• Breaking News

    Monday, June 18, 2018

    Beginner Questions - June 15, 2018 web developers

    Beginner Questions - June 15, 2018 web developers


    Beginner Questions - June 15, 2018

    Posted: 15 Jun 2018 06:15 AM PDT

    If you're new to web development and would like to ask experienced and professional web developers a question, please post below.

    Etiquette

    • Remember, that questions that have context and are clear and specific generally are answered while broad, sweeping questions are generally ignored.

    • Be polite and consider upvoting helpful responses.

    • If you can answer questions, take a few minutes to help others out as you ask others to help you.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Unofficial r/webdev Discord

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 05:40 AM PDT

    u/snissn has created a Discord server specifically for r/webdev with quite a population already. Feel free to join us over at https://discord.gg/keD8rZp

    Please note that a similar code of conduct enforced on the r/webdev subreddit will be enforced by the moderators of the Discord as well. Use the appropriate channels when discussing topics and keep the spam to a minimum.

    submitted by /u/Mdude2312
    [link] [comments]

    With the new EU Proposals, are we seriously expected to implement an algorithm to check if everything submitted by users is copyrighted? That seems absolutely ridiculous?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 03:56 AM PDT

    I just read this comment here LINK

    I just can't believe how ridiculous this is that every website needs to do this and I noticed nobody is talking about it here.

    This is way worse than GDPR. Even the cookie law is dumb and extremely annoying, both as a developer and as a user, every time I go on a website i'm bombarded by pop ups about this shit

    submitted by /u/zergUser1
    [link] [comments]

    Came across this awesome code pen today. Try dragging the robots around and have some fun !

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 05:42 AM PDT

    Code Companion: A 100% free JavaScript course for complete beginners

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 02:16 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! I don't want to come off as spammy with regular, weekly posts in this sub so I thought I'd try one that gives a high overview of my latest project.

    Short version: Late last year I quit my job after 5 years of software engineering to pursue creating educational content full-time. Since then I wrote a book, The Angular Tutorial (digital and paperback on Amazon), and now I'm working on 100% free content teaching JavaScript to complete beginners.

    Longer version: I'm a self-taught software engineer that has been in the industry for the past 5 years working with companies like CNN, DirecTV, Turner Broadcasting System, NBC, Mazda, and more.

    I eventually got the itch to try and go the self-employment route so I quit my job and began working full-time on a book to teach a modern front-end framework and automated testing. The result was a 500 page book that teaches you to build fully-tested Angular applications using the CLI from scratch to deployment on Heroku.

    Now that I've finished that product (my primary income stream) I've decided to bridge a gap many people have asked me about: "What if I'm not ready for your book? I'm a complete beginner."

    That's where Code Companion comes in. It's my 100% free tutorial and screencast series targeted towards the complete beginner who wants to learn JavaScript and web development.

    To help you, I've also written a detailed blog post explaining who I am and why you should trust me if you want to learn how to program. The questions include:

    1. Who is this person?
    2. Do they have a resume with credible experience and projects?
    3. Do other people enjoy this person's tutorials?
    4. What is their teaching style? How are they different from other teachers?
    5. Are they committed to this project or will these tutorials stop coming in a month?

    If the self-taught part of my resume interests you, I made a screencast "How I Became a Software Developer" where I walk you through every job on my resume (I literally open my LinkedIn profile in the video) and tell you:

    1. How I got the job
    2. How I negotiated a job offer that doubled my salary overnight
    3. How to sell you and your skillet
    4. When it's worth taking a pay cut

    The advice in that video alone got one of my podcast/YouTube subscribers their first web development job which doubled their pay. The negotiation tips alone got them an extra $10k!

    If you want more details about me and my background checkout my post WTF is Code Companion.

    If you just want to get started learning JavaScript head over to my tutorials page.

    Let me know if you have any questions!

    submitted by /u/theadammorganshow
    [link] [comments]

    How is everyone working with SVG? In-line is reeaaaall clutter prone, but using img>src removes ability to style them. I’ve been including them via php and feel gross

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 10:09 PM PDT

    CSS Grid Generator with support for subgrids, template areas and legacy browsers (IE10+)

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 10:21 AM PDT

    What website should I use to get quotes for freelance web dev work?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 06:58 PM PDT

    I'm going to start a blog and am curious where I would go for this. Supposedly freelancer is 'a cesspool' according to other posts on reddit (albeit ones that are a few years old)

    submitted by /u/IS_JOKE_COMRADE
    [link] [comments]

    Quick walkthrough of how to properly structure js?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 03:42 PM PDT

    Hey guys, at this point I'm a pretty skilled developer but being self-taught I never really learned best practices, the projects I worked on were small enough that it didn't really matter but my newest project is a massive website and I need to structure my js properly as right now it is all over the place. I have both node and normal js files along with socket.io. I was looking at the module style of js which makes sense but I am really struggling to how to re-write my code as modules, I have stuff that needs to run on start up, stuff that reacts to socket.io, etc. Hope that makes sense I can clear things up a bit if needed.

    I tried to google it but it wasn't very helpful and I don't need a tutorial for js as a whole as I've used it a lot, any ideas where I can find a quick walkthrough?

    submitted by /u/TheFlyingPotato262
    [link] [comments]

    Dreamweaver Alternative

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 03:35 PM PDT

    I've been using Dreamweaver CS6 for years, I'd like an alternative that has a built in FTP program as well as color coded syntax.Any alternative exist?

    submitted by /u/lepslair
    [link] [comments]

    I suck at designing. Any advices?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 09:30 AM PDT

    I learn Javascript currently and I'm doing well, I know HTML well but the problem is that my designing skills are very poor which is CSS, like I don't know which colors to choose, don't know how to style buttons to be nice and simple, don't know how to make the website look good...etc

    Heck, I don't even know how to design something in real life. I'll be lying if I don't say that my designing skills are one of the worst. I mean look at this tribute page I made, I don't know about you but I feel that it lacks a lot of stuff that a nice attractive page has.

    Is there some advices or lessons or anything that help with this?

    submitted by /u/KiNgOfSpEEdOJaCK
    [link] [comments]

    Working directly off of integration or a feature branch?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 03:03 PM PDT

    Ok tell me if I am wrong but, isn't it crazy out of the 4 coworkers on my team none of them felt strongly that people should not be working directly on the integration branch?

    In this case it was actually a {feature}-prototype branch that multiple people needed to branch off of. And my first point its crazy to be working directly off a branch that you know other people are branching off of. They made the case "we did it last time and no problems". I also said that the branch name says "prototype" specifically and the prototype was the thing that that other guy did not the new pages we are making based on that.

    submitted by /u/catchingtherosemary
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best freelance site or app for one off web applications

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 02:32 PM PDT

    What is the best freelance finder/job app for finding freelancers who build web applications (for example calculators or design builders/ 'build your own_' tools)?

    I'm particularly interested in ones that cater to big brand employers and companies.

    submitted by /u/codeyCode
    [link] [comments]

    Links to JS files in 2018

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 01:55 PM PDT

    Hi all – noob question here.

    For my whole web career I've simply linked to scripts by placing them before the end of the body, or sometimes in the head of my document. My understanding is that this is seen as bad practice now (having to keep track of which script is linked first for conflicts, etc.).

    For somebody who just creates websites and not web applications, is this still a standard? Or should I look into making my scripts more modular? How? Any advice and knowledge would be very appreciated!

    submitted by /u/oopssorrydaddy
    [link] [comments]

    Pulumi – A new open-source cloud development platform

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 01:53 PM PDT

    What should I say when an interviewer asks me what my salary expectations are? I have no work experience in web dev, but have a STEM background and am transitioning into web dev/software.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 09:52 AM PDT

    Looking for a video regarding unrealistic expectations in job postings

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 01:36 PM PDT

    I cannot seem to be able to find this, but I believe it's a youtuber who does dev videos, and a younger viewer wrote in asking about an entry level position that required 4+ years of multiple languages.

    The video goes on to say that the people writing the job postings aren't developers, so they don't really know what they're looking for.

    submitted by /u/Soccer21x
    [link] [comments]

    How to protect against hacking a user role?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 01:36 PM PDT

    I'm writing in some security protections into my web app which will be used to limit which users can see which menu options. Mainly who is an admin or not.

    I'm baking the user role into the JWT so I'm not worried about that being hacked. However, how do a stop a semi-intelligent hacker from doing something like this:

    const userRole = this.authService.getUserRoleFromJWT(); // userRole = "Grunt"; this.allowAdminOnlyThing = (userRole === 'Admin'); 

    and hacking it to this:

    const userRole = this.authService.getUserRoleFromJWT(); // userRole = "Grunt"; this.allowAdminOnlyThing = (userRole === 'Grunt'); <- Hacked in Chrome 
    submitted by /u/angels_fan
    [link] [comments]

    SurveyMonkey confidentially files for IPO

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 01:35 PM PDT

    I made an online image resize tool, super simple to use.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 11:34 PM PDT

    What do you do about content creation?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 12:05 PM PDT

    I have a few small websites that I work on, that the owners don't provide any information. One recently, the client asked me to throw together a site, and only provided me with a list of services that his friend was looking to provide. Like, how do you turn that into substantial information? I need to do the same for my own site. I am not very good at talking about myself, so I find it hard to create any content.

    Who normally handles the copywriting on your sites?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Tuningislife
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone help me please. Noob here

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 12:03 PM PDT

    Going to make this short and quick.

    I own a website that allows people to sign up and form teams and play each other. Today a user signed up with fake info and somehow managed to rename all the team names to "fixyoursecurity"

    I have no idea where to start with this and im so lost and confused and worried about loosing my community on the site after working hard on it all.

    I am NOT the dev i only paid them to build it and so on and now they are of no help at all. Any ideas on what to do?

    submitted by /u/mkalaf
    [link] [comments]

    Broadcasting a webcam stream on my website

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 11:50 AM PDT

    Hi all, first time posting here. I'm looking for software to broadcast a weekly training session that uses my webcam to my website. I've tried zoom.us but I want it to be under my own brand, without my clients having to use Zoom. Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Hou5oflandcaster
    [link] [comments]

    Did you teach yourself how to code or did a mentor or school system teach you?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 11:46 AM PDT

    What am I doing wrong with Webpack?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 11:43 AM PDT

    This might belong elsewhere, but-

    For some strange reason, Webpack isn't outputting any files at all for me. All file paths are correct as far as I can tell, MyStyles.less is listed as a dependency in main.ts, and it only began having these issues when I tried adding the LESS handling. How should I proceed from here, what should I look for to debug this?

    webpack.config.js -

    const MiniCssExtractPlugin = require("mini-css-extract-plugin"); module.exports = { entry: "./Scripts/app/main.ts", output: { filename: "./Scripts/app/compiled_app.js" }, devtool: "source-map", resolve: { // Add '.ts' and '.tsx' as resolvable extensions. extensions: [".webpack.js", ".web.js", ".ts", ".tsx", ".js"] }, optimization: { splitChunks: { cacheGroups: { styles: { name: 'styles', test: /\.css$/, chunks: 'all', enforce: true } } } }, plugins: [ new MiniCssExtractPlugin({ filename: "./Content/MyStyles.css", }) ], module: { rules: [ { test: /\.ts$/, exclude: ['node_modules'], use: [{ loader: 'ts-loader' }] }, { test: /\.less$/, use: [ "style-loader", "css-loader", "less-loader"] } ] } }; 

    output:

    > cmd /c SET NODE_ENV=development&& webpack --color --display-error-details Hash: 2512347b752d2e0fb0d5 Version: webpack 4.12.0 Time: 28372ms Built at: 06/15/2018 4:12:22 PM Asset Size Chunks Chunk Names ./Scripts/app/compiled_app.js 1.26 MiB 0 [emitted] [big] main ./Scripts/app/compiled_app.js.map 5.92 MiB 0 [emitted] main [44] ./node_modules/ngx-modal-dialog/index.js + 5 modules 16.3 KiB {0} [built] | 6 modules [45] ./Scripts/app/services/telemetry-service.ts 3.11 KiB {0} [built] [61] ./Scripts/app/controllers/feedback-controller.ts 9.63 KiB {0} [built] [62] ./Scripts/app/controllers/static-controller.ts 2.01 KiB {0} [built] [63] ./Scripts/app/services/notification-service.ts 1.06 KiB {0} [built] [86] ./Scripts/app/controllers/landing-controller.ts 18.3 KiB {0} [built] [88] ./Scripts/app/controllers/scenario-controller.ts 30.6 KiB {0} [built] [190] ./node_modules/@angular/platform-browser-dynamic/esm5/platform-browser-dynamic.js + 1 modules 1.18 MiB {0} [built] | 2 modules [191] ./Scripts/app/controllers/main-controller.ts 4.17 KiB {0} [built] [192] ./Scripts/app/controllers/404-controller.ts 1.3 KiB {0} [built] [193] ./Scripts/app/routing.ts 2.17 KiB {0} [built] [477] ./Scripts/app/app.ts 3.11 KiB {0} [built] [481] ./node_modules/css-loader!./node_modules/less-loader/dist/cjs.js!./Content/MyStyles.less 43.4 KiB {0} [built] [482] ./Content/MyStyles.less 1.2 KiB {0} [built] [486] ./Scripts/app/main.ts 348 bytes {0} [built] + 472 hidden modules WARNING in ./node_modules/@angular/core/esm5/core.js 6570:15-36 Critical dependency: the request of a dependency is an expression at <snip for brevity and anonymity> @ ./Scripts/app/app.ts @ ./Scripts/app/main.ts WARNING in ./node_modules/@angular/core/esm5/core.js 6590:15-102 Critical dependency: the request of a dependency is an expression at ImportContextDependency.getWarnings <snip for anonymity @ ./Scripts/app/app.ts @ ./Scripts/app/main.ts WARNING in ./node_modules/@angular/core/esm5/core.js 6570:15-36 System.import() is deprecated and will be removed soon. Use import() instead. For more info visit https://webpack.js.org/guides/code-splitting/ @ ./Scripts/app/app.ts 9:13-37 @ ./Scripts/app/main.ts WARNING in ./node_modules/@angular/core/esm5/core.js 6590:15-102 System.import() is deprecated and will be removed soon. Use import() instead. For more info visit https://webpack.js.org/guides/code-splitting/ @ ./Scripts/app/app.ts 9:13-37 @ ./Scripts/app/main.ts WARNING in configuration The 'mode' option has not been set, webpack will fallback to 'production' for this value. Set 'mode' option to 'development' or 'production' to enable defaults for each environment. You can also set it to 'none' to disable any default behavior. Learn more: https://webpack.js.org/concepts/mode/ WARNING in asset size limit: The following asset(s) exceed the recommended size limit (244 KiB). This can impact web performance. Assets: ./Scripts/app/compiled_app.js (1.26 MiB) WARNING in entrypoint size limit: The following entrypoint(s) combined asset size exceeds the recommended limit (244 KiB). This can impact web performance. Entrypoints: main (1.26 MiB) ./Scripts/app/compiled_app.js WARNING in webpack performance recommendations: You can limit the size of your bundles by using import() or require.ensure to lazy load some parts of your application. For more info visit https://webpack.js.org/guides/code-splitting/ Process terminated with code 0. 
    submitted by /u/darthbob88
    [link] [comments]

    Which database to choose?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2018 11:34 AM PDT

    Hey,

    I'm unsure which type of database I should choose and I would like to hear some opinions. What I have:

    - loosely relational data

    - possibility to add/remove fields from existing data schemes (like in mongo for example) without much overhead (like backups)

    - en- and decoded data(binary files for example)

    - comes in as JSON

    - "large" data(up to 10MB per encoded file for example)

    - node.js backend

    Any suggestions? Since the data always is coming in as JSON, I would like to use something which can handle JSON easily. I would like to be able to add and remove fields from any db-scheme at any given time, without dealing with much overhead, since the data will change over time.

    Your suggestions? Thank you. :)

    submitted by /u/Fasyx
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment