• Breaking News

    Monday, March 7, 2022

    What does a day in the life of a junior dev look like? learn programming

    What does a day in the life of a junior dev look like? learn programming


    What does a day in the life of a junior dev look like?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 09:06 AM PST

    Hello beautiful people,

    So basically I've been knees deep in JS after learning all the basic concepts. I've learned quite a lot of the React framework, but I want to still get better at fully understanding the adv concepts of JS. But I have yet to see on YouTube, etc about how those skills are used/utilized on the job…

    Is their a resource etc where I can learn those skills so when I apply to jobs I won't just be answering memorized answers to questions but also be able to be competent at my job.

    submitted by /u/Ssacrificial
    [link] [comments]

    Just finished a 70 hour Udemy Javascript course, what should be my next steps to becoming a full-stack web dev?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 05:01 AM PST

    I already know HTML and CSS, I just don't know where to go next.

    submitted by /u/ClawVFX29
    [link] [comments]

    How to motivate a remote junior developer? or is it a lost cause?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2022 08:55 PM PST

    Hi there, we are a small company who just hired a junior web developer. However, after 3 months we have noticed some blaring issues with work ethic, responsiveness on our messaging platform, and absence during the day. We have an apprenticeship model where they are paired with a very senior member. However, there have been reports that work is extremely slow, to the point that another junior developer can work at 3 times the pace. Work is sloppy, and mostly consist of spending weeks fixing own bugs. The senior developer is frustrated by lack of communication.

    I am aware that pushing people and micro-managing is considered counterproductive. But how do you motivate a remote worker? or is it a lost cause?

    submitted by /u/HiveMind4569
    [link] [comments]

    Very overwhelmed on where to start

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 04:19 PM PST

    I don't wanna be a question abuser. In the Odin project that a name for that "question pirate"? I'm not too sure. But someone who abuses questions

     I started learning some html and some css and a very minute amount of JavaScript. Then was like scrap that, and went on khan academy to purely focus on Java script. Then a girl in my class told me to try freecodecamp.org because khan academy doesn't teach practical code and just code on how to make pictures of a plate with food. Then a guy in my class said try learning C++. I've heard things like the language is the weapon. But I'm still very confused. And feel overwhelmed on where to start. I want to code to be able to of course get a job, but also solve problems and build things. I like both the problem solving part and the visual part. I'm very very much a beginner. I know there's no road map. Should I start by just reading a book on JavaScript? So if anyone has any tips on what I should start with as my step one id really appreciate. I'm looking for type of a mentor to help me on this journey as well 

    I'm a junior in high school if that helps create a better picture. Thanks

    submitted by /u/Walylu
    [link] [comments]

    Need some motivation, new to developing

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 01:34 PM PST

    As the title says I'm new to developing, I'm currently in a 30 week bootcamp focusing on fullstack JavaScript development.

    We just started JS and I like it so far, but I'm starting to wonder what more can be done with these skills other than build websites.

    I know that's not all there is to it, but I'm just lacking motivation right now. Templates and sites like Wix can let anyone build a site. So can some more seasoned developers explain the types of cool stuff I can look forward to developing in the future?

    Just looking for inspiration to keep at this thing. Thanks!

    Edit: I'm currently able to write alerts/build a temperature conversation/clock —- I know there's so much more to it than that, I just am very green in coding so I just want to know what more advanced stuff looks like so I can understand what I'm working towards.

    submitted by /u/OpusXxx
    [link] [comments]

    What do you guys think of Grokking’s algorithms?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 08:33 PM PST

    Bought this off of Amazon. Really enjoying it . I'm a beginner. I heard mixed reviews but I really like it. Will this help me with programming later? And how so?

    submitted by /u/Walylu
    [link] [comments]

    How can you use the gpu to run python? And where do you learn ai ml?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 10:02 PM PST

    Like I've heard that ai and ml works faster and better with the gpu, is it true and would running python under the gpu be efficient? Also, do you need a dgpu for python programming? And where can you learn python, and python ai ml?

    submitted by /u/Dennis-He
    [link] [comments]

    How do applications/websites actually store user information?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2022 12:01 AM PST

    Hi, so I'm kind of new to like this area I guess you could call it of programming. I'm sorry if these questions seem like common sense, I've just been stuck on how this type of stuff work.

    So I have already read the ways that applications store passwords and stuff. They would store the password in like a database (hashed and salted of course), and to check validation, they just hash the password inputted and the one thats stored. However, I have been trying to look up how they actually store the data?

    Lets say I am trying to store a JSON file that contains information like a profile picture, some game progress or license key, etc, how would I securely store that and access it with a account based system? Do they just encrypt that data with the raw password and use the password to decrypt that data client side?

    Another question I have is how does stuff like profile pictures work? How can a application make it so its publicly viewable but only the account owner can edit it?

    I would assume they can just store it in a database just raw and have checks to see if the user is the one editing the profile picture but I don't think that is secure at all?

    submitted by /u/FortniteSucks103
    [link] [comments]

    Dropping out

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 07:57 PM PST

    Hi everyone, I've been in college for a couple years at this point and everything is kind of just all falling apart. My mental health has taken a rapid dive and it has been hard to even look at due dates or assignments without feeling extremely disappointed and suicidal. My grades have been tanking for a while and it's just a bit too much to come back from at this point in the semester. I'm really worried about having opportunities in the field after this and was hoping to get advice or reassurance from anyone that may have some helpful insight.

    Here's some key points I wanted to just make clear

    1. I'm far enough behind in my classes that reaching out to my professors would be to no avail (could just be insecurity and depression talking here)

    2) I still have around 2 years in my degree and making it past this semester seems like my total limit

    3) Due to my grades I have stopped being able to receive financial aid.

    4) I'm paying out of pocket and with the last of the loans I was able to get for my school

    5) I have made really big strides through a lot of open source github repos for "coding university" and I feel really self motivated and that I fully grasp the concepts when I can use my own analysis.

    6)Theres a local apprenticeship that takes in individuals that are interested in tech and has a 9 week "bootcamp" and then they give you a reference to apply to one of the companies that works with them. Website is here, from what I hear they are a legit company.

    Sorry if this post comes across as lazy or needy. Just could really use some help/advice from anyone else. Thanks

    Edit: Fixed the website hyperlink

    submitted by /u/CompStudentLUL
    [link] [comments]

    How do i create a portfolio, do i replicate websites or create my own thing and what do recruiters look out for

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 09:14 PM PST

    i'm almost done with my bootcamp and i'm a bit lost in what to create, i think i've overwhelmed myself and that's why i'm scared and lost

    submitted by /u/zuzutonene
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone give me some pointers on how to implement this project?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 11:21 PM PST

    I kind of want to make a fun, creative app and I love 40K so I want to implement a pseudo-Army Painter from Dawn of War 2.

    Would link a screenshot but this is against the rules but basically you would have like a space marine in power armour and you could paint different sections of the marine (chest, leg, shoulder pauldrons, helmet) from a selection of colours.

    The only issue is that this is a pretty non-standard project so there doesn't seem to be any tutorials on it. I'm not even sure where I could get a model of a space marine... Would this be doable with React? Or would it require something like Three.js/D3?

    submitted by /u/chillblaze
    [link] [comments]

    Transform this single line for loop into nested for loops [Python]

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 09:57 PM PST

    Single line for loops are a bit harder for me to comprehend, can someone turn this code below into nested for loops so that I can better understand this part of the code I'm working on:

    p = [[ -2 for x in range(n + 1)] for y in range(m + 1)] 

    p should be like an array p[][]

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/vanaconsuela
    [link] [comments]

    Need some help with creating this ERD from a given scenario for homework. I'm just not getting it right.

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 09:25 PM PST

    Hope databases are allowed here. I'm still new to this and am learning. So I'm sure this'll be a simple scenario for a lot of you but I'm struggling a bit.

    Here's where i got it to. https://imgur.com/a/TA7Mydf

    Has to be done in uml notation.

    Thanks will appreciate any feedback

    Edit

    Firstly am i right saying packages and employees are a one to many relationship or will they be many to many?

    Are these entities even correct? I feel like software, hardware, network should have been done differently but i dont know how.

    Am i doing the times available correctly? For engeneer and client.

    Idk theres just so much here i felt like i messed up. Any advice will be really appreciated.

    submitted by /u/powypow
    [link] [comments]

    what is a use case for rtl in html

    Posted: 07 Mar 2022 12:56 AM PST

    i don't understand the point of rtl and cant think of a reason why anyone would use it

    <bdo dir="rtl">this is jiberish </bdo>

    submitted by /u/i_inject_crayons2
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with assembly MASM

    Posted: 07 Mar 2022 12:49 AM PST

    It needs to calculate ((n*k)!(n-k)!)m for n,k and m, where (1<k<n&(nk<13)&m>1. the input data is m=3,k=2,n=6

    submitted by /u/Amazing-Implement282
    [link] [comments]

    Finding a job anxiety any advice would be great

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 08:59 PM PST

    I am a 20y/o student in a pretty good coding boot camp and am losing so much sleep because my boot camp ends within a few weeks. I feel like I'm doing pretty good academically not perfect but fine but the uncertainty of finding a job is unbearable. What if I don't? I go back to working at fast food the rest of my life depressed not seeing a point? I have enough money to last me a little bit but still, do I just apply for every job I find? I will do no matter what it takes to get myself out of this crappy situation. I assume I should start leet coding tomorrow until the end of the boot camp but other than just applying for every job I find I have no clue where to even get started. I'm on very little sleep sorry if this doesn't make sense but you should be able to grasp what I'm trying to say. Any advice would be amazing at this point, I've spent so much time programming and grinding for this that I've lost all my friends I feel alone and don't know where to go from here. Thank you for reading.

    submitted by /u/CommercialYams
    [link] [comments]

    Job opportunies in Switzerland

    Posted: 07 Mar 2022 12:44 AM PST

    I am planning and I am currently enrolled for the front-end dev course on Codecademy but I am uncertain if I shouldnt rather go to school again, maybe even change career paths into Data Analysis or something like that. I rather not go to school and carve my own path if thats possible, does anybody have any experience with this type of problem specifically in Switzerland?

    submitted by /u/jsnuuub
    [link] [comments]

    What are the most important courses you took in a CS program?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2022 12:43 AM PST

    Where you learned stuff that you use on a daily basis at work as a software developer? What are some of the least important courses?

    submitted by /u/run4quest
    [link] [comments]

    I have no idea how to use linked list in C

    Posted: 07 Mar 2022 12:34 AM PST

    Hey guys, I am studying C programming and can't really wrap my head around this topic. I want a linked list with multiple data items, and print every data items. For example, i have a name, address, location, and contact. I want to print every data items , what should i do?

    submitted by /u/mugglebored
    [link] [comments]

    Learning anew trying to idiot proof simple program (Visual Basic)

    Posted: 07 Mar 2022 12:34 AM PST

    It's been over 15 years since I've programmed anything, and even then it was only in a 101 course.

    At work we use spreadsheets for shift logs and a new one is made every Friday. Normally this falls to me as I work the overnight from Thursday, but recently another employee had to fill in for me and I had to explain how to copy and rename files in windows to them over the phone (they were unaware the mouse had two buttons for starters). This is not our least computer literate person, so I decided it would be best if they could just hit a button.

    I've almost finished a rather small program in Visual Basic that just has a DateTimePicker and a Button that will make a copy of the template log with the appropriate start date in the file name.

    The issue is I don't trust them not to delete, move, rename, or otherwise molest the template and break the whole process.

    Is there a way to pack the xlsx file inside the executable so the process isn't dependent on it being somewhere on the system?

    submitted by /u/Jundas
    [link] [comments]

    could it be that I'm just untalented/dumb?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2022 12:23 AM PST

    I've recently started programming again, and every single time i have to do a task/an exercise i have to think soo so hard and i usually don't get it right. does anyone else feel like that? is programming just not for me?

    submitted by /u/toxicistoxic
    [link] [comments]

    Bs Information technology vs Bs Computer science

    Posted: 07 Mar 2022 12:15 AM PST

    Hey everybody, I am currently getting my bachelor in the IT field and took advanced programming course as well as communication and network classes. Due to family reason, I will have to transfer to a new university and they offered me to start a computer science degree or continue my Information technology degree.

    My question is what are the benefits of each degree, what would be a smarter decision for future jobs?

    submitted by /u/learningstockss
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure what I wanna do in programming

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 07:30 AM PST

    So I really like programming it's something I've been doing as a hobby for a bit and I'm actually now in college for it (first year) specifically though I really like the game development side of it, however, lately, I've just not been motivated to actually make games or do coding in general and I started thinking and realizing that outside of school work I've done literally nothing I've never made anything besides things from tutorials and a bunch of random unfinished stuff hell I'm still not even good with a single language and I'm now kind of going through a crisis of not being able to decide what I wanna do with programming do I wanna continue with it? do I wanna do game development still? do I wanna try making software? etc. I've tried out java, python, C++, rust, HTML and I just can't stick with any of them to learn without randomly stopping or wanting to switch to something new.

    So yeah looking to maybe get some advice on what I should do in this situation.

    submitted by /u/Complexiey
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about becoming a successful self teach developer?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 11:53 PM PST

    Hi, I have a couple of questions about becoming a self taught developer:

    1) Is web development the best and only real option for getting a job as a self taught developer?

    2) How many months/years of studying does it take (and hours a day/days a week if u don't mind) before you start applying for jobs?

    3) What percentage of software jobs are web development based, is it the majority?

    4) Does age and race matter when applying for jobs? I mean is that what they make judgements on if you don't have a degree?

    5) What do you think is the success and failure ratio for self taught devs based on your experiences?

    I actually do have the opportunity to study a computer science degree (20k-30k student loans tho) but I am more interested in the content learned then anything really and I know that nearly everything can all be learned though the internet. So internal battle of what is the best option...!

    Background: 25 yo former construction labourer for 6 years, quit, and now I am looking at becoming a software developer.

    submitted by /u/run4quest
    [link] [comments]

    Learning Python as part of a CS course I'm taking just for fun. Instructor has outsourced all programming instruction to Codecademy.

    Posted: 06 Mar 2022 11:53 PM PST

    I'm taking a remote 101-level computer science course at my local community college in my spare time, and the bulk of the course is dedicated to learning Python. However, the instructor is simply having us work our way through Codecademy modules and there is no instruction from him. I'd normally be ok with that as I enjoy teaching myself things, except I'm struggling mightily with learning the concepts.

    My question ultimately is: is it to be expected that someone with no prior programming experience would struggle to learn Python with Codecademy, or is it possible my brain is just not wired for programming? Sorry if this is the wrong sub.

    submitted by /u/AdLow8925
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment