• Breaking News

    Monday, March 8, 2021

    sharing with you my process on game art and feel in 4 minutes, still a noob but I hope you can find my pov helpful! (Any feedback would be greatly appreciated)

    sharing with you my process on game art and feel in 4 minutes, still a noob but I hope you can find my pov helpful! (Any feedback would be greatly appreciated)


    sharing with you my process on game art and feel in 4 minutes, still a noob but I hope you can find my pov helpful! (Any feedback would be greatly appreciated)

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 12:01 AM PST

    Open Source Decentralized, Self-host Cloud Gaming/Application

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:10 AM PST

    I created and published a mobile game while living in Syria, here’s how I did it

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:22 AM PST

    tl;dr: Find motivation, have hope, start simple, create something before you pay money, it's okay to ask for help.

    Hi Reddit!

    I'm a developer who lives in Syria, I worked alone for a year to create a mobile game; A few days ago, the game went live on the Play Store!

    I'm here to share with you my experience and give some tips, hoping that they will bring you some inspiration and motivation to complete your own project.

    I'll try to keep it as short as possible!

    In 2020, I decided to start my own company and publish my own games.

    Syria is an embargo country, which means most worldwide companies aren't allowed to do business/ offer services to the people in Syria, no credit cards or online payments, and most websites and online services are blocked, etc…

    That, in addition to the civil war, the pandemic and many other factors, life became very tough; in a way that even the basic things like electricity, fuel and food are scarce. (We only get electricity for about 9 out of 24 hours on a good day).

    How:

    Inspiration, motivation and hope:

    In my experience, motivation is the most powerful factor in working and finishing your projects.

    Inspiration sparks motivation, and you can get inspired by doing simple things that you enjoy.

    Hope is what keeps motivation going.

    Keeping it simple:

    A trick that I learned, when you think of an idea, try to come up with the simplest form of it.

    Let's say you came up with an idea for a platformer game, the simplest form and the very first step in creating that game is creating a character that can move and jump over things.

    My advice is to write that as a to-do task that you can mark as a complete later (It will feel great I promise!).

    I use Microsoft To-Do, it's simple and have a nice UI but there's many other apps that can do the same if you prefer.

    From there, you can expand on that simple idea, adding new game mechanics and other stuff, and writing them down as to-do tasks.

    Getting things done:

    In my case, this step was the hardest, because I didn't have enough electricity and battery life to work full time, so it always felt like I was in a race!

    I made use of the off time, by coming up with more ideas and looking up solutions on my phone for problems that I've came across while making the game.

    Then finally, after completing a task, marking it as complete will give a great sense of progress!

    Placeholders vs Nice looking assets:

    It's a common practice that when you start working on a game, you use primitive objects as placeholders, till you replace them later with assets that will likely be used in the final game.

    I don't know about you, but that doesn't work for me, I tend to feel less motivated when the game I'm working on doesn't look nice.

    There's so many free assets on the internet, and I find using nice looking assets can inspire your imagination and you can actually come up with more awesome ideas while working on your game.

    Founding a company and publishing the game:

    Once my game was nearly complete, I had a project that I could showcase, I poured my heart and soul into my game, and I was very proud of the results.

    I had some money saved from my previous job, and using a middleman, I registered for a website!

    Using Mobirise I built a professional looking website.

    I contacted my cousin who lives abroad, I was hesitant to ask for help, but he was extremely helpful and supportive, and he helped me register for the Google Play Store, and to buy some assets from the Unity Asset Store!

    Marketing:

    I created a Facebook page, a Linkedin page and a Twitter page, and with the help from my family and friends, I managed to get about a hundred people to download and play my game, it isn't much, but the game is still new and I'm happy anyway.

    The result:

    Despite all the terrible obstacles, I managed to complete a game and publish it online!

    I tried to keep this post as short as possible, but I hope it was helpful!

    The game I created is in Arabic, but if you guys still want to check it out and see how it turned out, it's here, if you do check it out, please let me know what you think!

    Thank you for reading!

    submitted by /u/Moonif
    [link] [comments]

    The Witcher 3 but it's Unreal Engine 4

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 12:01 PM PST

    A month ago, I took a break from my huge complicated projects to finally make something I can release. I would recommend it!

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 06:13 AM PST

    Having a game virtually done and releasing soon has been a huge boost to morale for me. Now that I'm out of the giant "dream game" mindset, I am excited to keep making and releasing more manageable projects. Anyone else done the same?

    submitted by /u/youAtExample
    [link] [comments]

    What made Valheim so popular?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 03:45 AM PST

    Hey! We've played more Valheim than we care to admit. We started to think about what really made Valheim so popular so quickly? Is there a secret formula? (Spoiler: no)

    So we reached out to some other developer friends and did some research to summarise the key factors behind Valheim's success.

    1. Right sub-genre
    2. Relatively bug-free
    3. Quick to download and great value for money
    4. Nostalgia inducing look and feel
    5. Multiplayer is in
    6. Streamer-friendly
    7. Consistent pre-release awareness building
    8. Incredible timing

    Article link: https://vginsights.com/insights/article/what-made-valheim-so-popular

    It's easy to say the key to success was streamers or having a good publisher or something else, but the reality is more complex. There were a lot of factors, good timing and probably a good deal of luck involved.

    Did we miss anything?

    submitted by /u/VG_Insights
    [link] [comments]

    In-game purchase Survey

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:59 AM PST

    Hello people at /gamedev. I need your help!

    I'm a Games User Research student at the University of Skövde, Sweden. I'm running a study about Players attitudes towards In-Game purchase.

    Your participation is voluntary, and you have the right to cancel anytime you want under the duration of the study. Your responses will be anonymous, and cannot be traced back to you. I appreciate your help. It will contribute to my coming Master's Thesis.

    The survey takes about 3-5 minutes to perform. The results will be posted next week.

    Please click on the link to participate: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfawT-88aroSajcBOMJuOFVKHKca5e49fNP7tn16nEoxdbVHA/viewform?usp=sf_link

    Thanks in advance! :)

    submitted by /u/EmergencyMorning1043
    [link] [comments]

    How to PBR texture paint with Blender 2.9

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:20 AM PST

    Hey guys, here is how to do PBR texturepainting with Blender 2.9:

    https://reddit.com/link/m0nl7d/video/i3c99yw4uul61/player

    This is the full video tutorial https://youtu.be/5\_DpPoIOqi4

    submitted by /u/jayanam
    [link] [comments]

    Easy, long and effective Unity 2D tutorial! Enjoy!

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 08:50 AM PST

    Naughty Dog technical presentations on The Last of Us 2 from SIGGRAPH 2020

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 06:43 AM PST

    How Normal Mapping Works | C++ 3D Game Tutorial Series

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 07:47 AM PST

    How long have you been making your game for?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 12:20 PM PST

    If it's been several years, what are the reasons you can attribute for it taking so long?

    If it's been less than two years, do you see it taking much longer? If you plan to release within this time, what are you doing to finish your game in a short time range while still making a good game?

    submitted by /u/BRWArts
    [link] [comments]

    I'm creating a show to provide game design feedback for indie devs in video form. Wanted to see who would be interested.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 08:34 AM PST

    Hey everyone, I'm new to the whole feedback Friday thing and after I participated last week, I got the idea to provide feedback in videos. The idea is I would play a game, record my gameplay, then edit together a response video that gives detailed game design feedback based on my experience.

    I want to make this a show because it provides a good place to see what kind of feedback happens again and again. The point is to provide viewers with a way to learn from others' mistakes.

    I already have a show that deals with game design if you want to get a sense of what I'm doing here.
    https://youtu.be/IFzGki0cxbs

    Obviously, that show is a bit more cynical because it's fun to be that way for bigger developers.

    If you're interested, please use this link to submit! And thank you! I'm excited to try this out!
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScU9vUaezJq_tkdp2GyrseOfkCasQZDIe4F2D9pfeyxJXPFKA/viewform?usp=sf_link

    submitted by /u/Games_Over_Coffee
    [link] [comments]

    #DoomBreaker​ - Introduction with Gameplay

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 12:15 PM PST

    Advice for indie game publishing/finding a good publisher?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 12:14 PM PST

    Hi everyone,

    I was wondering if anyone here could share some advice when it comes finding an indie game publisher. I have been working on a game of mine for the last few months and I am finally in the closing stages and will be finished very soon. However, I feel I really need a publisher if I want anyone to actually see/play my game as it is a bit of a niche genre that could use a publisher's backing to help it reach people.

    I've read a lot of the basics about pitching your game to a game publisher such as building a pitch deck and submitting a demo build, and for the most part I think I have that down. But any advice on this would be great.

    I am looking for people's advice on what game publishers they believe are good choices to pitch to. I've been looking for people's opinions on this, but for the most part I just find people copy and pasting the same list of indie game publishers rather than reading people's actual opinions or contributing more names to that list. Some suggestions on good indie game publishers and why you like them would be great!

    And one last bit: About how long would you estimate a game publisher will respond after you email? I did send my game in to one of a more major indie game publisher and it has been about 2 weeks with no response. I was wondering about how long it would take, as I figured I would send to this publisher first as they are the one publisher I know I would sign with right away, before I send out to more publishers. Thank you!

    tldr: Your advice on finding an indie game publisher and pitching to them, and what are some indie game publishers you'd recommended/recommended reading into

    submitted by /u/123Dannyt
    [link] [comments]

    The Technical Art of The Last of Us Part II by Waylon Brinck and Steven Tang || SIGGRAPH 2020

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 12:09 PM PST

    Where is the best 3D game engine without programming?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:56 AM PST

    I have a simple question: where is the best 3D game engine without programming?

    submitted by /u/markcopperman78
    [link] [comments]

    Helping a person can be so simple - my friend is creating a magical learning game and is down on his luck.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:54 AM PST

    This level is for making a fun time of the grit part of studying math. Would a kid/your kid/some one else kid like it?

    Ambrozia - a learning game

    My friend and neighbour lost a battle over royalties with his former company and is now forced to pay their legal costs (450 000 euro). He is a great visionary but he is in need of support to get his confidence up and find his way back. A comment and feedback can go a long way!

    I helped him set up a twitter account to get his art and game development and it would mean the world to him, and me, if you would visit it and leave a comment or just view.

    Twitter: https://twitter.com/search?q=SchubertOla&src=typed_query&f=user

    submitted by /u/abbegrahn
    [link] [comments]

    I’m looking for honest feedback on my first yt video level speed run

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:29 AM PST

    Require assistance regarding 3D engine optimizations

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:29 AM PST

    So I've followed javidx9's 3D engine from scratch tutorial and I think I've made decent progress. However, when it comes to rasterization, SDL does not support any sort of filled shape. So, I had to experiment with a few different implementations of rasterization algorithms.

    I'm looking for any suggestions regarding how I may speed up the engine, whether it would be through faster algorithms etc., as well as the coding convention in general.

    Hopefully, the engine would be optimized enough in the future for something to be built on top of it!

    Here's the repo, along with an interactive demo (64-bit):

    https://github.com/SeanJxie/3d-engine-from-scratch

    Thanks in advance for the help! :)

    submitted by /u/UberSeal
    [link] [comments]

    Let's get together(on discord)

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:04 AM PST

    In all seriousness, lets. We find ourselves all in quite the intrepid industry where the only thing that is certain is that there are other people trying to do the same thing as you. Well I've elected to start a server where content creators and developers can come together not only to learn from each other but also to create a community of connection, favors and success. In our world this is one of the best advantages out there, and it doesn't cost a thing. Thus I encourage yall to join my discord server, where if there isnt a place for you already, I would like to help make you one. Hope to see yall soon.

    https://discord.gg/JhUc9tZA

    submitted by /u/Numbered_
    [link] [comments]

    Programs for making 3d D&D maps (for commercial purposes)? Experienced in 2d, want to make 3d maps. Suggestions?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:27 AM PST

    I'm a mapmaker for TTRPGs (D&D, Pathfinder, etc) who's looking to transition to a different style. I'm hoping to find a program to create 3d levels and use those to make 2d encounter maps (via a top-down screenshot). Can y'all help point me in the right direction for a program?

    submitted by /u/FerretFoundry
    [link] [comments]

    Worn Rusty Metal Container with Peeling Paint PBR Material - Substance Designer Tutorial

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 12:21 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment