• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 6, 2018

    Big 4 Discussion - May 06, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Big 4 Discussion - May 06, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Big 4 Discussion - May 06, 2018

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big 4 and questions related to the Big 4, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big 4 really? Posts focusing solely on Big 4 created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big 4 Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - May 06, 2018

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is PHP really as bad as it's made to be?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 03:49 PM PDT

    I am asking from a career point of view. I keep hearing negative things like:

    1. PHP is a dying language
    2. PHP jobs are low-paying
    3. PHP jobs mainly exist because of Wordpress
    4. PHP means you're working with old legacy code

    You get the idea. But from what I hear PHP has come a long way and frameworks like Laravel have positive remarks. PHP is also the most used back-end web language in the world.

    Anyways if your job was a developer working with PHP are you pigeonholing yourself? Are these negative stereotypes mostly true?

    submitted by /u/dotobird
    [link] [comments]

    Did anyone begin their career in their 30s?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 08:13 AM PDT

    Any success story's??

    Will be graduating at 34, & while I know gaining employment won't be impossible, I am also realistic & know starting my career at such a late age wont ever go in my favour.

    Hearing about others in a similar situation who prevailed against the odds lol, would help get me out the funk I'm in I think.

    submitted by /u/Subotai__
    [link] [comments]

    MS CS grads from foreign countries, how hard is it to find a job nowadays?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 06:37 AM PDT

    A lot of my friends are on the same path, and I see them going nuts on LinkedIn over any recruiter even looking their way. Is it really that bad?

    submitted by /u/rampant_juju
    [link] [comments]

    Who comes up with these questions?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:39 PM PDT

    Have any of you guys ever wondered who comes up with the hard/medium Leetcode problems? I've always thought to myself if it's just one old guy who's retired and just spends his time designing hard coding problems all day long, or if it's a large committee of Computer Science Professors who designs the questions. Either way, how much of a genius do you have to be to come up with these brain teasers? Anything beyond printing "Hello world" is difficult enough of a problem for me to design let alone some of the questions you see on Leetcode/Hackerrank.

    submitted by /u/twintowersrubble
    [link] [comments]

    Tips to get started freelancing while working a full time job?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 01:35 PM PDT

    Is it even possible? What are your experiences?

    submitted by /u/Serious_Elderberry
    [link] [comments]

    When you accept a job is there an expectation that you are putting in 100% effort at the job?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 10:03 AM PDT

    This question comes from a conversation I had in another thread.

    Say you can work at 50% effort and get the same amount of work done as the rest of your team. So each SWE can get around 20 story points done per sprint, but in reality you can get 40 if you actually put in the effort. Effort doesn't mean overtime, it means a normal 40 hour week.

    So it takes the rest of the team 40 hours to get done what you can do in 20 hours. Thus you are not performing any worst than the rest of your team, but also not to your full potential.

    Proving it won't be easy, but if you suddenly see a sustained drop in team velocity and/or production out of this person there is a bread crumb that you can investigate.

    • Should this be acceptable and if you are caught doing this should there be repercussions?
    • Is it ethical to only put in the bare minimum effort to not get fired?

    EDIT:

    Instead of literally 100% effort lets say: maximized effort per sprint to get things done where nobody works overtime or feels schedule pressure, but at the same time not purposely committing to less then we know we can do as a team.

    submitted by /u/diablo1128
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have a crisis of motivation after they graduated?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:05 PM PDT

    I graduated about 6 months ago and I have absolutely no clue what to do. I've got my BS in CS and now I'm completely aimless. I'm still in the military and I have a while left before I'm out, so at least I'm employed, but I just don't know what direction to go. I used to think that I wanted to write software, or maybe some Red/Blue team type stuff, but I don't know anymore. I feel like there's just so much to learn and after getting my degree, I just feel spent. It's almost to the point that I don't even know if I want to continue in the field. I know it sounds lazy but it's not easy to have a full time job, a family, a hobby that I love (music) and also squeezing in time to learn a trade.

    submitted by /u/Ass_Dragon
    [link] [comments]

    Asking for time off during first summer internship

    Posted: 06 May 2018 01:50 PM PDT

    I have my first internship this summer and it pays really well. I just have something during the summer I usually like to do which would require me to take 3-4 days off within a few weeks of starting the internship. I really do not want to hurt my chances of an offer or the company not liking me because I take time off at the start. What are the thoughts on asking for time off during a summer internship? Does anyone have experience with this type of situation? is there a certain way I should approach it to make the company feel like they can tell be that I shouldn't take x amount of time off. I also do not want to hurt my learning experience during the summer. Thanks for any information!

    submitted by /u/TheAbortedPancake
    [link] [comments]

    Projects just don't seem to matter

    Posted: 06 May 2018 02:53 PM PDT

    Or maybe, the elephant in the room that no one wants to mention, my projects aren't that interesting and worth discussing.

    But the weird thing is, almost all of the take-home tests and interview questions I get are roughly what my projects already involve: basic CRUD stuff + architecture + design with maybe a library or two thrown in that actually makes it different (e.g., an NLP library that just takes and stores parse results instead of another todo app).

    I actually haven't had any direct questions about any of my projects out of a handful of phone/in-person interviews.

    Do I have to turn these into real websites (domain/cert/hosting) and pay fees just to legitimize them? Or do I just need more buzzwords attached to make it worth my time?

    (I should note I really only do personal projects to explore stuff and teach myself new things or just hash out an work-related idea. I've always been much better off helping other people realize their visions and coming up with my own, so there aren't any labors of love projects).

    submitted by /u/TightCounterculture
    [link] [comments]

    currently an ETL Developer...what can I do to make myself more valuable?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 06:47 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    I just started my career as an ETL Developer right out of college and I wanted to know how can I make myself more valuable? I know SSIS and SQL right now and I am learning Informatica but what else should I learn?

    Should I look into learning hadoop? spark? My company would probably be okay to pay for any training and I really want to make myself more valuable so any help would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/LordCommanderStannis
    [link] [comments]

    Qualcomm New Grad - Layoffs?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 03:36 PM PDT

    I am a new grad starting at Qualcomm soon. Is it too risky to go work there since they are doing layoffs?

    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/qualcomm-starting-layoffs-after-failed-broadcom-acquisition-2018-4

    submitted by /u/Qualcomm_kid
    [link] [comments]

    Michigan / Detroit Metro Job Market

    Posted: 06 May 2018 03:12 PM PDT

    What's the current outlook on the Metro Detroit (or really just Michigan in general) job market?

    Anybody have any experience building a career there?

    submitted by /u/curiouscat321
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: remember that a lot of programmers are cost centers, so tailor your advice accordingly.

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:31 AM PDT

    Suggestions like "Show metrics explaining how your work contributed to the bottom line" are not really helpful to a lot of programmers. Many of them don't write software that, when changed, directly affects sales or customer retention. Sometimes it is only the sales team's job to bring in the cheddar.

    And especially in web agencies, one of the best examples of being a software cost center. Some of these places don't even care, but this is only with the shitty ones. The shitty companies only care about closing the sale, and for the deliverables, they're just like "whatever, let's just do the minimum". Here's an actual quote from a negative review of a place I worked at: "Since launching, we've only gotten two follow-up emails. They do not care about your site or project, they only care that you pay up.... We've had to spend almost [large sum] with an other firm to fix the terrible job [company] did with our site architecture that had our site's search engine traffic drop by 40% after launch."

    So remember that many developers are stuck with these jobs. And telling them to produce some positive metrics that cannot be produced in their current position is just inconsequential to their work.

    submitted by /u/ccricers
    [link] [comments]

    Best route to work in machine learning?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:56 PM PDT

    I'm a second-year CS major at a (relatively prestigious, but not for CS) school. I know machine learning is the new big thing that everyone wants to get into, but I really enjoy the linear algebra and stuff at the abstract level (if I did it all over again, I might have just been an applied math major)

    This summer I'll be doing a big 4 internship (database stuff, not ML) which will hopefully open more doors for me in the future. What else can I do?

    submitted by /u/import_FixEverything
    [link] [comments]

    moving from bay area to denver at same pay

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:41 PM PDT

    i currently make ~105k base/ 140k total comp in bay area. i been working ~ 2 years

    i have opportunity to move to denver area sometime next year. (it's actually the suburbs near highlands ranch, centennial, more specifically)

    company has decided to keep my pay the same, all benefits the same, and pay for all relocation cost. and obviously keep position/job detail the same.

    from what I've been seeing, 105k in this area of CO is the equivalent to 150k - 180k in the bay area. this is from me using the cost of living adjustment calculators after searching "cost of living calculator" into google search results.

    idk how correct these adjustments are, but it's effectively a very large pay bump.

    can anyone weigh in on the CoL adjustment?

    is there any reason to not take this? i said yes to moving, because the only obligation I have after moving is staying for 1 year. I feel like the effective pay bump would give me large negotiation advantage if I were to go back to CA. this is mainly from my knowledge of large companies and how mechanical their valuation process is.

    i also have no attachments to CA; maybe I'll like CO. certainly would be able to snowboard more.

    my only hangup is that I have a 3yr and my girlfriend has her entire family here. im thinking about taking a trip to CO to explore, and maybe convince her. (ive never been there either)

    submitted by /u/DontWantToGetCucked
    [link] [comments]

    Career prospects with degree from other countries?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 12:38 PM PDT

    Hi all, I'm an Irish/American citizen will dual citizenship. I'll be graduating next year with a degree from UL in Ireland. I'm just wondering if that will hinder my chances of getting a job in the US, favourably New York? Basically, is there a bias to US colleges? For context, I've an internship done in Intel for a year and a GPA of 3.7. Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Briawrz
    [link] [comments]

    How difficult is it to work in the USA being a Canadian citizen?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 11:22 AM PDT

    Hello,

    It's my dream to work in California when I graduate from my CS degree. I'm going to be transferring to a top school in Canada where I plan on finishing my CS degree. How realistic is it to be able to work in California eventually in my career?

    submitted by /u/I-AM-A-TOWTRUCK
    [link] [comments]

    Which route to go for the most money?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 07:48 PM PDT

    This is not something I plan on doing unless I actually like the route itself, so please don't criticize me for asking the question like the reddit hive mind would. Anyways, I'm a high school student approaching my senior year, and I plan to go to my local University for a Bachelors in CompSci. Anyways, I want to start working towards my goal so I'll be ahead of my competition by the time I graduate. What route would somebody like take to earn the most money in the field, and how would I start working towards it now if I choose to?

    submitted by /u/jakepaulerforlife
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to talk about my experience in a subject when I haven't used it professionally?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 07:45 PM PDT

    A lot of the jobs I'm going for require SQL, for example. I have experience using SQL for personal projects but not in a professional setting. I consider myself quite good, as I was able to always easily answer SQL related interview questions, but it always seems to be marked against me that I haven't used it in a professional setting. Any advice for situations such as this? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/TangoCJuliet
    [link] [comments]

    Which of the emerging fields will become a dominant force in greater IT?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 07:42 PM PDT

    Data Science, AI/Machine Learning, VR, IOT, 3D Printing, and maybe Robotics come to mind as examples of up and coming fields (well data science is already here), I probably missed a few other options.

    Is the trajectory of any one of them showing signs of being a bigger deal and possibly larger in size and scope than the others? I'm looking for a side interest as a web developer, something that doesn't need to benefit me now but may turn out quite handy later. Frankly if I had the time I'd do them all (I just love tech in general) but pragmatically I will focus on one area so I can go deep.

    submitted by /u/seands
    [link] [comments]

    Bad communication = hard to get a job?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 07:36 PM PDT

    Hello, im currently doing my cs degree and im worried about the future.. something im insecure about is my speech.. i cant really pronounce the "s" sound.. and i think it will be harder for me to find a job.. Do you guys think its gonna be hard to find a job as a Se if my pronounciation arent very good? Will it be impossible to find a job? thanks for helping me..

    submitted by /u/DuckSwift
    [link] [comments]

    Guys, I need your advice

    Posted: 06 May 2018 07:33 PM PDT

    So to make things short, I just graduated in CS last year and I currently work at UPS as a Software Co-op for $20/hr (part-time, so 20 hrs only). My contract expires Aug as I am given only 6 months of Co-op (possible renewal). So here's the thing, a co-worker who is in my team has been there before me for about 9 months or so and he does full time currently, although he is leaving end of Aug for his PHd program. So my team (this includes others such as a Lead developer and project manager and another full time employee) thinks I am going to be there to take over that co-worker's spot and (work possibly full time but still $20/hr, assuming if I get a renewal in Aug.). However, my problem is that by that time comes I need to pay my student loans and can't make a living out of it. Btw, the people in my team are very nice that I feel bad to think to possibly leaving them. So to get to the point, I might be offered a job at these companies (through connections I know): 1. Bank of America 2. Citi 3. Morgan Stanley 4. JP Morgan 5. Moody

    So I want to know if I should leave UPS for another company? Like, can anyone tell me their experiences and how each company is like, what are the benefits, working conditions, etc? Please let me know if you don't understand something. I would gladly help clarify.

    Thank you so much.

    submitted by /u/highlander21
    [link] [comments]

    I got offered a position with a salary 13% lower than other positions. I wan't to take it and need advice on how to ask for more money.

    Posted: 06 May 2018 01:35 PM PDT

    Hello /r/cscareerquestions. I got offered a job yesterday with a local company (company A) and the pay is in the $50,000 range for a full-stack position. I have 2 years of experience but I'm a new grad and it seems to be affecting my offers. Companies are focusing on the new grad part of my resume and not the 2 years of full stack development and my personal projects. I live in central California and other positions from companies nearby are in the $60,000 range.

    I have interviewed with another company (company B) 4 times and they are calling me Monday for yet another interview. I plan on telling them I have been offered another job and that I won't be taking anymore interviews without an offer. They said they really like me and I almost had an internship lined up last year with them, but they said I had too much developer experience. This may seem harsh, but this company has been completely wasting my time and shows no respect towards me, my time, or my quality of work.

    I was hoping to hear an offer from company B and ask for more money from company A if company B offers more money. Company A is local, so I wouldn't mind if it isn't an exact match, but the gap is quite big between what the two companies are offering entry level developers.

    Does asking for more money sound smart? Are signing bonuses a thing? This isn't my first time negotiating pay, but I've never dealt with a company of this size. My last job was with a startup that offered me less money but had stock options which was nice.

    The offer from company A was simply a casual over the phone offer and they told me we will talk about it more on Wednesday. My phone call with company B is tomorrow. Any advice would be great, I really appreciate your help.

    submitted by /u/justaskingacsquestio
    [link] [comments]

    Will a Computer Programming degree "be enough"?

    Posted: 06 May 2018 07:30 PM PDT

    I live in ATL and the only related CS degrees I can find are this one from Atlanta Tech which is actually a Computer Programming 2-year Technical degree...

    OR...

    Georgia Tech which has actual CS and $18,000/year and ain't nobody got cash for dat!

    If I go the Atlanta Tech route, are my career prospects still as good as any?

    submitted by /u/AdenDark
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment