• Breaking News

    Friday, December 3, 2021

    Feedback Friday #471 - Quick Fixes

    Feedback Friday #471 - Quick Fixes


    Feedback Friday #471 - Quick Fixes

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 08:55 PM PST

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #471

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Short video of the 7 level quest I made in Rec Room.

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 10:11 PM PST

    Using Dead Famous People in game?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 09:40 PM PST

    If I wanted to have make a character that was similar to say Walt Disney, would this be legal? If he was an "evil" Walt Disney, or an exaggerated parody, would it then be legal?

    submitted by /u/TheRealSassyTassy
    [link] [comments]

    What's with the idea that devs can't use suggestions from their community?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 05:30 PM PST

    It's been said so many times that the reason big companies don't take fan submissions is due to copyright issues. Now I've even seen indies saying this, most recently Rimworld, where the suggestions forum says the devs never ever read it because of legal reasons.

    Is there actually any truth to this train of thought? Here are the reasons that this idea confuses me:

    1. Can ideas even be legally protected? Yes certain mechanics might be able to be patented, but most of the time they aren't, even if they're implemented into AAA games. Certainly ~0% of user suggestions would ever be patented. Would it even be possible to argue that you own an idea that would have to exist within someone else's game?
    2. Can't you easily make a legally binding agreement which gives license? You accept terms and conditions on websites all the time, and you could easily add another checkbox anywhere that says you agree to license your submission. Plus, open source software projects are everywhere. How does anyone make contributions to these without opening the same possible legal trouble? Why can't I just license my suggestion to be freely used to the devs?
    3. Why are devs afraid of licensing/paying for ideas and designs? They pay artists for their designs all the time, so why are they so opposed to doing it when the artist approaches them with art/designs they already created? Couldn't they just make a contract and pay them?
    submitted by /u/skeddles
    [link] [comments]

    How would I go about creating a retro, pixellated look in VR using Unity?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 09:59 PM PST

    Hi guys,

    I'm planning to develop a PC-98 era inspired visual novel in VR, and to achieve that I need to achieve a pixellated look in VR. However there are very little resources on how to achieve this, and the most popular method for achieving that, i.e Render Textures are not possible in VR.

    I've tried quite a few of the post processing solutions on the Unity store for achieving this but they don't look great in VR and just look too low res(I want to have a pixellated look, but very finely so you can still make out details, ala PC-98 style).

    If anyone has anyone has any clues please let me know, I think this style is not really explored in VR and I would love to have my own take on it.

    submitted by /u/OMEGA27304
    [link] [comments]

    Hi I was wondering if any of you are senior AAA 3d graphics programmer working 100% remote due to Covid19 ? Is it possible in the Game Industry like Webdev work or we still need big teams in large studios ? (Witcher 3, Cod, FF that size of team)

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 09:39 PM PST

    Hi I was wondering if any of you are senior AAA 3d graphics programmer working 100% remote due to Covid19 ? Is it possible in the Game Industry like Webdev work or we still need big teams in large studios ?

    Is it harder to manage remote worker when working with native C++ ? or they won't allow it ? From your experience is it rare to have studio creating their own 3d engine (instead of taking unreal or another) and having great result like CDProject did with the Witcher 3 ? or it's not recommended today because it's nearly impossible to beat Unreal on graphics quality ? / time to market etc

    Do you think it's still possible today to do what Carmack did in the 90's or 3d engine are too large and complex you can't be a 1 man shop anymore you need huge team to build just the renderer ? not even talking about all the tools around them like animations, sounds etc etc or it's possible to build a small 3d room with all your example in it like reflections, water, light etc etc

    submitted by /u/Dereference_operator
    [link] [comments]

    A better learning process

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 05:48 PM PST

    One of my coworkers today asked me how I was able to learn how to use Photoshop. I said that I literally just took a stock image and used one tool to mess up the image as much as possible until I knew what that tool was used for. That got me thinking about game dev.

    I know it's generally not good to watch YouTube tutorials on how to implement something you want to solve specifically, but is it good practice / did it help to watch videos on how to generally use Unity's API?

    For example, I'm not super invested in this game idea I want to make at the moment, I'm still inexperienced with programming in unity - so I'm not going to be watching "top down shooting for beginners" for instance. Instead I've just been taking my time watching an assortment of unity specific videos, like "how to create a delay" or "how timers work".

    Would it be worth my time to learn the really low level stuff, implement the concepts in something unrelated to my "grand game idea", and build my knowledge through iteration?

    submitted by /u/A_KimB0
    [link] [comments]

    How would you make a purchase of a game cross-platform?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 03:54 PM PST

    tldr: I'm want to make a game where you have to purchase it only once and can play it on any platform. My current idea is to make the game free and let the player purchase ingame currency with which they can buy content to let them buy the content of a game only once.

    Now the longer version.I'm creating a Manga JRPG which I plan to sell per chapter, justlike an actual manga would be sold. I plan to make the game available on multiple platforms, but I don't want to lock out the players to buying the game, or in this case chapters of a game, multiple times to be able play on all the platforms they have available.

    My current way of thinking on how to accomplish this is to make the game itself free, and then let player purchase tokens with which they can unlock each chapter. And since the unlocked chapters would be tracked through a server, they would have to buy each chapter only once and play it on any platform that is convenient for them and switch any time they want without having to make extra purchases.And just to note, the tokens are purely to unlock the content, there is no micro transactions or gach shenanigans in there. It would be just a premium game made to be purchasable only once and playable on any platform.

    One thing that concerns me with this approach is that the game would be marked as free, which in fact it wouldn't be as all of its contents have to be purchased.

    What do you think about my approach? How would you do it? And is there something similar that is done already? (Not counting gacha games like Genshin Impact as they are selling gambling, not the gameplay itself)

    submitted by /u/YUE_Dominik
    [link] [comments]

    Are Unity VFX assets compatible with Unreal Engine?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 01:14 AM PST

    If I buy an effect on the Unity marketplace, will it work in Unreal Engine? Or would I have to buy the same effect separately on the Unreal Engine to use it in UE? (given that the effect is available in both marketplaces)

    Also, if I'm creating and selling effects on both marketplaces, is there a way to transfer something I created in Unity over to Unreal Engine easily so I can sell on both marketplaces while creating the effect once, or would I have to create the effect twice in both game engines separately?

    submitted by /u/Quickmawz
    [link] [comments]

    I am mesmerized by this artist’s marriage of Mathematics and Art. I would love direction on how to get started creating something similar.

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 02:36 PM PST

    I ran into an artist named Lvl374 on Twitter a while ago, and I am just blown away by this artwork. It seems to take pixel art and combine it with (what I assume is) mathematically generated patterns filling the screen. I'm leaving university and want to try to figure out how to do something similar as a hobby.

    I already come from a CS background, do pixel art, draw and took a Game Dev class (Unity) in college (along with Linear Algebra and multiple levels of Calc). I am looking for any resources on how to start creating controlled visual patterns through math similar to the page above.

    I have only really had success searching and finding this video, which is a lot less controlled and intentional. Any videos, books, articles would be very appreciated!

    submitted by /u/seratodownloads
    [link] [comments]

    If I use YouTube cover of a popular song with the YouTuber's permission, what licenses do I need if I am an indie developer?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 12:50 AM PST

    Well, all the details you need to know should be in the title already.

    submitted by /u/EMIREADS937
    [link] [comments]

    Unity Loading Module In-depth Analysis of Animation Resources

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 12:41 AM PST

    Resource Loading Performance Test Code

    Like the test code mentioned in the previous articles, we also use this test code for the loading performance analysis of AnimationClip resources. At the same time, we made the AnimationClip file into an AssetBundle file of a certain size, and loaded them on different devices through the following code one by one, in order to obtain the corresponding resource loading performance comparison.

    submitted by /u/UWATech
    [link] [comments]

    Dividing amount of experience between rank A and B into a curve?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 12:38 AM PST

    In my game I have a rank system. You start at rank A, and then you can level from level 1 to level 10. When you reach level 10, you get promoted to rank B, and you go from level 1 to 10 again, and then you get promoted to rank C, etc etc.
    Getting from rank A to rank B takes a pre-determined amount of experience, which translates to a predetermined amount of real-world time. For example: getting from rank A to rank B costs 1200 experience, which translates to a week of game time.
    What I'd like to achieve however, is to make leveling up early on in the rank easier than later on, so that when you rank up, its easier to achieve the first few levels, and the later levels are harder/take more time. Almost a bit like an exponential curve.
    So really what I'm trying to do is divide the total amount of experience it takes to the next rank (total amount: 1200xp) by 10, into some kind of exponential-like curve, in a way that finally it'll still add up to 1200xp.
    Does anybody know of such a formula/piece of code?

    submitted by /u/thepassle
    [link] [comments]

    Considering creating a business simulation game (as a hobby), what would be the best (preferably free, no account needed to use) game engine for a beginner?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 11:38 PM PST

    Languages I know and will be learning: Python and C# respectively

    Things I'd prefer:

    1. Can handle a "rotating and moving camera", 3D objects and moving NPCs (almost as detailed as Sims 4 characters but more cartoonish, if that makes sense)
    2. Can run on 16 GB RAM with an i5-1135G7
    3. Can properly handle positioning of objects by users (because an important part of the game will be designing and positioning different items in a shop)

    I have come across Godot and it seems to be good, but I don't know if it is best for business simulation. Can someone tell whether Godot is good, or suggest a better choice?

    Note: If there are any game engines that are much better (and free-to-use or a one-time-payment, and don't need an account), I will consider them.

    submitted by /u/A-Delonix-Regia
    [link] [comments]

    Help me practice creating game ideas!

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 06:51 PM PST

    I believe my creative process with creating game ideas could use some work.

    Basically, you give me a word ( or phrase), and I'll do my best to create a game idea out of it. You can give me constructive criticism about how that game idea could be improved.

    submitted by /u/TheSodaConnoisseur
    [link] [comments]

    User-created script in browser game that prevents other users from connecting to game server

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 04:28 PM PST

    Hi,

    Apologies in advance that this is very vague. I am not extremely familiar with this, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.

    I sometimes play a small browser-based video game which someone created as a university project. It has a sister game (also a university project) which is a little more advanced. This sister game allows users to create personal lobbies ("parks") which they can then design. One of the ways that they can do this is through a small area where they can enter some sort of code (not sure which language), which can control what happens to other users when they enter the park (where they land, can kill them, etc).

    Recently this ability to script has become something of a problem, because someone found a way to use this to "ban" the accounts of other users from entering any parks/anywhere at all in the game, apparently indefinitely. I say "ban," but it appears to be preventing other users from connecting to the server (they see a "Could not Connect!" error message) rather than an official ban like the admins of the game could place.

    The developer of this game has not made any updates for about two years and is apparently for all intents and purposes gone. This game is still in beta and no new accounts can be created (I personally do not have an account). About 95% of the game's users are unable to play it at this point.

    I guess what I was wondering is: does anyone know what a user could enter into this console to prevent everyone that enters their park from connecting to the server? And, if so, is there a way to undo it/would you have any suggestions as to how we could undo it? The average age of the playerbase is about 14. I'm not sure how sophisticated it would be.

    The game in question is Coaster Town.

    I know that this is horribly vague, I'm very sorry. Absolutely any suggestions would be really appreciated.

    TLDR: Someone on a browser-based video game created a script that indefinitely prevents other users from connecting to the game's server. The dev is AWOL. Does anyone know what this might be and if it can be fixed without actually having owner's access to the game?

    submitted by /u/vvvv1123
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment