• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 7, 2018

    Big 4 Discussion - February 07, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Big 4 Discussion - February 07, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Big 4 Discussion - February 07, 2018

    Posted: 06 Feb 2018 11:07 PM PST

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big 4 and questions related to the Big 4, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big 4 really? Posts focusing solely on Big 4 created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big 4 Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I am Steven Skiena, CS professor and author of "The Algorithm Design Manual" AMA

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 08:58 AM PST

    I am Steven Skiena, a Distinguished Teaching Professor of Computer Science at Stony Brook University. I am the author of the popular book "The Algorithm Design Manual", which is officially recommended by Google for interview preparation. My research interests include the design of graph, string, and geometric algorithms, and their applications (particularly to biology). My five other books include the new "The Data Science Design Manual and "Calculated Bets: Computers, Gambling, and Mathematical Modeling to Win". I also served as co-founder and Chief Scientist at General Sentiment, a media measurement company based on his Lydia text/sentiment analysis system. I received my Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Illinois in 1988 and have authored over 150 technical papers.

    submitted by /u/sskiena
    [link] [comments]

    MythBusters: Online Applications and GPA/School Rank/Experience (Survey Results)

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 12:24 PM PST

    Yesterday I asked /r/cscq about their results from online applications. Since online applications present a relatively even playing field as all resumes are considered equally (unlike referrals or career fairs), they present an excellent opportunity for analyzing response rates by eliminating confounding variables such as connections or personality (who needs that? /s). If you kept track of your response rates too, please fill out this anonymous Google Forms (https://goo.gl/forms/faBQYFd1R528b6xb2) and I'll keep this data updated.

     

    Average interview rate from online applications: 10.41%

    The bottom 15% of applicants should expect a response rate of 2.83%, and the top 15% of applicants should expect a response rate of 17.99%.

     

     

    Class Standing

    "It's significantly easier to land a junior year internship."

    CONFIRMED

    You'll get more responses as you gain experience and internships throughout your college career. Open and shut.

    Position Offered Interview
    Freshman Internship 7.96%
    Sophomore Internship 8.31%
    Junior Internship 12.27%

     

     

    Intern vs Full Time

    "It's easier to get interviews for full time positions than internships."

    PLAUSIBLE

    There may be more job openings and you may have more experience by the time you're a senior, but that's balanced out by the increased competition for full time jobs.

    Position Offered Interview
    Internship 10.25%
    Full Time (New Grad) 10.68%

     

     

    Grade Point Average

    "Your GPA doesn't matter."

    PLAUSIBLE

    I received no response (NR) for the GPA field from about a quarter of the results, maybe because the applicants left it off their resume anyways. Nevertheless, there could be a slight trend correlating with GPA. A 3.0 may get you past the filter, and a 3.5+ might even impress the recruiter.

    GPA Offered Interview
    NR 8.59%
    3.0-3.4 12.13%
    3.5-4.0 10.48%

     

     

    University Ranking

    "Your university's prestige will get your resume looked at."

    CONFIRMED

    Remember, these results are all from online applications. Target schools obviously have better career fairs and networking, but when you're applying online, the only difference is the name of your school. And survey says that this one line on your resume may still make a difference.

    School Offered Interview
    Top 10 14.29%
    Top 100 10.65%
    Outside Top 100 5.83%

     

     

    Previous Internships

    "Recruiters prefer resumes with more applied experience."

    CONFIRMED

    The confounding variable here is class standing, since Juniors are more likely to have a previous internship and companies may simply prefer Juniors. Nevertheless, the results speak for themselves.

    Previous Internships Offered Interview
    No 7.73%
    Yes 12.40%

     

     

     

    Notes

    • These are the results of a survey, not an experiment. Needless to say, correlation does not imply causation, and confounding variables are not accounted for.
    • From the responses, 70% of respondents come from top 100 schools and their average GPA was 3.5. So however low these interview rates may seem, they're probably still above average due to the inherent selection bias here in /r/cscareerquestions.
    • Did you keep track of your results and want them published here? Fill out this anonymous Google Forms (https://goo.gl/forms/faBQYFd1R528b6xb2), and I'll update the results immediately.

     

    Stats

    Responses: 70 <- Let's bring this up!

    Average standard deviation: 7.58%

    (PM me if you want the raw data. It comes with a sexy pivot table.)

    Last updated: February 7, 2018 at 6:40 PM PST

    submitted by /u/a097
    [link] [comments]

    Middle of the bell curve

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 05:21 PM PST

    So lately (really all the time) I've seen on this sub, and in schools and other forums, success stories of people who either had big N company jobs making +150k before or right upon graduating. I'm here to say, that just because you don't have that, doesn't mean you're not successful. That's why I'm going to share my story.

    I went to college at the second largest school in the USA, which has a decent CS program. Not fantastic, but not terrible. I'd say, decent. Had one IT related internship (SharePoint management and training stuff, plus other hardware "repair" tasks) and one no name startup job programming in python. Graduated with a 3.3 GPA. Was unemployed for over a year job searching and attempting to make my resume better, while also doing what it took to pay loans and eat. After a year, I got offered a job that pays 70k with benefits, which is more than enough to live, and then some. I've now been at that company for over a year, and though it's not my dream job and sometimes it rough, I've learned more about software development than my 5 years of college combined.

    I guess the point of my story is this: just because you're not at the best company, making the most money, it's okay. Not everyone has that big job. The thing that helps me keep perspective, is something a mentor told me a while back "just put one foot in front of the other, don't worry what others are doing. Just focus that you're on the path you have. Everyone takes a different path, and that's okay."

    Sorry, it's a little sappy. But, I think a majority of people in that are entering this field get a combination of jealousy and imposter syndrome , and it's just not healthy.

    submitted by /u/chiveygnome
    [link] [comments]

    Why are support engineer positions not discussed more often on here?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 09:14 AM PST

    I've been a support engineer for around 5 years now and I have had an awesome experience. Prior to that, I got my CS degree from Cal (berkeley) and had a summer internship at a Big N that transitioned to full time, but I was fired after 7 months when I wasn't able to contribute as much as my peers (I deserved it, I had no clue what I was doing most of the time). After that I have worked at 2 different very large tech companies as a product support engineer, and most recently a senior technical support engineer. I just moved out of the bay area to the north Dallas area with my wife.

    Honestly, moving from dev to support has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. There are significantly less strict deadlines and each company I have worked at has taken the time to train their support engineers thoroughly. The job is also way less stressful in my opinion and you have much more job security. Also, at every company I have worked at (with the exception of my current company, since we just filled all of our support positions) have pretty much always been hiring for support positions without much luck. People just do not find it a desirable position for some reason. At my last company, our dev positions would have 50+ applicants per position whereas our support positions would have 3-5.

    The pay is obviously less, but not as low as you guys think. 7 months out of college around 5 years ago my first support engineer salary offer was $78k, working 35 hours per week. Currently, I am making $115k/yr and together with my wife we make just over $200k/yr, which is easily enough for us to max out our 401k and IRA, as well as pay off two cars and our mortgage in the north Dallas area. Plus we have more than enough in excess to put into our savings accounts and travel twice per year (typically internationally, we love travellling!!)

    I'm honestly baffled by the amount of posts here talking about how stressed out they are at work and that they don't like the 10-12 hour workdays and always having to grind to learn new technologies. Why not consider support engineer positions? There is less stress, lots of job opportunities, and good work-life balance. Of course, the pay is lower, but I would never go back to the stressful life of development at the Big N I was working at for a 25% higher salary.

    submitted by /u/00097
    [link] [comments]

    People who got crazy offers after studying CTCI and leetcode for months, how are you doing now?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 04:57 AM PST

    With so many people here in the sub describing their experience to getting a big4 offer and saying how it's all about determination (a bit of luck too) and perseverance while studying and prepping for the interviews, I thought it'd be interesting to see how they are doing now and how was their experience.

    So if you got a big4/unicorn offer through the method described above, please post your experience, here're a few questions that you can follow:
    What level were you hired at?
    Was it easy to fit into a team?
    Did you ever feel like you're not delivering enough?
    How different is it compared to where you were working before?

    I know some of these will vary by company but still I think it'd be interesting to know, so please share!

    submitted by /u/MyUsernamePls
    [link] [comments]

    I hate my job. I also can't seem to get a new one.

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 04:37 PM PST

    I really can't tell if I should just stay here for years or leave quickly.

    Things that are tiring me out:

    • 2+ hours of commute a day

    • Long, 10 hour days

    • No co-workers to mesh with.

    • Work is mostly with old technologies

    • I live in the middle of nowhere

    When I was going to school, I was very interested in working on side projects. I used to wake up looking forward to programming. Now, I feel like it's hopeless. I don't want to be trapped here for years, just living for the weekends, retire for a few years then die.

    Why can't I find a new job easily? I used to do lots of side projects but it seems companies don't care. I could barely get interviews that I just took this job once I got the offer. I feel like I am developing a scarcity mindset.

    What kind of side projects should I do? How can I get a new job? Is there any hope?

    submitted by /u/HotStruggle
    [link] [comments]

    Average programmer: "Being a good problem solver is more important than being an expert in X language." Average recruiter or non-tech manager: "We want an expert in X language. No X, no fit."

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 04:12 PM PST

    As a job applicant, how do you work around this conflict in philosophy for the hiring process?

    submitted by /u/ExitingTheDonut
    [link] [comments]

    NoVA Startup Failed. No Contacts. Best Recruiters/Companies in DC/VA?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 12:29 PM PST

    I moved my family out to Northern VA (near DC) last summer for a job at a startup that just folded. I don't have any contacts in the area. I managed a machine learning team and I'm capable as a principal software engineer/researcher, a data scientist, and a manager.

    I like the area a lot and wouldn't mind staying here. That said, I have no idea who to call or how to navigate the job market here. I'm getting older (late 30s) and would also like to try out for Federal jobs, especially at agencies that can send people for PhDs.

    Is anyone here familiar with the area? Who would you recommend I reach out to?

    submitted by /u/Antipode179
    [link] [comments]

    Those who have completed lots of leetcode questions as practice: do you just answer whatever questions you want, or are there criteria you use?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 06:27 AM PST

    Alongside searching for jobs, I've started with Leetcode recently. It's nice and all, but it brings in my face how inexperienced I really am. I haven't tried a "hard" question yet, but even the "mediums" can take me an average of an hour and a half.

    As a newbie to that site, I was wondering from those who have completed a ton of questions:

    1.) Is there any logic you employ to decide whether a question is worth your time (such as ratings), or do you just stick with something if it's interesting to you? I've just been picking interesting things.

    2.) Do you put a time limit on yourself where if you're stuck for that time, you'll just give up and look at the answer? I don't do this, and was wondering if things would be better if I did. I can't spend all day on these questions, even if I have a lot of time.

    submitted by /u/proginprocess
    [link] [comments]

    Good side projects?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 07:56 PM PST

    I've been struggling to come up with a good side project idea for a while. Before I liked to create games for side projects. I have also been interested in video game emulation. Are these worthwhile projects? How would it help set me apart from other candidates in future job applications?

    I see lots of advice saying I should build another web app but it's not as fun or interesting for me.

    submitted by /u/HotStruggle
    [link] [comments]

    Should a college freshmen be practicing LeetCode?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 07:26 AM PST

    As my second semester is coming to and end I am happy to say I've learned a lot this year in math and computer science and also very happy to say I have a great GPA in both those classes.

    I'm now wondering how I can best set myself up to get a great career once out of college and so I figure why not start early with whatever it takes.

    I see a lot of posts about LeetCode and was wondering if it is too early for me to practice technical interview type questions? I was thinking of doing one kind of problem a day so by the time I graduate I should have a very strong idea of how to apply logic to these types of things.

    On top of that, is there anything else I should be doing? Start contributing to open source projects? Set up my own website portfolio?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/LifeDisease
    [link] [comments]

    Do you get ghosted after a recruiter tells you that they will call back to set things up/have submitted your application to the HM?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 12:46 PM PST

    I get (many? Approx 10-20% rate) callbacks from recruiters but that's kind of where it stops.

    They do the typical 30-60 minute "why do you want to work here, when are you available to interview, what are you doing/using at work, how much is your salary, how much do you expect as compensation, etc"

    Then it usually ends up on a good note, they say they will forward my res00me to the HM to set up some interview times, and I don't hear back from them ever again. (Two got to the point of setting up initial interviews yet they never called back again to confirm or called me on the day of the of interview. Neither did they email me back either. Both were back in December.)

    I have tried following up with emails after a week has elapsed but many don't reply and a couple have said, "we submitted your res00me, and we will follow up when we hear back from the manager" type of thing.

    Another thing that happens is they will email me asking me to "give us a good time we can get together and chat" and I email them back with several dates/times across a week and tell them if that's not working out, we can see what works, and it doesn't move forward from that much often either (or if it does, it turns into scenario 1).

    I don't know if this is typical behavior or what.

    Bad luck? Fucking something up with the recruiter?

    I had my res00me professionally written back in September when I started applying and I think I'm hitting a good response rate, so I don't think it's that.

    I also have like the most generic sounding pasty white guy name, so maybe I am too forgettable. Lol

    submitted by /u/StrongStorage
    [link] [comments]

    Interning at Intuit or Tesla after Junior Year?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 06:14 PM PST

    I interned at Tesla (Palo Alto) before and had a great time. But Intuit (Mountain View) is paying me about 1.5x what Tesla will and from it seems like they have better work life balance than Tesla. On the other hand, I get the feeling that when I apply to other companies for full time, they would see it as a "downgrade" moving from Tesla to Intuit. I will be doing Full Stack JS at both companies.

    submitted by /u/cscientist1
    [link] [comments]

    Moving to the US, what can I expect with my degree?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 06:05 PM PST

    Hello and thank you for stopping by!

    I'll try to be concise for the sake of everyone reading this. I'm moving to the US in the future (4 to 5 years from now) and I'd like to know what I can expect job-wise.

    My degree doesn't really translate 1:1 from what I've seen, but it's essentially a watered-down 3-year version of the standard 5-year Computer Engineering degree that we have here (which in reality, is between 6 or 7 years for the average nerd). I'm thinking it might be somewhat like an Associate's degree but I'm not entirely sure from what I've been reading, you guys make that degree sound extremely basic, almost useless.

    However, what is clear to me is that I won't have the advantage of a "real" degree. In that case, should I start working on a portfolio to offset my lack of a Bachelor's degree? Is a portfolio actually valuable at all over there?

    I honestly have no idea what the hiring process is really like in the US, so the optimal course of action escapes me. Having a nice gilded paper saying you know X is a great advantage, but is it possible to show potential employers that you have the knowledge required otherwise?

    If any of you have some advice they would like to give, please comment! Thank you very much for your time!

    submitted by /u/dissonantDev
    [link] [comments]

    Hitting a major blocker in my career. Any advice on how to effectively change course?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 03:38 PM PST

    A little background on my situation:

    • Graduated with a BS in Math in 2015
    • During the last couple of years of college, started getting into programming - namely Python, HTML/CSS
    • Hired by large tech company right after graduation
    • Immediately was put into a Java bootcamp and learned a lot of valuable skills
    • Then I was thrown into learning Salesforce and was pushed into getting the Salesforce Certified Administrator certification
    • As soon as I got the cert, I was pushed onto a project where I still am. I basically am part of the support team for this company's iteration of Salesforce.
    • The project was extended to 2020, but I have been very unhappy with my placement
    • I've tried to express my discontent with my supervisors as well as my desire to work on something that requires more programming skills since that's what I was hired for in the first place
    • They've been giving me the runaround for over a year, and I am still in this uncomfortable spot
    • In the meantime, I have been aggressively trying to learn more skills. I have strengthened my knowledge in Python and Java in addition to learning C#, SQL, Javascript and various web frameworks

    So my question. I've been applying to so many places, but nothing is turning up. I can't help but feel that the experience I do have at current company is basically useless because people seem to turn their noses up at Salesforce if they're not explicitly looking for it. There are not many opportunities in my area besides the company I currently work for, so I've turned to expanding my search radius. However, I still have no luck.

    I do have some things in my github that kind of serves as my portfolio. I'm also working on developing my own CV website.

    I'm trying to see if anyone here has been in a similar situation and can offer advice on what to do.

    TL;DR - Unhappy with where I am now, but my unconventional background makes it hard to get in anywhere else.

    submitted by /u/ceamaehan
    [link] [comments]

    Is a state pension worth the 30 year commitment?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 07:18 AM PST

    I was just offered a job with a school district which comes with a pension, so if I stay there long enough I can retire and get 40K or more in retirement benefits annually.

    This seems like a much better deal than a 401K since I don't assume any of the risk. The penaion is guaranteed as long as the state doesn't go bankrupt.

    The downsides are that I wouldn't see those benefits for 30 yeaes and that is a long time to stay somewhere in our industry. The pay is decent and there is a 3.5 percent annual raise but I think private sector can pay more in many cases.

    Thoughts? Am I overvaluing the pension?

    submitted by /u/The_True_Zephos
    [link] [comments]

    Recruiter wants me to tell current employer that I'm looking elsewhere. Aye or nay?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 01:13 PM PST

    Almost three years ago, I was hired into a contract-to-hire position at a small software firm through a recruiting company and was converted to a permanent position. I'm now looking for other opportunities. I had a great experience with the recruiting company, and so I went to them to tell them I'm in the market for a new position. Once they had a lead for me, they said they won't submit my resume for the position until I tell my current employer that I'm actively looking into changing jobs, because the recruiting company has a healthy relationship with my current employer (in fact, they're actively filling two roles at my current job). This is a really great lead: large pay bump, stay in my area, neat new tech to learn on the job while still utilizing my best skill sets. So now I'm torn - do I possibly give up a great lead and just keep my mouth shut because I don't want to possibly get fired, or tell my boss and hope for the best? Is what the recruiter asking me to do even kosher?

    submitted by /u/sethj11
    [link] [comments]

    Contract to Hire?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 10:07 AM PST

    Would you guys consider a contract to hire position? Do you have experience with it?

    I'm facing one now, not sure if the risk is worth the reward.

    submitted by /u/PM_ME_SQL_INJECTIONS
    [link] [comments]

    How to deal with the feeling that you're not ready?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 04:50 PM PST

    My friend has hooked me up with an interview at a decent-sized company in the Seattle area (not sure if I'd call them a "unicorn") for a junior/entry-level SDE position, and I've been spending the past month prepping. I have no CS background outside of a couple of courses that I took ages ago, so I've been reading through the algorithm design manual and CLRS, doing problems out of CTCI, and trying to do at least 3-4 LeetCode questions per day to try and make up for it. I've never done a technical interview, so I have no idea just how the interview will be structured, but after hearing about some of the interviewing experiences other people have had for similarly skilled positions, I go from feeling like I'm decently prepared to feeling like I will just bomb it. I really have no idea what to expect. A friend of a friend said they asked him the equivalent of a LC easy, which is doable, but I hear a lot of people on here saying they get asked LC mediums and hards during their interviews, and I really struggle with those at the moment.

    I also don't really have that great of experience (hence why I'm interviewing for a junior/entry-level role). I do data entry for a small startup with a bit of development, but I haven't done anything major for the company. I've mostly worked on bug fixes and developed some pretty minor features. Only recently have I started a major project, and it's just creating some tools to make the data entry easier (essentially a CRUD app).

    In addition, I don't have any "impressive" projects on my github (or at least what some might consider to be impressive). I essentially have a couple of IRC bots written in Go and Python, a maze generator written in Go, and a CLI torrent client written in Python; none of which are really "finished." I'm working on a couple of web applications that I can use for my resume (live video streaming website and a simple-ish CRUD app), but they're far from even a demonstration.

    I'm worried that I'm woefully unprepared for this interview, and for the field in general. This interview is just about the best shot I have at getting into the field right now, and I'd love to do as well as I can on it, but I don't know if I'm even at an entry level yet. I'm going to meet with my friend that got me the interview over coffee and discuss some of this stuff with him and see what he has to think, but I wanted to get some perspectives from others as well.

    submitted by /u/2fd6d6
    [link] [comments]

    In dire need of guidance - I'm 28 years old, have never worked, and have the chance to go back to university. Should I, at this point?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 12:37 PM PST

    Hey everyone.

    So, I'm in a pretty peculiar situation. I had a pretty terrible youth that left me with with anxiety and PTSD, and thanks to an enabling environment and my own weakness, I was basically able to hide away for the past 10 years. I don't have any debts, but I don't have any savings either. My life at this point is a blank slate with a ton of lost time.

    Over the past year, I got what is the equivalent of a GED in this country (Belgium), and caught up on the math required to start my education in computer science. I've also been seeing a therapist for the past two and a half years, and I feel ready to pick up my life again.

    Only, I'm not too sure if going back to university at my age is a good idea, especially given my current situation. While I really like the subject matter, my true goal is to someday still be able to start a family. And that would seem really difficult if I only graduate at 32-33 years of age. Alongside that, I fear that even with a decent degree, I'd be effectively unemployable.

    I basically have these options:

    • Do nothing and potentially perform menial labor for the rest of my life
    • Spend 6 months following some job placement in IT, and have a meager chance at getting a job in the industry
    • Spend 2 years doing more advanced training in IT that gives me a slightly higher chance at getting a job in the industry
    • Spend 3 years doing a professional bachelor in IT
    • Spend 4 years doing an academic master in IT
    • Spend 5 years doing a master of science in engineering: computer science

    I'm relatively certain I'm intellectually capable. I've been assessed in that regard by something my therapist put together, and I certainly don't lack the "intelligence"; although the sheer man-hours required is another matter entirely, but a risk I'm nonetheless willing to take.

    I'm currently eying the 4 academic master in IT. In terms of starter salary, that puts me pretty close with the 5 year master, but means I can start one year earlier.

    Personally, I think that, all things being equal, having a degree like that 4 year master will still be better in the long term than if I start work 2 years earlier. The only reason that I wouldn't go for it is because I'd be pretty old at 32 when I get my degree, and because the degree would effectively be worthless because I'd be a 32 year old looking for his first (full-time) job.

    I'm pretty conflicted, and I'm wondering what you guys think about this situation that I'm in.

    submitted by /u/SuspiciousAssistance
    [link] [comments]

    Grad but no job

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 08:05 PM PST

    CS game design degree earned last yr.
    Interviews everywhere but no offers.
    1 game on steam. Another showed at a conference.
    Passed Oracle Certified Associates last Friday.
    Help me figure out what to do from this point.
    Do I get into Android dev since I now have a solid grasp on Java?
    Do I join those shady talent recruiters in Fremont who charge $25k for a mid level position after 3 months?
    Do I go to grad school full time?
    I job applied like 100 places for entry Java positions (I counted the thank you for applyings in my inbox) but Im worried this OCA doesnt mean shit and Im back in square one since graduating.

    submitted by /u/bomicbon
    [link] [comments]

    [META] New CSCQ Flair Bot

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 05:23 AM PST

    Hi there, contributors of CSCareerQuestions! There's a new flair bot in town (hint: it's me)! The flair rules and colors all remain the same, but it was time for a more streamlined approach to receiving flair. The process is now a little different, and I have a neat new feature that I'm sure some of you will appreciate. If you have no idea what CSCQ flair is or how it works, please refer to this older thread for more information.

    What are the changes?!

    • Flair is now granted after PMing the bot. Gone are the days of responding to a thread and having a bot pick up the comments. Now, the bot listens to PMs. This makes for a more reliable bot with fewer moving parts, and also cuts down on some mod work to rotate threads every six months.
    • Flair is granted based on whichever is higher: top comment karma in CSCQ or new comment karma in CSCQ. So there are essentially more ways to get colored flair!
    • The bot can now change your flair text for you and keep your flair color in one easy step. Gone, also, are the days of changing your flair text and needing to post in the flair thread. Instead, you can ask me to change your flair text in one easy step and I will also maintain your color.

    Cool. I want colored flair. What do I do?

    Simply send a PM to /u/cscqflairbot with the subject line "Flair Me". The body text doesn't matter. Heck, here's a handy dandy link to PM me to quickly and easily send the exact PM you need.

    How is karma calculated?

    I calculate your total karma based on all your submissions and comments made to /r/cscareerquestions. I take your 1000 newest comments (across all of Reddit), as well as your 1000 top comments (again, across all of Reddit) and total the karma for each. I do the same for your submissions. Whichever listing (new or top) produces the highest karma total will determine your flair color.

    I will not change your flair if it would be worse than what you have now.

    You will receive a message with the following format. I'm gonna call SofaAssassin out since this is what I sent to him yesterday:

    Karma by top posts: 7375
    Karma by new posts: 4057
    Your highest karma was calculated using top posts.

    New flair would be worse than current flair, so no changes.

    Okay, neat. I want to change my flair text. What do I do?

    Simply send a PM to /u/cscqflairbot with the subject "Change Flair Text". In the body of the message, write the exact flair text you want without anything additional. For instance, if I want to change my flair text to "Senior Software Developer", I would send a PM that looks like this.

    Flair Color Reminder

    The colors and levels are the same as usual. As a reminder:

    500 -- Light Blue
    1000 -- Cornflower Blue
    3000 -- Royal Blue
    5000 -- Blue blue
    10000 -- Midnight blue
    20000 -- Super special gold color!

    The colors look like this.

    Additional Details About Me

    I run every 10 minutes, and you should receive a PM once I have adjusted your flair. Please be patient, as I'm limited by how quickly I'm allowed to use the Reddit API.

    I don't expect to get a flood of requests, but if you send multiple "Flair Me" messages to me, I will condense them down to a single request.

    If you send me multiple flair text change requests, I will use the most recent one.

    I'm written and maintained by /u/SofaAssassin. My code is here (psst it sucks).

    I'm a Heroku leech and cost $0 to run.

    What about the old bot?

    The old bot was written and maintained by /u/CriticDanger, and we thank both of them for many years of flair color service. For the time being, both bots will exist together while we iron out any issues, but eventually the old bot will probably disappear.


    Once again, please be patient after you've sent a PM while I churn through data and reddit updates. As always, send a message to the mods (/r/cscareerquestions) if you have any issues. You can also bother /u/SofaAssassin directly with questions.

    As always, thank you for being members of our community.

    submitted by /u/cscqflairbot
    [link] [comments]

    Perception of Snap

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 08:04 PM PST

    What do you all think of Snap right now vs traditional tech giants Microsoft/Amazon/Google.

    I am interested in Snap because the control over what team I get placed on, the people I will be working with (I hear they have great talent), and the level of ownership I can have over a project.

    Do you think these reasons are reasonable to consider Snap over a more traditional tech company?

    submitted by /u/ExtremeProposal
    [link] [comments]

    Should I remind internship company I am a sophomore?

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 02:04 PM PST

    I recently got an internship interview at a semi large company. However, I am a little worried.

    In previous interviews, the company was surprised I even got an interview, and basically said wait until next year! I understand that they wanted to hire students almost done with school, but it still wasted some time.

    So should I tell the recruiter that I am a sophomore? I put in the application that I graduate in 2020, but I would hate to take off school, and drive a while just to waste my time.

    Thanks for your advice!

    submitted by /u/TheCautiousGamer
    [link] [comments]

    Teaming up with a seller

    Posted: 07 Feb 2018 08:01 PM PST

    I'm a mid-level web developer recently out of a job (quit for family reasons, had to quickly relocate). A friend approached me with the idea of starting a small web agency together. She's not technical but a good seller. She would take care of selling websites/internet marketing to small and medium enterprises and handling client relations/getting paid. I'd take care of designing (or just using themes), creating and maintaining the websites. The websites in question would remain simple and range from static websites to something with a CMS behind it if needed (would most likely use Wordpress since I've used it before).

    I'm not that familiar with entrepreneurship, so I have a few questions. Is this a good idea? Bad idea? What percentage of shares should I claim if I want to go through with it? I was thinking doing a per-contract thing might work better (as in she finds a client, refers them to me and gets a percentage from the total price when they pay) but I don't know for sure. She seems to really want to create a startup and thinks it might get big. Does anybody have any experience with this kind of situation?

    submitted by /u/trauma_pigeon
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment