• Breaking News

    Friday, October 1, 2021

    Can someone for the love of god explain what Git and Github is like I'm 5? Everytime I go to Github, I'm lost as hell learn programming

    Can someone for the love of god explain what Git and Github is like I'm 5? Everytime I go to Github, I'm lost as hell learn programming


    Can someone for the love of god explain what Git and Github is like I'm 5? Everytime I go to Github, I'm lost as hell

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 08:59 AM PDT

    Someone please tell me what they are, I feel like I should know at this point but am embarrassed to admit I don't.

    submitted by /u/Severe_Sweet_862
    [link] [comments]

    Why are getters and setters used in JavaScript if all the properties are public?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 08:49 PM PDT

    I am just starting to learn JavaScript and that part don't make sense to me.

    submitted by /u/setdelmar
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner with no prior knowledge

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 10:31 PM PDT

    Hello! I am currently attending university doing my first year of CS (as a CS major). I have not prior knowledge of coding. I've been out of high school for about 10 years. I have students in my class who are experienced since high school or have done coding before. I can't help feeling behind. When a simple lab or code takes me hours to figure out, but when I do, it's such a great feeling and I want to improve. At the same time I feel so inadequate because I feel like I am not learning at the speed I should be.

    What should I do to improve? Will I improve? Is there a reason to continue on as a CS major? This semester has been so overwhelming but I really want to do good in this class, but the instructions are not clear and everything seems to be timed, which stresses me out even more.

    submitted by /u/TurtleRacerz
    [link] [comments]

    I'm 31, am I too old to switch careers and learn front end?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 09:46 AM PDT

    Howdy.

    I'm a digital marketer but want to transition to front end web development. I did courses, I know html css and a bit of js (basic algorithms and Dom) but never took it to the next level.

    But what is bothering me is my age. Will it be an issue when recruiters will be deciding between me and much younger candidates? Do guys in my age do well as juniors? :)

    submitted by /u/TheSoberSovietMD
    [link] [comments]

    About to fail out of a Full Stack intensive course; tell me if this seems reasonable

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 08:02 PM PDT

    I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    A little background and context:
    ...
    I'm about 5 months deep into a full stack course for adults, hosted remotely with a variety of teachers via Teams and Zoom. The government here pays for it as long as you keep passing. The entire course is 13 months long, covering a ton of material, as examples: Java 1, 2 and 3, database(mySQL), cloud admin, front-end stuff with Javascript/html/css/node, PHP, and so on. It ends with an internship.
    ...

    It's really intense. We were expected to learn procedural Java (1) in two weeks with a so-so teacher. The common theme in every course of this program is that you pull close to 10 hr days due to research and homework, counting the 5 hours of class time. Most of the students come from non-IT backgrounds, so trying to learn Java that quickly was quite difficult for us.

    OOP Java came next; three weeks. I barely got through that. Then we switched gears and did DB and FE stuff for about two months. Now, all of a sudden, we started "Web Services" which require a solid foundation of Java, which the majority of the class couldn't possibly have. We got tested right away (after a week to review Java + brand new things we hadn't touched after two months of not doing anything Java-related)(and remember, there was no time to "keep up" with Java while doing other courses) and this test carried a heavy weight: 40%. Fail that, and you're in trouble.

    It was decided that Web Services should be shifted to a later time, and instead replaced with Data Structures and Algorithms. We get 9 days of this. 2 of those days are exams and the whole grade is based on those two exams. But without the solid foundations of Java, it's a very rough ride.

    ...
    My income depends on passing these courses, but like many other students in this course, we're simply burnt out or couldn't possibly have had enough time to take in what was needed, so it's crushing. We get problems to solve for homework, but I just stare at my IDE not knowing where to begin. I'm lacking the base skills, and there's hardly any time to catch up, as any time spent catching up is time taken away from using what I'm supposed to know already, if that makes any sense. It's a downward spiral.

    See how messed up this is?
    Have any thoughts about what I'm talking about?

    Anyone done well in one of these intensive courses?
    How long does it take normal people with no experience to pick up Java?

    We're a class of 30 adults and pretty soon we'll lose about half the people because of this brick wall of sudden Java-testing and burning out, and I'm most certainly going to be one of the ones who fail out as well. I've grown to enjoy everything I've learned, and I don't plan on stopping. Any advice for me? Any advice I can pass along to my peers? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/GhettoSauce
    [link] [comments]

    Angela yu Web Development Bootcamp 2021 - React Module up to date?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 11:43 PM PDT

    Hello. I really like her teaching style at 2.0 speed but i wanted to ask if anyone knows about the React Section that is 9 hours if it's up to date?

    submitted by /u/PervertChicken
    [link] [comments]

    I'm doing a project

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 01:11 AM PDT

    num1=int(input("Enter a number: "))

    num2=int(input("Enter a number: "))

    num3=int(input("Enter a number: "))

    num4=int(input("Enter a number: "))

    if (num1 and num2 and num3 and num 4> 0):

    print("We are all positive")

    else:

    print("Among the given numbers, there is a negative one!")

    I need this to print there is a negative one if any of the values given are negative but it only works when I have 2 values, the moment I and more the it ignores the else statement and only prints positive. Anyone have any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Tricslip
    [link] [comments]

    How to find the shortest path?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 11:58 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I have a list of coordinates and I want to find the shortest path that goes through all of them.Which algorithm can do something like that?
    The path should only go in one direction and does not need to be closed.

    submitted by /u/gekkofoster
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any good up-to-date resources that group the most used Libraries in a single place?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 05:38 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a resource that has the most commonly used python libraries and their documentation/syntax.

    Ex.

    I need to do ________, i then look at the index of the book/website for something that meets my needs, I flip to the page and see the syntax/documentation for said library.

    While i can always just use google i think my flow/comprehension would improve if i just keep a book on my desk.

    Most the books i have come across seem a bit out of date, and while they will still be useful i'd like something written this decade lol

    Edit: using python

    submitted by /u/Pos1tivity
    [link] [comments]

    Journalist website

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 10:39 PM PDT

    I am currently trying to create a website for my idea of MMA reporting, especially starting off it's mainly just focused on reviewing past fight cards and latest news. However looking for some input on best approach to making the website whether i should use a CMS or go from scratch. Now I have no idea how to go from scratch but if that's the best solution will definitely look into it more appreciate any feedback possible thank you

    submitted by /u/AuntJemima1995
    [link] [comments]

    How do professionals do it?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 06:41 PM PDT

    Hey all, new to this as of yesterday.

    Im starting with Java, as ive heard that once you learn it, every other language will be picked up easier. Im not having issues learning right now, but im just confused about in the future, if i want to make my own software/programs, how i'm gonna remember what I need to type to make things happen off the top of my head. Ive already forgotten the first exercise I did, and couldnt tell you how to do it again.

    It just seems so hard to remember every kind of command to get things done.

    submitted by /u/Jangaroojack
    [link] [comments]

    Tearing my hair out. I'm programming a game for class where the computer has to guess what number you thought of and uses binary search. Using java to program it. Any chance you can take a look at my question and the math/concept problem Im having?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 03:45 PM PDT

    So, as title says, I have to write a java program where the user guesses a number between 1 and 100 in their head. Then, the computer will ask you a series of questions and determine your guess based on your answers. The user guides the computer by inputting something like "higher" or "lower" or "correct". The game must be able to be played multiple times. The initial computer guess should be 50, then 75 or 25, halving each time.

    So my question is for example:

    I think of 23

    Minimum number 0

    Max Number 100

    Computer chooses a RandomNumber

    Computer chooses 88

    I answer "lower"

    How on earth do I make an algorithm where the computer now uses the 88 as the NEW maximum in the range and then halves it? I get the concept but am having trouble putting it down in an algorithm in java

    submitted by /u/DeuceVisional
    [link] [comments]

    A noob question about Python semantics and logic

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 09:29 PM PDT

    Firstly I apologise if this is a stupid question. It likely is since I am a complete beginner. I also hope it is not too pedantic. Thatbisnmot my intention, I just want to be confident I have understood.

    So in Python I have learned that there is not really a concept of variables, but rather pointers or labels for values.

    Consider the code:

    x = 4

    From what I understand, this does not actually mean x is itself 4, but rather is more a directory or label that points you to the value 4. So the code could be interpreted literally as "use x to point in the direction if 4".

    So then where is this 4? Are there lots of 4's in the memory and this just points to one of them? Or is there a unique 4?

    If we extend this to:

    x = 4

    y = 3

    x = y

    print(x)

    Now Python will output the value 3. But taken literally, the above code should mean that "x points in the direction of a pointer which points in the direction of 3".

    So is Python just designed to not be completely semantically logical, but rather just more intuitive? Or have I misunderstood the concept of pointers and variables?

    Does the above mean that x and y point to the same place? Or could they point to two different places, both of which have the value 3?

    Finally, if we interpret x and y as "instances of the class int" then are they the same instance? Or different instances? And is 3 itself an instance of the class int?

    Again I hope I am not being unnecessarily pedantic, but I think asking these questions is helping my understanding of programming in general.

    submitted by /u/hydrolock12
    [link] [comments]

    How much time should I devote per day for DSA ???????

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 09:17 PM PDT

    Hey Folks, How much time should I devote per day for DSA ??????????????????

    and have just learned C and C++ and have NO knowledge of DSA and Time and space complexity? Also no knowledge about DBMS, CN, OS, BBUT C, C++ Intermediate level. Please Response? WOULD you please me anything? I would love to see your Response.

    submitted by /u/nhkaizen
    [link] [comments]

    [C] LeetCode website having memory error, locally compiling working fine

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 08:17 PM PDT

    Edit - solved, see comments

    The challenge is finding the longest common subsequence on LeetCode. Here is the code I created (modified slightly from submission so it works independently, identical main function though) ```

    include <stdio.h>

    include <string.h>

    include <stdlib.h>

    int longestCommonSubsequence(char * text1, char * text2){ int len = 0; int* sequences = malloc(sizeof(int)); // Placeholder allocation

    // Now look for subsequences for(int i = 0; i < strlen(text1); ++i) { if (text1[i] == text2[0]) { ++len; sequences = realloc(sequences, sizeof(int)*len); } for(int j = 0; j < len; ++j) { if (text1[i] == text2[sequences[j]]) ++sequences[j]; } } // Now find the largest one int ret = 0; for(int i = 0; i < len; ++i) { if(sequences[i] > ret) ret = sequences[i]; } free(sequences); return ret; 

    }

    int main() { printf("Largest with strings abcabcadabc and abcd - %d\n", longestCommonSubsequence("abcabcadabc", "abcd")); return 0; } ```

    When compiled on my local machine, running normally and with valgrind present no errors. When compiled in the LeetCode sandbox or if the function is used in LeetCode, it gives the following error - ```

    AddressSanitizer:DEADLYSIGNAL

    ==29==ERROR: AddressSanitizer: SEGV on unknown address 0x601fbebebeee (pc 0x562761c0e1e6 bp 0x7ffe78ad6370 sp 0x7ffe78ad6320 T0) ==29==The signal is caused by a READ memory access. #2 0x7f4e75c8d0b2 in __libc_start_main (/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6+0x270b2) AddressSanitizer can not provide additional info. ==29==ABORTING ``` Does anyone know why this would be?

    submitted by /u/zeroxoneafour0
    [link] [comments]

    How does this coroutine able to return this value in Kotlin?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 07:52 PM PDT

    Hello I'm very confused on how this function is written up in Kotlin

     suspend fun registerwithemailandpassword(email: String, password: String, fullname:String)= suspendCancellableCoroutine<LoadResult<Boolean>>{ continuation -> auth.createUserWithEmailAndPassword(email, password) .addOnCompleteListener() { task -> if (task.isSuccessful) { continuation.resume(LoadResult.Success(true), null) } }.addOnFailureListener() { continuation.resumeWithException(it) } } } 

    I don't understand how the coroutine is supposed to return LoadResult<Boolean>, btw LoadResult is a sealed class to return results here is the code

    sealed class LoadResult<T>(val data: T? = null, val message: String? = null) { class Success<T>(data: T) : LoadResult<T>(data) class Loading<T>(data: T? = null) : LoadResult<T>(data) class Error<T>(message: String, data: T? = null) : LoadResult<T>(data, message) } 

    I don't understand how does the equal sign return the LoadResult<Boolean> from the coroutine. Is it because of the suspendCancellableCoroutine ? or does kotlin just automatically detect what equal sign is supposed to return?

    submitted by /u/S0ULBoY
    [link] [comments]

    BigCommerce API help

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 07:26 PM PDT

    Noob question but can someone list the steps on how to correctly use the API?

    https://github.com/getconversio/node-bigcommerce

    Tried following this but I think I need a little bit more specific guidance. Am I cloning the repo and adding an index.js file and then following from there? And how should I connect this to the front end theme files afterwards? There aren't many resources online to follow, so any literally any help in the right direction would be amazing! Thanks!!!

    submitted by /u/plausiblebongo
    [link] [comments]

    Full stack web development example?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 07:11 PM PDT

    So I am looking to create a website that interacts with a database to store information. From what I understand the languages that I need include:

    HTML

    CSS

    Javascript

    Node.js

    Sql

    So I just kind of want to confirm what occurs when loading a website. I've been trying to find the answer online but I'm not sure what the condensed version of this question would be.

    From what I can tell, my websites front end files will be contained on a "web server" and the back end files will be contained on a "database server". I assume any sort of user input information that I want to keep, I would send to a the db server. And anything that already has a set design or a specific set of information would be stored on the web server.

    When I am incorporating my database into my website. I THINK I am going to be using Javascript/Node to dynamically generate HTML (and the CSS will be applied off the classes) for whatever information I am trying to show that is stored in the database.

    For example in my mind this very basic site would be

    <HTML THINGS>
    <PRE WRITTEN HTML>Welcome to website</PRE WRITTEN HTML>
    <DYNAMICALLY GENERATED HTML BASED OFF OF QUERY TO DATABASE/>
    </HTML THINGS>

    The bones of the HTML will I believe already be created by there will essentially be open space for the dynamically generated content to be displayed?

    I'm sorry if this has been asked before, and I don't really know what I want to know this. I just want to see if I'm totally understanding what will happen, and how they interact with eachother. I know on the backend Ill have to create queries with some combination of Node and SQL (I think the SQL information is passed through the node file and converted into browser readable text? and then sent to the browser where javascript will render the content?)

    Sorry again I feel like this is a pretty stupid question.

    submitted by /u/Lucky-Garbage-7585
    [link] [comments]

    Tutoring Recommendations for Programming

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 07:02 PM PDT

    Does anyone know of any services that offer 1 on 1 tutoring? I am a upper level computer science student and have been struggling in a course. The course involves C programming.

    What is the best tutoring services for computer science students that others have used or could recommend? I would likely need 2 hours a week of tutoring. Also, I am not apposed to working with a professional programmer or professional programming company.

    submitted by /u/gamingbro747
    [link] [comments]

    I took AP CS A in my highschool which taught me basic java. How do I take what I learned to create android apps?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 07:00 PM PDT

    I took AP CS A in my highschool which taught me basic java. How do I take what I learned to create android apps?

    submitted by /u/Guilty_Newspaper2808
    [link] [comments]

    I need help understanding pseudocode. I am not sure if I am understanding my teacher wrong, or if he is explaining it bad, but he is giving me mixed signals and this is an online class and I would love some outside perspective.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 06:53 PM PDT

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0qfR606tVo

    This is the video the teacher has inside our canvas modules for showing us what pseudocode is. We had an assignment that said: Write the pseudocode for a program that computes the weekly salary of an employee. Assume there is no over time and taxes. Assume one input for hours worked and one input for hourly rate. Your pseudocode must display the final weekly salary.

    Following the format of the video, this was my pseudocode:

    Input a number from the user, save as hourlyRate

    Input a second number from the user, save as hoursWorked

    Multiply hourlyRate and hoursWorked, save as weeklySalary

    Output the phrase "The final weekly salary is "

    Output weeklySalary

    I got a 70/100. The comment he left said this "Please look at the files in Canvas >Modules >files: Sol_Ch6_Loops.doc and Sol_Session4.doc for guidance on how flowchart and pseudocode need to be done."

    This is what the code in the files look like. https://ibb.co/vJ3Lm4J Unless this is completely over my head and I am completely misunderstanding everything, I feel like this contradicts the video he laid out for our introduction to pseudocode. He didn't even email us about adding these new files until 2 days before the assignment was due, and by that point my assignment was turned in and I had thought I did it correctly since the pseudocode video was in the same module along with the variables assignment.

    By looking at these files, I am honestly really confused on how this breaks down. I am confused by the declarations, I am confused by some of the symbols like <> (in our zybooks, the symbol is being taught by !=), I am confused by what the details() and housekeeping() is. All he did was post the files but gives no explanation what any of it is. He has certain things highlighted, but there's nothing else along with it. No part explaining why he highlighted it. I had some more assignments that are due Saturday that I already turned in, and I have to redo them all because they're clearly not in the format he wants. Does anyone have any videos or anything to help me explain exactly how this pseudocode is? On my assignments due, I have it written pretty close I think (Here is a screenshot of one: https://ibb.co/RPCs6CB) but I am still confused on the declaration and how I am supposed to do that

    I am so sorry if this comes off crazy and out of place. I am going to email my teacher also, but honestly I am a bit nervous because I feel like I should already know this even though it's unrealistic if I am not being taught it. This teacher has been doing quite a few things to rub me the wrong way. I am doing my best to google, look on forums, watching youtube videos and trying not to just depend on him teaching but I feel like he isn't really teaching at all. This is my first semester so maybe I am having expectations that are unrealistic in a college setting.

    submitted by /u/-SmashingSunflowers-
    [link] [comments]

    What languages should I focus on to make programming a side hustle.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 06:36 PM PDT

    I have dabbled in different languages but what are some that I can use to make some money on the side.

    submitted by /u/trebombjones
    [link] [comments]

    What's the easiest language to build my own API endpoint?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2021 02:51 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I need to build my own API for work, I've already made one using Python Flask, but I'm having a really hard time deploying it on CentOS.

    So, what is the easiest alternative to do so? I'll only use GET.

    It might be even better if someone were to point me out to a guide to deploy my Flask app, cause all those I found online don't seem to be working.

    Edit: The problem I'm having is not building the API itself, but deploying it on the webserver for our users to use! (probably should have mentioned this earlier, sorry)

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/SSJKiDo
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment