• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 6, 2021

    What are some programming tools that every beginner programmer should know about? learn programming

    What are some programming tools that every beginner programmer should know about? learn programming


    What are some programming tools that every beginner programmer should know about?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 05:44 PM PDT

    Example, today I learned about Git and GitHub and it felt incredible.

    submitted by /u/TheFrogWhoHatesFlies
    [link] [comments]

    Successfully made a career swap at 35

    Posted: 05 May 2021 03:25 AM PDT

    I'm making another on of these posts to help motivate others and to thank this community.

    I was a professional brewer and founded my own somewhat successful craft brewery in 2015. Business was going fine but COVID completely destroyed what I spent 5 years building so I had to walk away without anything.

    In 6 months (thanks to this sub, the Odin Project, FCC and CS50) I was able to learn all I needed to get my first job with a nice wage and benefits well above the average for my country, in a great company with lots of high profile customers.

    I still have a hard time believing what I pulled off in just six months but I had my share of moments thinking I was too old and that it was a waste of time.

    Stick with it! The market really is desperate for good hard working people who are willing to learn! It's beyond worth it! :)

    EDIT: I'd like to thank everyone so much for the wholesome messages that have been pouring all day. I'm really happy with the support and I'm glad some people felt motivated with my experience.

    I also would like to give a word on "reasonable expectations". Six months is a really short period for such a life changing somersault. It demanded a lot of hard work and dedication and it really took it's toll on me. That being said I often feel as if in the right circumstances I could've achieved more in less time and, some other times, I'm amazed I survived.

    I owe a lot to my girlfriend who was able to support us both during this period and a lot of people simply can't stop being paid for six months.

    I also owe a lot to the company that gave me the unpaid internship. They helped me tons and it was through them that I got this job offer. I was really lucky!

    It also helps that I've always been passionate about computers and programming and always had this dream in the back of my mind.

    It also really helps that my life experience made me feel like I can achieve whatever I want. I had amazing opportunities that I took and worked hard when I got them. People that are always being let down in life will surely have a harder time staying motivated.

    I'm just saying this because I want everyone to understand that this was my experience and if you feel yours falls short then please stop comparing yourself immediately! Survivor bias is a thing and you'll only really read stories about people who succeed and that sometimes makes us feel like crap ourselves (I've been there and still am there) but the truth is that for each story like mine there are probably thousands of other stories of people who weren't so lucky or couldn't find a break or simply lived in an area with little opportunities, or whatever thousands of other reasons are there. If you're still trying then you're still fighting. It might take you 6 months, a year or two weeks... It doesn't matter. What matters is what you make of yourself and how you feel about it. You're your own standard, everyone has different things going on in their lives, different experiences and different attitudes. Don't be too hard on yourself because you feel like you should be at point X... Make your own path.

    submitted by /u/BroaxXx
    [link] [comments]

    Should my son go to a coding bootcamp instead of college for compsci?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 03:11 PM PDT

    Hi, my son, who is going to graduate this spring, is wondering whether it would be better to go to a coding bootcamp and try to get a job first or go to college to study computer science? He is mostly interested in these three professions. 1.Data science 2.Machine Learning Engineer 3.Software Engineer Would it be a horrible idea to tell him to go to coding bootcamp instead of college or would college be worth the opportunity cost (time)? He has the chance to go to community college and a local university to get a cs degree for less than 28k. He also qualifies for financial aid and I would be willing to support him throughout either journey. Any answers will be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/B0wl0fCereal
    [link] [comments]

    Do you ever worry about what you are programming is going to get someone fired?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 12:31 PM PDT

    I still get randomly depressed when I developed an excel sheet that was plug and play for one of the more complicated aspects of a company as an intern and made one guys job no longer needed.

    These are the things I worry about as I shift from IT to becoming a programmer.

    submitted by /u/OregonIT
    [link] [comments]

    Would anyone be interested in watching a series about developing a multi threaded chat server?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 04:15 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I'm contemplating about making a YT series where I teach and develop a multi-threaded chat server with a C back-end and Java front-end (yes, I know that's practically unheard of!). It's mostly just for experimentation, but I figured that I would share my knowledge.

    If a video series is not desired, what about a GitHub repo (or somewhere I could post written tutorials) where I do tutorials about the development? I've got a good speaking voice but not the confidence (nor excitement...) to match, and I know that can bore many people. What do y'all think?

    submitted by /u/JoshuaTheProgrammer
    [link] [comments]

    How do I know I'm learning at a "good" pace?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 11:00 PM PDT

    TL;DR: How many hours a day should I be learning code to be career ready in 8 months? Am I not going fast enough or clocking in enough hours?

    I know good is subjective, but I've recently started the Odin Project and have about 45 hours clocked in in 15 days (been journaling my progress).

    I've only reached the first Javascript project (Rock, Paper, Scissors). Haven't done it yet but I did all of FCC's projects for Responsive Web Design (didn't read that they weren't mandatory lol) and the Google homepage.

    Doing it together with my husband and I feel like he's just understanding JS and picking it up a lot faster (but he has a heavy math background and some coding experience). Trying to not let it get to me, but it's hard not to want to just get it too.

    Am I going too slow? I get the current materials (now), but I've had to comb through it again and again, do extra FCC stuff and exercises.

    We're living with family right now and hoping to get a job ASAP, so we set a deadline of about 8 months before job searching. Is that realistic?

    If I'm going too slow, where should I be at?

    Clocking in about 3-5 hours a day on the weekdays, should I do more? Changing career fields and I don't know what's "normal".

    submitted by /u/InSouci
    [link] [comments]

    How can I classify my knowledge at a given language, for a resume, for example?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 10:39 PM PDT

    I have to start writing my resume, but I am not sure how to classify what I know. At which point I can say I'm advanced, or intermediate in a given language? Is there a certain rule for each language or some general guideline to follow?

    submitted by /u/JohannGauss
    [link] [comments]

    Should I do CS50?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 06:24 PM PDT

    Since summer break is coming up I've been thinking of doing this course throughout the break. I've already done AP Computer Science Principles this year, and I'm doing AP Computer Science A next year (2021-2022). Should I still do it anyway, or would it be a waste of time?

    submitted by /u/Mr_Hot_Pockets
    [link] [comments]

    Call for Project Ideas

    Posted: 05 May 2021 08:29 PM PDT

    What can you do with tons of photos of someone with different expressions?

    submitted by /u/anikesh_O_0
    [link] [comments]

    Need resources to understand the architecture and underlying technologies of web applications.

    Posted: 05 May 2021 10:37 PM PDT

    I've recently started learning with web development with Java.

    While i have a cursory understand of things like HTTP, Web servers etc and but while reading books on Java Servlets, many a times i find myself scratching my head about things like how actual communication takes places between the browser and the servlet, role of HTTP and curiosity about similar things which take place 'under the hood'.

    I'd like pointers to some resources either on the web or to a books which go deep into these aforementioned things from the perspective of a programmer.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/iamjackswastedlife__
    [link] [comments]

    Android studio is not working properly

    Posted: 05 May 2021 09:51 PM PDT

    I am trying to run a flutter basic starter program the default put by flutter when creating the project, and it is now working stuck in gradient build I have 8gb ram and a 1tb hdd+14gb intel optane and 8750h processor is it hardware or software issue

    submitted by /u/JacketOk7241
    [link] [comments]

    Does your portfolio have to have projects that relate to the job your applying to?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 06:01 PM PDT

    For example, if I make a really great app with swift or lotion, and then I apply for a job as a backend C# dev, will the app still help me get the job, assuming I also know C# but don't have big projects with that specific language on my portfolio?

    Edit: I meant kotlin, not lotion. I'm leaving it.

    submitted by /u/imhypedforthisgame
    [link] [comments]

    Developing with git / database; workflow to "push live"?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 01:30 PM PDT

    I'm putting together an in-house application (writing code is not my day job but I'm okay at it). I'm developing on my Mac but the application will live on our intranet Linux server.

    I know enough about Git to check out, edit, commit, etc., but not how to push code live. Use SSH to trigger a checkout? What's a typical "push code live" workflow look like?

    And, how do you push changes from a dev database (MariaDB or MySQL) to a production database? Not the data itself, but changes to tables (added columns), and the database itself (added tables / indexes / etc)? How do you keep the development copy of the code talking to the local dev database, while the live code connects to the live database? (I guess you could push a copy of the file containing the database connection details to the live server then edit it locally and exclude that file from git / never commit a change to that file to the live instance? Is there a better way?)

    I'm the only developer (so far), but there's another guy here who knows Python and is learning PHP and he might start tweaking stuff, too, eventually. But right now I'm just concerned with a single developer workflow that cleanly separates dev and production instances, allows relatively straightforward and automated pushes to the live instance, and keeps the databases coordinated (ideally without having to go in and manually re-enter commands at the mysql> prompt). We're using "raw" PHP so far, no frameworks etc. (like, I know Rails has something to auto-populate databases...)

    submitted by /u/WingedGeek
    [link] [comments]

    How do devs sync their code among multiple devices?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 03:12 PM PDT

    Hello, Me and my friend are pretty new to developing/programming and were wondering If there was a way to sync our code amongst multiple devices because we live like 1 state away from each other

    submitted by /u/CrikeyKillz
    [link] [comments]

    Deciding on a bootcamp

    Posted: 05 May 2021 08:56 PM PDT

    Hi all. Wanted to get some help regarding bootcamps. Am split between Appacademy and General Assembly.

    I ultimately want to gear towards data analyst path but also want to know how to code.

    Any advice would be great.

    Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/Gerard_92
    [link] [comments]

    Web dev beginner

    Posted: 05 May 2021 11:51 PM PDT

    Hie guys I'm starting my Web Dev journey today and I really could do with having someone I can start with so the journey is a bit bearable I have no programming background whatsoever but I'm compelled to start this journey so if anyone wants to do a team up on this beast please hit me up 🤙🏾

    submitted by /u/SaltwaterAliG
    [link] [comments]

    Any good project based resource about blockchain programming?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 11:21 AM PDT

    I am interested in learning more about blockchain programming. I am looking for a book or course that is project based and ideal for a beginner programmer.

    submitted by /u/Chernobyl_Bio_Robot
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone recommend some resources for becoming proficient in bash?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 07:54 PM PDT

    Basically just the title. I've done some very basic shell scripting in bash, but it felt like I was groping around in the dark trying to construct the bash program. Also, I feel like I don't know the lion's share of useful bash/linux commands. Can anyone recommend any (preferably online) resources for becoming proficient in bash?

    Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/thesemasksaretight
    [link] [comments]

    is there a codewars for beginners ?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 02:48 PM PDT

    i just started to learn python and use automate the boring stuff online book; to make thinks more interesting and challenging for me i tried codewars but it is waaaaay to difficult for me. any other websites similar to codewars but for beginners ?

    submitted by /u/mariusmdu
    [link] [comments]

    Dumb question, what is the best way to make a simple offline application using Dot Net right now? Is there a way to compile ASP.NET to run without a server?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 07:25 PM PDT

    I feel like this is such a dumb question, but I want to make a simple app for use on desktop computers. Super simple, enter data, do something with the data, save it in a text file to retrieve later. "Back in the day" I would just make a Windows Forms app. But I really want to get with the times and learn more modern tools.

    I have written plenty of ASP.NET Core MVC programs, but those always require a server to run right? So the end user would need something else running on their PC to make it work? If so, I want to avoid that.

    It seems like Blazor will do what I want if I make the end result in Web Assembly, is that correct? And if so, how do I convert my project to Web Assembly so that others can use it?

    I also found this for Blazor with Electron, but it seems needlessly complex. Is this the right way to accomplish what I am trying to do? https://www.telerik.com/blogs/blazor-on-desktop

    submitted by /u/DumbledoresGay69
    [link] [comments]

    Best book to master operating systems?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 10:45 PM PDT

    I want to self-learn operating systems. I love system programming and would like to make a career in it.

    I've come across the following books on the internet:

    1. Operating Systems Concepts
    2. Modern Operating Systems
    3. Operating Systems Internals and Design Principles
    4. Operating Systems Design and Implementation
    5. Operating Systems in Three Pieces

    My goals are: 1. Learn all the theoretical concepts behind OS 2. Learn to create my own OS(I know it's going to be hard, but I need a book that will give me enough coding examples) 3. Learn to create embedded OS (I'm interested in Embedded Systems)

    One book would be great, though I wouldn't mind having to read two or more if needed. So which of the above(or other) books should I go for? There are a lot of contradictory reviews online.

    submitted by /u/introverted-lasagna2
    [link] [comments]

    Sort an array of structures

    Posted: 05 May 2021 04:23 PM PDT

    I'm making a phone directory and I want to sort the profiles by name so binary search is possible, but I have my doubts about the prototype and the parameters of the function itself.

    How should my call for the function should like? Is it right to just add the array as the parameter and therefore make my function a char?

    Also any link is welcome; I have looked for a way or example about this online, but most of them are about common arrays and I'm just clueless about this topic.

    Edit: I'm programming in C. In every pointer or the array I'm saving the name and the phone number of each profile as array[i].name and array[i].number

    submitted by /u/CianMagYK
    [link] [comments]

    How to display a piece of code only once per session?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 06:11 PM PDT

    I want to run a javascript code only once when a user logs in then never again.

    What block of code could I use to accomplish this.

    submitted by /u/Ristarte
    [link] [comments]

    How can my kid learn programming if he has to limit “screen time” for medical reasons?

    Posted: 05 May 2021 09:04 AM PDT

    My son is in middle school and has been learning coding (primarily python, and now starting Java modding, html, and JavaScript). He's been indoors a lot and on the computer constantly for remote school this past year, and just got glasses for nearsightedness in January. We went back to the eye doctor because he's been having headaches constantly. She said that his glasses prescription has worsened too quickly. She said usually kids need a new prescription after a year, but he needs new glasses after only 3 months. She said we need to cut out any non-school related screen time (no coding, no gaming, no iPad, no kindle) to stave off any more progression of his myopia, and we may need to look into "alternative therapies" so that he's not at risk of complications like retinal detachment as his eyes mature. Once his nearsightedness progresses, it's irreversible, so we want to slow progression as much as possible.

    He was hitting his stride with python and starting to explore new languages. His identity has been tied up in being a "coder" and a "game maker". He is devastated with this news that he can't code anymore, as he really loves it. Some kids love soccer or chess. Coding is his "thing".

    My question is, what can we do to help him continue to learn coding when he can't look at a screen? We thought about having him write out the code on paper and we'll enter it for him so that he can run it. I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas? We will try anything. Thank you!!

    TL;DR my kid is severely nearsighted and his doctor said he can't look at a screen if not in school. He's been learning python and other languages, but now somehow he has to learn coding without being on the computer looking at a screen. Any insight as to how he can do this?

    submitted by /u/Nanopangolin
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment