• Breaking News

    Sunday, February 21, 2021

    Would anyone be interested in a React guided project? web developers

    Would anyone be interested in a React guided project? web developers


    Would anyone be interested in a React guided project?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 08:25 AM PST

    Hello all!

    After spending some time tutoring people in web development, it inspired me to create a "guided project" program for people. I know how difficult it can be to find programming help, learning material and get started building your own projects from scratch. This guided project can help you do just that.

    The idea of the guided project is to simulate a work-like environment. There are no tutorials to follow, and all of the code you write will be your own! Instead, I have created a list of tasks / user stories to describe how the web app should work, and a design of what the site should look like. You will have to figure out how to implement it with your own ideas and code! Of course, I will be available to answer any questions if you get stuck.

    The tasks / stories are separated into phases that should take about a week, depending on how much time you have to dedicate to the project. There is no rush as this is all self paced. At the end of the phase you would submit your code to me (via github) and I will review it and provide feedback about what you did awesomely and where you can improve.

    This is all free, of course. If you are interested, please let me know! I want give back to the community :)

    Edit: Thanks for all of the hype! I commented on the thread about how to get started, but for more visibility I will add the website here.

    Checkout https://guidedprojects.dev for more information on getting started and join the discord channel!

    submitted by /u/ScriptKiddi69
    [link] [comments]

    Web Developers 40+, do you stay in the same role as you get older?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 10:15 AM PST

    I've been doing some reading on ageism in tech and as uncomfortable as it may be to admit, it seems like it is a legitimate concern for people working in web development.

    My question is to people 40+ who used to or still do work in Web Dev:

    Do you keep working as a developers? Take managerial positions, become CTOs? Or change to something different?

    submitted by /u/AI-ape
    [link] [comments]

    I work as a web dev but know nothing about the intricacies of it

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 08:43 AM PST

    I've been working as a web dev since I graduated a few years ago. I've mainly worked with Django on the backend, and React on the frontend. I don't dislike my job but I'm not in love with it either, so I haven't been particularly motivated to learn about parts of our stack that I don't have to touch or about what goes into web development as a whole.

    As the family/friend group "computer guy", I tend to get asked if I can make people a website (something I'm sure plenty are familiar with :p). Usually I realize that it's well beyond the amount of work that I'm willing to do, even for compensation, and let them know that. But, I was recently asked to take up a project that is small enough in scope that I feel comfortable in my ability to put in the work.

    The problem, I've realized, is that I don't know the first thing about making a website from the ground up. I can make things with Django or React in existing projects alright, but I don't know how to go about looking into the requirements for me to actually make a site, even a very basic one.

    What they're asking me to do seems simple enough: for now they want a site with a few static pages, an event calendar/list of some sort, and a way for people to create an account with an email that they can have on file when they need to email people with regards to the events. I'm just lost as to how to get started and what kind of cost I'm going to have to front to get the ball rolling.

    TL;DR

    I've worked as a web dev for a few years but don't have the slightest clue about domains, hosting, managing data, or really anything that's not working directly with Django or React. Any advice or resources appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Celerfot
    [link] [comments]

    Web Dev noob question: currently know Html, CSS and halfway through JavaScript (TOP). What other languages do I need to know to mess around with API’s?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 01:10 PM PST

    Built My First Gatsby.js Site

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 05:34 AM PST

    I created a templating library similar to React using native web components

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 03:36 PM PST

    https://github.com/Thunder-Solutions/thunderous

    I've been working on this off and on just for fun. I've been hesitating to show anyone, because it's not polished nor heavily tested, some major features are missing, etc etc. But I realized I would keep hiding it forever if I didn't just make myself a little vulnerable, so here it is in all its infancy!

    Basically, as the title suggests, it's a library that lets you define native web components in a React-like functional way. It also takes some inspiration from Vue and Angular in many ways. One of the major differences is that the utilities, which you would typically import in React, are injected into the component functions.

    Another interesting addition is the concept of presentational components vs semantic containers. You can of course opt out of the pattern by using the core createWebComponent function, but I added a couple more which decorate that with some extra steps, createPresentationalComponent and createContainerComponent. The idea is that presentational components don't serve any semantic purpose at all and are strictly for style, which is why it's safe to hide all the markup from the browser (and exclude from SSR) by using the Shadow DOM. On the flip side, container components exist purely for semantic and stateful purposes, not style.

    SSR isn't offered out of the box right now. I'm still contemplating how to handle that... or whether I should at all. React has Next, Vue has Nuxt, maybe I should leave it alone and let this also be a library with an optional framework.

    Anyway I could talk all day, but take a look yourself, let me know what you think! Real nervous about showing something that isn't perfectly up to my own standards yet, but then again nothing ever will be. Just wanna get some feedback about the idea at least!

    submitted by /u/Strange_Night2150
    [link] [comments]

    How can I create a Web page with interactive elements which update when another user interacts with them?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 01:16 PM PST

    I am wanting to create a Web page with a few interactive elements on it, and when a user interacts with one of these elements it will update on all the other users page too.

    Is there a way to do this or a library that can help do this kind of thing?

    submitted by /u/Ragnnaros
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a "best practice" on how to write SQL queries that grows with user input?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 05:49 AM PST

    I have a search form on the website with optional fields, so the user input can range from 1 to 16 different values from 4 different fields (every field represent a column in a table in the database). The way I solve this now is by having if statements that just says: if (userInput is one value) --> do this etc.

    However, this feels like a really subpar solution, and just unmanageable. If there was 15 values but from only one field then it would probably work fine I guess, but now when each field can have 0-4 values, the possible queries now goes up to 256.....

    I could probably hack together something that solves this BUT I feel like this should be a pretty usual problem, and because of that maybe there is a go-to solution out there?

    Appreciate all the help I can get, I only have 2 months of experience with sql. I'm using Postgres btw with an express js backend.

    submitted by /u/lapurita
    [link] [comments]

    Who would be your preferred colleague?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 01:37 PM PST

    Let's say you can choose between two colleagues but have to pick one of them.

    As an example the job is to create a landing page based on a design handed over by a designer. Everything needs to be 100% done in a certain amount of hours and the budget is somewhat tight.

    Alternative 1: Jumps right in and does his/her part in 5 hours. The result however is not 100% correct, and it needs to go back and forth a few times (including PM and designer) to make it perfect. This person has a wide set of skills, but struggles with picking up some details of the delivered design.

    Alternative 2: Does his/her part in 8 hours, and the result is 100% correct at first try. Did however go one hour over budget and will only get paid for 7. This person has a more narrow set of skills but is really good at html/css and can spot the difference between 12px and 14px margin in the blink of an eye (thus hitting 100% at first try).

    Who would you choose and why?

    submitted by /u/TwinnyNO
    [link] [comments]

    How difficult is CSS?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 03:10 AM PST

    One of the things I hear from people is that CSS is a difficulty in web dev which I am experiencing myself. I come from native iOS/macOS and Flutter dev backgrounds. I hear a lot about CSS and how you have to deal with different layouts like flexbox and grid. I also hear how it is a pain point for web development.

    I am curious to hear, how long it will take someone who has built native apps to cover CSS. I have worked with React JS before so I got JS and all that down. I mean I can work with JS and HTML, but CSS seems a bit off from someone who has been building platform-native apps.

    I thank you guys who do choose to respond and help out! Any advice or help would be appreciated! :)

    submitted by /u/jazilzaim
    [link] [comments]

    Beyond the browser

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 11:08 AM PST

    I have been building frontend projects for a few years on and off now and i am a little confused where i should move to next. I have been building little "Apps" but they always run in the browser. What would be the next step to building things that run outside of the browser?

    submitted by /u/joeyupstate
    [link] [comments]

    What to do if there aren't programming jobs where I live and moving isn't an option?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 11:55 AM PST

    I know there are remote positions, but I'm not sure if there will still be many remote positions for junior developers once the pandemic is over. What to do then? Maybe freelance online? I live in a country where the cost of living is cheaper than in the U.S, so freelancing for American companies would only need to bring me about 40k/year. Maybe I could create my own web apps and monetize them? Or create courses and stuff like that? A combination of all of this?

    Some advice would be great.

    submitted by /u/realdumpsterdude
    [link] [comments]

    How to get website url pattern?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 09:25 AM PST

    Hi Everyone!

    I want direct user to correct page on Microsoft Math solver https://math.microsoft.com/en

    I see from url that it take calculation in query so this must be possible. For example:

    y = 3x + 4 give https://mathsolver.microsoft.com/en/solve-problem/y%20%3D%203x%20%2B%204

    How I can do this? Anyone know what structure this use for translate calculation into url query?

    submitted by /u/Flutter_Dev
    [link] [comments]

    5 Easy Steps to Start a Web Development Career in 2021

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 01:03 PM PST

    I set my grid columns in px, how do I keep the contents from overrunning the box/ grid?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 12:27 PM PST

    Is there a way to tell a grid box to contain whatever object (text/ picture) is put in there.

    I figured out text, but I'm not finding a way to contain a picture in spite of the size of the picture.

    Edit: I made it a background image, but I'm not sure if that is a best practice.

    submitted by /u/anonoman925
    [link] [comments]

    How would you go about creating "demos" from paid themes?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 08:37 AM PST

    Hi!

    I have a list of leads I want to contact and to put all the chances on my side, I want to create a "mockup" of what their website could look like. The mockups would be from paid theme I would buy if the customer is interested by my offer.

    My initial idea was to do everything in Figma, put it in a PDF and then send it. However, it would be pretty time expensive to replicate everything in Figma.

    My second idea was to copy the theme locally, do the changes and put it online on my websitel. Time consuming too.

    My third idea was to make the changes directly on the demo of the website. However, it's a bit challending and if I hit F5 by accident, bye bye to all my progress.

    Anyone ever did changes on a theme before buying it in order to show a client the potential results? If you show demo to clients, how do you do so it isn't expensive and doesn't take a lot of time?

    submitted by /u/AsteroidSnowsuit
    [link] [comments]

    selling things on website

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 03:56 PM PST

    hey guys ! I know html,css and js and I was wondering how can I do to sell stuff on my own website without a third party involved.. where should I start ?

    submitted by /u/Antonerious
    [link] [comments]

    Authentication for apis?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 06:50 AM PST

    I am trying to create an app using a js framework and an api for retrieving recources. I need to implement authentication with local login. Is there any way to merge the api and the authentication server without compromising security, or is it better to keep them separate? As a sidenote, there might be a need to add extra apis in the equation as the project grows.

    submitted by /u/hellcaller
    [link] [comments]

    Taking backup of image-heavy websites?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 03:33 PM PST

    I have an image-heavy website where daily thousands of images are uploaded. I've moved all the images from my server to cloud (blackblaze b2).. Since my images are directly uploaded into cloud. I guess downloading large sets of images and then taking backup will also cost me fortune and then storing those backups somewhere will cost me another fortune.

    When backing up database etc should I take backup of images too or just leave them where they are and have faith in cloud storage?

    submitted by /u/waqasy
    [link] [comments]

    (Node, Express) - how do you include a css file ?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 03:08 PM PST

    app.get("/", function(req, res){ res.sendFile(__dirname + "/index.html") }) 

    This is the part of my code where i include the html file, if the index.html has an external css linked to it, it wont work, i also tried res.sendFile(__dirname + "/style.css") but that didnt work. Cant find an answer to it on google

    submitted by /u/sudolake
    [link] [comments]

    HTML not showing anything after php script?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 03:07 PM PST

    Hello everyone!

    I'm created my website and database, which I have linked together to showcase data from mySQL table. On a raw "non-formatted" web page, mySQL's table data is echo'd to the webpage however in the formatted webpage it just seems to make everything after the php disappear? submit button, the footer,...etc. Am I missing anything in this code to close it off?

     <div class="content"> <h4 class="motto">Press the button below to record your scream!</h4> <div class="subscribe"> <h5 class="info-text">Scream Metric: <?php require ('dbh-inc.php'); $sql = "SELECT * FROM scream ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 0,1;"; $result = mysqli_query($conn, $sql); $resultCheck = mysqli_num_rows($result); if ($resultCheck > 0) { while ($row = mysqli_fetch_assoc($result)) { echo $row['volt'] . " <br><br><a href='#' type='submit' class='btn btn-danger btn-fill' onClick='window.location.reload()';>SCREAM!</a> </h5> </div> </div> </div> "; } } else{ echo "no data"; } ?> 

    And just for reference, my dbh-inc.php should be correctly formatted, as I have it running to add values into my database, and it functions.

    Here is my dbh-inc.php file just incase I am missing something:

    <?php $servername = "localhost"; $dbusername = "**********"; $dbpassword = "**********"; $dbname = "All-Inclusive"; $conn = mysqli_connect($servername, $dbusername, $dbpassword, $dbname); if(!$conn){ die("Connection failed: " . mysqli_connect_error()); } $volt = $_GET["volt"]; $query = "INSERT INTO scream (volt) VALUES ('$volt')"; $resulted = mysqli_query($conn, $query); 
    submitted by /u/VantaWitch
    [link] [comments]

    Should we rebuild our website with wordpress?

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 06:20 AM PST

    My friend and I have spent the last 6-7 months building an MVP for our new website concept. The website is a service for retired/nearly retired people to plan for and manage their retirement. There are a lot of custom analytics and we have plans for additional interactive tools in the future. I am pretty comfortable in python, so we built the MVP in flask. Here's our current tech stack:

    Front-end: - Flask - User authentication with AWS cognito - DynamoDB - Plotting with Chartjs - Financial account linking with Plaid - Deployed with elastic beanstalk

    Back-end: - Flask - Heavy-lifting computations performed in C++ code compiled into a shared library and passed to flask API using Ctypes - Deployed with elastic beanstalk

    We approached a web dev company to help us with subscription integration and upgrading the ui/ux. In their pitch, they recommend completely rebuilding in wordpress. Reasons cited include more robust security and easier integration with subscription management services. If we have to rebuild the website from scratch I'd be more comfortable committing to a framework such as react or angular or moving from flask to django. My concern with wordpress is that our website is interactive, dynamic and fairly customized and I don't want to lose the functionality we have now with python. The research I did mostly said wordpress can do anything, but may not be right for highly customized websites. Could wordpress be the right framework to adopt?

    TL;DR A web development company recommended we rebuild our flask website with wordpress. Is that the right decision?

    submitted by /u/szb5100
    [link] [comments]

    New to developing a website

    Posted: 21 Feb 2021 03:04 PM PST

    Hello,

    I'm sure this has been covered before, and not sure if this is the right sub. Do you know what the cheapest website hosting service? I'm just selling a simple service. Thank you in advance! It's just that GoDaddy is charging a bit more than I can do right now.

    submitted by /u/oceancut
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment