• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 6, 2018

    I just finished "A Smarter Way To Learn JavaScript"! web developers

    I just finished "A Smarter Way To Learn JavaScript"! web developers


    I just finished "A Smarter Way To Learn JavaScript"!

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:46 AM PDT

    I feel like I achieved so much in the space of a few days.

    Do any of you guys have recs for other books I could read for more programming experience? I know HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but I'd like to learn a back-end language.

    submitted by /u/blackteadiaries
    [link] [comments]

    Instagram API

    Posted: 06 May 2018 02:34 PM PDT

    Hello guys,

    do I understand that right that it is no longer possible to use Instagram's REST API to request another user's content? Apparently you can only request the media posted by the user who created the API key...?

    Is that some kind of joke? I only intend to get the posts made by a public page (they want an integration for their website...). I could just write a scraper now but that's completely stupid.

    Greetings

    submitted by /u/roconf
    [link] [comments]

    The npm Blog — Reported malicious module: getcookies

    Posted: 06 May 2018 03:36 AM PDT

    A few days late, but here's how to make the Star Wars opening crawl in HTML/CSS

    Posted: 06 May 2018 03:40 PM PDT

    What's the best react course on udemy?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 01:08 AM PDT

    I see that there are many react courses on udemy. Which one is the best for someone who is new to the framework?

    submitted by /u/ScratchTrackProds
    [link] [comments]

    IF I need some low traffic simple Wordpress sites up for small business clients, should I host for them on DO with their own droplet, or ask them to sign up themselves and give me their username and password?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 11:10 AM PDT

    Option A would be easier for the clients who don't have time for this kind of thing so I could charge a bit more, but option B removes all hosting liability from me (big as I am unlimited liability) and puts it all on DO's deal with the client. I just need some basic Wordpress themes up for like "yourlocalpizza.com". Client could register their names themselves on namecheap too, which they would have to do themselves anyway. Really I just need simple sites to throw a PDF menu on and a banner with their logo, some blog posts about how great they are.

    submitted by /u/CollectableRat
    [link] [comments]

    Wordpress site - Polylang slowing it down a lot

    Posted: 06 May 2018 02:52 PM PDT

    Hello fellas,

    I am working on a website with 2 languages. I've built it using layers WP (can only recommend).

    For the second language I installed the plugin 'polylang' and set up everything. Unfortunately polylang is slowing down the pagespeed enormously and I just can't figure out why.

    There are currently a few other plugins installed beside polylang, which don't affect the speed at all (all-in-one wp migration, wordfence, cf7, cf7 honeypot, wps hide login, wp super cache).

    Once I deactivate polylang the site is back to super fast loading speed.

    In the console - network you can see once you click a link on the website the status is 'pending' for at least 3 seconds. Once polylang is deactivated the status 'pending' lasts for maybe .5seconds. Something seems to be wrong with link redirection?

    Any idea what I am missing here? A setting or something? Is it just that polylang is shit? I've been reading about it and did only find good stuff about it.

    If you have any further questions, let me know please!

    Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/fk_the_system
    [link] [comments]

    How do Companies Like Reddit Structure Their Code base?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 01:38 AM PDT

    Title says it all really.

    submitted by /u/CoolByDesign
    [link] [comments]

    I'd like to build a website for a loved one as a gift for their birthday. I have questions.

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:39 PM PDT

    He has this idea of owning his own energy company one day, and I'd like to build a website for him depicting a fictitious company that he runs. I'm thinking the layout would be something like Coca Cola's main website where it clearly depicts what kind of company it is and what their products are, but the website doesn't sell them directly to consumers. Just something to show off.

    1. What domain registration sites can I use that have super-cheap prices?

    2. How can I share my code with others online to get feedback on how to improve my website in X, Y and Z areas?

    Any other advice for this would be great!!

    submitted by /u/NotARestaurantLackey
    [link] [comments]

    I have not been able to locate any complete resources for learning ecommerce development. Any suggestions?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 08:43 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I have been learning and practicing web development for the last few years. Though I do not yet have any professional experience, I am looking to finally change that this year and make a push to either get a job in the field or do some freelance work. Overall I am comfortable with what I know for most basic purposes and have a pretty well-rounded skill set: HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, a little bit of Bootstrap. Before I really put myself out there, I would really like to learn about developing ecommerce projects.

    I have searched into this several times and the only resources I come across are advertisements for ecommerce platforms like Shopify and, at best, building a Wordpress ecommerce site. Building a Wordpress store is great and I really should gain some experience in Wordpress in general but I would really like to be able to do it from scratch (with the exception of maybe using a payment processing platform). Even while getting my Associate's degree, we never touched on ecommerce. It is such a ubiquitous topic, I am surprised educational resources are not more prevalent. I have some ideas for a solution but, an ecommerce store is not something I am comfortable learning via blind trial and error. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am not picky about the format. Whether it is online, ebook, or physical book. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/fightingsleep
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best Vue course on udemy?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 03:09 PM PDT

    Devilbox 0.14 released (Docker LAMP stack): automated SSL certificate generation (signed by CA) for full HTTPS support

    Posted: 06 May 2018 02:24 AM PDT

    Flexbox fallbacks for popular UI solutions that use CSS Grid.

    Posted: 06 May 2018 05:00 AM PDT

    What is your favourite compile-to-js programming language?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 08:41 AM PDT

    Add css file to web inspector?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:22 PM PDT

    Hi Guys,

    Not sure if this is the place to ask but I'm working on a Shopify site that I don't have admin access to at the moment so I can't link to a CSS file at the moment.

    Rather than adding the CSS in the inspector for each element,is there a way to force the web inspector to use a css file I create and link to it?

    Hope that makes sense.

    submitted by /u/Peeekay
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth supporting Firefox?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 11:42 AM PDT

    I work for a major publisher. Ad-blockers are starting to hurt our revenue big time.

    Our manager said that we should optimize by the order of average revenue per user. The browser with highest revenue per user should be optimized the most. Firefox is almost at the end of the list. I tried telling him that the people who use adblockers are likely to share more content, which brings in non-adblock users. However, that is also falling apart as adblock users are bringing other adblock users.

    Chrome and Safari are our highest priority because of this. Firefox is like at the bottom of the list. I still have the chance, and I dont want to leave Firefox :(

    What would be an argument that you think would be valid at this point? Obviously a business requires money to keep running. We tried putting anti-adblock notices, but an adblocker used by Firefox users mostly bypasses our measures.

    Ad reinsertion solutions exist for Chrome, but they also dont support Firefox.

    We're doing a redesign now. Manager says that we should just discourage the users of Firefox (not optimizing for Firefox, and poor UI) from visiting our website as they bring a loss.

    submitted by /u/FineHub
    [link] [comments]

    The parallel between the Either monad and the JS Promise

    Posted: 06 May 2018 11:27 AM PDT

    What's wrong with CSS-in-JS?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 11:16 AM PDT

    Difference Between Polymer Project and Stencil?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 11:01 AM PDT

    I am trying to build a embeddable reusable web widget that pulls data from an API and displays it. The data updates every few minutes so I wanted something reactive. Does any one know the difference between the two? Or thought on why one over the other?

    submitted by /u/johnkarlos2343
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I find illustrations like this?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:56 PM PDT

    Need some help with React App

    Posted: 06 May 2018 05:21 AM PDT

    Hi guys I am back again. Last time I posted my first React app here for some criticism https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/8fuhx3/my_first_ever_react_app_took_many_hours_to_make/ I did update the app with the help of you guys suggestions but now I'm stuck where my app loads with empty template which I want hide it somehow. I couldn't figure out how to do it. I tried to do with lifecycle methods but ended up with full of confusion. Here is the repository in github. https://github.com/AdiBev/Weather-App

    To be more precise I need this template of the app https://github.com/AdiBev/Weather-App/blob/master/src/WeatherAppTemplate.js to be hidden until the app fetches the data. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you :) edit: Added more info

    submitted by /u/Rubyfast
    [link] [comments]

    Why the hell aren't my images Optimized? What am I doing Wrong?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 08:58 AM PDT

    I Resized and compressed all images before uploading them to my Wordpress Affiliate Marketing Website.

    At 1st I scored 100 on PageSpeed, but I did some more tests after that, and my score dropped.

    So, I replaced every image with the ones PageSpeed optimized for me, in that blue link with something along the lines of "Download your optimized images for your website", under your results.

    So I did that, replaced every one of my Images with the ones Google themselves gave me, and then I ran the PageSpeed tests again. At first got 100, but later they again say they still need optimizing.

    Tried a few Image Optimizing Plugins like "EWW Image Optimizer" but nothing.

    Is this something related to "FTP", File Transfer Protocol?

    I'm on a Namecheap shared hosting server, and I'm fully aware that beacuse of that, my web server speed varies, so my goal isn't to score 100.

    My goal is to completely max out everything outside of that, meaning CSS, picture optimization, etc. If I get a score of 80/90, but it says all picture, and code, etc are optimized, I'm happy.

    I just don't want anything in my control to not be completely finished.

    So I just finished removing every single image from my website and I have a fresh folder with all images in their original size, and without compression.

    Now I was thinking that maybe Pagespeed couldn't optimize my images properly because they were already compressed? (One of the things I noticed was that the Images PageSpeed optimized for me, were actually bigger than the original images that were in my website in the first place, that were already optimized)

    So maybe I should insert these originals, and then the ones PageSpeed optimizes for me will be optimized for good?

    Just to recap I'm using Elementor for Wordpress on a Namecheap shared hosting server.´

    Help?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/VeinyMeat
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions on development server configurations?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 08:56 AM PDT

    So, I've been playing with a Ubuntu Server on a Digital Ocean droplet for a while, but I haven't really messed with the config besides following the tutorials to secure the droplet. I also have not given it a domain, as I don't really want this to be public yet. Not sure if this is bad/good, but if I don't need it for now, I don't want to mess with it. I realize till now I've been treating this as kind of a remote localhost, which may very well be a sledgehammer where a mallet will do.

    Up till now, I've been testing my small web projects by dropping a folder in the /var/www/html folder, applying the appropriate permissions and navigating to it with XXX.XX.X.XX/MYTESTSITE. This has mainly worked fine up until now, but I've been playing with a Wordpress site and the way that Wordpress handles doesn't seem to play well with this.

    So, my question is can someone point me to a good overview or tutorial on how to set up multiple sites/host on a VPS? Do I need a domain? Can I get by with just my IP for now? In an ideal world, I'd like to configure several different aps/sites which would all be accessible to me or other at something like XXX.XX.X.XX/mysite1, XXX.XX.X.XX/mysite2 etc. I assume this is feasible, but I'd like to know if this is OK practice?

    Thanks in advance. N

    submitted by /u/nizzok
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment