• Breaking News

    Monday, May 31, 2021

    C++, Rust or Go Ask Programming

    C++, Rust or Go Ask Programming


    C++, Rust or Go

    Posted: 31 May 2021 10:04 AM PDT

    After 8 years working with (mostly) Java I would like to add another language to my portfolio. I am working mostly as backend dev, and I would probably like to stay somewhere in that area (meaning, with all respect to embedded programming,it is just not an area of interest for me).

    My experience with C++ was chaotic, while I can do some small projects, and I can even setup (very simple) CMake bulds, it just feels like I am sinking down the rabbit hole. With each new page of the book, new rule gets added. Personally, it is kinda "turn on" because of how hard it is, but at the same time, as a backend dev I am not really sure do I need it ? I have heard about rust long time ago but never gave it a thought until now. While GO is not really in same category as previous two, I am still bit interested in it,but less than C++ or Rust (or atleast that is what I think until I pick it up).

    So question for all of you who are working in mentioned technologies, which one do you think makes to most sense to add to portfolio as Java dev ?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/manyManyLinesOfCode
    [link] [comments]

    Running a discord bot 24/7 on Macbook air with local mongodb instance. Any issues with this?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 07:18 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    Working on a discord bot made with nodejs/mongodb. Been using the amazon t2.micro ec2 (free tier) to run the bot 24/7, and mongodb atlas for the database. Been experiencing a ton of slow downs from mongodb atlas to the point where the bot just crashes every time, saying it's unable to connect to the db. My best guess is cuz I am using the free version for that too, which uses a shared server. So it isn't totally reliable. The bot runs 100% fine locally, very fast. So I guess this is just a sign that I need to actually pay for a mongodb instance.

    However, I don't wanna spend a single cent for this bot unless I end up getting hundreds of users. It isn't worth the money yet for me to pay $57 a month for mongodb cloud which is apparently the cheapest price..

    I wanna just run it 24/7 on my old 2012 macbook air which I haven't used in 3+ years anyways. I can just run nodejs program there, and use a local mongodb instance. Is this sustainable? I plan to just leave it on 24/7 in the corner of my room plugged in. Any issues you guys can think of with this? Would it end up overheating, or use up too much electricity? I'm a total noob when it comes to leaving stuff on 24/7 haha, I'm the type of person that feels guilty about leaving my pc asleep at night instead of shutting it down.

    submitted by /u/NUJosh
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to create iOS apps...is swift really worth learning?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 05:19 PM PDT

    I am a complete novice when it comes to coding. Is it worth it to learn swift?

    Also, will swift eventually integrate into other programming if I want it to? Or should I look to other means for creating apps?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/zoom123457
    [link] [comments]

    [Question] Website building for non-profit

    Posted: 31 May 2021 06:47 PM PDT

    I'm looking to help a non-profit move their website from Wix to something that allows them to use a url such as "www.nonprofitname.com", but I have no idea where to start. Should I use Javascript, Django, a different website builder? I've never done something like this before and would love to use it as a learning experience while still giving back to the non-profit.

    I currently know a little Python, HTML, CSS, and I'm learning Java.

    submitted by /u/HoneyBadger5596
    [link] [comments]

    Self-Learn Code/Programming Thrift books Textbook or Book Recommendations?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 09:29 PM PDT

    I'm 21, Nonbinary, currently disabled, in school for Information Technology Information Security and Systems. It only touches on programming, and code.

    I would like to learn how to code inside and out multiple languages, the works, to better my chances at landing a job as I'm currently living on disability for my autism/ schizoaffective/ epilepsy. Any Book suggestions (affordable used) would be amazing, if you have leftover books that you recommend or don't want, I would love. I have nothing but time to learn.

    I want a career that I can more than break even on working. As disability only gives me 760$ a month. I will have to pay for my medical care as I will loose Medicaid and disability if I go back to work (yes even part time they would take me dollar for dollar as I am on SSI and not SSDI as I am not old enough to have paid into social security) I will have to pay for medications and more, which the government currently covers under Medicaid. Some of my pills are very expensive. I want the best opportunities I can grasp I don't want to live dependent on others forever as I have a daughter who lives with my mother as I try to get me head on my shoulders. I build computers for fun, and do some basic graphic design, but can't do much as my meds make my hands shake. I have a very supportive partner, and am living in a local college dorm.

    I have a more than capable graphic design laptop, as well as access to multiple gaming computers I have built (none are top of the line best one has a ryzen 2700x that I'm giving to my boyfriend in exchange for his AMDFX 8350 as he plays triple A games, I just like building, hobby and quality, haha.

    Blessed Be. Any recommendations will be purchased!

    submitted by /u/FelineTechWitch
    [link] [comments]

    Hello

    Posted: 31 May 2021 09:15 PM PDT

    Long story short I am trying to mod a game that as an authenticator, however, when I run the code with the correct username and pass, an error appears saying: "[json.exception.parse_error.101] parse error at line 1, column 1: syntax error while parsing value - unexpected end of input; expected '[', '{', or a literal" I have been trying to solve this for a while but I don't know a whole lot about coding other than the fact that I know for sure that this file has to start with a "{" as said in the download instructions, here is the example that is not working:

    {

    "username":"example",

    "password":"filler12345"

    }

    any help would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/FantasticBell4307
    [link] [comments]

    Need help in VB to calculate the mode.

    Posted: 31 May 2021 07:26 AM PDT

    I am learning how to program and im building a program in VB, in wich i have an array with 30 numbers, the array is sorted and I want to calculate the mode (number that has the most occurrences inside the array) how do I do it inside a for cycle?

    submitted by /u/ElidaFraley
    [link] [comments]

    SQL or NoSQL for storing bets on a betting website?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 11:27 AM PDT

    Hi, could use some help here for a project I'm working on.

    Case for SQL: The data for a bet is pretty relational. Every bet has a sporting event associated with it (events table), as well as the team the person bet on (team table), and the person that placed the bet (user table). A bet can have multiple legs AKA a parlay bet, so another table would be used to store the legs within a bet.

    Case for NoSQL: However in NoSQL, I can just store the legs as an array with the document. On my website a bet is part of a matchup between users, so I can just have a matchup document with all the bets inside to avoid joins. I can denormalize and store event info and team info.

    The problem with NoSQL arises when I want to grade bets. In SQL, I can just mark the winner in the events table, and join bets across this. However in MongoDB (what I'd like to use), lookups aren't nearly as efficient and I don't want to have to modify every individual bet to mark a winner.

    Obviously scale isn't an issue right now and may not ever be in the future, but I'd like to design with scale in mind just in case, and NoSQL will give me more future-proof scaling. That's the main reason I'd want to use NoSQL.

    I could use some input on this, thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/flying-astronaut
    [link] [comments]

    [Question] What's the algorithm for generating a square gradient?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 07:03 PM PDT

    given a plane that's 128x128, made up of tiles 1x1 in size, how do I make it so that the float value(brightness variable) of the tiles nearer to the edges are closer to 1.0f and the tiles nearest to the center are closer to 0.0f ?
    The tiles at the exact edges have a float value of 1.0f,
    while the tile(s) at the exact center have a float value of 0.0f;
    like this

    please and thank you ~

    submitted by /u/UnapologeticElitist
    [link] [comments]

    Can't Remove French Guiana From France - Natural Earth Data

    Posted: 31 May 2021 05:19 PM PDT

    I am using the shapefile ne_50m_admin_0_countries.shp to make a leaflet map in R. I want to be able to separately color French Guiana from France. The way I add polygons is by subsetting the file based on NAME_EN.

    I tried using QGIS Vector --- Geometry Tools --- Multipart to Singleparts but have had no luck. I am a complete noob at QGIS and was wondering if someone could walk me through how to make the French Guiana polygon accessible through Name_EN attribute?

    submitted by /u/sretcher
    [link] [comments]

    [Advice] VPN for Enterprises

    Posted: 31 May 2021 04:17 PM PDT

    In a video I have seen a guy working from home and when he wanted to work, he would connect to a VPN (that had some kind of MFA) and then he would be allowed to do stuff since only the VPN network was allowed (that is my guess). I think that this would be perfect for the company I work for. I have done a quick research and I found AnyConnect from Cisco with a thing called Duo (the MFA). But I have no ideia if this is the best sollution. I mean, I am looking for the best VPN for a good price. Can you guys advice me in what are the best solutions available to do such thing?

    submitted by /u/danieldspx
    [link] [comments]

    D&D 5E player app for blind friend?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 01:52 AM PDT

    I have started to fill a mind map (thinking a set of nested tables holding the values and modifiers) and having the interface to it as swipe up/down to scroll through list and swipe left/right to open sublist / go back up one parent level. is there a directory tree type structure better for holding the character data? I started using freeplane and it seems a good fit. I will learn if values can be made dependent on others (like in a spreadsheet with formulas). I have java and sql programming in the back of my head from 1999. some of the useful UML-stuff still works (use case design logic)

    submitted by /u/rainmatt
    [link] [comments]

    How to efficiently search a string for a substring from a given large list?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 01:09 PM PDT

    I have a list of about 100 000 names. I need to construct an algorithm that takes a string as an input and returns the longest name, which is a substring of the input.

    For example:

    From a list:

    ['foo', 'bar', 'baz', 'foobar'] 

    I want to create a function find_name, such that

    find_name("abc foobar 42") == "foobar" find_name("!!!!baz???") == "baz" 

    This is easy when the list of names is short, but I don't know how to do this efficiently when the list is very large.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Necrosovereign
    [link] [comments]

    Help with user login stuff - asp.net/vb/ms-sql-server 2014

    Posted: 31 May 2021 10:27 AM PDT

    So i am using visual studio 2019, ms sql server 2014 and building an asp.net website using VB.

    I am trying to create a website for a business where users (that i have defined in my sql DB) log in and based on their role and location they have access to do things like enter work orders, create invoices, clock in and out, etc.

    i have already built the databse, and the particular web pages but what i am stuck on is the user login piece.

    Specifically, once a user logs in, how do i get that login/role to persist once they navigate to a new page? I have tried using asp.net 's built in templates with authentication but it adds a bunch of user registration that i dont want. i intend on managing users seperately as part of the hiring process.

    any help would be massively appreciated, i would even be willing to pay for some help as this is really kicking my butt.

    submitted by /u/TruthisaPerson
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a roadmap from beginning

    Posted: 31 May 2021 10:24 AM PDT

    [deleted]

    submitted by /u/wyspow
    [link] [comments]

    Flask/React/D3.js Tech Stack For MVP

    Posted: 31 May 2021 09:16 AM PDT

    I am interested in outsourcing a data plotting/visualization product. Eventually I envision this product as a web application. Furthermore, the languages I am most familiar with are Python and JavaScript and I would like to have some oversight over what the team is coding. For these two reasons, I would like to have the team develop this product using a Flask/React/D3.js stack. React/D3.js would be ideal for front end data visualization and Flask/Python would be ideal for data manipulation. Any data that is persisted could be saved to file storage as csv files.

    I already have two potential customers who have committed to using the product once it is built. They are small customers who would serve the goal of testing and validating the product. For their specific use case, it would be much easier to deploy the product as a desktop application. That way I can just give them a single executable to use without worrying about web deployment and security early on.

    Can a Flask/React application be bundled up as a single executable? Would it still work in the browser if it was?

    submitted by /u/International_Fix_94
    [link] [comments]

    So here me out. Why is integer such an inefficient way of storing data, when you can compress it when it is less precise?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 12:36 PM PDT

    An integer can retain over 2M states. But it's an inefficient way of storing data. This is logical only when you have a number where every digit is a non-zero digit (ex. 74786513... etcetc.). But what if you want something less precise, like 1^(100). There is only one digit that is different from the rest. So why not compress it? You can remember the info about only one digit plus the 99 zeros. So you can store progressively more states while they are getting less precise. Is there a thing kinda like "compressable numbers"?

    Or maybe, I'm missing something and someone has already implemented it somewhere? Maybe there's an obstacle that I don't know of? I'd be grateful to learn about it.

    submitted by /u/fixion_generator
    [link] [comments]

    Need help solving this issue in typescript

    Posted: 31 May 2021 11:34 AM PDT

    hello guys i've created an api project in c# based on the restful model that communicates with a frontend where I have angular making http calls to my api. all was fine then I got this error

    RROR Error: Error trying to diff 'sagra modificata'. Only arrays and iterables are allowed

    at DefaultIterableDiffer.diff (core.js:21594)

    at NgForOf.ngDoCheck (common.js:3322)

    at callHook (core.js:2536)

    at callHooks (core.js:2495)

    at executeCheckHooks (core.js:2427)

    at refreshView (core.js:9450)

    at refreshComponent (core.js:10612)

    at refreshChildComponents (core.js:9238)

    at refreshView (core.js:9491)

    at refreshEmbeddedViews (core.js:10566)

    defaultErrorLogger @ core.js:6456

    handleError @ core.js:6504

    (anonymous) @ core.js:29654

    invoke @ zone.js:372

    run @ zone.js:134

    runOutsideAngular @ core.js:28560

    tick @ core.js:29654

    (anonymous) @ core.js:29523

    invoke @ zone.js:372

    onInvoke @ core.js:28661

    invoke @ zone.js:371

    run @ zone.js:134

    run @ core.js:28515

    next @ core.js:29522

    __tryOrUnsub @ Subscriber.js:183

    next @ Subscriber.js:122

    _next @ Subscriber.js:72

    next @ Subscriber.js:49

    next @ Subject.js:39

    emit @ core.js:25931

    checkStable @ core.js:28583

    onLeave @ core.js:28711

    onInvokeTask @ core.js:28655

    invokeTask @ zone.js:405

    runTask @ zone.js:178

    invokeTask @ zone.js:487

    invokeTask @ zone.js:1600

    globalZoneAwareCallback @ zone.js:1637

    load (async)

    customScheduleGlobal @ zone.js:1752

    scheduleTask @ zone.js:393

    onScheduleTask @ zone.js:283

    scheduleTask @ zone.js:386

    scheduleTask @ zone.js:221

    scheduleEventTask @ zone.js:247

    (anonymous) @ zone.js:1907

    (anonymous) @ http.js:1897

    _trySubscribe @ Observable.js:42

    subscribe @ Observable.js:28

    innerSubscribe @ innerSubscribe.js:67

    _innerSub @ mergeMap.js:57

    _tryNext @ mergeMap.js:51

    _next @ mergeMap.js:34

    next @ Subscriber.js:49

    (anonymous) @ subscribeToArray.js:3

    _trySubscribe @ Observable.js:42

    subscribe @ Observable.js:28

    call @ mergeMap.js:19

    subscribe @ Observable.js:23

    call @ filter.js:13

    subscribe @ Observable.js:23

    call @ map.js:16

    subscribe @ Observable.js:23

    Getsingleeventbyid @ eventiadmin.component.ts:49

    EventiadminComponent_Template_form_ngSubmit_127_listener @ eventiadmin.component.html:144

    executeListenerWithErrorHandling @ core.js:15275

    wrapListenerIn_markDirtyAndPreventDefault @ core.js:15313

    __tryOrUnsub @ Subscriber.js:183

    next @ Subscriber.js:122

    _next @ Subscriber.js:72

    next @ Subscriber.js:49

    next @ Subject.js:39

    emit @ core.js:25931

    onSubmit @ forms.js:3955

    NgForm_submit_HostBindingHandler @ forms.js:3988

    executeListenerWithErrorHandling @ core.js:15275

    wrapListenerIn_markDirtyAndPreventDefault @ core.js:15313

    (anonymous) @ platform-browser.js:560

    invokeTask @ zone.js:406

    onInvokeTask @ core.js:28648

    invokeTask @ zone.js:405

    runTask @ zone.js:178

    invokeTask @ zone.js:487

    invokeTask @ zone.js:1600

    globalZoneAwareCallback @ zone.js:1626

    Show 44 more frames

    core.js:6456 ERROR Error: Error trying to diff 'sagra modific

    i will link three images below to see my code and the response i got from the web api. as I dont' know how to solve it

    SEE IMAGES IN THE COMMENTS. thanks everyone

    submitted by /u/remons_00
    [link] [comments]

    How should I Build Server?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 12:03 AM PDT

    I am working on a project with the general idea of it being a lightweight password manager that can be connected to from anywhere by the client app and is self hosted by the user. I've already built this once using swift for the client and python sockets for the server but seeing as I am rewriting the client in React-Native I also want to improve the server. It needs to be able to send and receive information and either use sessions or authentication tokens to keep track of the logged in user.

    What would be the best way to make a server that can be individually hosted by each group of users and is relatively easy to set up? I have looked into things such as sockets and REST API's but I'm not sure if there is a better way.

    submitted by /u/Santiago_DM
    [link] [comments]

    How do I rename files in a file explorer based on their order?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 06:04 AM PDT

    Let's say I have a folder with 3x txt files named

    • 1.txt
    • 2.txt
    • 3.txt

    And based on that order, I would like to rename those files. 1.txt should always be named apple, 2.txt should always be named orange. 3.txt should always be named banana.

    How would I solve this issue and what kind of tool would I use for that?

    submitted by /u/Working_Doughnut82
    [link] [comments]

    Why does core dumped happen in my class? How to really debug this sort of error?

    Posted: 31 May 2021 03:50 AM PDT

    #include<iostream> using namespace std; class TwoD{ public: TwoD(){} ~TwoD(){ delete [] arr; } TwoD(int r,int c):row(r),col(r){ cout<<"Enter "<<r<<" rows of "<<c<<" doubles each"<<endl; arr=new double*[r]; for(int i=0;i<r;i++){ arr[i]=new double[c]; for(int j=0;j<c;j++){ cin>>arr[i][j]; } } } TwoD(const TwoD& b){ row=b.row; col=b.col; for(int i=0;i<row;i++){ arr[i]=new double[col]; for(int j=0;j<col;j++){ arr[i][j]=b.arr[i][j]; } } } void echo() const{ for(int i=0;i<row;i++){ for(int j=0;j<col;j++){ cout<<arr[i][j]<<" "; } cout<<endl; } } void set(int r,int c,double value){ arr[r][c]=value; } const TwoD operator=(const TwoD& b); friend const TwoD operator+(const TwoD& a,const TwoD& b); private: int row,col; double** arr; }; const TwoD TwoD::operator=(const TwoD& b){ if(this==&b){ return *this; } delete [] arr; row=b.row; col=b.col; arr=new double*[row]; for(int i=0;i<row;i++){ arr[i]=new double[col]; for(int j=0;j<col;j++){ arr[i][j]=b.arr[i][j]; } } return *this; } const TwoD operator+(const TwoD& a,const TwoD& b){ TwoD temp(a); for(int i=0;i<a.row;i++){ for(int j=0;j<a.col;j++){ temp.arr[i][j]+=b.arr[i][j]; } } return temp; } int main(){ cout<<"Enter the row and column dimensions of the array\n"; int r,c; cin>>r>>c; TwoD a(r,c); cout<<"Echoing the 2 dim. array, matrix1\n"; a.echo(); cout<<"Enter the row and column dimensions of the array\n"; cin>>r>>c; TwoD b(r,c); cout<<"Echoing the 2 dim. array, matrix2\n"; b.echo(); TwoD d; cout<<"Assigning matrix 2 to matrix 3\n"; cout<<"Displaying the 2 dim array, matrix3 resulting from assignment"<<endl; d=b; cout<<"Rows "<<r<<" Cols "<<c<<endl; d.echo(); cout<<"Displaying the 2 dim array, sum of matrix 1 and 2\n"; cout<<"Rows "<<r<<" Cols "<<c<<endl; (a+b).echo(); return 0; } 

    and why does my echo function print the wrong stuff?

    expected output:

    https://ibb.co/Csj5sH8

    submitted by /u/JacksonSteel
    [link] [comments]

    Help understanding a new sorting algo

    Posted: 31 May 2021 01:00 AM PDT

    Hi ...I was given an assignment to study new upcoming sorting algorithm. I found adaptive shiver sort a good example to work with but there is no material on the internet to explain this except a 35 pages pdf on it's time complexity and a video as well , which is beyond my understanding.

    Is there anything on the internet about it or if someone knows about this, a dry run would be greatly appreciated!!

    submitted by /u/Accomplished_Snow816
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment