• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 6, 2018

    An Amazing video about the psychology behind great games from a truly underrated channel. Show him some Reddit Love!

    An Amazing video about the psychology behind great games from a truly underrated channel. Show him some Reddit Love!


    An Amazing video about the psychology behind great games from a truly underrated channel. Show him some Reddit Love!

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 05:18 AM PDT

    A year ago I wrote my first ever line of code. Today, we are almost ready to release Space Unknown, our first completed game!

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 10:36 AM PDT

    Guilty about leaving on time

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 05:51 AM PDT

    Hey guys, am working in a AAA studio currently, and I've just had a Daughter (she's less than a year old)

    I guess I try to be as productive as I can over the day but I also want to be there to see my kid. And while there is work, I always put it down in favour of leaving on time (well sometimes I stay). As of late though I've been getting crushing guilt, as there is just a ton of work to do.

    The old me would gladly stay back and fight it out with the rest of the team. But I've noticed since her birth that I've been very unwilling. I Guess the tipping point came when someone went "OTing today?" And I said to which I got a sort of negative or a "you're so lucky" vibe.

    To my fellow devs who have managed to leave on time in favour of family, how do you guys cope with the guilt?

    submitted by /u/throwawayrandom84
    [link] [comments]

    The History of Bethesda Game Studios - Elder Scrolls / Fallout Documentary

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 11:08 PM PDT

    Interesting Pixel Art Tutorial Website

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 09:42 PM PDT

    rokon: A 3D engine using WebGL2, WebAssembly

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 09:30 AM PDT

    My friend is making a start-up game company, and is claiming that I will be “missing the opportunity of a lifetime” if I don’t join.

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 01:57 AM PDT

    A friend of mine has been programming for about 3 months now. He's almost done with his first game, and he's extremely excited to start a new project after he's finished.

    He's already seeing dollar signs, and he claims that he will be making the "next worldwide gaming phenomenon" and that he will be the "savior of the gaming industry". He's asked me to help him make his next game, claiming that it's his million-dollar idea, and that I would be a fool to pass up this tremendous opportunity.

    It's already sounding like a pyramid-scheme pitch to me. I think he's being unrealistic, especially since he's only been programming for a few months, but I keep asking myself "what if?" What if he does make it big? What if this is the next League of Legends or Fortnite?

    He's asking a lot from me. He says I need to keep working at my day job, but also work night-shift for 7 hours straight to contribute to the game. I wouldn't be getting paid for my time, and I would be thoroughly exhausting myself and living an unhealthy lifestyle to support my friend's lofty dream...But what if?

    He's made a fairly competent shoot-em-up game, and he seems determined. I would be devastated if he actually started to make money. For the rest of my life, I would remind myself that he offered me a chance to make millions, and I didn't take it.

    Should I feel pressured to help him out? Is it stupid to even entertain the idea since he's literally just starting to program, and he has very little experience?

    submitted by /u/OwOverboard
    [link] [comments]

    My son wants to grow up and develop video games one day!

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 10:50 AM PDT

    My son is 10 years old and last week he says one day he wants to make his own video games. I couldn't be more thrilled. Right now he's very into Pokemon so he sits in his room all day creating his own creatures with their own powers using legos or good ol fashion paper and crayons. He's got hundreds of these paper cutouts and he still remembers every single name and power, it's impressive.

    I want to encourage him best I can so he can hold onto his dream. I assume I need to do the whole "stay in school" spiel so he gets good grades but are there programs or camps in existence for children his age?

    submitted by /u/TheNextCompanion420
    [link] [comments]

    Why does Unity just use an .exe standalone while other engines use .dlls?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 11:35 AM PDT

    I was wondering why when you create a standalone game made in Unity, it's just an .exe typically, yet with other engines, like id Tech, or many other big AAA engines, they have an .exe with a ton of .dll files. Does anybody know more about this? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/yoyoyoCake
    [link] [comments]

    Agones 0.2.0 Released - Open Source Game Server Hosting, Now with Warm Fleets support

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 11:15 AM PDT

    What could have been Bioshock: A Great Look into The Development History!

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 08:41 AM PDT

    Steam Blog :: Who Gets To Be On The Steam Store?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 11:43 AM PDT

    Your prototype vs finished games ratio?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 06:24 AM PDT

    How many ideas/prototypes (in average) do you think you ditch or put on hold before you end up with an actual game that you release (or ready for release)?

    My ratio is pretty bad so I wanted to get other real experiences from other devs.

    For each prototype you stop working on and end up ditching, do you learn something from that experience? Or it just adds to your frustration because of not being able to finish the game? If you do learn, what things in particular a canceled game teaches you?

    submitted by /u/kkrac
    [link] [comments]

    Studio folk - how do you share Q&A knowledge?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 11:05 AM PDT

    Hey /r/gamedev,

    Question for y'all - how do you go about ensuring tribal and silo'd knowledge is accessible and shared out for new employees?

    I suspect, like most organizations, a great deal of pipeline, build, and dev information is shared between team members via distribution groups and email threads. While documentation serves its purpose with regards to getting people set up, configured, and producing work product, all of these questions that are asked and answered on threads end up as lost work product, the answers and knowledge limited to those originally on the email thread or forwarded recipients.

    Fantastic solutions to this silo'd knowledge that come to mind are things like Stack Overflow, which socialize the knowledge and allow a searchable and archived format for future employees to find answers to commonly asked questions or obscure solutions here and there, but SO is just one example and I'd like to ask the Reddit hive mind here how you've approached this challenge.

    Email is arguably archaic and closed off. Slack is great for immediate communication and discussion, but isn't great for archiving information. Documentation solutions such as Confluence and Sharepoint serve their purpose for documentation, but don't lend themselves to Q&A, though plugins are available. vBulletin style forums are an option, but one would argue why vBulletin makes more sense than something like Stack Overflow Teams / Stack Overflow Enterprise.

    So, while I have ideas and options, I figured I'd reach out here and appropriately crowd-source your experience - what approach have y'all taken to socialize tribal knowledge within your organizations?

    submitted by /u/dotalchemy
    [link] [comments]

    Ghost of a Tale: How an ex-DreamWorks animator made a Unity game

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 08:45 AM PDT

    Armory Engine Tutorial : Getting Started

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 06:56 AM PDT

    Interview: Cliff Harris on What it Takes to Become a Successful Game Developer

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 09:18 AM PDT

    Finally got the guts to try and learn, but no idea where to begin

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 12:22 PM PDT

    I have always wanted to get into game development, but I'm a dude in my early 30s with a busy work schedule and 0 programming/coding/gamdev experience, and figured I'd never have time to make anything worthwhile. But I've spent all week playing a game called Cultist Simulator, a game that is visually simple and that is interacted with through clicking and dragging alone, but is also engaging, complex, and replayable. I'm not dragging the game at all or saying it was easy to make, but it's shown me that you don't need to make a 3D game to create a compelling experience.

    So I want to try to learn, I want to see what I can make here. I haven't written up any design documents yet, but I'm thinking I'll want to start by making something mostly text-based, where I'd click on a picture of a location to explore it, then just get a text description of what happens, with choose-your-own-adventure style options. But not a pure visual novel/interactive fiction piece. The player character would have stats, an inventory, etc.

    But I have no idea where to start engine or code wise, if Unity or Gamemaker would be a better choice, etc. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm totally lost here with all the options.

    submitted by /u/DoctorLocrian
    [link] [comments]

    Outline for 2d Sprite consisting of many single sprites

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 12:20 PM PDT

    Hey, I search for a shader which is capable to draw a outline of a 2d Sprite, which consiting of many single sprites. I searched a lot but i can not find anything like this. Maybe you could help me to find a good solution.

    Thanks Rene

    submitted by /u/dr4nger91
    [link] [comments]

    Bitmask - why, how and when

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 12:18 PM PDT

    Leverage Patreon to fund game development. I interviewed a developer who is using Patreon like a subscription service to get consistent funding. Thought the community might be interested.

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 12:07 PM PDT

    Where can I get feedback for beginner pixel art?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 12:07 PM PDT

    See title. I'm trying to start making my own art for games but would like some feedback. I've looked around on several different sites, but I haven't found many forums yet that look very active and are for beginners.

    If anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/CrowsOfWar
    [link] [comments]

    Discovering Online Mentions of Your Game?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 11:36 AM PDT

    I'm curious how other game developers keep up with mentions of your games online. Since there are so many places that mentions can pop-up, e.g. from social media like Twitter or Facebook, to video platforms like YouTube or Twitch, to gaming sites like IGN or Gamespot, to image-hosting sites, to discussion forums, to personal blogs in all sizes, and so on - How do you find out that someone has mentioned/reviewed/critiqued/played your game?

    Currently I am manually searching YouTube, Twitch and Google regularly, in the hopes of discovering new articles or videos about the game that I am working on - but this is hugely inefficient, not to mention a quite tedious task!

    So how do you guys discover mentions of your game?

    submitted by /u/De-Bock
    [link] [comments]

    Electrical engineer to Game Developer?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 11:30 AM PDT

    Hey everybody,

    I hope this finds you all well. I made this post to get some insight and opinions from people with more/different experiences than me.

    I'm a 22 year old Electrical Engineering student. Got my first internship last year which was supposed to be only hardware related. A few months in, it evolved into a lot of coding and much less hardware tasks.

    I had already learnt Java in school at that time, but had never seen myself as a developer. However, for the rest of my internship, I would not want to do any other tasks than code (it was Python which I had to learn on the fly).

    After spending a year at my workplace, I was burnt out from the whole corporate office kind of environment, and was like "Okay, I need to work from home after graduation". Except for the occasional days, where the work was not monotonous and there were actually cool problems to solve, only then I would stop counting the minutes that are left before I head home, and stay late instead.

    I kind of drifted away from my love for electrical engineering, and fell in love with coding. And that's when it hit me! All I do in my life is game (played MMOs for as long as I can remember) and code, and I would love to start developing games, I would love to stay late in a team working on a cool game or so. But what I would love the most is to develop some indie games from home. That would be amazing! The freedom of not being constrained with office hours and cubicles and desks.

    My 2 questions are: How realistic is it, that a guy who has no computer science background actually land a job at a AAA studio someday?

    And how realistic is it to live off of indie games that are solo developed? At least for a small period after graduation.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Madarellik
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment