• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 10, 2021

    Gamedev Logs and Why You Should Use Them

    Gamedev Logs and Why You Should Use Them


    Gamedev Logs and Why You Should Use Them

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 10:08 AM PST

    So recently I've researched ways an indie game developer could get some publicity or even a small following. I determined a Gamedev Log would be one of the best routes for a solo developer.

    Theres a few ways you could publish your gamedev log: • Itch.io Gamedev Logs • Tigsource • Gamedev.net • YouTube

    Each place has there own unique benefits, YouTube is really good if you can film and edit an entertaining blog. Itch is good if this is your first game or you're just getting started. Tigsource isnt as big as the other two, but it still has a pretty active community. Same could be said about Gamedev.net

    Devlogs are a really great way for a solo developer or indie game developer to gather a small community or small following to convert into steam wishlists then to purchases.

    submitted by /u/PixelSteel
    [link] [comments]

    How to create ability sounds on a budget

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 07:25 PM PST

    I made a video on the basics of triangle winding, culling modes, and double sided materials in Unity! Link in the comments

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 10:18 AM PST

    The FlatRedBall game engine has been in active development since 2005 with the goal of making 2D game development as easy as possible

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 11:17 AM PST

    As the title says, FlatRedBall (FRB) is an open source game engine that has been around for a while, but you might not have heard of it before, even though it is mentioned alongside other popular game engines on Microsoft's game engine list. Whether you are new to game development or consider yourself advanced, there's probably something in FRB for you!

    The main tool in the kit, called Glue, helps with setup and keeps your project clean as it grows, but still gives you full freedom as a programmer. You won't be restricted to no-code gamedev like some engines since you have full access to all C# features. Everything you do in Glue makes generated code, so you can take a peek at any time to get a feel for what boilerplate code you are saved from writing yourself!

    There's tight integration with Tiled Map Editor, and a new wizard which will help you get started with a new top down or platformer game in under a minute.

    Plus, there's a great UI tool called Gum which seamlessly integrates with Glue, so you'll be designing menus and dialogs in no time. When is the last time you had FUN making UI in your game?

    If your interest is piqued, please check out this blog post which gives a more in depth overview of how you will be developing games with FlatRedBall.

    We would love to hear from you on the discord server, or you can dive right in. There are also several tutorials you can use to learn with, and Glue comes with a bunch of starter projects that you can quickly create to either start a new game or get acquainted with Glue in a real project.

    We really hope to see you soon!

    submitted by /u/FlatRedBall
    [link] [comments]

    Dynamic Mesh Painting in UE4

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 08:52 AM PST

    How do game devs handle animations for combos in combat? Are they separate animations spliced together? Are they individual attacks blended together? Is the full combo animation created then separated into parts?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 07:24 AM PST

    Are they separate animations spliced together? Are they individual attacks blended together? Are there animations for each variation of the combo (i.e. an animation where only the first strike is performed, then first and second, then first and second and third, etc.)?

    I am working on original third person combat animations and am trying to figure out the "right" way to handle it. I use Unity3D, and I know animation blending is a thing and wonder if that plays any part in it (although I do not know if my model would work with animation blending, I use a custom rigging I did, although the model is humanoid shaped, I haven't tried it). I am asking because I don't want to waste a bunch of time doing things an inefficient way, as I have with many other parts of my game development dabbling (leading me to need to redo and redo).

    It seems like the most intuitive way to do it would be to create the entire combo set of all attacks flowing together, then cut the main animation up into several that can be played if the player continues spamming attack. Is this correct?

    submitted by /u/wannabedev5678
    [link] [comments]

    Camera Lock On To Enemy | Action RPG Tutorial Series

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 08:43 AM PST

    Hi Everyone! I'm an afterschool teacher and just had a minilesson on Game Design with some middleschoolers! I was wondering if yall could answer some questions for them?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 11:44 AM PST

    I know a bunch of these are kinda big questions, but feel free to just do some quick short things for whatever catches your interest. This was just a minilesson to get them thinking about games of all types and how they work, exposing them to different career fields and interests and all that.

    "How do you come up with an ORIGINAL idea?"

    "What is the hardest part?"

    "How many program languages do you need to know to be an efficient game designer"

    "What's your favorite coding language"

    "What food is there at game companies"

    "What do you do?"

    "Do you like doing it?"

    submitted by /u/oefiefieuwbe
    [link] [comments]

    How does my game itch.io traffic converted to Steam. With numbers.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 01:33 AM PST

    Hello everyone,

    Recently, the free alpha version of my space survival terraforming game has had some good exposition on itch. I wanted to share some numbers with you, as I know gamedevs love that kind of stuff :)

    I had two main goal uploading the alpha on itch :

    - Collect early feedback from players

    - Try to convert some of it on Steam Wishlists

    The numbers

    I've already updated games on itch, but this one did really better in term of expositions & downloads. I would say the reasons are : The genre, the graphics and the capsule art.

    The game stay a week on top of new & popular, and apparead multiple times on the front page.

    Now, it's almost gone from those lists, and you can see it's going down fast.

    Here's the graph

    - Total itch downloads : 3800

    Steam Wishlists

    To get some steam wishlists, I added a link to steam on the page, and I created a in game popup reminding players that they can wishlist on steam.

    In addition, some content creators played the game, thus, increasing exposure.

    Here's the number of wishlists during the period

    Obviously, all of the wishlists doesn't come from itch, but I would estimate approx. 50% do.

    Takeways

    I'm happy with the experience, because I've collected a lot of great feedback from players, and gain some visibility. I think I will do the same thing with a beta version in a few months.

    Hope this is usefull!

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/MijuGames
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for resources to gain some expertise on textures, maps, and shaders. I don't really know what I don't know!

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 07:12 AM PST

    Can anybody point me toward an online course, articles, or videos that would explain textures, maps, and/or shaders in detail? I can follow along when a tutorial uses them, but I feel that I lack the vocabulary to adequately further my own understanding.

    submitted by /u/Robot-Satan
    [link] [comments]

    Game Makers: What are your daily struggles in game development and design?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 03:01 AM PST

    Hey Everyone

    It's justjordan from the Business of Gaming Forum. I'm busy planning topics for this years conference and need a bit of help.

    What are your daily struggles? What are the biggest opportunities?

    Thanks guys

    submitted by /u/JustJordan123
    [link] [comments]

    1-Bit game jam happening the first weekend of April

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 08:33 AM PST

    Morning gamedevs,

    I wanted to do a game jam in the next month and decided to host one instead.

    https://itch.io/jam/1-bit-jam-101

    The theme is 1-Bit meaning Black and White pixels only. There will not be a theme beyond that.

    Any engine can be used (I like GameMaker myself) and its a normal 48 hour jam.

    The highest rated submissions will be streamed LIVE afterwards.

    And lastly I have a Discord to discuss jam ideas or just hang out in a chill community.

    https://discord.gg/KQfPtytY2b

    Thanks and happy devving

    submitted by /u/PureNukage101
    [link] [comments]

    I got admitted to the Game Design Masters track at SMU Guildhall. Should I go?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 11:26 AM PST

    So I did my undergrad major in Computer Science and Engineering. However, I have no desire of doing a plain tech job. In recent years, I have developed a passion for creating video games and so meddled with Unity for a while. I now really wish to get into game design - I love art, psychology and design. I am okay with programming too but that's not my first priority.

    I have done a lot of research. Yes, I am aware of the 'uselessness' of any Game related Degree. I have thought of going indie but then I can't sit jobless and just make games with the hopes of something happening. Even if I get into a gruelling tech job - there's very little chance I can do game dev on the side and I'll be stuck with a crappy boring job. So I thought going to a program might give a platform for a boost at the least.

    I applied to SMU Guildhall - knowing it boasts one of the best game design and dev programs - and got accepted. But now am in bit of a dilemma - I have also applied to the well-renowned DigiPen and other institutes but their decisions will take time to come. Moreover, I will have to confirm my decision for SMU by March 19.

    I am also aware of the dearth of Game Design jobs. Yet again, I felt that maybe going into the program will expose me to the right people, give me an opportunity to network effectively and give access to right resources and the time I need to give me a chance into the industry. I am also aware of the work hours there. I am willing to go above and beyond to do stuff beyond just my curriculum to develop a stellar portfolio and make connections.

    So ultimately, I am still confused. I have several questions I need to clear up. E.g. One of the questions I have is whether I can work on game coding too even if my specialization is design - just for backup's sake? How are my chances? How are SMU's connections with game companies? How are the career services? To sum it up, should I give this a pass and wait for the others? I feel I will miss out on a golden chance though. If there's anyone from Guildhall or anyone know anything about it, please let me know. Your honest insights would be really appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/srey_rc
    [link] [comments]

    How much % does itch.io take if you live in Canada

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 10:06 AM PST

    Let's say I'm selling a game for $10.00 US. What percentage of that would come to me if I live in Canada?

    submitted by /u/uncle__charlie
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for people to learn game engine programming with

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 12:41 PM PST

    Hey, i would like to study with others, i thought of starting with the mythical man month book to study software engineering first, add me on discord if interested : Rack#3697

    submitted by /u/Rack760
    [link] [comments]

    OpenGL on DirectX: Conformance & upstreaming of the D3D12 driver

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 10:57 AM PST

    One year ago, Collabora announced a new partnership with Microsoft to build OpenGL mapping layers to DirectX 12. Today, we're excited to share that the we have passed the OpenGL 3.3 conformance tests, and have now upstreamed the D3D12 driver in Mesa 3D!

    https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/news-and-events/opengl-directx-conformance-upstreaming-d3d12.html

    submitted by /u/mfilion
    [link] [comments]

    Get started with the Unity Test Framework

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 07:41 AM PST

    making windows 32 bit version for my game. does anyone even still use it? or should i only do 64 bit version and improve performance

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 09:39 AM PST

    all in the title

    submitted by /u/Fathybasha
    [link] [comments]

    (Part 2) 3d LOWPOLY Gold Mine in BLENDER (3d Modeling) 3d Game Design | Low Poly Rocks | Lowpoly Art

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 05:08 AM PST

    What's your devlog workflow?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 09:17 AM PST

    I'd like to start making devlogs, but I have a few questions about how they're planned and created. I'll be focusing more on the coding/experimentation side, rather than showcasing a nearly complete game. My audience will be other developers. If you have any experience with this kind of technical devlog, I'd like to hear your input.

    When planning your videos, do you plan to show off something you've already completed? Or do you pick a video topic first and develop towards that goal?

    When recording, do you record your screen/development process as you go and then edit it down? Or do you do all your development "off camera" and then go back and record coding reenactments once you've worked it all out (and have perfectly formatted code to show off)?

    Any other thoughts on streamlining the devlog workflow? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/SarahnadeMakes
    [link] [comments]

    Minimax Algorithm for turn-based game

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 07:54 AM PST

    Hi, how should I implement the Minimax Algorithm to a XCOM like turn-based game? I mean I should use score to each action like, move to cover, shoot, fall back etc. Or even is it possible to do that kind of game with Minimax algorithm?

    submitted by /u/kajahun123
    [link] [comments]

    I feel like my vertical slice is in a good state, now what?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 04:38 AM PST

    So I've been working on this thing for a couple of years and I feel like I've added all features I wanted, the gameplay feels solid and it looks good enough to release it to the public but I'm not sure what the best course of action is now.

    This week I was creating an itch.io page to release a demo and gather some feedback but then I was doing some research and I have some concerns that maybe someone has some insights on.

    • When I create an itch.io page do you think it's best to create a steam page with the demo as well for wish listing and whatnot?

    I feel like I would gain a lot more traffic if I release the steam page simultaneously with the first demo instead of creating the steam page afterwards through an update or whatnot.
    This way I can add the steam link to the itch page and a link in game aswell.

    • I think the prototype I have now might have too much content for it's own good. Should I strip away some gameplay features?

    Obviously it's not finished and alot is missing, but there still might be more then an hour of gameplay if you really wanted to "complete" the current game and collect/craft everything.
    It's a roguelike dungeoncrawler so the goal is to replay the game, still I don't want players to feel like they've seen most of the game from the demo even if other levels, playable classes, etc are still missing.

    I do plan on doing a kickstarter so I might be better off saving some content I have now for an early access build instead of adding everything I have right now in the current demo.

    What do you think?

    submitted by /u/deadhorse12
    [link] [comments]

    The Lesser God - UPDATE In Engine Testing.

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 11:52 AM PST

    Has anyone taken Zenva Academy: learn to make an rpg game course?

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 09:11 AM PST

    I keep getting ads for this website and thoight it would be fun to make an rpg game but I dont know if this is a trusted course or not. Has anyone taken it before? Is it trustworthy? Is it easy for absolute beginners to learn game design?

    submitted by /u/jadayking
    [link] [comments]

    I wrote a tool to test translations, could do with some help!

    Posted: 10 Mar 2021 05:13 AM PST

    I decided to have my store text translated into all possible languages. My first idea was to simply use google translate, but I was not confident it would be good enough. I received an offer for all languages and it sounded good + the translation service seemed to be valued highly. After about a week I received the files. I speak German and had sent an English text to be translated. Because I'm not much of a writer, I had German translated too. I'm glad I did.

    The German translation was absolutely terrible. Checking with Google Translate it was a very close match, a few weird changes even made it worse. I had a friend check Dutch and he said "it makes my head hurt". At this point I lost all confidence in the translations and decided to write a tool to hopefully help me evaluate. So that's what I have been doing for the past 2 days. The numbers are pretty, but it might not mean as much as I hope. I'm also unsure how to handle some of the languages, but maybe I can get a hint in the comments.

    https://www.falkenbrew.com/translator/index.html

    The tool allows you to paste two texts and compare them, in the drop-down you can select the translations that I have had done.

    I added all human translations and the corresponding AI translation (copy paste). Interestingly it seems Google Translate does not always deliver exactly the same results. But it's quite obvious where the correlations are. I did check a few with DeepL too and the Zulu AI translation seems to use a deprecated google API.

    What I am completely unsure about is what these correlations really mean. If the AI translation is really good, the correlation can be high without it being an issue.

    Yesterday I did receive a reply from the translation service, they are going to look into it. Shortly after that I also managed to confirm that the Polish translation is very good. So it's not just a scam. I'm still not happy that I would be sent something so closely related to AI translation, but I currently don't know how many are actually bad/good.

    Feedback so far: Dutch (makes head hurt) - German (terrible) - Catalan (good) - Chinese (barely does job) - Polish (really good) - Hindi (very technical wont connect with the people) - Finish (pretty terrible) - Czech (not good)

    submitted by /u/marcgfx
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment