• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 16, 2022

    [RANT] No you should not quit programming learn programming

    [RANT] No you should not quit programming learn programming


    [RANT] No you should not quit programming

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 11:30 AM PST

    I've seen more than one post that boils down to "I'm bad at x should I quit programming?"

    No. You should come to this sub and articulate what you need help with and let people help you to get better.

    That's all.

    Have a good day.

    submitted by /u/hat_tr1ck25
    [link] [comments]

    I took the risk and quit my job with $7000 savings to pursue becoming a Software Engineer

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 02:14 PM PST

    I quit my logistics coordinator job last week to pursue what I really want to do, become a software engineer. I don't have a degree of any kind, only a burning motivation to learn to code and become great. I know it won't be easy but I want to make sure I am doing the right things to get there.

    I have enough money to allow me to study for 8-10 Months, I still live with my parents. My parent are super supportive and want me to succeed! I have created a schedule that will allow me 12 Hrs a day of study time. What curriculum would be the best to becoming a SWE?

    I definitely want to do 'The Odin Project' but I know I should probably supplement that with something else, what would be the best option in your experience. (I think id like to be a backend engineer most likely)

    Thanks so much, this would be a huge help to get me started

    submitted by /u/katebush777
    [link] [comments]

    should I quit programming if I'm bad at javascript?

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 06:45 AM PST

    javascript is said to be the easy one for beginners to learn but I can't even solve one problem, do I quit or do I try to learn it another way?

    submitted by /u/Raman76
    [link] [comments]

    Free Live Programming Classes

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 05:18 PM PST

    Hello everyone! We are running two new courses, Intro to C++ and Applications of Python, along with rerunning our intro to Python course.

    - Intro to Python is great for students who are looking to get into programming and be able to create whatever projects they want. Intro to Python: March 15 - May 31, Wednesdays 6-7 PM EST

    Sign up: https://forms.gle/VpHCMpPVMLkQfbfQ8

    - The Applications of Python Course teaches object-oriented programming in python with algorithms and data structures. Applications of Python: March 16 - May 18, Thursdays 6-7 PM EST

    Sign up: https://forms.gle/oz4tKp7yybVDVkN59

    - Our Intro to C++ course is for students looking to learn programming with a deeper understanding of how everything works behind the scenes. Intro to C++: March 14 - June 6, Mondays 6-7 PM EST

    Sign up: https://forms.gle/C2Y4FhFr3j9XooNq5

    Find out more at https://returnstem.org!

    submitted by /u/JONG_MCA
    [link] [comments]

    How to become better self taught programmer

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 08:08 AM PST

    So before anyone suggests studying at college/university, I tried it and gotta say that's not my thing and I basically dropped out. I've started learning myself about 3 weeks ago during my free time from work and it just feels different. While I was studying I feel like I was losing my motivation since I couldn't even force myself to open up my laptop sometimes, even if I did I'd end up getting bored/demotivated very quicly. But learning by myself feels like my interest and enjoyment of coding jumps from 0 to 100. I don't know why it is like that for me, just what I am I guess. So yeah, just throwing it out there to say that I want to become self taught.

    I managed to learn some basics of SQL, js, php, css and html, mostly from nowadays popular hours long youtube tutorials. I take my time to try and understand every bit of content I watch, writing some little ideas myself to test my knowledge, playing around with different commands etc. so I could take 100% from every piece of content I watch. The problem is I feel like I got some decent begginer knowledge, but how do I go further? The end goal from learning perspective is being able to create something whether it would be a website, app or some piece of software. (From life perspective - find a job in IT someday lol). But then I think about how much do I know now and basically how do I get from "this" to "that". Is it just improvising and using imagination to slowly work up to that point gathering information bit by bit or maybe taking some online courses or reading books. I was thinking about maybe doing some internship if I manage to find something, but I have no idea if it's viable only knowing some begginer stuff.

    So to sum up I guess what I want to ask is how do self taught programmers get from begginer to pro and what suggestions you may have to a fired up begginer like me.

    P.S. sorry if english is bad, not native language.

    Tldr: self taught begginer, what path do I take to get from zero to hero.

    Edit: Wow I honestly didn't expect so much feedback. Thank you everyone for great tips and advices!!!

    submitted by /u/Araashio
    [link] [comments]

    Use this post as resource sharing����

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 02:45 AM PST

    Here are my bookmarked websites which helped me a lot:

    - for building a great CV (I'm sure you'll want to get them a coffee): https://flowcv.io/

    - for learning fast typing: https://www.typing.com/

    - for exploring great apps: https://www.producthunt.com/

    - for learning programming: https://www.theodinproject.com/

    - for following latest business news: https://www.forbes.com/

    - for paraphrasing text: https://quillbot.com/

    - for awesome wallpapers: https://wallhaven.cc/

    submitted by /u/islambek97
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make sure I don't forget what I learned after learning front end dev?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 02:34 AM PST

    At the last period of time, I was done learning CSS. But I forgot the codes and attributes and started forgetting ideas for websites, what should I do?

    submitted by /u/Anonymous3922t
    [link] [comments]

    Might sound stupid, but how do I review my code

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 12:03 AM PST

    Maybe review is not the right term. I want to improve, and I might have made many errors or have made multiple issues which are looked down upon or are inefficient. I realised that one way to improve in any skill is to review your progress and make changes accordingly. How do I do that in this field.

    Another side question, I've heard a few people talk about improving by looking into other people's code, usually referring to looking into git repos. Like, do we just look into a repository? pull it down and look at it? Are there other ways I can improve myself?

    I'm really sorry if this is a common question. I went through the FAQ's and didn't necessarily see a question like this

    If this is already a question, please do let me know so I can take it down asap

    submitted by /u/SharpPhoenix
    [link] [comments]

    Can't understand what is happening in this problem

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 11:39 PM PST

    Hi there! I'm currently doing TOP and have been already about 4 days in the first exercise which consists in creating the rock, paper scissors game. First big problem I had that forced me to re-read everything again, was that I was creating variables inside the function, therefore the main function couldn't use the value due to the scope.

    But now, variables are in a global scope, each function works individually, but when they are called in the main function, I can see through the console.log that even if result is Rock from user and Scissors from computer, result is always Draw no matter what, this time I really can't find where the problem is, if I missed something or I didn't understand clearly a concept. Will let a pen here; https://codepen.io/neith720/pen/NWwwpNJ

    Website is also asking me to give parameters to the function; function playRound(playerSelection, computerSelection) {}, and I planned to do that by creating two variables: let playerSelection = userFunction(); let computerSelection = computerFunction();

    But clearly that isn't working either, don't know if it's correct or not doing that since the main thing is that result is always draw somehow.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Endercin
    [link] [comments]

    Your going to have bad days

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 08:36 PM PST

    I just spent 4 hours on a simple C program. And the pointers are still not right. I'm a college student minoring in compsci, I love problem solving, I'm good at programming, I'm in a supportive and structured learning environment and I will get the support I need from my Prof. tomorrow. Despite all these things, I had a shit day today. If your a student remember that tutoring is for successful students, not just struggling ones. If your a self learner the challenge you face is even greater. So don't let bad days define you, they are going to happen. .

    submitted by /u/kaykkot
    [link] [comments]

    How did you guys and gals read the books?

    Posted: 14 Feb 2022 08:32 PM PST

    I want to make a serious effort in learning C++ for my college class but man those text books are really boring. I love to read but even I find myself falling asleep with those books, should I just have more discipline? How did y'all get through the slog?

    EDIT: Thank you all for the advice! a lot of it looks helpful for those asking what the textbook is it's called "Starting Out with C++ from Control Structures to Objects (8th Edition)" by Tony Gaddis

    submitted by /u/DrTurkeySandwich
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any things that are known to be impossible to do with programming?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 12:13 AM PST

    I find that as I learn more and more about programming, I'm constantly surprised about the things that you can do with it. I'm just curious are there any really well known limitations with certain languages where perhaps something you'd assume to be doable is actually quite hard or impossible?

    submitted by /u/theleftkneeofthebee
    [link] [comments]

    OpengL. Shaders. C++. I have a haunting question��

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 12:09 AM PST

    Hi people, need your help. My total experience with programming (c++) is only 7 months. Pls, if the question is easy, I apologize .

    I recently learned how to apply lights via Fragment Shader. And I also made a super archaic version of procedural terrain generation . It is basically a grid of points on xyz where y-coord just randomly varies (super boring I know🤦🏽‍♂️)

    The questions are: 1) if glDrawArrays draws those coordinates through GL_TRIANGLES, then how can I make the terrain look smooth ? I read about cubic interpolation, if it works, how to apply it? I mean those triangles that make up the terrain look (obviously) "ugly" for a lack of a better word:)

    2) and then, how does OpenGL draw smooth lines in general? If it needs always 3 vertices for triangle. How do those triangles make smooth and complex 3d figures? Any special function maybe that I am not aware of? What is the logic/procedure behind?

    I would be very grateful for explanation or link that explains it very well even for beginners like me.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Sakesfar
    [link] [comments]

    How much time do programmers spend figuring out their code vs actually typing it

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 09:44 AM PST

    Novice programmer here, busy learning JavaScript. Obviously I spend a lot more time figuring out what to write, vs actually writing it. From what I've seen though, it seems programming is lots of figuring stuff out.

    Experienced programmers, what percentage of your time would you say you spend on just thinking, figuring stuff out and planning, vs actually just typing out what you have planned?

    submitted by /u/jacojerb
    [link] [comments]

    How do I read GPU Gems?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 02:49 AM PST

    How am I actually supposed to read this book and reproduce the examples in it? Im aware you can use your engine of choice, but what are they using in the actual book? I was told I could use Unity and should probably learn HLSL if I wanted to follow along. The HLSL part makes perfect sense, but I don't know how accurate the first part actually is. Im using unity to follow along and I cant keep up. If I use what they use in the book, would it be easier to do what they do? Or is there something more fundamental I need to be learning first before reading these?

    submitted by /u/JazzRhodes
    [link] [comments]

    I am not a programmer , but can think like a programmer. I want help of developers, I want to know which ones would be able to help me the best.

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 02:48 AM PST

    Consultancy and work required on: App development
    Developing a : Website , android app and iOS app
    Complexity: Blog style (think cragslist)
    Users write all posts
    Each post with images and other field attributes to be used for advanced search
    Each with Q&A (with multimedia support)
    Users can chat(with multimedia support)
    I aspire for clean code, very less glitchs, easy troubleshooting and easy maintainence
    Special requirement : I want to go flamboyant on the UI and buttery on UX
    Few other mostly static pages and a payment gateway
    My questions 1)Which type of app should I be making, I think a web app, but I am not very sure?, because app is more important than website
    2)Which sort of professionals am I looking to hire, what programming backgounds would help me?
    3)What are the best marketplaces for freelancers ? I just know Fiverr and Upwork, Good enough?
    4)As I need VFM maintainance , should I be looking at some inhouse solutions? Good contract companies?, I want to love the cloud!
    5)Also thinking at buying ready made code to use it as strucure, if that provides value. Please advise
    Expectations Looking for a fast and glitchless app, 2-4 months (flexible)
    Budget $3000-$8000 (Flexible)
    Vision We are a lean startup and coding is a very expensive, having the worst economies of scale here, I am even looking into low code solutions like bubble . But I don't want to take sub optimal decisions. Looking for bang for buck in the long run!

    If I have posted my request on an subreddit not meant for that, please pardon me and tell me where to post

    submitted by /u/peppydealsofficial
    [link] [comments]

    Can't set my 2d array to all zeroes in C

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 02:47 AM PST

    Hi guys,

    Having a bit of trouble with my C code if I could get some help please?

    Trying to initalise a 2d array of double zeroes but I can't figure out why it keeps incrementing. It's definitely something really obvious that I'm missing but I am code blind.

    Code is here:

    #include <stdio.h> int main () { int array_2D[5][5]; int row, col; //initialise row and cols to be 0// for (row = 0; row < 5; row++){ for (col = 0; col < 5; col++){ array_2D[row][col] = 0; } } //print the array for (row = 0; row < 5; row++){ for (col = 0; col < 5; col++){ printf("%d%d ", array_2D[row][col]); } printf("\n"); } //printf("%d%d\n",row, col); return 0; } 

    This is my output: https://imgur.com/a/LRxh2AS

    Definitely missing something but I have no idea what, and it is probably very obvious. If I can get a bit of help that'd be fantastic.

    Thanks a million!

    submitted by /u/rantycanty
    [link] [comments]

    RPG Help

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 02:37 AM PST

    Hi so I'm new to making games and stuff and I wanna create a multiplayer RPG, and I'm determined to do so and work out the kinks and whatnot but I'm not sure where to really start. Any ideas? Would also love it if anyone would wanna contribute to this project! I have ideas for characters and some areas but the idea is still really up in the air.

    submitted by /u/lilylotlot
    [link] [comments]

    How to I go about getting the mirror link from this json?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 02:32 AM PST

    json - https://torrents-csv.ml/service/search?q=fight%20club

    homepage - https://www.torrents-csv.ml/#/

    im trying to use the API to get the mirror link but im not sure how.

    i thought the infohash key was a cipher so im trying to decode it with Ciphey

    submitted by /u/dominic_l
    [link] [comments]

    vectors and arrays not holding objects with dynamic arrays

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 10:30 PM PST

    The title pretty much says it all, I have spent hours trying to figure out what is going wrong with my program and now that I have I can't figure out why this is an issue.

    I have a class with a dynamic array of objects and my destructor definition simply says delete[] arrayPtr; That is all the destructor says. Yet when I attempt to create multiple objects from this class and add them to a vector it is giving me a memory error because it calls the destructor twice on the same object. Someone please help this is hurting my brain.

    Oh and if this helps, I recreated the problem in another project with very simple code, so I will post that here.

    class class1 {

    private:

    int* arrayPtr; 

    public:

    class1(int x, int y) { arrayPtr = new int\[2\]; arrayPtr\[0\] = x; arrayPtr\[1\] = y; } 

    ~class1() { delete\[\] arrayPtr; } 

    };

    int main() {

    class1 obj(1, 2); class1 obj2(2, 3); vector<class1> vec; vec.push\_back(obj); vec.push\_back(obj2); return 1; 

    }

    submitted by /u/JayaRobur
    [link] [comments]

    How to run a Java program in python script?

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 10:27 PM PST

    Hi, I would like to write a python script for working with a java program. Is it possible? And if so how to do it?

    submitted by /u/MMentos
    [link] [comments]

    How can I get 'sign in with Google' to work using 'dj_rest_auth'?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 02:03 AM PST

    I'm trying to implement Google sign in using DRF
    and dj_rest_auth.

    I've set up 'django-allauth' with Google as provider and the sign in process works in the web browser.

    I need to connect an android app with my backend. I've created API endpoints which will require authentication.

    According to the docs, code
    is required in order to complete authentication and receive the token.

    After doing some research, I found that code
    required by dj_rest_auth can be obtained by visiting:

    https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/v2/auth?redirect_uri=<YOUR CALLBACK URL>&prompt=consent&response_type=code&client_id=<YOUR CLIENT ID>&scope=openid%20email&access_type=offline 

    However, even after passing code returned in the query param (after decoding from URL format), the following error is shown:

    Error retrieving access token: b'{\n "error": "invalid_grant",\n "error_description": "Bad Request"\n}' 

    To see if I can log in with a recent access token, I signed in with my Google account from the homepage , copied the access token from the admin section and submitted it to the endpoint http://localhost:8000/dj-rest-auth/google/. I was able to receive the auth token generated by dj_rest_auth.

    I need help in getting the auth token by providing code
    in the post request.

    My code:

    # urls.py ... path('dj-rest-auth/', include('dj_rest_auth.urls')), path('dj-rest-auth/registration/', include('dj_rest_auth.registration.urls')), path('dj-rest-auth/google/', home.GoogleLogin.as_view(), name='google_login'), ... 

    # views.py from allauth.socialaccount.providers.google.views import GoogleOAuth2Adapter from allauth.socialaccount.providers.oauth2.client import OAuth2Client from dj_rest_auth.registration.views import SocialLoginView class GoogleLogin(SocialLoginView): adapter_class = GoogleOAuth2Adapter callback_url = 'http://localhost:8000/accounts/google/login/callback/' client_class = OAuth2Client ... 

    References:

    Google Social Authentication with dj-rest-auth #220

    Minimal example for SPA implementation of social login #147

    Please help me.

    submitted by /u/AllStack
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with this

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 02:02 AM PST

    const mystery = ' '; //CHANGE THIS VALUE TO MAKE THE CONDITIONAL BELOW TRUE

    // LEAVE THIS CODE ALONE! (pretty please)

    if(mystery[0] === 'P' && mystery.length > 5 && mystery.indexOf('7') !== -1){

    console.log("YOU GOT IT!!!");

    }

    Cant seem to have skills to solve this

    submitted by /u/Leilebule
    [link] [comments]

    When you visit a website, where is the data coming from the server stored so that the client can view it? Is it stored temporarily in the memory of the client, on RAM?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 01:59 AM PST

    Question in title

    submitted by /u/AsideMaster
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to classify groups of multivariate time series collections

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 01:59 AM PST

    I have multiple timeseries curves that are considered a collection and precede an event. The outcome of the event is an integer on the scale of -5 to 5. There are many ways to produce the same outcome. For example, a specific combination of trends of the curves one way can predict an outcome of 5, but a different combination of trends can also predict an outcome of 5.

    I have received some guidance to use ROCKET classification as well as RidgeRegression, however, the first problem I have is grouping the curves into separate classes. I want to pair similar curve trend combinations with each other into a label, group 0 and so on. ROCKET can turn a timeseries curve collection into an array of features and the y_train data are the group labels which can be used with the Ridge Regression to train the model and predict a group label for a new collection of timeseries curves. However I first need to figure out how to label the collection of curves into groups prior to training.

    My first thought is that I can somehow use ROCKET and calculate how closely the features compare between curves. And if they are different enough by a threshold, it belongs to a new group label. My second thought is to use Dynamic Time Warping to do the same type of group/threshold process. Then I can put a class label to my training collections and train the RidgeRegression to each class so that it can make predictions for what group a new collection of curves belongs to.

    submitted by /u/Mets_CS11
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment