• Breaking News

    Monday, March 8, 2021

    An Interactive Guide to CSS Grid web developers

    An Interactive Guide to CSS Grid web developers


    An Interactive Guide to CSS Grid

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 06:23 AM PST

    How I sell my hand coded static sites to small businesses with Wix or Wordpress sites and get them to switch and pay me for something better.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:55 AM PST

    People often ask me how I find my clients and what do I say to get them to pay me for a website even though they have wix or Wordpress and can do it themselves for free.

    The number one factor in then choosing me is my price point. $0 down and $150 a month unlimited edits and 24/7 support. It's affordable and well within their budget and they like the idea of having you stick around to help that they can turn to. You're selling a relationship first, and a website second. YOU are the special ingredient. Sell yourself first.

    When they ask what's wrong with their Wordpress or wix site I explain to them the differences between my hand made static sites and dynamic page builder sites. How the problem is with the platform and the way they're coded. Here's a write up I did on how I explain it to non technical people:

    https://www.oakharborwebdesigns.com/blog/articles/what-is-the-difference-between-hand-coded-websites-and-wordpress-sites.html#blog-post

    And when they ask what the benefit is of me handling their site verses them I tell them that while running their business the last thing on their mind should be their website, learning how to use it, updating it, and making sure it stays secured and online. Their time is better spent growing their business while someone like me can take that load off their plate and be their website partner in their pocket.

    Then I talk about web accessibility and what happened with dominoes and how I use code that helps screen readers use their site, which google picks up on and helps your rankings.

    When they ask why should they continue to pay me for years, I tell them that at the end of each month, the Website will bring in more than $150 in value to the business in new customers because of how the site looks snd how fast it loads and how it makes google happy and maximizes their online presence to make more money. And after a couple years or so if the site starts to look outdated I will redo the whole thing free of charge. It's all part of the subscription plan.

    That's how I do it. At the end of the call they should be more knowledgeable about websites and how they work and the differences between static and dynamic sites. An educated client is easier to sell to because they can better understand the value you bring.

    I have 30 clients the I have acquired this way, many of whom I convinced to ditch the free page builders and pay me to do their website right. You CAN sell to small businesses and best out the page builders and cheap Fiverr people. You just have to tweak your business model and learn how to sell yourself and expertise and how it brings value to their business. Let me know if you have any questions!

    submitted by /u/Citrous_Oyster
    [link] [comments]

    You want enabling CSS selectors, not disabling ones

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 07:02 AM PST

    This almost makes me miss pop up ads.

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 06:20 PM PST

    Does anybody know a similar tool as https://redditinsight.com/#trackpost?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 07:47 AM PST

    It seems that the tool is not functional anymore, and I can't seem to find something similar. Do you have another tool in mind that can track Reddit posts in real-time?

    Sorry, if this is not the place to ask such a question, I have no idea which subreddit I should ask.

    submitted by /u/WowUDumb
    [link] [comments]

    How do you scale your code for a 4k monitor?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 02:43 AM PST

    Recently I bought a 34-inch 4k monitor and I'm wondering if the way you write code changes for you in some way.

    I checked my websites on fullscreen and there was only 1 instance where I didn't set the max-width for the container so it just expands to the full width of the monitor so it looked really stretched out.

    My question is do you set max-width for containers or just have them in full width and scale the fonts and images responsively with a vw, vh units? For example, I tried it with a clamp() function which worked perfectly on my full HD monitor but the maximum size of the font was still kinda small on this big monitor.

    submitted by /u/panveduci
    [link] [comments]

    I created a website tracking the crimes being committed by the military in my country

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 03:47 AM PST

    Edit: "documenting" is a more suitable word than "tracking" in the title.

    Myanmar was recently under a military coup as you might have heard in the news. The website was originally only meant to track the crimes and violations being committed. But I made it into a content hub with useful links. (But majority of the content is still evidence of crimes and brutality) Please check it out :) I update daily. Trigger warning, blood, violence, gore and shootings. Just dont click on the evidence button of the incidents.

    Also I'm only still a beginner. Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated, especially regarding SEO.

    https://myanmarspringrevolution.org/index.html

    Edit 2: Massive thanks to the two users on this subreddit who helped me recover my domain name after it was falsely blacklisted

    Edit 3: This is gaining more traction than I anticipated. The most helpful thing you can do right now is to tell people this site exists to spread awareness

    submitted by /u/teehee99
    [link] [comments]

    What should I learn to stop screwing up with grid systems?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 02:12 PM PST

    I have not used the pure CSS way of grid or flex system, I mostly work with frameworks like bootstrap and primeng. A coworker told me there's no need to know or go deep into them because the framework we use already does most of the heavy lifting. However it's taking me a full day to finish creating just a small div with 4 columns inside it. My weakness is mostly knowing how and where to set up the appropriate width and height.

    Would like to hear some advice on how to approach this problem.

    submitted by /u/Roid96
    [link] [comments]

    Taro — a lightweight 3D game engine for the web

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 12:10 AM PST

    Is there a time when I shouldn’t be looking things up and instead think of it myself?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 08:01 AM PST

    As a beginner, I understand that looking up syntax/documentation is fine and normal but what about looking up how to do small features or functionalities?

    For example, I was working on an image gallery website and I followed this tutorial on how to do an image light box and I feel like I just cheated since I didn't take the time to think of that myself. I also looked up how to do the masonry layout using CSS grid. Should I have just spent the time to think of how to do something like this or is looking it up then trying to understand the logic behind afterwards fine for a beginner?

    submitted by /u/Jekkers08
    [link] [comments]

    How to implement Teeter totter or Seesaw visualization for a dashboard

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 03:27 PM PST

    I have some positive and negative entities which have the same weights and I need to display them on a seesaw/ teeter-totter. The plank should "tip" at a certain angle based on the number of entities on each side and where they are placed on the plank.

    Do I really need to use a physics engine for this? If yes, which one would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/shravi1995
    [link] [comments]

    how to make web application pretty?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 03:15 AM PST

    Hey!

    I am a web developer coming from the more back-end development side so design has never been my area. I did actually work with more web development years ago, but then someone always made the web designs so I could just make the mark up after the photoshop design.

    Now I am creating my own web app and it is looking promising! However, I have no clue how to make a nice design. The functions are working as I want them, but the overall website looks not very cool. Front-end wise, am I using angular with bootstrap since that is what I know best, but even so I can't get stuff look pretty. I want it to be really simple and easy to navigate which it kind of is but but colors and shadows etc is not the best looking. What do you guys do? I am thinking of hiring one UX designer on fiverr, is that like the normal route? Or do you actually do everything yourselves.

    For example, how it looks now in my post list page:

    https://i.imgur.com/cBRnLVz.png

    It feels too dead, empty not welcoming. My app will have a lot of text from posts and I don't plan on adding images any time soon.

    submitted by /u/hennakoto
    [link] [comments]

    Host your game from localhost server to webserver

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 02:58 PM PST

    Hi guys, so I got into JS recently and started practicing with HTML5 canvas games. I found out how to make a multiplayer game which uses Node.js and socket.io.

    Right now the server is connected to my localhost

    How would one add this to their website, and make it so that the server is directly linked with the webserver?

    submitted by /u/Theundertaker69
    [link] [comments]

    POSTing files to C# backend without an ASP form

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 11:00 AM PST

    for company bureaucracy reasons my options for how to receive the file are limited. I'm primarily node and php on the backend so I'm not sure how to do this in C#. Googling around is only giving me topics on how to make file upload forms with c# and asp, but I need to send the files directly from a node script. Right now I have it posting to a php script, but for various reasons that's no longer viable.

    Seems like I could probably create an endpoint to point the node script at?

    I'm getting lots of false positives in my googling so wondering if anyone can point me in a better direction with links or suggested search terms. In the mean time I'll be skimming some pluralsight courses for hints.

    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

    submitted by /u/raymond8505
    [link] [comments]

    I want to start freelancing. Is it efficient to write websites from scratch or should I use Wordpress themes?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 02:29 PM PST

    I already have decent knowledge of HTML, CSS and Javascript. I'm not going to look for front end job before I learn React, but I would like to make some money in free time and from what I've learned having WP skills may be very helpful as it's good to provide website with some CMS, so client could edit stuff easily. There was one time that I created a website and then made it to work with Wordpress, cutting code and connecting it with php. And it was fun. The thing is, I wonder how much sense is in that and maybe I should just learn to use WP Themes to be more efficient. I feel comfortable with writing from scratch, but maybe not using themes takes away some functionalities that WP Themes have?

    submitted by /u/Armauer
    [link] [comments]

    Zoomable image question

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 02:21 PM PST

    Looking for JS/CSS to let users do the following with a large image:

    1. Zoom in and out of the image.
    2. Display text popups on rollovers at all zoom levels.
    3. Make certain image elements hyperlinks, as with image map area tags.
    4. Navigate the zoomed-in image (when bigger than the screen) by dragging, a la Acrobat.

    TIA! :-)

    submitted by /u/jolifantoBambla
    [link] [comments]

    JavaScript: What is the meaning of this?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:30 AM PST

    possible to put a "wrapper" around my responsive website for a mobile app?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 02:07 PM PST

    have a fully functional website i wish to make into a mobile app. the same dev company who built it for 5k wants 13k to turn it into a mobile app.

    as I am not so wealthy, are there options like turning the existing website code into a mobile app for downloads via our site? things like Ionic come to mind based on research but are there any pitfalls or things to worry about from ya'll in the know? thank you for any pointers.

    submitted by /u/shermski4
    [link] [comments]

    How to tell if a web development agency is legit?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 06:22 AM PST

    TLDR; Looking for web app development, quotes seem too cheap, how do I tell if the agencies are legit?

    I'm looking to build a web app for my start-up as I don't really have the time to build it myself (gave it a go in Laravel - quite fun but challenging!).

    I've spied a couple of agencies online that have very low development costs, one quoted me just £1200. Both of these are apparently UK based and have supposedly worked on some high profile sites.

    I'm looking to build a peer-to-peer property portal, nothing too complex, but I have no idea what the cost should be. I have heard that web app development costs upwards of £10k or so, thus to me the quote I received was very cheap. I generally believe in the 'if it seems to good to be true, it probably is' mindset, so this raised red flags. I've checked every review site I can find; one site appears on 'Bark' with loads of 5* reviews and no negative feedback, all very recent as well; the other I cannot find anywhere. I also checked Companies House and the site that quoted £1200 is owned by a company that hasn't been around long.

    Can anyone advise on what to look for? I'm not sure if I can post the links to the websites in question.

    submitted by /u/Mortdecaii
    [link] [comments]

    Do web development involves these graphical parts too?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 01:48 PM PST

    Not sure how it works.

    As far as i know web development is just putting together and making things work with HTML, CSS and JS.

    Putting things together, NOT making things and putting them together.

    For example, looking at a small store i noticed they have lots of pictograms and more pictograms.

    Not sure if they are called pictograms but they look like pictograms so i am calling them that.

    Is the job of a webdev also doing these or a client that task you to make a website for him has to provide them?

    Where do you even learn this if i am supposed to make them myself?

    Tried asking on /r/freelance but that sub is dead and the question pertains more to webdev anyway.

    submitted by /u/UnavailableUsername_
    [link] [comments]

    How to Download Any Website

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 01:46 PM PST

    Not sure where to ask this

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 09:54 AM PST

    Is it possible to run an apk on my website? I want all users on the website to see the app at the same time.

    submitted by /u/iHateRollerCoaster
    [link] [comments]

    Question about hosting images on a website

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 01:32 PM PST

    Hello all,

    I'm a student currently learning web development using ReactJS. I've got a general web development question that I feel will be appropriate to ask on this subreddit. My question is in regards to images on the website. For some context, the project I am currently working on will have around 100+ images and at this point I've just been importing them locally with an image folder that has all my photos. However I am wondering if it would be better practice to host these images on a data base or server somewhere and import them using a link to the source instead of doing it all locally? What are the pros and cons of both of these methods and if hosting them on a server is better what do you recommend is a good hosting service to store and access all my images?

    submitted by /u/whotheFmadethis
    [link] [comments]

    How can I set up website to transfer funds from debit / credit cards to other bank accounts?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 01:30 PM PST

    Spec:

    User puts in card number, expiry, and ccv. They choose an amount of money. They select a bank account (from a collection of saved accounts) and transfer funds.

    I'm basically trying to build an online marketplace.

    Using elixir on backend.

    Can someone please tell me how I can do this for as cheap as possible?

    In EU btw.

    submitted by /u/goughjo
    [link] [comments]

    Browsersync: is there a way to put it behind basic user/password authentication?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 01:07 PM PST

    As per the title really. I'd like to use Browsersync on a remote collaborative project so I'd need to put it behind some basic authentication to stop casual prying. HTTP-SERVER does it but it seems to be absent from browsersync.

    submitted by /u/neilbaldwn
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment