• Breaking News

    Sunday, February 4, 2018

    How to make your first open source contribution in just 5 minutes learn programming

    How to make your first open source contribution in just 5 minutes learn programming


    How to make your first open source contribution in just 5 minutes

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 09:54 AM PST

    I just published an article on medium about a project to make your first open source contribution. It'd be awesome to get your feedback. https://medium.freecodecamp.org/how-to-make-your-first-open-source-contribution-in-just-5-minutes-aaad1fc59c9a

    submitted by /u/sudo__bangbang
    [link] [comments]

    I was just accepted into a nonprofit coding bootcamp and I need some advice

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 08:15 AM PST

    Background: I used to play with HTML/CSS a lot in high school (15 years ago now) and became pretty proficient at building websites. I loved doing it, but at the time just thought it was something fun to do. Never thought I could be paid to do it. Recently, I started picking up HTML/CSS again to build a website for a research project I'm working on. It all came flooding back to me and I am back in love with coding. I spend pretty much all my time working on it and thinking about it. Despite the fact that I should probably be working on other things (I'm in a PhD program totally unrelated to coding).

    Currently: I have been kind of hitting a wall with coding because I learn much better with some guidance and structure. I started looking into coding bootcamps and free online resources. I've run through a lot of the free tutorials, but I feel like I'm not really learning anything new. Currently in a full time PhD program and have lots of student loans. Can't afford to go back to school for a CS degree or anything like this.

    About the bootcamp: My friend, who is a programmer, recommended that I apply for Softstack Factory as it's got a much smaller price tag than most bootcamps because it is a nonprofit ($750 total - split up throughout the course). The program teaches JavaScript, HTML, CSS, Angular, NodeJS, StrongLoop, mongoDB, etc. It culminates in the development of a mobile app. It lasts for six months and meets two nights a week.

    My goals: I am primarily interested in front-end web development, but am also really interested in learning back-end. I eventually want to either be able to design websites for my research projects if I stay in my PhD program - or to leave my PhD program to become a web developer or work in UI/UX (my master's degree is in Anthropology so it might be a good fit). I've done a lot of research on programming jobs, and it looks like most of them want you to have several years of experience so I don't believe this bootcamp will propel me directly into a new career, but I think it could help develop my skills.

    What's the point?: I would like to know what y'all think about this bootcamp, if it makes sense for my goals, and if it's worth the time commitment. I'm already pretty overloaded with multiple research projects, TAing, etc. But I spend all my free time coding right now anyway, so I think it might be worth it.

    TL;DR: Current PhD student either wanting to incorporate coding into my PhD career or leave my PhD and pursue coding. Got into a non-profit coding bootcamp. What do y'all think of this bootcamp and is it a good idea? Just needing some unbiased advice here.

    THANK YOU!

    submitted by /u/sharpxp
    [link] [comments]

    Starting a beginners Java level course in College, how do I get ahead of the game?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 05:52 PM PST

    So a quick background. I am a Junior in college and not too keen on programming. I took a programming course my freshman year the language was C++. It was kind of difficult class for me, almost like learning a new language. My track in school is Network Administration so I should at least have an overall understanding in coding.

    Anyways fast forward two years and I now need to take 3 programming courses to graduate next year. So I decided to do Java this time around. Is there anyone who can help me starting out with this or can refer me to any videos or websites? I would like to get an A in all 3 of these courses of course but in order to make that happen I need to spend time outside of the class learning also, but idk where to start. I need to learn from literally ground zero. I'm open to any suggestions.

    I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this! If it is someone pls point me in the right direction.

    Edit: beginners level Java course* not Beginners Java level lol

    submitted by /u/mayomayo24
    [link] [comments]

    Update 3: One month into programming with no prior experience.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 05:31 PM PST

    first post

    second post

    how studying has been

    I am now on Chapter 10, learning list manipulation and tuples. I can now make super basic math centric programs from scratch! I spend a few days on the exercises at the end of each chapter, but I go through all of them thoroughly to make sure I know what is going on and that I can do most of it from scratch without copying and pasting. Progress feels slow at times but I'm soaking in the knowledge the best I can.

    on starting a project

    A lot of people in this subreddit recommend starting a project as soon as possible. About a week ago I felt overwhelmed with the amount of learning I was going through so I stayed away from starting a project. I had a few ideas but I had no idea where to even start.

    After talking with a few programmers I've come to realize that the feeling of having no idea where to start is something I need to get used to. The important step is to just start somewhere based off your best educated guess. It could be writing down an outline, or to simply start with a line of code.

    The concept of initiating into the unknown is what beginner all programmers need to come to excel at.

    what i'm working on now

    I had an idea where I would find out the average drive time from my home to work for every day of the week and plot it in a spreadsheet. With absolutely no idea of where to start I ended up just Googling how to use Python with Google Maps. I stumbled upon what's called a Google Maps API and it looks like I need to do some reading on how the API works.

    My other idea is to figure out how to set up my own website/blog so I can put these posts there instead of here and link to it instead. It would also serve as a great place for future employers to see my dedication and progress. Upon Googling and reading it looks like I need to study Django for this project.

    I've dedicated 80% of Python time to studying the language and the other 20% to project time. That might change as my Python language gets better but for now it's a good split.


    Anyhow, thanks for keeping me encouraged and for all of the help! You guys are awesome :D

    submitted by /u/coffee-9
    [link] [comments]

    I just dont know where to even start with this REST API documentation.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 08:50 AM PST

    hi all, i'm trying to figure this out but I just cant. I've tried every use of POST I can think of, including forms with action POST to the api address, but I just cant figure it out. Any direction would be fantastic. The documentation is here

    https://www.lingq.com/apidocs/api-2.0.html

    and what i'm trying to do is under "lessons -> create resource".

    I'm most comfortable with php. Hopefully I can parse and form my data with PHP since i'm most comfortable with that, but how can I then send it to this api to actually create lessons through it?

    Any help or direction would be great, i'm just at a complete loss. thank you so much in advance for the help :).

    **New Attempt code. Changed from PHP form to JSON request. **

     <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html> <title>JSON POST test LingQ</title> <head> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.2/jquery.min.js"> </script> <script type="text/javascript"> JSONTest = function() { var resultDiv = $("#resultDivContainer"); $.ajax({ type: "POST", beforeSend: function(request) { request.setRequestHeader("Authorization", "token " + "870498113740#########################"); }, url: "https://www.lingq.com/api/v2/ja/lessons/", data: { "title": "Test Title", "text": "Test Text Here", "tags": ["Tagtest1"] }, dataType: "json", success: function (result) { switch (result) { case true: processResponse(result); break; default: resultDiv.html(result); } }, error: function (xhr, ajaxOptions, thrownError) { alert(xhr.status + " Error status"); alert(thrownError); } }); }; </script> </head> <body> <h1>My jQuery JSON Web Page</h1> <div id="resultDivContainer"></div> <button type="button" onclick="JSONTest()">JSON</button> </body> </html> 
    submitted by /u/TimeToSave10
    [link] [comments]

    Do you need to know Java to be an full stack web developer?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 09:06 AM PST

    I have specifically been focusing on the front end part of things. My curriculum requires me to take an Java class but I feel like I won't even need it in the future please inform me if i am wrong.

    submitted by /u/CodeCrazyAquile
    [link] [comments]

    My Etch-a-Sketch submission for TOP!

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 10:14 PM PST

    I'm a semester away from graduating with my associates in software development and recently started The Odin Project so I can land a junior web development role soon after graduating (hopefully). I made this Etch-a-Sketch after a few days. Here is the repository if you're interested. Let me know what you guys think!

    submitted by /u/PM_ME_A_DEV_JOB
    [link] [comments]

    PyQT ready to add it to my resume?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 09:58 PM PST

    I'm working on some apps to automate some precesses at work and it turning into building a nice little library for our Jenkins set up. I'm going to be building a release took over the next couple of weeks and want to really dive into PyQt.

    Got me thinking about when it's appropriate to list it as a skill on my resume. I feel totally comfortable making some simple applications with multithreaded widgets and what not. I have to check a few documents for how to interface everything but that's no big deal.

    I guess my question is when is a skill you've picked up acceptable to be listed on your resume?

    submitted by /u/M0D1N
    [link] [comments]

    [Beginner] Recommend a good IDE to me

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 09:28 PM PST

    I have taken the CS50 course and have been using their IDE. But since I don't have internet access all the time, it doesn't work.

    For now I use Sublime Text + terminal for Python and Netbeans for Java. I am on lubuntu.

    But I would like some features of IDE like debugger, which aren't available in sublime text.

    So can you please suggest me a good IDE that would be best considering I am on Lubuntu and program mainly in Python, Java + SQL and C for now, and would soon like to try my hands on web programming with Python and Django or Flask.

    submitted by /u/MCPO_John117
    [link] [comments]

    What kinds of programs could I make with Python?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 08:16 PM PST

    I took a college class awhile back where we just learned the basics of Python. I'm wanting to start learning more on my own, but don't really know what kinds of projects I could work on with Python

    submitted by /u/Dyllan5656
    [link] [comments]

    Resources for logic/problem solving for someone who knows barely any math beyond simple addition and subtraction & who has a background in humanities/lit.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 07:28 AM PST

    I asked a similar question about programming in general a few days (and thanks to all who answered! I ordered two books which will be arriving today).

    But I'm beginning to think if I need to start even further back.

    So many people have told me that programming doesn't really involve math. And that may be true. But I don't know any math.

    I was diagnosed with a learning disorder for math while I was in high school, so I never got beyond pre-algebra. In college, I only needed to take one math course, which was titled something like 'statistics for liberal arts' which was a very simplified stats course I took online and got a D in. I think I have/had math phobia/anxiety.

    I've been looking for recommended books/resources to improve logical thinking and problem solving, but when I go to check them out, they really require math.

    I'm not against learning math - I actually downloaded a prealgebra and algebra tutoring app on my phone and did some exercises. But there's SO much I need to learn, I'm not sure which would benefit me in logic puzzles. Do I really need to know how to simplify equations? Distribute? If I do, I'll learn it.

    When I was in school, I looooved writing analytical papers on poems, short stories and novels. I loved writing criticisms. I don't know if I can apply these things to becoming a more "logical" person.

    Some examples: People have recommended Project Euler, which looks amazing. But the first question asks about prime numbers. Hell if I remember what that is, so I looked it up. Okay, now I know. But how in the world would I write a program that can pick them all out?

    I really need the most BASIC of the basic. Hopefully something designed for someone like me who has avoided math all of their life. I'm willing to pick up one of those homeschool textbooks about math if someone can recommend a part of it to be completely comfortable with before moving forward.

    Thanks in advance everyone. This sub is always so great and helpful.

    submitted by /u/irlgarbodor
    [link] [comments]

    Using a git repository in a TFS solution

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 05:42 PM PST

    I have searched, but probably for the wrong terms, or wrong forums. I am trying to do this correctly, any help is appreciated.

    I have an existing solution using Team Foundation Server for version control. I would like to import an open source git repository into the solution the RIGHT way. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    The way I am currently doing it is to clone the git repository with visual studio, then I open the existing solution and add existing project (the cloned git repository). The trouble with this seems that I am now using TFS to version control my clone of the GIT repository. This seems unnecessary.

    <edit for clarification>

    submitted by /u/wiwalsh
    [link] [comments]

    Wait command in Java?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 07:40 PM PST

    It'd be nice to have a wait command in Java. I already know about the following way to create a wait command.

    try { Thread.sleep(1000); } catch (Exception e) 

    However, I don't know exactly how this works and it can get messy real fast.

    Are there any other methods that are shorter / easier? Could I make the aforementioned method a class and just call it like you would with the Scanner class?

    submitted by /u/Alanator222
    [link] [comments]

    I need some guidance on the "Django Girls" Django tutorial.

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 11:25 PM PST

    I've googled it a bit and it seems there is a discrepancy in the versions of Django we are using in the tutorial and the version that "Pythonanywhere" uses (Maybe.. I could be wrong)

    I ALWAYS have this issue with Django. I've tried to learn it three times at this point and it's just so god damn buggy. No tutorial can ever get it straight. At this point I'm a veteran programming quitter. (sorry just frustrated)

    If someone can give me a bit of guidance on this it would be really appreciated.

    Below is a screenshot of the error I'm getting.

    any advice would be great.. Thank everyone.

    submitted by /u/moonsout_goonsout
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to go from a decimal number to ACSII? [C++]

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 11:23 PM PST

    I am looking to convert an array of decimal numbers to a corresponding array for ACSII characters. I can deal with the array manipulation myself, but is there a function or something in which I could get the corresponding ACSII character for a given decimal number? EX: 67 to 'C' IE: If I have an array, arr[]={65,67} I want to convert it t

    submitted by /u/McCubbon
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I learn to understand and create complex regular expressions?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 11:21 PM PST

    I was on the freecodecamp problem of using a regex to validate phone numbers.

    https://www.freecodecamp.org/challenges/validate-us-telephone-numbers

    The 'Get A Hint' page gives these two answers:

    1. var regex = /1\?)?((\d{3})|\d{3})[\s-]?\d{3}[\s-]?\d{4}$/;

    2. var re = /?:(?:\?1\s(?:[.-]\s)?)?(?:(\s([2-9]1[02-9]|[2-9][02-8]1|[2-9][02-8][02-9])\s)|([2-9]1[02-9]|[2-9][02-8]1|[2-9][02-8][02-9]))\s(?:[.-]\s)?)?([2-9]1[02-9]|[2-9][02-9]1|[2-9][02-9]{2})\s(?:[.-]\s)?([0-9]{4})$/;

    I can't understand them at all. How can I learn about creating regex as complicated as these?

    submitted by /u/LongjumpingArt
    [link] [comments]

    I need help on creating a Discord bot using JS

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 11:10 PM PST

    How do I create a Simple Discord bot that copies whatever text is PMed to it and Pastes it into a text channel of a Discord server?

    I understand Simple JS and node but I really have no idea on how to interact with the discord API. I would appreciate it if someone could send me pre-made code and I would then read it and teach myself. Thanks!

    Edit : Formatting

    submitted by /u/Garlicvideos
    [link] [comments]

    Any programmer or developer working in japan here?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 04:31 PM PST

    Tell me your experience or stories! I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/asp143
    [link] [comments]

    Good opportunity to buy Android/iOS Books for cheap

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 10:19 PM PST

    How do I break up a string into an array of strings? [C++]

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 10:11 PM PST

    I have got a string that is 82 characters long. I want to break up that string into an array of 16 strings of length 5, negating the first 2 characters of the string. IE: string is "425657623456" I want to break that up into an array such that array[0] = "56576" and array[1] = "23456"

    submitted by /u/McCubbon
    [link] [comments]

    How to find your way amongst complex source code?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 02:06 AM PST

    I am not at all a professional programmer, and have learned coding out of necessity. As I got better and my programs grew longer, reading source code - mine and others' - became a regular task, one which I didn't shy away from even in the case of complex systems.

    Then I started reading open source softwares' code, and realized I had been quite spoiled thus far. My last two companies had very strict and thorough documentation policies, which meant that even complex and optimized systems could be understood with some patience. Open source code on github has none of that. And I'm not dissing these projects, I get that this is the nature of community-led code, but it's leaving me utterly lost.

    How am I supposed to check the implementation of a tool or function in a code whose structure I don't know, which has dozens of files, hundreds of classes and potentially thousends of functions, all calling each other in non-obvious or convoluted ways? Most of the time I can't even find where a specific task is supposed to be.

    As an example, the other day I tried looking at the source of GIMP, to see how they implemented a particular algorithm, and spent two hours fumbling through code after code, not even knowing where to look. I ended up finding 3 different functions for that tool, but all they seemed to do was pass pointers around, validate inputs, or change one object into a slightly different object. Nothing regarding the implementation per se.

    How does one, unfamiliar with a project layout, simply go up and decifer these complex and multilayered codes?

    submitted by /u/Svani
    [link] [comments]

    [Rails] Am i still making use of the asset pipeline if i put my javascript into user created directories and manually include it?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 10:01 PM PST

    I'm using a structure like:

    /app/assets/javascripts/<controller_name>/action.js

    And then i include it specifically in application.js.

    This is still using the asset pipeline right?

    As a side question, can i do the same thing for stylesheets?

    submitted by /u/fozz179
    [link] [comments]

    I want to do more with C++, advice needed !

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 09:39 PM PST

    I'm a noob game dev with 5 games published on the google play store. But I aspire to be a professional game dev in the future. I know C++ to an intermediate-ish level ( I know till data structures, stacks and queues ). I've never really made anything in C++ other than console based simple programs. I really want to start doing practical stuff with C++ such as GUI programs for windows and so, or a simple game engine, but I don't know what resource I should continue from ! Should I read a book like Accelerated C++ or something ? Help !!

    submitted by /u/ShreyasRao
    [link] [comments]

    Is using BootStrap for website a Must Do?

    Posted: 03 Feb 2018 09:31 PM PST

    I'm fairly new to web development.

    Is using bootstrap must when creating a website, for the responses?

    How often do you use bootstrap?

    submitted by /u/SpareTech_O
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment