• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 10, 2018

    Big 4 Discussion - June 10, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Big 4 Discussion - June 10, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Big 4 Discussion - June 10, 2018

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big 4 and questions related to the Big 4, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big 4 really? Posts focusing solely on Big 4 created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big 4 Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - June 10, 2018

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    My company had a bad year and started bringing in more interns to do the job instead of professional programmes. Time to bail?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 09:14 AM PDT

    My company is small and seems to be plagued by a constant series of bad decisions, both on how to conduct business as well as hiring.

    Last year our numbers (revenue) were not great, so starting on 2018, management began bringing in interns and even high school kids to help out. A few things that worry me:

    • The problem, from where I'm standing, is that they hired a lot of people by giving them average to low salaries and we ended up having 20% professionals, highly productive employees against 80% unprepared, low-performing employees.

    • Instead of trying to set the ship straight, they are now expanding the internship program expecting that those of us on the 20% range will teach the interns so that the company can get more productivity out of very low salaries.

    • Another reason is that a few of the employees in the 80% group have a good relationship with management and are around 40 years old, so management doesn't push them as hard as those younger (like me, who am 29 years old), making things hard overall. I don't complain because my salary is higher than theirs, but I don't like what I'm seeing.

    • They also don't want to cut people out of the blue because they are afraid of what the other employees may think. The end result? We currently have 6 (non-devs) people whose job could be done by 3, and half of these already showed they are not good at their job, but the money keeps flowing out...

    • The second plan they have to future proof the compamy is to develop an in-house product. Management is so convinced that they "have to do something to stop depending on clients" that they got a loan and are betting a couple of months of work to get this product up and running, as well as using some of the client's work to our advantage.

    It will be a disaster as they are not even remotely prepared to succeed and they are betting on a stupid idea for a new CMS system on an already saturated market...

    At the same time, we never say "no" to any new work as we "need the money" and can't afford to lose either the work nor the connection. The end result: constantly overworked...

    We hang on because we have a couple of big clients that pay a lot, but, in your opinion, is it time to bail?

    EDIT: the idea of bringing interns is to teach them and prepare them to do the job so that the company can "invest" on them and avoid bringing in people who a) will cost more, and b) may not be prepared to do the job.

    Of course, this happens constantly as they don't pay a lot, but they never question that aspect. Not even once did they stop to think that the intern may tell them "f* off" afterwards.

    They see this as an investment on the future...

    submitted by /u/csguy77
    [link] [comments]

    Is anybody worried about an impending recession?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 03:38 PM PDT

    I am looking to head into a career as a programmer. I'll be looking for a junior developer job sometime this year, but I am worried about a potential recession. I am going to be moving to Chicago within the next month or two, for what it's worth, but I was wondering if anybody has advice or predictions about the probability of a competent person getting an entry level job right during a bad recession. How did the 2008 recession affect you?

    submitted by /u/bextehudes
    [link] [comments]

    6 months in and I'm beyond overwhelmed

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 03:11 PM PDT

    Feeling stuck in a really bad spot.

    In early 20s, 6+ months into my first dev job. Small company (<50 engineers) with ridiculous hiring bar (people have interviewed with offers from Top 4, to get rejected here) and very tough expectations on the job (at least in my opinion). I've felt really overwhelmed since day 1, and I thought it would get better, but it's over half a year and it's not better.

    There was a moment a few months ago where I had spent over a month on a task and was finally starting to get the hang of the code in that area, and then our next assignment was 2 weeks (totally different section of the codebase) which threw me for a complete loop. Then our next assignment after that was really short too, and also in a totally different section of the codebase. The constant switching between very different ideas, combined with the expectation for quick turnaround, has been tough for me.

    I know I'm capable of doing good work somewhere, and I know I like coding (fundamentally), but those happy moments are few and far between now. I get anxiety attacks just thinking about work (there were multiple days in May where I had 8+ hour continuous panic attacks in my afternoons and evenings). I couldn't sleep more than 4-5 hours, even on the weekends, even when I was tired. This never happened before this job - I think the stress has just built up to a crazy point.

    Culturally, the environment here is really sterile (respectful but very, very distant), and everyone is super driven. I get the impression that my manager views us only as numbers (assets or liabilities) and I get that that's a business view but shouldn't there be some ounce of humanity in our interactions? I don't feel it. And I get that this sort of approach is easier to bear if you feel motivated from your work itself, but the expectations are so overwhelming I no longer feel the joy from accomplishing something. So all in all, I really don't feel comfortable at work, so I've shut down emotionally and stopped connecting with people.

    I'm in a tough place. Would welcome thoughts from those with more experience and wisdom.

    submitted by /u/jreese32
    [link] [comments]

    What IBM looks for at Career Fairs [Image]

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 01:33 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I am not a CS major nor do I work in the field, but I forgot that about a year ago I volunteered at my school's career fair and snapped a photo of the backside of one the IBM's recruiter's nametags. Obviously, this is what IBM was looking for when they were on my particular campus but I am sure it is similar elsewhere. Its fairly common stuff but maybe me sharing it might help someone get an interview :)

    https://imgur.com/a/MoB83SH

    submitted by /u/WittySignificance
    [link] [comments]

    People looking for side work, where do you go?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 01:15 PM PDT

    What are my options with a PhD?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 06:10 PM PDT

    I'm currently an undergrad, but trying to figure out my future. What is the difference, in terms of career type or salary potential, of a BS vs MS vs PhD in CS?

    submitted by /u/transferStudent2018
    [link] [comments]

    Why do a lot of people on this sub fear going into management?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 09:20 AM PDT

    When people ask the best way to increase salary without going into management, is there a particular reason why management is avoided in this field?

    submitted by /u/yayaya3456
    [link] [comments]

    Is it ethical to use race/ethnicity as a selling point to get a job? If so, how does one go about doing this?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 06:38 PM PDT

    I am a programmer first and foremost. My c# skills are intermediate. I know how to use the .Net library and methods and I can create my own functional libraries. I am good with Winforms. But my LPN license and community college SQL certificate are not getting me anywhere.

    I know I can be useful as a back-end engineer if properly orientated (if anything that even resembles orientation at a job exists). I am currently employed, and I make good money, but I am tired of back pain, getting yelled at by doctors for not being able to read their illegible scribbles, and measuring people's foul-smelling urine.

    My question: Is ethical for a person to conspicuously state their race/gender on a [job search document]?

    If so, how would I go about doing this?

    I don't want a handout. I want a job. But I am not too proud to use my blackness as a selling point if it will get my foot in a door.

    This is not a troll question. I graduate in 2 years, but it seems like 200 years away. I am just ready to start coding (in an office. not in my bedroom)

    submitted by /u/VisualCSharp2012
    [link] [comments]

    Are there many jobs for web developers with a CS degree in Oregon?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 06:55 PM PDT

    I am about to graduate this December.

    submitted by /u/tech55
    [link] [comments]

    Should I make first contact with recruiters on LinkedIn?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 07:15 AM PDT

    I'm a rising college sophomore and I'm looking to possibly connect with recruiters at companies I would like to get internships at through LinkedIn. I applied online to a few companies near me semi-seriously, since I knew I would be taking classes over the summer and likely wouldn't have time for an internship on top of that, and got no response. After that, I figured sending my application into these "resume blackholes" isn't the best idea so I came up with this alternate strategy. However, before going through with that, I wanted to ask how viable this is. I am doing this to gain a head start on internship recruiting for next summer.

    And also some examples or guidance on how exactly to message them to maximize my chances of getting an interview would be helpful.

    If anyone has experience with any of this, I would be glad to hear about it. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/ChoteBoi
    [link] [comments]

    Instead of my counter offer of $120k base, company is offering $100k base with $5k guaranteed bonus every quarter. Should I be worried or is this the same thing?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 03:15 PM PDT

    The bonus doesn't seem to be tied to company performance.

    Additional question: There's a clause which says that I'll have to payback the costs of my visa ($10k) if I leave within 18 months. Is that normal?

    EDIT: This is for Canada and the currency is CAD.

    submitted by /u/PopsicleLottery
    [link] [comments]

    Best CS jobs for people that like design and hate meetings

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 03:50 PM PDT

    I am working my first internship in enterprise software development at a fortune 500 company this summer and I am finding that I hate the meetings and the extremely slow pace.

    I have worked in academics doing research and I have been very successful in that environment. I liked it because I had weekly meetings with my professor where we mainly brainstormed ideas, rather than daily meetings where we barely ever talk about the actual project, and if we do, they just tell me to open a JIRA ticket and give me 0 feedback.

    Are start-ups more like research in that there will be more brainstorming and emphasis put on the actual design of the project?

    Are R&D jobs (especially those that required a PhD because I plan to apply into grad school this fall) more design focused and faster paced? I've been telling myself for all 3 years of college so far that I want to work at a big N company doing research, but if R&D at a Big N is anything like this, I might be wrong.

    Should I just become a professor?

    submitted by /u/gentleboys
    [link] [comments]

    What to expect when I get out to the real world?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 03:46 PM PDT

    I'm graduating May 2019 with a BS in CS. I have had an internship at a smaller company that I didn't enjoy. And I'm currently interning at a big, old company, old that people who develop programs are 50+ years old. I wanna know if people feel the same way when they get an internship/job. I feel like I don't know much about company systems and how everything work together and need a little bit of training. For ex, when I started my current internship, they were talking about this software is on the production server, they need to make backup of that server and start developing a new software because this software is too old. Never worked with servers and don't know how. If, let's say I get an entry lvl job as a developer, do they expect me to know how do to backup and how to run a program on their servers? Or should they give me some guidance as to what to do? Right now I'm developing a program but still on my pc, am I supposed to get it up and running on a server by myself?

    I developed a program for my company that has a gateway, so all I had to do to run the program was to go to that gateway (ip+port#) and click launch. And the software automatically adds an icon (client mode) on the desktop from which users can use is the future. But I haven't done a programming project (in eclipse for ex) and ran it on anywhere else other than my pc.

    Also, some companies out there have 2-year programs where they train their software developers 6 months in different divisions. For companies that don't have such programs, how much training should I expect?

    Btw I'm talking about newly created programs. Most developers, from what I heard, import existing codes that have been already running on servers. Please share your experience at your first job and tell us what to expect :)

    submitted by /u/bigazoz
    [link] [comments]

    F5 networks software engineer I salary in Boulder/Louisville CO

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 04:57 PM PDT

    A recruiter told me that F5 networks starts software engineer I in Boulder/Louisville CO area around $75000 - $85000. Is that accurate? Or is it higher?

    submitted by /u/inquire1
    [link] [comments]

    How to motivate team members?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 12:13 PM PDT

    I have been working at my current job for a little over 2 years (first job after college). I've been on the same team the entire time and I enjoy the work I do and the company I work for.

    However, I feel like I am the only person who cares about the work the team does. There are 9 other people on the team and I know they can all produce quality code, but they do not apply themselves. Has anyone else had this issue? Does anyone have tips on how I can motivate my coworkers to work harder?

    submitted by /u/AreAllGoodNamesTaken
    [link] [comments]

    People who continue to work as developers even though they could retire, why?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 06:58 PM PDT

    I'm just wondering...

    when I look at the average salary of software developers, it's obvious that a lot of devs could retire really early.

    did you find your "dream job"?what is it?

    submitted by /u/dumbquestions9
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to transition to CS with no professional experience - alternative to doing a full undergrad?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 03:10 PM PDT

    I understand this is a common scenario discussed on this subreddit, but I couldn't find anything exactly answering this question.

    I've been working for over a year and a half at my current position, first job out of college. The job is fine but the only part of it I really enjoy is when I get to write code and develop tools - but we use matlab. From this experience, I'd say I'm pretty good in matlab, and I think I could easily transition to something like python.

    However, all the actual software development jobs I've applied to have resulted in no response or straight rejections. Obviously my current experience isn't enough to get me where I need to go.

    I KNOW that the obvious and best thing to do would be to learn on my own and develop my own projects to get a portfolio going. But I've tried, and I know myself well enough at this point to know that I'm not going to do enough on my own.

    So for alternative options - I've looked into getting a masters in CS since I can continue working while pursuing it, but I am hesitant about my ability to be accepted and also my ability to succeed without an undergraduate degree. What I would really love is to be able to get an undergrad degree without having to redo all of the bullshit courses that I've already done. This is essentially my question: are there any options that result in the equivalent of an undergrad in CS without having to go through four more years of college?

    Sorry for the extremely long post, probably longer than it needed to be.

    For reference, I have a bachelors in Physics and Math, but no professional software development experience beyond using matlab at my current job.

    TL;DR: I don't have professional software experience, I won't get it on my own time, what options do I have?

    submitted by /u/mandibal
    [link] [comments]

    What CS/Software Engineering positions offer a great deal of human interaction?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 01:48 PM PDT

    After 2.5 years of experience in Software Test I find myself greatly missing the amount of human interaction I experienced in my previous career in education, and even my near minimum wage, menial jobs that I held in my younger years. I love the logic and API interactions involved in coding, but between remote and outsourced workers (mostly email communication), and the general workload that usually requires working alone with code/documentation I find the rare days I enjoy most are the ones I spend working on a problem or project planning with other people.

    Maybe it's just a matter of company culture and development style. Are there companies that structure their development positions to work heavily with other engineers? Long term (I am working on an M.S. SW Engineering), what roles can I aim for in my career that would provide me a high ratio of working in tandem vs alone? Bonus if it involves less time staring a monitor. (ie. half the day instead of 90% of the day)

    submitted by /u/Lightning14
    [link] [comments]

    Help: No Summer internship

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 05:10 PM PDT

    So, I'm sure this subreddit gets this a lot, but essentially, I'm going to be a senior in undergrad in the New York area with 3.2 GPA and no summer internships. I've always wanted to work in a big corporation for the first one or two years out of graduating, but seeing that I have no internship for this summer, I was going to try and apply to some fall internships or a fall part-time job that's cs-related. For this summer, I'm doing some personal projects, taking classes (late switch from another major to CS), and practicing as much leetcode as possible.

    I think I have a solid understanding of DS/Algorithms, but with a low GPA and not much experience, I'm not even sure I can get an interview for me to demonstrate my competence to the companies.

    Seeing as how recruiting is just around the corner once summer ends, what do you think I should do to add substance to my resume so that I can increase my chances of getting interviews and working at a large corporation?

    Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/xiaoyouhow
    [link] [comments]

    How proficient does a backend developer need to be with frontend technologies?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 12:44 PM PDT

    If I'm practicing to become a backend developer, how comfortable should I get with CSS, SCSS, LESS, React and etc. in order to pass backend developer interviews?

    I currently have a basic grasp of HTML and CSS, but I'm nowhere near the level of creating those gorgeous javascript or CSS animations that you can find on codepen.

    submitted by /u/feigawtto
    [link] [comments]

    How did you find your jobs? (Indeed, referral, etc)

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 02:14 PM PDT

    I'm currently applying to jobs right now and I've mainly been applying through indeed and linkedin. No bites so far unfortunately. The only interview I've had since I've started looking was through a referral. I feel like that's the best way to go but I was curious if people actually get hired through blind applying.

    What resources did you guys/girls use to get hired by a company? By resources I mean, blind applications, referrals, career fairs, etc.

    submitted by /u/DistinctGuava
    [link] [comments]

    No Bachelors, 3 Years of work Experience in SF Bay Area. Considering going back to school.

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 07:57 PM PDT

    As stated I have bachelors due to dropping out of college after one year as a CS major. I have been working as a full-stack engineer for 3 years (story of how I got into the industry can be told if people are interested). I currently live in San Francisco. Also I am currently unemployed but am not struggling for day-to-day money because I lived frugally while working. I still want to work as a software engineer. I have gotten to a couple on-sites and been passed over. Perhaps it is my interview challenge skills that need work, but I also do feel like I missed on the school experience. I am considering two options:

    1. Taking credit courses at CCSF (local community college) and attempting to transfer to either Berkeley or UCLA to get a bachelors in CS.
    2. Taking a Micromasters, then transition to a full masters. They are offered through EDX. You complete ~30% of the on-campus coursework online, and apply to go on campus afterwards if you want a full masters.

    If anyone has been in my shoes I would greatly appreciate any advice you have.

    submitted by /u/ore0s
    [link] [comments]

    Why do industry people and instructors regularly use terms like "deprecated" and "obfuscated" rather than using more simple terms?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 07:36 PM PDT

    As someone who is self taught in development, it's always made me cringe when I see people speak in demos and tutorials using complex and overdone words to explain pretty simple comp-sci concepts...

    Where does the need to use less intuitive language to explain development concepts come from?

    I mentor development employees regularly, and I like to keep all of my development related language simple, I think that's one of the biggest things that helps greatly in terms of keeping people engaged in learning more rather than making them feel like there's too much to understand.

    Is the practice of using nondescriptive or academic development terms carried on in order to increase the entry barriers to learning and working in the comp-sci field for some?

    submitted by /u/olivermihoff
    [link] [comments]

    Worth it to start looking around? - 3yrs Exp. - NYC

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 07:31 PM PDT

    About me:

    • Working at a major financial institution in NYC
    • Almost 3 years of experience out of school - all with current company
    • Front End Engineer working on client facing trading applications
    • $140k base w/ ~$60k bonus

    Current situation:

    In 2-3 years once my partner has finished her grad school degree, we are considering moving out of NYC out west to somewhere where we can eventually buy a home.

    During that time frame I'm considering whether I should pursue a position outside of finance and get a different set of experiences or continue to try and grow at this one.

    Motivations to move include:

    • 4 Engineers and 4 Product Managers have left my division in the last 2 months, which is definitely spooking me a bit.
    • Getting a bit tired of finance and don't want to end up in finance.
    • Other peers (not in my division) have left because they wanted more than one company/type of experience every 2-3 years.
    • Don't want to stagnate and be complacent at current position.

    Motivations to stay include:

    • Recently promoted and have seen quite a bit of growth/responsibility considering my level of experience.
    • Enjoy the direct teammates I work with
    • Enjoy the technologies I'm using (TypeScript, React, and Java)
    • From what I can see, pay is competitive for NYC with almost 3 years of experience for a front end engineer

    I wanted to at least pose the question here to get others' thoughts and also to see if I'm overthinking all of this.

    Happy to provide further details in the comments as well.

    Many Thanks!

    submitted by /u/cscareerquestions14
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment