• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 10, 2018

    Showoff Saturday Today: Share your portfolios and projects for fun and feedback. web developers

    Showoff Saturday Today: Share your portfolios and projects for fun and feedback. web developers


    Showoff Saturday Today: Share your portfolios and projects for fun and feedback.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 06:55 AM PST

    On Saturdays, portfolio review requests and sharing of personal projects is permitted in the main thread. Show us what makes you shine!

    submitted by /u/KorgRue
    [link] [comments]

    Just found this gem, his style to build web app is so seamless, he doesn't even use the mouse anymore.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 02:11 AM PST

    After all I learned during the past year, this is my new personal website.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 06:46 AM PST

    I just finished my new website and I am quite happy the result, so wanted to share it with the community here to gather feedback.

    I am a designer who does front-end whenever I can (HTML, CSS and all the Javascript that I can....which is not enough!), so I took a Wordpress theme as a base and then customized the front-end as much as I could to make it look my own (through a Child Theme). The theme is pretty awesome regarding the options it has, so that helped.

    At the beginning, before starting, I thought about coding all the front-end from scratch to have more freedom. Finally, I decided to adapt a bit more my design to the theme to move faster, and I ended up spending a lot of time in front-end customization to achieve a better experience, both in the main pages and on each portfolio item.

    If you see anything that could be improved, or any kind of feedback on the project, please shoot!

    submitted by /u/vetustamorla
    [link] [comments]

    JavaScript Is Always in Fashion!

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 04:58 AM PST

    Overflow property

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 03:16 PM PST

    I understand what the overflow property does exactly, I was following a coding video to see how to write cleaner code, and the dude in his HTML wrapped each block in a container class, and then in the CSS gave that container class an overflow:hidden property, I didn't understand why he did that so I commented out and the design went to shit, I didn't understand why that happened either so I gave it a value of scroll instead and it showed me where the overflown content is in each block but there was no scroll bar so that tells me there isn't any overflown content, I ran over the HTML a few times trying to figure out what's wrong but no clue. Here is the screenshots of the code, and a screenshot of the page when I give it a scroll property.

    https://imgur.com/a/IfBpP

    submitted by /u/_greyhat
    [link] [comments]

    Directly populate HTML with random data. Powered by the FakeJSON API and front end library

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 08:15 AM PST

    Ever needed to develop a realistic looking prototype even though the backend isn't ready yet? Simply specify which HTML element you'd like to populate with test data and the FakeJSON mock front end library will do the rest. Quick start steps:

    1. Copy and paste two script tags into your HTML <head>
    2. Replace the token reference with your actual FakeJSON token.
    3. Add a data attribute to the targeted HTML element.
    4. Watch as the HTML element automatically gets populated with mock data.

    Rinse and repeat for gains in productivity. Hope this feature is helpful for anyone looking to speed up their development process. You can read more on it here: https://fakejson.com/documentation#js_using

    submitted by /u/jonfakejson
    [link] [comments]

    Keep skills up-to-date

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 09:05 AM PST

    Hey! I don't know if this is the right sub to post this, but I'll give it a go.

    I have a bachelor degree as software developer, but due to stress and depression I have been away from work since May last year. This month I lost my job, as I can't go back to the workplace, too much triggering. So basically I haven't done much programming since and I won't in the near future. I know I should focus on getting better but I worry about loosing my skillset. Should I be worried? I know that coding is a skill you have to train, like riding a bike - the more you do, the better you get. I have a hard time getting motivated for developing something at home, but I know if I had a task for whatever I would do what I can to solve the problem. How do you solve this hurdle?

    I try to be informed about latest news in different languages.

    submitted by /u/kallaen1990
    [link] [comments]

    A Web Dev's Valentine ❤️

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 06:31 AM PST

    I create my first ever open-source project, a MVC PHP Framework to kickstart projects rapidly, I'd like to share it with you and I'm looking for feedback and reviews.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 08:12 AM PST

    Hello,

    I've been working on this project for quite sometime now, and I'd like to share it with you guys. I am not a a php expert and I really will appreciate feedback and reviews on my code and architecture.


    It is a MVC PHP Framework that supports Pretty URLs, Default & Custom routing, custom error pages, layouts, and another features that helps kickstart php projects rapidly.

    1. Here is a link to the repo: https://github.com/SherifAbdlNaby/Ciro-PHP-Framework

    2. An here is a sample project built by the framework: https://ciro-framework.herokuapp.com


    I started this because In uni we had a bonus project that is a php website, I didn't like how vanilia PHP worked (especially how URLs looked lol), this inspired me to create this framework, I had very limited knowledge about PHP ( this is my first real encounter with PHP as a language) but I read and taught myself along the way especially internal PHP stuff.

    I tried to make the overhead of the framework as minimal as possible. but since I am no expert with PHP I can't verify that I built it right, I can't benchmark it properly because I don't have experiences with other php frameworks by-which I can compare or have a metric to measure by.

    submitted by /u/SherifAbdelNaby
    [link] [comments]

    react-realistic-typer: A simple React component that outputs text in a way that simulates human typing.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 01:01 PM PST

    Quickly build a front end app

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 02:47 PM PST

    I am primarily a back end developer (familiar with .NET MVC, PHP Laravel MVC), and want to start diving into front end development that are fully responsive.

    Let say, the website requires no server side code; it just requires strictly with minimal javascript. It will be a simple website (i.e, for a family owned resturant or barber shop). I have thought of Wordpress/Joomla, but learning those won't really make me into a better front end developer?

    I was thinking using this as a stack: Bootstrap/Angular. I am hoping to get a paid Bootstrap theme as I don't want to go into too much time designing the front end. Maybe angular single page? I was doing some research, and people were saying bootstrap/angular doesn't work well with each other.

    What do most developers use as front end to quickly (less than 10 hours) get a site up and running quickly? Do the technologies work well with each other?

    submitted by /u/alphamonkey2
    [link] [comments]

    phpmyadmin can't access db

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 02:33 PM PST

    I have a centos vm running ampps as a dev environment. I've been trying to access PHPMyAdmin, but get the message:

    MySQL said: Cannot connect: invalid settings phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server. 

    via commandline I can login to mysql as root and mysql with no pwd. I can only see two databases; information_schema and test

    if I login with a user/pwd from a Wordpress site in my dev environment, I can see information_schema and test and the database for that user/site

    My my.conf contains;

    mysql [blankline] 

    following someone else in the forums who had a similar problem, I tried to set a password for the accounts, but seems I can't see a users table to be able to set the password;

    ./mysqladmin -u root password mysql ./mysqladmin: unable to change password; error: 'Can't find any matching row in the user table' ./mysqladmin -u mysql password mysql ./mysqladmin: unable to change password; error: 'Can't find any matching row in the user table' 

    Or do I need to select the table first and then set a password?

    Either way, I'm a bit stuck. If I can't access phpmyadmin with default username and password, when I know that default username and passwords do work, I'm stuck. It's almost as if someone somehow has removed privileges for the mysql db. I've got a backup of the dbs for the sites using ampps so if I need to nuke the ampps server and reinstall I can, after testing the backup on another machine first!

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/PhelanKell
    [link] [comments]

    Need some advice on the best way to develop a concatenation web app.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 02:24 PM PST

    At work, we have a lot of manual processes that involve creating snippets of code to run various commands. The structure of these commands is very similar, with the data being entered changing all the time.

    With that being said, I'm looking to build a web app with the following features:

    • The user logs in to their account.

    • The user is able to create variables and choose whether each variable is a code snippet or a data list (array). The format of these variables will likely be just strings.

    • The user can then determine the rules and relationships between these variables in some sort of graphic interface.

     

    For example, I create a code snippet with the content: <code here> and then create a data list with the following items: (Apple, Banana, Peach). I then tell the web app to prepend the code snippet for each item in the data list. The web app runs this command and returns the following output:

     

    • <code here> Apple

    • <code here> Banana

    • <code here> Peach

      I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on the best way to get started with a project like this. Right now, I'm thinking using Ruby on Rails and generating scaffolds, but my two key issues are allowing the user to "link" these different types of data together and apply the code for each value in the array. Again, any suggestions or recommendations towards the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if anything needs to be clarified or explained further. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/elev801
    [link] [comments]

    how can I make the logo take up the whole button on the navigation bar?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 02:06 PM PST

    Using Google tag manager to dynamically add recipe schema tags.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 02:02 PM PST

    I read a post from moz.com that says one can dynamically generate JSON-LD schema markup using Google tag manager. Here's the link to the post

    Do you think it's possible to also generate JSON-LD recipe schema markup from unstructured data using this method?

    How would the ingredients be fetched?

    submitted by /u/samuelalake
    [link] [comments]

    #FiveThings About RxJS with Angular {S:01 Ep: 04}

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 01:44 PM PST

    I have and interview and I don't know if I should go

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 06:14 AM PST

    Hello! Some weeks ago a applied for a junior front web developer, but I don't feel like I'm prepared to go. They asked me for my latest two projects and I told them that a can't show anything because I stopped doing this some years ago and I just started again some months ago. I never worked for a company, I only did some freelance jobs sometimes so I can't really say that I have any kind of experience, and they sill invited me.

    I know the basics: html, css and some javascript, some PHP, I used bootstrap and WP, and that is about all the web development that I know, so I never used version control or anything like that. I'm in a panic state right now because I'm not sure if I should go or not, I don't want them to get angry at me for not knowing everything and making them waste their time.

    I don't know where else to ask, so what would you guys do in my place??

    submitted by /u/Nami-san
    [link] [comments]

    Is Symfony still a viable framework to develop web apps with?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 11:50 AM PST

    Hello reddit!

    I have been working as a web developer using mostly Wordpress, Symfony and a homemade cms of the company. At university, I built a few applications with node, react and redux.

    Now my question is if it makes sense to improve my skills with the Symfony framework for example or is node the way to go?


    Edit: I just love web programming but currently it's just a hobby next to Uni for me. I always look for projects which I can do in the evening or during the weekend. Now, I want to start a new one and am not sure which framework to use :)

    submitted by /u/gingerin0
    [link] [comments]

    how can I create an online chat application without JavaScript?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 02:36 PM PST

    Best practice for a basic REST API?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 06:33 AM PST

    I'm trying to make sense of this REST API business by smashing one together with node and express. I'm sort of trying to emulate parts of what I learned from Laravel years ago, so if this looks like total insanity, that's why. Here's what I have so far:

    My posts model: https://i.imgur.com/KBL12ca.png

    I'm just using this to group together all the different methods for querying my database.

    My routes for the API: https://i.imgur.com/ZAHKOkz.png

    So whenever a route gets called, it will use the posts class to grab what it needs, and return it as JSON.

    And finally, the route for the front end, which I haven't figured out yet: https://i.imgur.com/3x4A4og.png

    Assuming all of that is vaguely right, what's best practice when it comes to adding more specific queries to an API? For example, instead of going to /api/posts and getting everything, what if I want to only grab the top 5 posts, and order them by date descending? I have no idea what the route naming conventions are supposed to be once you move past the most basic queries.

    submitted by /u/goodarmsvsbadarms
    [link] [comments]

    Every application was coded in an editor, what was the very very first application code in?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 02:41 AM PST

    As I sat here pondering, being the usually technical thinker that I am, I came up with the curiosity to find out how was the first application (specifically GUI) developed?

    For example, reddit was coded in an editor of some sort. And that editor is programmed in C by another editor of some sort. To program that editor that codes that editor, there has to be another program that allow/read codes.

    With that said, if you think back to the very beginning of computers, how did they get the very first GUI interface onto the screen. Given all they had was hardware, they power up the hardware, what created a GUI (think DOS)? In order to have the very first GUI where you can select options with the up and down arrow key, something must have coded it right?

    To sort of layout the picture, it goes something like this

    Visual Studio Code <- Notepad++ <- Notepad <- Something along the lines of Linux vim <- Terminal <- What created terminal? <- what created the program to create terminal? <- the very very first application that can code and program an application

    Hope this makes sense.

    submitted by /u/eggtart_prince
    [link] [comments]

    How would you host static site on Github while keeping @myname.com email address?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 06:18 AM PST

    Currently my domain is hosted on host gator with an awful WordPress site. I also use host gator for my personal email that includes my domain.

    I now want to get rid of my WordPress site completely and host a static site on Github (which I know how to do that)...but what's the best way to keep my personal email addresses? Ideally I'd love to get away from hostgator but keep my emails. Is there a service for this to make things easier?

    submitted by /u/Jam1e
    [link] [comments]

    Translating static HTML landing page

    Posted: 10 Feb 2018 09:24 AM PST

    Hey, I'm looking a good way to translate my landing page into more languages. I was thinking about translation using some JS library to change text based on browser language, but I'm a bit afraid about SEO. My second thought is to create subdomains or directories with different languages (en.example.com or example.com/en/). But here we got a problem with consistency of all landing page versions because what if I decide to reorder something I'm going to need to propagate all these changes to other language versions. Any advices guys?

    Right now I'm planning to translate landing page into ~5 languages. I'm using CloudFlare & S3, maybe there are some hidden gems which can help me.

    submitted by /u/kubelke
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment