• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 16, 2022

    I made a cowsay interface with Svelte and HTML Canvas web developers

    I made a cowsay interface with Svelte and HTML Canvas web developers


    I made a cowsay interface with Svelte and HTML Canvas

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 12:00 PM PST

    moving voxel world made with three.js!

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 02:21 PM PST

    Just want to air some frustration

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 08:12 AM PST

    What is the benefit to a job poster to post a job titled Junior Web Developer and then ask for 3-5 years of extensive hand-on experience?! I'm getting really frustrated with how many posts say entry level or junior but it expects mid-senior experience. It wastes everyone's time! Mid's are not going to apply to a job titled junior and the experience expectation is going to scare away new people. So what's the point?! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! Just put reasonable expectations! I don't get it.

    hyperventilating

    I know this isn't a new thing to complain about. I'm just feeling frustrated and defeated.

    Rant end.

    submitted by /u/jimjimjim700
    [link] [comments]

    Best practice: JS or PHP

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 10:04 PM PST

    Today at work, my boss had me change all the functionality of a page from our web app I had been working on from Javascript to PHP. I really didn't understand what his reasoning was other than "that's how I've done it in other parts of the web app".

    He claimed he doesn't trust Javascript and that he feels it may be more prone to error. I had written and tested code that disabled buttons by adding a class through JS depending on the date. His approach was to delete all the HTML and make an Ajax call to a php page that would return the HTML of all the buttons with the disabled class included if it should be and then add them back to the page whenever the date was changed.

    TL;DR Is writing php pages that will be called with Ajax more robust than providing all functionality through Javascript?

    It frustrated me very much as I had to write the php page to return the html from his existing version for a similar case. The problem is he writes code that tends to be incredibly redundant. I'm talking hundreds of lines of the same code for something that could be a for loop after a tiny amount of upfront thinking.

    Extra comments: This is a SaaS company and I'm the only employee, before November '21 Boss wrote every line of code himself for the entire very extensive web app + desktop app. I'm not very confident in my web dev knowledge. Him and I often squabble over style and best practice since I prefer to write code that's more concise and he prefers more explicit code. He calls it more "readable" but I find harder to read as it's often over a thousand lines and the way he goes around it is by minimizing every function and only expanding the areas he's working on but since there is hardly any code annotation and I'm not familiar with the structure of the project I can't go directly to the area of the code causing the bug I'm to fix.

    submitted by /u/agh_ih8
    [link] [comments]

    How is this type of layout achieved where only the child elements in middle are following grid gap and others are overlapping? Webpage: https://www.apple.com/in/app-store/

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 03:16 AM PST

    I have ADHD and feel like I have hit a wall in progressing my programming knowledge.

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 12:31 AM PST

    I was diagnosed with ADHD at 25, which answered all of my questions about why I struggled in school my entire life. I enjoy web dev, CSS specifically. I understand a lot of JS, but just like with math class in school, when concepts get too abstract then my mind just shuts off. I look at a wall of code and become mentally overwhelmed.

    I sign up to tutorials and online courses and only make it 20% through before I give up. People with ADHD (for those who aren't familiar), their brains have almost a knee-jerk allergic reaction to things that don't stimulate us. It's a chemical issue.

    So, when trying to really grasp state in react, or event loops in node.js - while the idea of learning those topics interest me - in practice, my mind repels away and I can't focus because it feels too unstimulating (or boring).

    The will is there… the desire. But I struggle to code every day because I can't see beyond the technical mundane'ness and I get bored. Maybe it's because I haven't experienced "creating"' something cool with code yet; and it's all just… code so far. But I'm struggling here with motivation to keep going.

    Does anyone here who has ADHD have any advice for how you handle coding?

    submitted by /u/AcademicF
    [link] [comments]

    Share your tips and tricks about developing large-scale projects.

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 09:05 PM PST

    I'll start.

    Don't start developing asap. Plan and decide your roadmaps. Write a basic guide or documentation first. Create the project base(frameworks, libraries etc.) first. When creating something, first think about how it'd scale later.

    submitted by /u/hiccupq
    [link] [comments]

    Always have one element active using 100% CSS

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 01:36 AM PST

    Do personal projects matter when applying at a experiences-level market?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 01:00 AM PST

    I have some work experience and a degree. No I'm not a senior engineer, but certainly at some point, work experience matters more than personal projects, right?

    What are the chances a recruiter would want to see my projects?

    Thanks to anyone who can offer guidance.

    Bonus question: When does including personal projects on your resume start losing meaning/value to recruiters/employers?

    submitted by /u/Notalabel_4566
    [link] [comments]

    Freelancers, how do you communicate with your clients?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 01:55 AM PST

    What is your preferred way of communicating with your clients? Email, chat apps like Discord, video calls or something else?

    submitted by /u/brzzvrk
    [link] [comments]

    Chrome and Firefox soon to reach major version 100

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 10:46 AM PST

    chrome: WebSocket is closed before the connection is established.

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 10:49 PM PST

    The error code I get on my server side is 1006. The library I use for websocket is subsriptions-tranpot-ws.

    In my development environment everything is ok (traefik -> server).

    And I get this error in production environment (cloudflare -> traefik -> server). Even after I turn off cloudflare, this error still exists.

    Any idea, what's going wrong?

    Edit: I found the reason finally, it's caused by my network delay. I set the timeout to be 1s in my client side. After changing it to 5s, it works again. I guess I have to do some work on timeout.

    submitted by /u/yukiiiiii2008
    [link] [comments]

    Should your css be organized very well for small projects or is it a overkill?

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 10:29 PM PST

    For organizing css I mean organizing like 4 example typography colors layout etc or just put everything into a bigger css file

    submitted by /u/Bezero1
    [link] [comments]

    Is this take home assignment legit? It's only 3B mobile and deskotop but...

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 08:44 PM PST

    Figma file
    https://www.figma.com/file/2QkL945GRqOHTIBiXjm6on/test-1?node-id=186%3A40

    ##### The objectives are: - Create a web application in a folder called `<lastname>-html-css-test-1`. - Create a Figma account if you don't already have one. - Import the `test-1.fig` Figma file of one of our web components called ScoreSight. - Create an HTML page called `array-score-sight.html` where you slice the Figma file into pixel-perfect HTML/CSS. - You only need to focus on the "3B - Results" desktop and mobile views. - The resulting HTML page should be responsive and ready for a frontend engineer to start adding interactivity and API functionality. - Do not use JQuery, Zepto, or any external javascript frameworks. Only external CSS that can be hosted alongside the HTML page is acceptable. 
    submitted by /u/NotTJButCJ
    [link] [comments]

    Make my own form builder

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 12:29 AM PST

    Hello! I'm working on a knowledge base website for the company I work for. To make it easier on the few of use who would work on this internal site (I'm the only one who knows anything about coding, and I'm still pretty new to it), I'm helping create a CMS for it using PHP. What I'm looking for is some extra functionality in the add/edit pages I'll create soon.

    On each content page, I'll have a page title for sure, but then everything else is basically optional (these options include section titles, text bodies, images, videos, and accordions).

    I guess what I'm trying to do is to be able to click an "add section" button, and then in the new selection pick what that section will be in a drop down, and then the input would show up correctly for whatever I need (like selecting video would let me input the url, or something body related let's me input the text). I've tried looking up ways to do this, and the closest thing I've found is with React in js, basically dynamically adding section. I was hoping someone would have some wisdom and maybe even alibi to a tutorial on how to do these.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/jamesdevesque
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a common way to deploy updates to a production React web app without hoping that the user refreshes the page?

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 11:38 AM PST

    Problem: We are constantly updating our app with fixes and features. In React Native, the OS will install updates in the background, or if we use expo publish, the user needs to restart the app to get the latest bundle. On mobile this is fine because the OS regularly terminates the app to free up memory.

    On web, it's a different story. A lot of people leave their chrome tabs open for days, weeks, even months on end. If we deploy a new version, we have to hope that all the users refresh their browser tab(s) to receive the new version deployed by cloudfront. We could move a lot faster if we had a way to basically deprecate old versions.

    Possible Solution: The api is aware of the UI version connecting to it. I could have it respond with a special error to the UI to tell it that there's a new update, and on that error call window.reload()

    Other than that, I'm not sure what else to do. I'm finding it hard to google this because google keeps thinking I'm just trying to deploy my web app as a beginner, or that I'm trying to learn about Expo's over-the-air updates lol.

    How have other people solved this problem?

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/Wereperconpire
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody have an example of how to use PHP + JWT in the context a Client / Server case?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 03:30 AM PST

    Actually working share target PWA

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 03:22 AM PST

    Anybody who have an example of a working webapp that is a target for web sharing?

    submitted by /u/hasteiswaste
    [link] [comments]

    Trading card game website.

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 03:08 AM PST

    Hello, and good morning to everyone. Hope everyone has a good day. So anyway, I have a friend that works at a cards store that told me they need a site bad and I should talk to the owner about it. I've done a couple construction pages. I'm new to freelancing and still struggle creating a pitch and talking to people. I know I have to do it, but I haven't done an e-commerce type page yet. My question, how to I come about creating a cards store.

    I know there is TONs of inventory to keep track off, so I'm wondering if anyone here knows how to approach this project. So that I can go and pitch my ideas to this business.

    I ran into crystal commerce that does a lot of that, but they offer a website service as well as a really good card management system. Obviously I don't want to do that, because I'm trying to get paid lol, or at least get exposure.

    My brain, goes to like wordpress and shopify for the store part. I have a little experience in both as well as html/Js/css, react, gatsby, django. So anything advice will help, and I would greatly appreciate.

    submitted by /u/CodeSmitty
    [link] [comments]

    (Privacy Issues) Cannot delete personal data from cutestat.com

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 02:53 AM PST

    Good morning, fellow redditors.

    I am not sure this is the right sub.

    I am an european citizen.

    Every once in a while I search my name and phone number in Google.

    A month ago I saw, an antique whois record of mine (from 2016) has been cached by cutestat.com .

    I want this cached whois record deleted, since it contains personal data.

    I have contacted cutestat.com , and also tried using their 'delete' form, but it does not work since the domain is long gone.

    Usually, in Europe, all webpages comply with GDPR, but I do not know how to proceed , for US Jurisdiction, since cutestat.com is not GDPR compliant, and it is hosted in american soil.

    thank you very much

    submitted by /u/chocolatero
    [link] [comments]

    How long did you stay a Jr Dev and when did you know yours skills were past the level of a Jr?

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 08:33 PM PST

    Basically the title. I'm about 8 months into my job at a Jr after about a year of self teaching.

    My job has become pretty boring, not because the work is easy, but I'm just not getting a ton of actual development tasks. Although, I've been able to solve all the tasks I've been given to this point.

    I've decided that it's time to move on. But I'm wondering if I go for a mid-level role or lateral to another Jr? How do i know when I'm ready?

    submitted by /u/allwxllendswxll
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to sequentially name a metric f*ckton of divs (say 10,000-40,000 or so)?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 02:25 AM PST

    Yes, it needs to be this many divs because of reasons.

    Context:

    I'm using Atom Text. Plain vanilla HTML & CSS with JS/jQuery 3.6.0. Right now I have 10,000 divs in the HTML doc. I want to sequentially name them e.g. id="item-1", "item-2", "item-3"... "item-10000".

    Research:

    I downloaded this increment-selection package as per the recommendation of stackoverflow, which is great but I didn't factor in that I'm too lazy/impatient/easily distracted to cmd+click 10,000 times and think there must be a better way possibly using a Javascript loop to generate divs with sequential ID names built in.

    Problem:

    Problem 1) I don't know Javascript.

    Problem 2) Here's the code I'm working with:

    var i; var units = ''; for(i=0;i<10000;i++){ units +='<div id="gallery-item-'+i+'" class="gallery-item"</div>'; } $('#square-gallery').append(units); 

    I modified the code in this example from the latter Stackoverflow example shown above to fit my doc. Using a jQuery CDN. Code runs a console log test so it's all connected. Nothing happens when I refresh the page with this code - no HTML divs are generated that I can see in the inspector elements window on the web browser. This is the only code in the JS file.

    Question 1: How do I make this thing work?

    Question 2: Is this a sound approach, or am I missing something here?

    Question 3: Is there a better way?

    submitted by /u/avalanchetraceur
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone review my web dev resume?

    Posted: 16 Feb 2022 02:09 AM PST

    Can someone review my web dev resume?

    Hi everyone,

    I have recently made my resume using Figma. I wanted to have some feedback on it in terms of the design and content. Is it this resume good enough to apply for jobs?

    Thanks in advance!

    BS: I couldn't upload my pdf in this post, so I converted it to an image.

    https://preview.redd.it/a52exja566i81.png?width=595&format=png&auto=webp&s=c77438a08b9622ebd6618e7b3d695ad3b0b52815

    submitted by /u/OwOwKazii
    [link] [comments]

    What are the most useful free, online courses for web development?

    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 10:20 PM PST

    What are the most useful free online courses for Web Development from an education+skills taught pov and recognition/certification pov - if you'd want to work professionally in the area.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/ilove314zza
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment