• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 3, 2018

    Big 4 Discussion - June 03, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Big 4 Discussion - June 03, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Big 4 Discussion - June 03, 2018

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big 4 and questions related to the Big 4, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big 4 really? Posts focusing solely on Big 4 created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big 4 Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - June 03, 2018

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    90 % of students in my CS program are hired 6 months before graduation. Salaries are not competitive. How?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 04:37 AM PDT

    This may come off more as a vent than an actual question, but this stuff irks me to no end. I get green with jealousy reading about my American counterparts who chase their dreams in the Bay Area, honing their interviewing skills and perfecting their resumes for the tech giants. If you work hard and impress the right people, you can cash in big money and live awesome lives. I have no trouble understanding why you get out of bed every morning. The US seems like the greatest country on Earth for ambitious people with hot blood running through their veins.

    I, however, I live in Scandinavia and doing my final year in a 5 year CS+MBA degree. The market dynamics here seem bizarre compared to the US. Open up any textbook in labor economics, and you can read plain as day that high labor demand generates higher wages. This force of nature is absent here, and I don't get it.

    My MSc program is a good example. We are ~150 students per year. The demand of new graduates from my program is high. 9 out of 10 students accept a job offer before Christmas in their final year. 1 out of 5 students accept a job before their final year. Companies are outbidding each other to book days for on-campus recruitment, making our student body a million dollar business. Each and every year, we are invited to about 60 different restaurant dinners by various recruiters who want to buy us food, wine, beer and liquor and get us talking.

    After we are hired, we work 46.33 hours per week on average, and average new grad salary is 66,800 USD. Nationwide average graduate salary for MSc is 52,800 USD, with a ~37.5 hour week average. This makes the hourly wage of my MSc 2.44 % higher than average MSc (for all fields) hourly wage. However, after you adjust for income tax, my MSc yields a -0,024 % lower hourly wage than average MSc.

    Where is this disparity coming from? How is it that I live in a country where companies invest so much resources into recruiting us, but so little much less into actually paying us? Is this a known phenomenon to any of you?

     

    I've pondered it a fair bit myself, and it always boils down to that I live in a part of the world where no one have balls to negotiate, and where the egalitarian culture is so strong that being paid well makes you evil.

    EDIT: A little anecdote to underpin my narrative of high demand. The application spamming I see on this sub is completely foreign to me. 50 applications and no internships? 100? 200? I've never heard of someone applying to more than 10 companies in a single internship season. We are all hired, every summer. "Every" student is fully booked for the next summer by the end of September, and it rarely takes more applications than you can count on one hand. I've sent seven applications in my life, and no, I'm not some kind of super student. I have no personal projects, just an average GPA and my previous internships. This is something you would expect to observe in a hiring market that is on fire.

    submitted by /u/engineerL
    [link] [comments]

    What is your lifestyle like?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 12:08 PM PDT

    A lot of the posts here deal with how much everyone is earning, but I haven't found a post about actual lifestyles, which is what really matters imo. A lot of my friends are from the Bay, where they drive old cars, have small houses, and seem to have a lower standard of living than my family from the east coast. However, I am moving to the bay in a few months and making a total comp ~170K. I'm not sure if my numbers are completely off but from my understanding: I will be making ~110K after taxes, which comes up to 9.1K / Month. Just a breakdown of how I plan on spending that: 600/month on food 150/month on gas 2000/month on rent 300/month on miscellaneous things 500/month on car payments

    For the year, this comes up to around ~40k, which means I would save around 70k for the year. This seems like a lot of money to be saving, especially as a new grad and I feel like this accumulates pretty fast, such that when I'm in my 30's I can comfortably afford a really nice car (even a ~100K car) and pretty easily afford a house payment.

    I'm not sure if I'm being unrealistic or missing out on some major expenses, so please feel free to let me know what other expenses you all have. Also, my friends' families might not be the norm, so what is your lifestyle like? This isn't limited to the bay, so it would be helpful if you specify your comp, location, and lifestyle.

    EDIT: For clarification, I am a new grad and when I was speaking of my friends, I meant their families (parents).

    submitted by /u/thecodemode12
    [link] [comments]

    Software Engineering in Australia

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 01:31 PM PDT

    I'm a software engineer that mainly specializes in .NET and JavaScript (mostly cloud/web) applications although I'm currently learning a lot about native Android development at the minute too. I'm 25 years old and a mid-level dev with four years professional experience. I'm from the UK but I'm considering emigrating to Australia next year (so I'll have five years professional experience by then). Has anybody done anything like this? And if so, could you provide me with any information that you think will be useful?

    I guess the main things I want to know are what's the visa situation like? Which cities are good for software engineers in Australia? Who are the best companies over there to work for? And what salary I should be aiming for in Australia?

    submitted by /u/LordBritishFellow
    [link] [comments]

    Using university assignments in portfolio?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 11:58 AM PDT

    Background:

    So I am hopefully a few months away from my bachelor in computer science, and from next week I will have a lot of free time on my hands so I am going to look for a job. Since I don't have my degree yet I think it would be good to have some example code. It will be my first developer job so I am a bit nervous, for that I want to prepare myself as good as possible.

    Question:

    Can I for the time being just put some interesting assignments I did for university on GitHub as example code while I am working on some new mini projects so I can already start applying for jobs?

    submitted by /u/TemporariAkkaunto
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone else find it uncomfortable to make friends at work? It's making it hard for me to do any honest networking for my career.

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 04:39 PM PDT

    I'm not a graybeard in the software industry, but neither am I very new. I have been working for about 10 years now. But I have a network (and probably also a perceived reputation) of an average junior of 2-3 years, and I want to improve my reputation and trust among people.

    Here's the problem: I have never had a large pool of peers to be with around work, and I also simply don't like making friends with people at work. There's usually only 2-3 people that I regularly work with at any given time. All the companies, except for one, had less than 20 people. It's not just about one particular company. No matter where I work, I have the same apathetic attitude about everyone else, outside of work-related concerns.

    Most of my friends are former classmates, and none are former co-workers. I always felt the workplace to be an uncomfortable setting to participate in social activities beyond small talk.

    I sometimes get some praise for my work, but not to the point where someone wanted to re-engage with me after leaving a job and tell me about another job I might be interested in. On the other hand, my close friends don't work in anything related to the software industry so they rarely have any good leads for jobs.

    So who else here is having the same problems? If I don't have any strong positive feeling about anyone at work, they can't have the same towards me, right? I feel like I have no choice but to do the "sales" type networking (which I don't prefer), as opposed to "natural" networking that develops from making friends. That approach just signals that you want something from them.

    submitted by /u/throwies11
    [link] [comments]

    What development environments do professional programmers use?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 07:17 PM PDT

    I was just wondering, with all these IDE's like visual studio or text editors set-ups like VS Code or Sublime Text 3, what are you guys actually using in your work?

    Do your employers require you to use a specific set-up to write code, or do you always use your own and just carry it from one company to another?

    submitted by /u/kennycastro007
    [link] [comments]

    Graduated with CS degree, Have job troubles

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 05:52 PM PDT

    I graduated roughly 6 months ago with a university degree in computer science with a 3.2 GPA. I thought things were going to go pretty smooth for me, but they haven't been. I'll admit I haven't been job hunting this whole time because I had to help my mother get onto a transplant list after she fell very ill. But now my loan repayments are coming in, I haven't had luck with the few interviews I've gotten in the past months, and I'm at the end of my rope.

    I live basically in rural Alabama (nowhere near huntsville mind you) and I don't have the money to move. There's very few programming opportunities near me and the ones that do exist I'm not qualified for. They expect me to have years of experience in like 20 different languages and frameworks and usually a secret clearance, when in reality I'm only decent at Java and SQL, having dabbled in some other things. I did get an internship but nobody seems to care. I could really use some advice guys.

    submitted by /u/Divallo
    [link] [comments]

    JP Morgan summer TAP to full time offer. advice?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 06:02 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    I am starting tomorrow and I need advice on how to get a fulltime offer after I am done. I am interning during the summer and graduate in the fall. Any tips?

    what worries me is that I have a non traditional background for this position. I have not taken any of the DS & A, in depth java, c++, or software development classes.

    submitted by /u/theprogrammingsteak
    [link] [comments]

    How productive are interns expected to be?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 12:20 PM PDT

    I graduate next year and I am just starting my first summer internship. I am about to start my second week and I only felt like I started to get somewhat productive towards the end of the first week. It took me a while to get up to speed reading through their code, as well as learning some tools and languages the team uses.

    submitted by /u/linuxuser90
    [link] [comments]

    If you're not supposed to leave your current job without having another job offer lined up, how do you get away with taking so many "sick" days for the job hunt?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 07:39 PM PDT

    These "sick" days usually referring to on-site or sometimes phone interviews for all the jobs you apply to.

    I have been through maybe about twenty company interviews on my last search. If I had been currently working at the time, my boss would not have tolerated taking "sick" days or more PTO for all those interviews. And a few other co-workers may get upset for them picking up the slack too.

    Also, you cannot always schedule them around lunch time, and even if that was possible that means I would not have time to eat lunch if I took my interview during that time. Especially if these have long coding exercises in the middle of the interview (I've taken 3-4 hour long interviews for some of them).

    So, I now get that it's bad to not have a job while job searching, which is something I only learned later in my career. But what else am I supposed to do to balance job hunting with working? And not raise suspicion for all the "sick" days?

    If you don't have a job you have less bargaining power at the interview, and explain why you don't have a job.

    If you DO have a job, you have to keep making up excuses to leave for an interview.

    And if you get caught on the job doing interviews, your boss will want to know why, and risk being fired.

    Job hunting is such a damn weird position to be in.

    submitted by /u/ExitingTheDonut
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a DB for a Local Retailer - Can it be spun to be similar to work experience?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 06:00 PM PDT

    Hello everyone. I'm a new grad coming out of Cal, and unfortunately I don't really have any internships under my belt. I've recently been given the opportunity to create a database for a local retailer (managing inventory, logging sales data, shipments, etc.), and since I have nothing else to do this summer I thought I might as well take it.

    The "project"/"job" involves creating a database with a GUI component that does things I described previously (haven't gotten an exact laundry list of things to implement yet), with potential visualization/projection options.

    Do you think this could be something that could be spun to be similar to work experience? I don't expect it to be "on par" with a formal internship, but is this something that's more on the project-side, or more on work experience-side? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/intentionalfeed4ever
    [link] [comments]

    I spent the last 7 years teaching English in Japan. Have I screwed myself for a CS career?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 05:02 PM PDT

    So, in 2011 I graduated Oxford University with a degree in computer science. I got the opportunity to move to Japan and study Japanese all expenses paid, so I decided to go for it. After a year my scholarship was up but I wanted to stay and learn more. Fast forward to 2018 and I'm still earning around 28k USD and I'm starting to realise at 28 that my career prospects might not be as hot as they once were. On the plus side I did learn to speak Japanese.

    If I move back to the UK, what should be me plan for getting a CS job? I've tried to get a few programming jobs in Japan but I haven't done very well. I didn't even get an interview at the local big tech companies. I did an internship at a local software company but I was way out of my depth, I basically didn't write any code in 2 months.

    I have done a few small side projects, but nothing to write home about. Setting up a podcast site with Hugo static site builder, making a mini SPA with react and firebase, that sort of stuff.

    submitted by /u/cscareergap
    [link] [comments]

    What things can I do at my new internship to help me land a full time job?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 11:50 AM PDT

    I'm graduating this week, and will immediately start working as a software engineer intern at a medium - large sized company in Los Angeles. I'm really excited as the job is a really great opportunity. During my interview with one of the executive directors who will be overseeing my team, he specifically mentioned that with each intern, they leave open a full time position at the conclusion of the internship. I know this is not a given thing and that I will have to work hard and prove myself to get a full time offer.

    This is my first job as a software engineer, and my first job in a corporate setting in my field of study, so it is all pretty new to me. I start next week, and would love to hit the ground running. If you have any advice on what I can do to help my chances of getting a full time offer it would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/jimontgomery
    [link] [comments]

    What to do when thrown to work on technology that you are not familiar with?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 02:35 PM PDT

    I am a java developer and have been rolled onto a project that will eventually build a java application. The requirements are still being gathered. In the meantime, the whole team as been tasked with supporting a different project that uses an entirely different tech stack. I am not at all familiar with the tech being used and am struggling daily on tackling even the most basic tasks.

    The client understands my skillset and there are no expectations for me to perform very well, this is just "intermediate stage" until the requirements are gathered. I am struggling very much with the tech stack and am very demotivated. How can I deal with this situation?

    I do not want to roll off this project because I like the office location and my team.

    submitted by /u/Hash-Basher
    [link] [comments]

    How to get a job with no official experience

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 04:24 PM PDT

    I am trying to get a front end web developer position and I have extensive skills with HTML CSS JavaScript I understand and really love vuejs and I have a beginner to intermediate level of knowledge working with phone/WordPress. I am trying to get any position to show them that despite my lack of a degree or past job experience I am very capable. Is this possible? And if so what steps would help me get closer to this goal? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Dh253
    [link] [comments]

    How do you deal with arrogant/difficult co-workers?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 12:18 PM PDT

    My team is located outside of my city, and I'm placed in the same space with the commercial team. One of their team leads pisses me off regularly, e.g complaining that my manager and my team lead both have an accent while herself having horrible Russian accent and her writing is even worse.

    Admittedly, sometimes there are things she does/says that make me feel challenged and I have an appropriate reaction (e.g starting new/side projects ) that which is good, but most of the time she plain pisses me off.

    How do you deal with this kind of people?

    submitted by /u/Okaloha
    [link] [comments]

    What is your advice to a senior in college?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 07:26 PM PDT

    As the title states I am looking for advice as to what to expect during my last year in college + after graduation.

    "Stuff" I am worried about:

    • Obviously unemployment

    • Not being "good enough" to employers

    • Not having enough projects under my belt

    • Receiving terrible offers, aside from unemployment

    • Not being paid average, or above average for starting salary in my area

    • When to start applying?

    • Should I be studying CTCI + Leetcode + doing an internship + project?

    submitted by /u/bakednarc
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone passed a technical round even if they couldn't answer a coding question right or finish?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 03:29 PM PDT

    If so, why do you think you passed?

    submitted by /u/questionmarkmark
    [link] [comments]

    When should I ask for equity?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 06:22 PM PDT

    I've been at this startup-like SAAS place for about 7 months now. There are technically five employees at the company: owner, team leader / manager, and three devs. However, we share the office with another of the owner's business whom we support. Normally, I would ask for a raise about now given the following:

    • I was able to switch to front-end work when our previous front-end developer left. We hired a new guy, but between ramp-up and an increased demand for front-end work, my flexibility helped us hit key deliverable dates.

    • I have been responsible for assigning work to our new intern and managing him. So far, I think we have been able to make better-than-expected progress and I've shown that I'm able to take on additional management-like responsibilities.

    That being said, the headhunters who got me into this place mentioned equity briefly, but it never came up again. Now that we are starting to make some bigger sales, I think now would be the time to get on board before the chance is lost. Is this the right move? How much should I ask for? I know they need me, so I have some leverage, but I also don't want to overplay my hand. If the company ends up with a 40 million valuation, a 3% stake looks really nice, but can I get that much? Can I get 5%? What is reasonable?

    submitted by /u/CSCQuestions121
    [link] [comments]

    [New Grad] Better to spend my time doing leetcode questions OR learning "HOT" technologies?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 10:51 AM PDT

    I'm a new grad & I spend my time working on leetcode questions. However, when I look at job openings on sites like Indeed - many entry level positions state that they are looking for someone who knows specific technologies that I haven't learned yet.

    What is the most effective way for me to allocate my time? Leetcode questions OR learning new technologies?

    submitted by /u/CSGraduate2018-NYC
    [link] [comments]

    Do software devs/trading systems developers get similar bonuses to traders at big HFT/prop trading/market making firms like Optiver/2Sigma/Virtu?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 04:11 AM PDT

    Hi,

    Been pondering this for a while because traders are known to get fat bonuses. Surely software devs are equally vital as traders so would the software devs/trading systems developers get similar bonuses to traders at big HFT/prop trading/market making firms like Optiver/2Sigma/Virtu?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/Dynamikeyz
    [link] [comments]

    Top places to work in Nashville, Tennessee?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 01:48 PM PDT

    I am keen on working in Nashville once I graduate - fun city that is located near my family and my SO's family. Any recommendations for top companies to work for? Thanks everyone

    submitted by /u/Theo4210
    [link] [comments]

    le wagon versus app academy and other us bootcamps

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 05:28 PM PDT

    le wagon has by far the best ratings for any bootcamp on coursereport and switchup while their program is shorter and less expensive than other top bootcamps. how does le wagon compare to other bootcamps like app academy, full stack academy?

    i know that le wagon is outside the US but that really isnt a factor right now (i know that it does have implications for the job search due to their local networks though, just looking at the overall programming learning experience)

    submitted by /u/FF430
    [link] [comments]

    Summer Conundrum

    Posted: 03 Jun 2018 04:22 PM PDT

    Hello all, I am entering my 3rd year of my 4 year CSE degree and unfortunately I was not able to secure a summer internship.

    Quick Background: I'm now home and my parents want me to get a minimum wage job to pass the time. I instead want to use this time to start a personal project that I can develop and hopefully add to my resume. I find this (in my opinion) to be a much better use of time as I think future employers will find a self-coded personal project much more impressive than busing tables. I hope to use this project to help get a MUCH needed CS internship next year (as a Junior).

    The Problem:

    I don't know where to start.

    I like to think of myself as a pretty component programmer, I go to a solid college and make good grades in my CS classes. I'm familiar with some advanced concepts and can learn languages fairly easy now (which I think is a good sign). I was thinking of maybe making an app, which seems like a classic "go-to" for personal projects. I have a PC, so I can jump through some hoops and download XCode, or develop something for Android, haven't quite decided.

    I just wanted to know what y'all would suggest as far as resources that might help in app development, most of the tutorials I have found are a bit simplistic, and I don't want to spend hours having someone tell me simple things like what the purpose of a function is, or what a for loop does.

    So do y'all know of any good ways to go about a solo personal app project and any good resources that may help in that dev process?

    Also, would y'all agree that a personal project is a better move for someone who is entering Junior year without prior CS job experience or internship than a minimum wage job for 2.5 months (which I did for 3 years in HS)?

    Thank you very much!

    TL;DR: Going to be a Junior, don't have a summer internship. Want to make an app instead (over summer), whats the best way to go about that, and will that help in getting an internship next year?

    submitted by /u/sterling757
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment