• Breaking News

    Monday, June 14, 2021

    Keep going with C#, or do something else? learn programming

    Keep going with C#, or do something else? learn programming


    Keep going with C#, or do something else?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 09:04 PM PDT

    Hey all! Some friends and mentors have given me a lot of advice over the past few months, and so I have been following the C# Head First book. I'm loving it so far, and I'm Understanding a lot of concepts.

    I know that, eventually, I'll need to get into JavaScript and working within that world. I have about year to learn everything I can to be a competitive hire. After that, I'll be getting out of the military and will need to have a job lined up..

    As someone with a degree (not in CS), what should I be looking at to be hireable by the widest range of companies? JavaScript and frameworks like NodeJS and React seem to be very important to learn. And that all sounds like a rabbit hole.

    What I would really love to do is audio programming. Working in C++ to build audio engines, VST's, and really get in the weeds and become a useful candidate for a big game company or a company that creates DAWs. This isn't something that I think I can do in the next year. I need to brush way up on calculus, and I haven't even touched linear algebra.

    So, I have 2 main questions:

    1. C# is very fun. I like it a lot. What types of jobs are using C# specifically on a daily basis? Is it worth spending most of my effort on? Following this book has given me a lot of great, repeatable ideas that show how C# can be used for cool things.

    2. What alternatives do I have? Should I just focus 100% on JavaScript and go through the mess of figuring out which frameworks to tinker with and what I can actually create? JS feels like there's so many frameworks out there that learning it from the ground up is a bit intimidating. Even still, it seems that the JS world is a better way to land a job in the PNW. Any help there?

    submitted by /u/TheOneWhoMixes
    [link] [comments]

    Boot Camp Questions?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 10:42 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    So I'm in the midst of a career change. I ended up having a chronic disease that ended my old career and fucked up my eyes. I was a pilot, and turns out eyes are helpful to being able to fly… go figure.

    I'm recovering, and as of two or three weeks ago I was able to start using my laptop again. I'm fairly experienced screwing around with Python and have used it at work to automate administrative stuff and some boring repetitive data entry that some of our admin and support staff was doing. My personal webpage and stuff runs on Flask - but I'm by no means an expert.

    My undergrad is in Math and I'm thinking about maybe going to a boot camp to try to jumpstart career 2.0… it's either that or go back to college. What do you folks recommend? I know just enough to be dangerous- but what's the best way forward into the industry? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/MolassesOk7356
    [link] [comments]

    Built my first simple one page website (that I actually will use this week for an event I run!) in HTML & CSS - feeling slyly proud of myself

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 01:48 PM PDT

    Website on github pages and the repo is here

    I know it's nothing special and the code isn't pretty but feels like a big progress marker for me - could never have done it a few weeks ago! I run an annual basketball event that will not have spectators this year, so needed a page to host all the live streams that we could push it too, along with links to our social platforms and a donate button - which I don't expect to replace much of the lost ticket income but thought was worth including!

    Tomorrow I just have to work out how to get it off github pages and onto the domain...

    Everyone says to build your own projects that you will actually need, and I couldn't agree more after this.

    Having been deep in various courses following along on their example websites and apps for months, this has been easily the most enjoyable and rewarding project I've done as I will actually use it! Think I'm going to ditch the courses and brute force my way through on the stuff I actually want to build and use.

    For the first time - after multiple failed attempts at learning to code - I am actually starting to believe I might be able to do it. Appreciate everyone on reddit and various slack channels and discord servers that have answered all my annoying questions - having the community is huge!

    submitted by /u/samneter
    [link] [comments]

    Advice before starting The Odin Project?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 04:30 PM PDT

    Starting The Odin Project tonight.. No real programming background besides a little bit of Python I've been learning. Any advice for me moving forward? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Dapherr
    [link] [comments]

    Why does this code have time complexity of O(N * N^1/2)

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 11:02 PM PDT

    dynamic programing quesiton.

    Time complexity is verified from: https://youtu.be/HLZLwjzIVGo?t=872

    From: https://leetcode.com/problems/perfect-squares/submissions/

    I understand that the O(n) comes from other loops that's relative to the input size. But, where did the O(N^1/2) come from?

    /** * @param {number} n * @return {number} */ var numSquares = function(n) { let dp = new Array(n + 1).fill(Infinity); dp[0] = 0; //when target is 0, there is no perfect square that matches it for(let target = 1; target <= n; target++){ for(let j = 1; j<= target; j++){ //go over every value from 1 to target let square = j * j if(target - square < 0){ //square is too large break; } dp[target] = Math.min(dp[target], 1+dp[target-square]) //say target is 12, square is 4. we are finding 1 +dp[8]. + 1 because we just used a square } } console.log(dp) return dp[n] }; 
    submitted by /u/badboyzpwns
    [link] [comments]

    How many of you are in the field without a degree? Advice needed

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 06:23 PM PDT

    I read the FAQ's, but feel like some actual feedback from the rest of you would help me make my decision. I've been aspiring to get into programming for quite some time. Life happens, procrastination happens, but now I'm 27 trying to be really serious about it for the first time. No college or tech school around me has a creditable program for a CS degree. I was interested in online schooling, but honestly not very sure how creditable that is either. I've also considered learning on my own, creating some of my own things, and working on open source projects to build my portfolio. I'm an automotive tech for a living atm, but there just really isn't anymore joy, or decent money to be made in the field in recent years. Now that I have a family, I would really prefer to do something I enjoy, that's easier on the body, and let's me be a little more free financially. In that order of importance of course. Any advice is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/SeekinAsylum
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone use Anki to help learn programming?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 02:40 PM PDT

    I know programming is more about problem solving than memorization, but I'm sure getting some core concepts secure in your brain is a huge convenience. Has anyone here used Anki for that, and if you do, what kind of information do you use it for?

    submitted by /u/BlipOnNobodysRadar
    [link] [comments]

    Open text editor from terminal on mac

    Posted: 14 Jun 2021 12:14 AM PDT

    I am having trouble opening sublime text editor fro my mac terminal. I am accesing files via ssh and trying to open them in sublime text from the terminal but when i use the subl command it says done but sublime text does not open. The same code works on my hp but my hp is really old. Any way i can fix this

    submitted by /u/Significant_Ad9252
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a friend so we can motivate each other!

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 05:53 PM PDT

    Title basically says it all, I really want a coding friend so we can learn together and inspire each other.... Message me if you're interested!

    submitted by /u/batwool
    [link] [comments]

    Do you read all the documentation before starting a new language / framework ?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 11:50 PM PDT

    do you read it all even if it takes 1-3 weeks to finish ? and is it helpful and self explanatory to read them before moving to yt tutorials which are very vague ?

    submitted by /u/No-Air7499
    [link] [comments]

    Java or C++..which should I learn??

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 11:44 PM PDT

    So I started learning python a year ago and now I think it's time to learn another language. I am confused between java and C++. According to PYPL java is more popular. But I want to learn a language that would be more helpful in the future. I am a self learner. Which of these languages are better?? If there are any other languages which I should learn please tell me.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/RishabhShah2005
    [link] [comments]

    Which of the following will get me a job in 3-4 months?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 11:42 PM PDT

    All programs are free, comprehensive, full stack programs

    • freecodecamp
    • The Odin Project
    • App Academy Open
    • Full Stack Open
    • Rithm School
    submitted by /u/president_of_dsa
    [link] [comments]

    I got really into C++ last summer and haven't coded in it since.

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 05:41 PM PDT

    Like the title says, I got super into it and have basically gone a year without touching the language. I read a 1200+ page C++ book and it was an awesome way of learning.

    I have done very light coding (in R) in between the beginning and end of the school year.

    How do I jump back into C++? Readjng the entire book again would be a giant waste of time, but I want a good way to get back into it.

    submitted by /u/falcaraz99
    [link] [comments]

    Discord servers?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 11:23 PM PDT

    Do any of you all know any discord servers that are based on programming / game design ect?

    submitted by /u/TheNeonFox1
    [link] [comments]

    Azure for developers

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 10:53 PM PDT

    Hi All, my team is migrating our web application to Azure. My knowledge in azure is ZERO as of now. As a java backend developer where should I start learning azure and how much do I have to learn to get started? Thanks in advance!!

    submitted by /u/saipavan23
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone else struggle with remembering what details go to what language?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 02:06 PM PDT

    I swear, the only reason I suck at coding is because I keep hopping around. I'm always doing dumb crap like forgetting that semicolons actually break Python or which kind of For loop C++ needs or which way to import Javascript functions from other files or...
    I mean, it's even to the point where I'm trying to learn to use the Terminal, but keep getting mixed up on which commands are for Windows CMD and which are for Bash. It's a good thing that if you install WSL, Powershell takes commands from either just fine...

    This does get better, right? Can I get better at being a jack of all trades? Or do I need to focus on learning one at a time if I want to get good?

    submitted by /u/VectorLightning
    [link] [comments]

    When doing your own project to learn, do you google an algorithm that you need or try to think and implement it yourself?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 12:39 PM PDT

    I'm here stuck and thinking how can i make an ai that cannot lose on tic tac toe, I know i can just google the algorithm or try to bash my head thinking how to do it myself.

    in a times like this, do you just google the algorithm that you need? I think Im just wasting my time if i can just learn it on the internet.

    submitted by /u/wankingdonuts
    [link] [comments]

    HOW to a game in mobile

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 09:52 PM PDT

    I want to know how to make a game

    submitted by /u/pavanganesh
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a for loop outside of the three statement for loop for c++?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 09:22 PM PDT

    I keep seeing things on websites like leetcode that use for loops with syntax like this:
    What is the syntax going on here? It doesn't seem to match the 3 statement for loops I see on online documentation and the ones I'm used to doing

    for (char c: allowed) 
    submitted by /u/learningisgrowing_
    [link] [comments]

    Bootcamp

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 08:31 PM PDT

    I'm thinking of enrolling for the Software Engineering Part Time boot camp. There are a lot of boot camps company out there and it's difficult to choose one. I might have narrowed down my choices, but I'd like to hear from everyone and see which one they recommend? That would be much appreciated. :)

    submitted by /u/jashy_10
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment