• Breaking News

    Monday, February 5, 2018

    Freelancers, Have you lost business to “crate your own website” sites like Wix, SquareSpace, etc? learn programming

    Freelancers, Have you lost business to “crate your own website” sites like Wix, SquareSpace, etc? learn programming


    Freelancers, Have you lost business to “crate your own website” sites like Wix, SquareSpace, etc?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 05:57 PM PST

    Has the rise of such sites affected your business?

    From a customer/business owner point of view (who knows zero about technology) would he be most interested in lets say telling his teenage kids to make him a website on Wix, versus hiring a professional web developer?

    What are you thoughts on sites like codefree WordPress, Wix, Square Space etc.

    How have these affected your business when looking for new clients.

    submitted by /u/SpareTech_O
    [link] [comments]

    Do you have to buy a domain for each new topic when changing the url, and if not how to create such pages?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 04:35 AM PST

    I have NO idea how I should phrase the title nor if this is the right sub, so apologies in advance.

    What I want to know is, if I have "website.com" and want to put categories, but change the url such as, for example: "cars.website.com" or "bikes.website.com", do I have to buy each domain, or can I implement that with "website.com" by changing something, and if so, what do have have to do for that?

    Tried to google that but I have no way how to phrase my problem. Quite obvious with my titlegore...

    I don't know if this will affect anything, but I will be building one with wordpress.

    Thanks.

    EDIT: Well, this has been solved with one comment. Googled it and directly found lots of sites explaining what to do. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/LeonInJapan
    [link] [comments]

    Best place to learb to code for Android?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 05:13 PM PST

    I'm looking for somewhere to learn to start coding for Android, I have a little bit of coding knowledge behind me, very basic Java and a little bit of C as well from my days at college. I was wondering if anyone on here knew of any free resources out there I could use to give me a bit of a leg up and get some more basic - intermediate level Android coding experience.

    submitted by /u/Theta1996
    [link] [comments]

    Hi everyone! I’m learning how to implement the a* pathfinding algorithm, and I’m using the following document as pseudocode. Could someone please help explain what line 6 of this is saying? Thanks!

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 05:42 PM PST

    Hi! Like I said in the title, I'm learning how to implement the A* pathfinding algorithm. I found this mat.uab.cat/~alseda/MasterOpt/AStar-Algorithm.pdf pdf describing the pseudo code, but I'm having trouble understanding line 6. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/HypoG1
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I write code for and design apps/web apps that will allow me to also use/view said app on my phone?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 06:30 PM PST

    I am relatively new to programming as I just entered a computer science principles class that covers a wide range of topics. We have finally gotten into the designing and coding of apps, but we do so in an online site's "App Lab".

    I was wondering if there were a program or combination of programs that I could download and write/design apps in, but also be able to download or use those apps as web apps on my phone and have more freedoms than the currently accessible functions.

    submitted by /u/MaskedMuses
    [link] [comments]

    GUI Automation for Mobile?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 02:43 PM PST

    Hey guys I'm trying to figure out a way to automate some of the taps/touches I do on my mobile Android device. I haven't been able to find any resources on the matter, but I was thinking about being able to do something like PyAutoGUI, but on a mobile device. And instead of controlling the mouse, I'd be controlling finger touches (I guess). Or anything that can select parts of the screen or something similar.

    Like I said, I haven't been able to find many resources on the subject, so any and all advice would be beautiful :)

    submitted by /u/wbhyatt
    [link] [comments]

    Some resources for intermediate or advanced CSS please?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 09:32 AM PST

    I have some knowledge in CSS but I need more advanced. If you have any experience with, share some resources you used to learn.

    submitted by /u/alerrce
    [link] [comments]

    Concerned that what i'm learning is obsolete/inefficient

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 02:18 PM PST

    I've seen a lot of posts on Reddit recently about Java which is what i'm currently trying to learn. I'm looking to get into software development and I was told that was a good place to start. Anyway, the posts I keep seeing seem to laugh it off as an outdated language or one that is obsolete which makes me worry i'm working my ass off for nothing. Is there truth to this? Is there something better I should be learning? Python maybe? Or is this just general Reddit shitposting I should ignore? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Kartavicious
    [link] [comments]

    is headfirst java 2nd edition out of date in 2018?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 01:36 PM PST

    Hello all,

    I've been lurking on this Sunday Reddit for quite some time and have now mustered up the courage to start learning programing. I've seen suggestions for many books to learn Java, but have decided on using head first Java 2nd edition. However it seems to go over topics using Java 5. Will this be an issue for me? Should I pick another book that was published more recently? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/freeforme1994
    [link] [comments]

    Online Certification

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 07:37 PM PST

    Does anyone here know of any good online certifications for any kind of programing?

    My stepdad works 'higher up' with Charter. He talks a lot about how most people that work for him have certifications and that at this point, they are almost more important than an actual degree. Im in highschool still and would like to get a jump in early as im hoping to go into a CS related field for college.

    (If theres a better spot to post this let me know, thanks!)

    submitted by /u/chaserchim
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone recommend a good, hopefully free, course for learning data analytics with Python?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 05:49 PM PST

    I'm currently a Hadoop admin so I have some knowledge, but looking forward I would definitely want to be a data analyst, particularly in sports as this would combine two of my strongest passions. Based on what I'm seeing, Python appears to be the way to go so that's the route I'm choosing to go.

    submitted by /u/FrostyJesus
    [link] [comments]

    Learning to architect a system

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 08:40 AM PST

    I'm looking for recommendations for book(s) and/or youtube videos and/or online free classes. I'm getting to the point in my programming knowledge where I'm comfortable with a few languages, I've built a bunch of small scale programs, and I'm comfortable with multiple paradigms (OO, imperative, etc).

    How do I get to the point where I'd feel comfortable building a solution that is robust, relatively extensible and overall just a good design? I'd love to read a book where they show the design for a particular project but also explain how and why they got to that design. I hesitate to say I'm looking for a book on design patterns because maybe that's not quite what I'm looking for, but perhaps that's part of what I'm looking for? Maybe I need things that are more along the lines of strategies, such as CRC (class-relation-collaboration) cards or a book that just talks about this is the business logic, these types of things go in here because ____

    Hopeful this gives you an idea of the type of video/book/class I'm looking for. I realize some of this stuff is simply going to come as a matter of working on bigger and bigger projects, but I'd love to have some guidance.

    submitted by /u/ReaverKS
    [link] [comments]

    What is a good resource for learning/practicing string and array manipulation questions?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 05:58 PM PST

    Trying to study for interviews but always struggled with these kind of questions. What's the best way to learn or practice this area in particular?

    submitted by /u/cookies50796
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I find the exercise files for the course entitled "Stone River eLearning - Build an eCommerce Site with Angular 5"?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 10:55 PM PST

    I am learning Stone River eLearning's "Build an eCommerce Site with Angular 5." But I can't find the exercise files anywhere. Would you please help me to find it?

    submitted by /u/john9929
    [link] [comments]

    What is a good language to compliment SQL?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 02:10 PM PST

    I'm trying to set up a plan for this year. I'm doing pretty good in SQL and was wondering if it might be worth my while to learn another language in addition to SQL. My ultimate goal is to work with databases either through administration or just maintenance. What do you recommend?

    submitted by /u/MrMRDA
    [link] [comments]

    Book suggestions?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 10:20 PM PST

    I'm a Junior in high school and I've taken an interest in becoming a computer science major once I get to college. I am currently taking a Computer Science Principals class that has been introduced to my school and learning Python on my own time. Was wondering if you guys had any book recommendations that cover computer system fundamentals or algorithms and are beginner friendly. Thanks!

    (Not sure if I should be posting this in r/compsci or here sorry :P)

    submitted by /u/woesa
    [link] [comments]

    How did you learn your first programming language and how did you learn it well

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 10:20 PM PST

    I'm a CS major currently struggling with the higher tier classes due to the fact that other than the basic classes the language that we use is not really covered (java). As such I haven't ever really felt confident in java and I want to be able to learn java to start with and really understand the language and feel as if I am proficient enough to know how to solve most problems. I know that there are links in the subreddit page however I wanted to see if anyone had personal tips that helped them learn a language well and feel confident in the language other than what has been posted there.

    submitted by /u/HelplessProgrammer
    [link] [comments]

    Loop Through API Arrays

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 10:01 PM PST

    I'm trying to create a web app that takes information from an API and inserts the chosen parameters into my MongoDB database.

    However, I've come to a problem. I need to figure out how to iterate through an array so I can grab all of the cards (in case the card I searched for is a reprint). Right now I have it hard coded for the first array.

    So I check the JSON file for: https://api.magicthegathering.io/v1/cards?name=Black%20Lotus

    In my code I do:

    id: card["cards"][0]["multiverseid"]

    The rest of the code is in the pastebin at the bottom of the question

    How would I loop through all the arrays to get all of the entries?

    Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/2dDm3EGN

    submitted by /u/thwikehu1990
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone figure out why I'm failing most test cases in HackerRank?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 10:00 PM PST

    It's an easy problem and I feel like I have it right. It passes the sample test case I'm given but fails 10 of the 14 test cases I can't see. Here's the prompt.

    and here's my code:

    static void miniMaxSum(int[] arr) { // Complete this function int sum = 0; int min = arr[0]; int max = arr[0]; for(int i : arr) { if(i < min) min = i; if(i > max) max = i; sum += i; } System.out.println((sum - max) + " " + (sum - min)); } 
    submitted by /u/captpiggard
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with a Python 3 text parser- looking to generate a .csv output, but formatting errors and text quirks are causing problems

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 09:54 PM PST

    (X-post /r/learnpython)

    Working on a pet project in my spare time, but unfortunately I'm at an impasse. I'll leave the gitlab link below, along with a minimized version of the code. I've left comments in the gitlab project code with everything I'd like to accomplish with the project, as well as the issues I'm having and solutions I've tried, so you can get more details by following the link

    Tl;dr- I need to parse a bunch of text and generate a .csv, but occasional formatting errors and overlapping text issues are preventing me from getting it perfect.

    The long version-

    At my job, a daily report is typed up that details which traders bought and sold which stocks/assets, and I think that the reports can be used to generate some interesting data for trends analysis. These reports are emailed out at the end of the day. I dunno how to get a python script to read my Outlook email, but I'm willing to save it to a .txt file manually. What I'd like the code to do is read a .txt file, and convert it either into a .csv or other easily Excel-able format, like '/' delimited. The text will always follow the same format, but there are occasionally typos and quirks as people add in entries at the end of the day. There's not much I can do about the typos, but I would at least like to get this script up to the point where I can use it to parse a properly formatted string, generate a .csv, plug that into Excel using pandas, and generate some charts about who trades what, which activities occur the most, trends in sales, etc.

    Here's an example of the report contents:

    00001/4 JAN/MARK/BOUGHT (BGT) 500 SHARES (SHR) OF APPLE TECHNOLOGY (AAPL) AT $160/SHR

    Ideally, it'll get split into four sections: TRADER/COMP1/COMP2/ACTY. I'd want this entry to come out looking like MARK/Apple Technology/-/BGT

    There are two main problems, stemming from the ACTY section of the parsed text (the labels and whatnot are further explained in the gitlab page, so you can look there for more clarification). First, if there are two companies mentioned, like in a trade, then both them will appear in the printed summary. That's how I want it, as shown in the example above. The question is, how do I get a second empty column occupied by '-' or something in the entries that only have one company? Having some entries with 3 columns and some with 4 columns makes creation of a .csv file pretty much impossible. Ideally, every entry will generate a set of data like TRADER/COMP1/COMP2/ACTY, and not just TRADER/COMP1/ACTY.

    Second issue is what happens when an activity code is found inside another word in the ACTY section. The activity codes are three letter acronyms like BGT or BAS. If a code like BAS shows up in the activity section in a word basic, it'll add a section to the output labeled BAS, even if BAS wasn't the activity code used. I tried to use some regex magic to make it work, but I'm too much of a rookie to pull that off.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I'd like this done by Friday so that I can show it off at the weekly brainstorming session, but it's not super critical.

    Thanks in advance for the help!

    https://gitlab.com/ltcalvery/stock_parser_test.git

    import re

    companies = {'AAPL':'Apple Overlords', 'CSCO':'Cisco Technology', 'MSFT':'Microsoft XBox People', 'INTC':'Intel Technology', 'MU':'Micron Technology'}

    activities = ['BGT', 'SLD', 'TRD', 'BAS', 'ROI']

    with open('stocks.txt', 'r') as text: var = '' sep = '\n\n' lines = text.read().split(sep) for line in lines: if line.startswith('00') == True: try: ID,DATE,TRADER,ACTY = line.split('/') except ValueError: line = line.replace('/', '-', 3) ID,DATE,TRADER,ACTY = line.split('-')

     if TRADER != '~': var += TRADER var += '/' for key in companies.keys(): if key in ACTY: var += (companies[key]) var += '/' else: pass for code in activities: if code in ACTY: var += code var += '/\n' """Here's what I was trying to do with a regex: for code in activities: newcode = re.search(code, ACTY) if newcode in ACTY: var += newcode var += '/' But it doesn't seem to like using the list entry in the regex function. Any ideas?""" else: pass else: pass 

    print (var)

    Just to see what the output is like. How go I get this to save as a .csv?

    Text file used for input:

    00001/4 JAN/MARK/BOUGHT (BGT) 500 SHARES (SHR) OF APPLE TECHNOLOGY (AAPL) AT $160/SHR

    00002/4 JAN/CHRIS/SOLD (SLD) 600 SHR OF CISCO TECHNOLOGY (CSCO) AT $41/SHR

    00001/5 JAN/ALLISON/TRADED (TRD) 300 SHR OF MICROSOFT TECHNOLOGY (MSFT) FOR 200 BASIC SHR AND 50 PRIVELEGED SHR OF INTEL CORPORATION (INTC)

    00002/5 JAN/CHRIS/BGT 200 SHR OF MICRON TECHNOLOGY (MU) AT $41/SHR

    00003/5 JAN/KATIE/TRD 200 SHR MU FOR $300 AND 150 SHR CSCO

    00004/5 JAN/~/SLD 100 SHR CSCO AT $150/SHR

    submitted by /u/LtCalvery
    [link] [comments]

    Hey guys, I have a question about a specific import tampering with a variable conversion.

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 09:31 PM PST

    I am writing a program for my intermediate java class, he wan't us to create a triangle object using the point class, aka import java.awt.geom.Point2D.Double. But In my main method I need to convert user impute (string) to a double for the coordinates. I noticed Double.parseDouble(input1) will not convert due to the point class. Any suggestions? Also he doesn't want us to use the scanner class, loops, or arrays. .-.

    submitted by /u/K1ngErnie
    [link] [comments]

    mysql node package

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 09:07 PM PST

    is the mysql nodejs package the best way to connect one's webapp to their database? See here: https://github.com/mysqljs/mysql.

    I am fine with this way of doing it, just want to check if it is the way most people do it.

    submitted by /u/lambo4bkfast
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for how a full-time rideshare driver can squeeze in learning on the go?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 09:04 AM PST

    Hey everybody!

    TL;DR - Tips on how to continue working on my code in short 2min - 30min bursts?

    I'm currently a driver for Lyft. I went to a bootcamp, learned to code, got a job as a Front-End Developer which I did for a year, and am now back to Lyft-ing.

    I have about 2 1/2 years of experience and the reason I'm driving for Lyft again is because my wife and I will be moving to Dallas, TX in the upcoming weeks so I thought I would need the flexibility for all the interview offers I would get but I've had no such luck. It seems like working on work during my free time instead of creating projects and not knowing .NET is hurting me pretty bad.

    My typical day has me leaving my house at around 5:30am, driving until around 6pm, back at the house around 7:30pm and then asleep a few hours after. In-between rides I get anywhere from 2 mins to 30mins (rare), so I wanted to see if people had tips on how to learn during these bursts. I already listen to podcasts but I feel like it's helping more with mindset rather than actual coding. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/TheMartinUriarte
    [link] [comments]

    Career and Certification Advice

    Posted: 05 Feb 2018 08:50 PM PST

    Hi guys, I've been looking around for the right sub. Hopefully this is it. Straight to the point. I want to pursue a career in software development/engineering. I am fascinated by blockchain tech, AI, and cryptography, but also, computer coding both in development of computer software, websites, and mobile apps. Also the prospect of being able to work from home or while traveling would be super cool, but I want to be realistic about job prospects. I have a BS degree in Business Administration Marketing and experience with C++, Javascript, and HTML. I've built many computers from base parts and been obsessed with tech my whole life. I'm 32 now, I've spent the last 10 yrs since graduation being a freelance musician, running my own business successfully. Enjoy it, but want to do it more parttime, get out of the crazy nightclub scene. Money is not a large concern to start, just need to be able to pay bills, my modest mortgage, eat, and feed my dog. I want to contribute to the betterment of the world and also learn programming for the sake of understanding deeper the tech that surrounds us. So..What do I next? What things should I consider? What do I need to learn? What certifications are worth getting? Where can I learn free/cheap? (using lynda.com free for now)? What great companies to work for that give back to the world, I should aim for? Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Been trying to piece together information from google searches and blog posts till now. I know there is a mountain of learning ahead of me but I have A Lot of freetime, pick up things very quickly, and am strongly motivated/organized towards this goal.

    submitted by /u/spider_sauce
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment