• Breaking News

    Monday, March 22, 2021

    Tips for cybersecurity learn programming

    Tips for cybersecurity learn programming


    Tips for cybersecurity

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 06:08 AM PDT

    I want to get into cybersecurity anyone have any tips to get me started like where I should focus or where to look and tips to get a better start in the field. For any coding knowledge I have a basic understanding in web development (Javascript, HTML) and intermediate in python

    submitted by /u/Zephyr6171
    [link] [comments]

    Can I help you learn to code? Could you help me improve my English?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 05:04 PM PDT

    So, here is the deal.

    If you are beginner to programming and would like to have some help choosing topics, asking about industry or for code review, I think I can help.

    I'm far from being a super expert, but have been working in software many years. I'm more comfortable with back-end and databases, so I can tell a bit more about that area than front-end..

    Also I have helped some friends learn to code from scratch, so I have a rough idea of what it takes.

    And I need to practice my English grammar and pronunciation, so if you have some patience to talk a bit slowly and correct my mistakes it could be a win-win :)

    I'm on -03 GMT Timezone by the way.

    If you think it could be interesting, feel free to reach me by DM.

    Disclaimer: I feel more confident about helping beginners in the early stages or even junior level.
    If you are looking to crack a Google interview I cannot help at all, I also would like to know how to do that XD.

    submitted by /u/el-guish
    [link] [comments]

    I have the rest of this year to start learning about programming. Any advice? (CS50, OSSU, etc)

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 03:03 PM PDT

    Very suddenly, I've done an 180. Ever since I was a child, I wanted to learn programming. At the sweet age of 15, I decided I wanted to be a criminologist. Now, right before my university applications, I've decided I wanted to be a programmer (again).

    I have a very difficult time with traditional teaching. As such, since I will be going to university next year, I want to learn as much as I can before 2022.

    My pace: at least 3 hours a day of learning every weekday.

    I have looked into a multitude of paths.

    Initially, I was thinking of doing cs50. Then, I've learned about OSSU and was planning on following it, but Reddit doesn't seem too fond of it.

    I contemplated The Odin Project (I'm not sure I'm looking for a course exclusively focused on webmaking, as I do not know what I want to do with programming), FreeCodeCamp (A lot of people on Reddit say it isn't a good teaching ressource) and FullStackOpen (apparently this isn't a beginner course)

    So, what does /r/learnprogramming think?

    I'll be eternally grateful for your advice. Thank you very much.

    submitted by /u/Randomerpro
    [link] [comments]

    I know a some HTML/CSS and a tiny bit of JavaScript. I want to make a mobile workout app for myself and to learn in a more “project-based” way as well. I don’t know where to start!

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 05:50 PM PDT

    Everyone says to get out of "tutorial hell" just start making projects. I feel right now all I could make are less than stellar websites so I need more tutorials and learning to push me along.

    I'd like to start making a workout tracking app for my iPhone. Doesn't have to be anything crazy to start but I feel I'd have fun with this but I'm not sure where to start.

    I'd love to do it with JavaScript/React Native if I could, as those are things I'd like to learn (React and more JS in general) but I'm looking for good beginner, preferably all in one, resources to learn to do so. I saw one on YouTube but it was just flying through and I couldn't keep up and even if I did I wouldn't have really learned anything.

    Any tips/advice or pointers greatly appreciated, thanks all!

    submitted by /u/Culliganz
    [link] [comments]

    I used to learn C in university but then I went to army. Now I have to self-learn coding from scratch. Any advice?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 09:55 PM PDT

    Background: I majored in Physics at my university. I was graduated but couldn't find a job so I had to go army for 2 years. Now my army time is over and I'm self-learning to become a developer. I used to learn C in my university (but very basic).

    I still don't know which IT area I should follow (security, software or web, ...) . I'm currrently following CS50x and The Odin Project because I read p1xt guides. CS50x I'm on week 5 and I will finish TOP's Foundation course soon. While doing TOP, I realized I'm not interested on front-end developement. So maybe front-end is not a choice for me? I like said before, I read p1xt and it's my main source to learn coding. The problem is its Tier 1 only have Web Development courses. I'm not sure if p1xt is a roadmap for only Web Developer.

    I wan to try other paths, but I'm afraid with my little coding knownledge, I don't have much choice beside Web Development (I think Web Development requires less knownledge than other paths?). And I don't have much time before I have to find a job to get money.

    Any advice for me?

    submitted by /u/ashvsmay00
    [link] [comments]

    How can i manage my time to work on my projects? It feels like university is holding me down.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 04:02 PM PDT

    I was working on store project i have build the backend rest api with c# and i started to learn react so i can build the front end but university semester started and its pretty much from 9am to 6pm every day for 3 weeks then i will have to study for 1 month to prepare for exams and then we have 1 month of exams. I also started to watch course on react and advanced courses on design patterns on c# because i plan to apply for c# job but i can't work on my project because i also have to work on university frontend project and im taking calculus 2 which i bareley passed calc 1. I just started to see so much progress in my own studies and then semester happen and it all went away i had plans to apply in the summer and complete multiple other projects by then it feels like university is holding me down as im not learning anything good currently im learning basics of programming with c++ which i already know because i program in c++ before and its not like i can't be in lecture because i will miss assignments from professors...

    submitted by /u/draganov11
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to get my nephew (11) excited about programming.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 01:26 PM PDT

    Hey, I'm looking for some advice. I'm trying to find something for my nephew (11) that will help him get excited/spark his interest in coding. He's a good kid who's had a rough start to life. His mom (my sister) passed away when he was younger and his dad is in prison for the rest of his life. He has a short attention span and does poorly in school because he struggles to stay interested, even though he apparently has no difficulty sitting and playing fortnite.

    I'm a software engineering student/cyber sec guy and I've given him fun stuff like little malicious (inert) usb microcontrollers to plug into computers to "hack", but those get confiscated by his parents (my parents) pretty quickly. I've looked around for books but I don't think he will find it very engaging to learn that way. So, how can I combine his interest in video games and coding in a fun and engaging way so that he might start getting interested?

    Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/xchockax
    [link] [comments]

    How to create secure API

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 08:03 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I would like to learn how to create a secure API. I want clients to use the api to send parameters to my server, then have my server run a function with those parameters, and then return some data back to the client.

    For instance, a simple example is that the client sends my server 2 numbers to add, my server takes some time to run a function that calculates the sum and then returns the sum of the 2 numbers back to the client.

    To make my API secure, I want to give an api-key to each client and make them provide the api-key whenever they want to use my api.

    I'm not sure what type of API this is (restful, restless, HTTP). Whenever a client makes a request, it will always my server run a function according to some parameters and then returning the result of that function. The function will take some to run, and in most cases, the client will have to wait for my server to respond before doing anything subsequent.

    I want clients to be able use the api with multiple languages (Python, Node.js, curl, PHP). I would prefer building it with Python.

    Does anyone know any tips or resources to build this type of API? Is it possible to build it with Python and still have clients use it with other languages (Node.js, curl, PHP)

    Thanks so much

    submitted by /u/Sea_Flamingo3965
    [link] [comments]

    Compile a program using filesystem library

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 11:32 PM PDT

    I am trying to learn C++ by myself, I was trying to write a simple program that lists a files in a folder, so I used WINAPI (FindFirstFile and co), after posting my code for review, it was suggested using C++ 2017 that have the filesystem library. The problem (after too much online searching) that these compilers aren't fully C++ 17 compatible.

    I tried mingw-64, winlinbs and my 2 old favorites BCC from Embarcadero and Digital Mars aren't even C++14 compliant.

    I also tried using WSL, it did work but I got a.out file that won't work on Windows, so except installing the extremely heavy Visual Studio, what light preferably portable (uncompress and go) command line compiler is available?

    submitted by /u/StarWarsFanLeb
    [link] [comments]

    Do you still do leetcode or hackerrack after you get job/ intern?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 11:24 PM PDT

    If yes, How long do you and how often you do?

    submitted by /u/carpedeim007
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a JS buddy

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 11:01 PM PDT

    Hi. I would like to share / learn experience in JS. I have been coding for 6-7 years. It would be interesting to find a buddy and learn new things maybe in hackerrank or leetcode.

    submitted by /u/lievikoff
    [link] [comments]

    Would employers not like projects without code in resumes?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 10:55 PM PDT

    I am currently working on a project that could possibly become SaaS (Like Flashcard SaaS in my case). However, I am afraid of opening up my code on Github since it will include some code on how the backend works under the hood (Like membership and etc). Because of that, I have made it a private repository so far. I am a college student and I am aware that I would have to land a job later. I am worried if the employers don't like the fact that the project repository is private and making them unable to take a look at how I code. Can I still put the project in the Resume but hide the code? Is this ok?

    submitted by /u/poream3387
    [link] [comments]

    Could anyone recommend me a book about Algorithmic Thinking?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 12:53 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm learning about algorithm and the concept 'algorithmic thinking' is something I'd like to develop more. If you know a book to learn about this topic, it'll be great if you share it with us. Thanks

    submitted by /u/Colemissary
    [link] [comments]

    How can a company reduce bugs that pop up?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 10:49 AM PDT

    My 30 person startup received feedback from our first client today on our product. There were many bugs and the client was not enthused as a result. At a company wide meeting it became clear something needs to change.

    We are phasing out an external contractor who has no skin in the game and limited communication with our internal team (including myself).

    We are limiting the number of stages to dev, staging, prod. Maybe one other. The idea is to avoid getting lost in the weeds on the differences between more stages.

    We also implement basics. We use gitlab and a devops engineer handles automated ci/cd.

    As coordination goes, our 2 long time devs handle MR reviews. Our product owner does UA Testing. We don't have another QA person. We are limited on funds (I think, I don't have full visibility there).

    Is there anything else you guys would suggest?

    submitted by /u/cosmosfan2
    [link] [comments]

    Big Picture Question

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 02:13 PM PDT

    I'm setting up a Mac for coding and I executed brew install java in the terminal and it did it's thing and then printed this:

    For the system Java wrappers to find this JDK, symlink it with

    sudo ln -sfn /usr/local/opt/openjdk/libexec/openjdk.jdk /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/openjdk.jdk

    openjdk is keg-only, which means it was not symlinked into /usr/local,

    because macOS provides similar software and installing this software in

    parallel can cause all kinds of trouble.

    If you need to have openjdk first in your PATH, run:

    echo 'export PATH="/usr/local/opt/openjdk/bin:$PATH"' >> ~/.zshrc

    For compilers to find openjdk you may need to set:

    export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/opt/openjdk/include"

    Anyways, I ran the command

    sudo ln -sfn /usr/local/opt/openjdk/libexec/openjdk.jdk /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/openjdk.jdk

    and Java works fine.

    But what I would like to know is, is there a resource I can go to that can explain to me how unix-like operating systems work at a level so that I can build a mental model of how all of this stuff works? In a few days a hard drive will arrive through the mail and I'm going to use it to setut Linux on a PC and I'd like to be able to work from both the mac and the PC and push/pull from github to stay up to date on what I'm working on.

    So I would really like to know just how all this stuff works, path variables, dependencies, packages, symlinks etc, so that I don't hop from blog post to blog post copy/pasting into the terminal like a monkey, but have a consistent mental model of how everything works.

    submitted by /u/Chocadooby
    [link] [comments]

    Alright, I want to become a web developer. How can I actually become one?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 09:43 PM PDT

    I'm in high school still, and I'm very interested. I love love love computers. However, I'm completely inexperienced. I have no experience in HTML, CSS, Java, any of that. I don't even know what I need to study/get familiar with to start my journey. On the contrary, I still have lots of years ahead before I enter the workforce. A couple of years of high school, some college, all of that. I just think it's a cool job, and there aren't any downsides. What I'm asking is, where do I start? what can I expect? what's the best plan of action for the next few years? Anything helps, so please don't be afraid to comment.

    submitted by /u/KviingK
    [link] [comments]

    I have been learning javascript for 2 weeks now, should i switch?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 05:10 PM PDT

    So I started to learn JS with html and css along the odin project, and I realized that I enjoy programming background codes more than positioning texts and other stuff on the browser's screen. I was thinking Java, mainly because there's a lot more job opportunity where I live for java and C++ programmers. I really don't know much about programming in general, so any suggestion is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Agent_TeKiLLah
    [link] [comments]

    String Hashing with only one letter change?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 08:49 PM PDT

    I have a rolling hash function in C++, which is pretty much the function posted here.

    But to recap I get a hash number from this:

    hash = a + b*x + c*x^2 + d*x^3 + .... mod m

    Where a,b,c,d,... are numbers corresponding to each letter for of a string(in word 'math' this could be 18, 1, 29, 11), x is a small prime number and m is a large prime number.

    I am looking for an O(1) way to get the hash of a string with only one letter change.

    For example if I hash pipe and pile, I know, the char at index 2 is different. Meaning I could subtract the 3rd element from the polynomial (p*x^2) and add the other one (l*x^2), the issue here is that is in mod m. So I can't undo it in that fashion.

    submitted by /u/themusicalears
    [link] [comments]

    Question about querying a SQL database using Java (from Eclipse)

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 02:44 PM PDT

    Hi Everyone,

    I have a question about querying for data, relating to the line that says " .executeQuery("select NAME from EMPLOYEE");"

    When I replace NAME in ".executeQuery("select NAME from EMPLOYEE");" with *, it works out and prints everything.

    However, I want to call writeResultSet function and be able to print out only NAME. But when I simply have NAME instead of *, it throws an exception.

    I can see why it does, due to how my function is written. How can I rewrite the function so that it has both the ability to print NAME and SALARY when needed, as well as printing only one or the other when needed? Thanks!

    public class MySQLAccess {

     private Connection connect = null; private Statement statement = null; private PreparedStatement preparedStatement = null; private ResultSet resultSet = null; private static String urlstring; final private String host = "xxxxxxxx"; final private String user = "xxxxxxx"; final private String passwd = "xxxxxxxx"; public void readDataBase() throws Exception { try { connect = DriverManager .getConnection(host, user, passwd ); statement = connect.createStatement(); resultSet = statement .executeQuery("select NAME from EMPLOYEE"); writeResultSet(resultSet); } catch (Exception e) { throw e; } finally { close(); } private void writeResultSet(ResultSet resultSet) throws SQLException { while (resultSet.next()) { String name = resultSet.getString("name"); System.out.println("Name: " + name); int salary= resultSet.getInt("salary"); System.out.println("Salary: " + salary); } } } 
    submitted by /u/rantothecity50
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone tried this paid stack overflow alternative, and if so, what are your thoughts?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 08:24 PM PDT

    This site: https://bugufo.com/

    They seem to be by invite for now but wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with it (actually got in) or if there are other SO alternatives you'd recommend, as I find SO to be very difficult sometimes.

    I generally love r/learnprogramming but I think it's useful to know more resources because sometimes I just get no response on either platforms.

    submitted by /u/massimosclaw2
    [link] [comments]

    I've learned Python, what should I do next?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 02:26 PM PDT

    Few months ago I decided to start learning Python. I went through the fundamentals, did a bunch of coding challenges, coded a few small projects. I really enjoy coding. I'd say I've learned Python but not "mastered" it yet.

    I was thinking of learning Web Development languages - HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, but should I? I'll be studying CS after highschool and I have problems with math. Should I instead spend my time learning or re-learning math subjects that I'm bad at? And what if I later decide that I want to become a Game Dev or any programming job that's more math heavy?

    Any advice?

    submitted by /u/Boomat
    [link] [comments]

    What language for a building 2D Physics simulator?

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 02:26 PM PDT

    So for a school project I am aiming to produce a 2D physics simulator, that provides a GUI and 2D graphics. The simulator will be able to simulate planetary orbits and collisions between planets/particles etc. However I am really quite unsure what language/environment to use to program it. I'm very familiar with python and was thinking of using a graphics library, however that would be very slow. I'm also familiar with C#, but I am unsure what platform would be best to create a 2d simulator with it. I've looked into MATLAB, which looks promising, but there is a cost to it.

    I'm willing to learn a new language if it is what is best, as I'm already familiar with all the physics/maths so that will not be a problem. Overall I have all the theoretical skills necessary to do the project, but education has failed yet again to educate me on how to apply them so I am unsure on exactly where to start!

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/ELGaming04
    [link] [comments]

    loop code help!

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 08:02 PM PDT

    !/usr/bin/env python

    name = input("Name: ")

    if(name == "name"):

    print("hello [name]")

    else:

    print("hello [name]"")

    hey guys up here i have a code and i need to loop it. how would I do that?ignore the name I put that to protect privisy. while loop btw

    submitted by /u/coconut_hat
    [link] [comments]

    WebDev/JavaScript: How do you refer to a previouly clicked on page in a new page.

    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 07:57 PM PDT

    Sorry this seems like a dumb question but how do I refer to elements of a different page on a new page.

    For example a user clicks on a restaurant name in a page listing a bunch of restaurants. This takes the user to a new page about that restaurant. How would I then reference the necessary elements to populate the new page with the correct information from my database? I'm used to referring to elements on the current page and making a bunch of Ajax requests but don't know how to do this on a new page where the elements don't exist.

    Hope this makes some sense...

    submitted by /u/deadant88
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment