomServo
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth applying for jobs where you have to create an account and retype your entire job history/etc?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 03:47 AM PDT

    The ones where you have to start writing down every single reference, and write down your job history all over again.

    Are these worth applying for if they take me 30-60+ minutes to do?
    I stopped doing them because I never get to speak to a human when I do, and I think they automatically filter me out with keywords. It just seems like a dehumanizing process.

    The last one I did required that I do this, and then I got an automated email to take a 60 question questionnaire. After that I got an automated email to take an IQ test. After that I got an automated email for taking an algorithm test.

    When I got the algorithm test, I thought it was degrading because I still haven't got a phone interview and I stopped. Am I missing out by ignoring these jobs?

    submitted by /u/jobThrowaway991
    [link] [comments]

    Second degree student in CS - take only relevant courses and finish schooling early or stay till the end and get the CS degree?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 09:38 AM PDT

    I'm currently back at my uni pursuing a post-pacc with my 1st degree being in Finance. I worked as an credit Analyst for 2 years.

    I'm finishing up my 1 year mark this summer and these are the courses I've taken: Multi-variable Calculus, Linear Algebra, Prob & Statistics, Discrete Mathematics, OOP in Java, Computer Organization & Assembly Language, Computer Architecture, Data Structure, Design and Analysis of Algorithms.

    I have a 3.7 GPA so I haven't really been struggling with the degree. However, I still have 1.5 year left and honestly, I don't want to go through any more schooling, I don't want to take out more loans, and my savings will probably only last me only an additional year, to which I'd have to move back in with my parents (I don't want too personally).

    Do you guys think its possible to just finish my education here and find a full time job and learn the rest of the topics like OS, Computability & Complexity, Software Engineering, Compiler, etc on my own? Or should I just suck it up and finish the 2nd degree?

    If I were to drop out of school, is it likely that I'll have a rough time finding a job or will the courses I've taken to date be sufficient?

    submitted by /u/PatientHighlight7
    [link] [comments]

    [UK] Tier 4 Visa, not interested in Big 4/FinTech. Where to go?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 01:05 PM PDT

    I'm currently on a Tier 4 Visa and am going to graduate next year (2019). I have no interest in Big 4/FinTech (Big 4 is... too big, finance bores me), so that leaves me with startups.

    I have two years of experience working in internships with .NET and the web stack (.NET/Python/PHP).

    I have a few questions:

    1. Do startups usually pay for visa fees?
    2. What kind of startups should I look for when applying for jobs, visa-wise?
    3. I'm open to relocating to Western Europe (Brexit and all) or to Scotland - which places have a vibrant startup scene? Berlin and Dublin looked quite good.
    submitted by /u/tyteen4a03
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone work in the medical/health industry?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 06:57 PM PDT

    1. What do you do?
    2. What is your education?
    3. Are you satisfied with your job?
    4. Is there room for advancement without the need for further education?
    5. How many years experience do you have?
    submitted by /u/ajknights730
    [link] [comments]

    Internships that pay for your flight + accommodation?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 06:53 PM PDT

    Hello, anyone know of any companies that hire international interns? Specifically ones from APAC (Aus)?

    I know Microsoft does, I know Google does... who else?

    I really want to snag an internship in the US (to 'trial' the US and see how living there is like), and I'm not sure where else to apply.

    I'm also not in my last year or second last year - which makes things a lot harder. But I am in my 3+ year and have experience at one of the big 4 tech companies.

    submitted by /u/nsw21
    [link] [comments]

    How to deal with Senior Dev that writes messy code?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2018 03:06 PM PDT

    I joined a small Angular dev team a few months ago and things have been going pretty well. There's a few others on the team and I haven't had an issue with anybody. I'm a mid-level dev but I think I probably have the most Angular/JavaScript/TypeScript experience of anyone on the team (they all come from a java background). Writing good, clean code is an important thing to me because as devs it isn't uncommon to have to go back and sift through your own code or somebody else's because of a bug, or because you are adding a new feature and need to know how things work. I've read Clean Code, and I was fortunate in my previous job to have a very senior mentor that took great pride in the code that he wrote. Both of these things have stuck with me.

    The senior dev on our team is an incredibly smart guy but writes extremely messy code. His code will be filled with commented out code, tons of unnecessary log statements, gibberish variable names, functions nested inside of other functions for no apparent reason, etc. I'm not asking for much I don't think, but some semblance of craft would be nice here. When he sends me code and asks me to review it I usually let him know that a lot of the commented out old code, log statements, and nested functions can either be removed or refactored. I try to let him know that breaking down a lot of his functions into smaller pieces will make things easier to test as well (something that he has asked me for help on in the past). But still, none of the suggestions seem to be sticking.

    He doesn't seem annoyed about it but I am sure at some point it will start to bother him that I am questioning the way he does his job. Is there a good way to handle this? Or do I just shut up and continue to deal with the mess and not bring it up anymore?

    submitted by /u/InYourAtmosphere_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment