• Breaking News

    Monday, February 1, 2021

    Monthly Getting Started / Web Dev Career Thread web developers

    Monthly Getting Started / Web Dev Career Thread web developers


    Monthly Getting Started / Web Dev Career Thread

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 04:00 AM PST

    Due to a growing influx of questions on this topic, it has been decided to commit a monthly thread dedicated to this topic to reduce the number of repeat posts on this topic. These types of posts will no longer be allowed in the main thread.

    Many of these questions are also addressed in the sub FAQ or may have been asked in previous monthly career threads.

    Subs dedicated to these types of questions include r/cscareerquestions/ for general and opened ended career questions and r/learnprogramming/ for early learning questions.

    A general recommendation of topics to learn to become industry ready include:

    HTML/CSS/JS Bootcamp

    Version control

    Automation

    Front End Frameworks (React/Vue/Etc)

    APIs and CRUD

    Testing (Unit and Integration)

    Common Design Patterns (free ebook)

    You will also need a portfolio of work with 4-5 personal projects you built, and a resume/CV to apply for work.

    Plan for 6-12 months of self study and project production for your portfolio before applying for work.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    The Complete Guide to Centering in CSS

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 05:48 AM PST

    I built a simple speed-typing multiplayer game bot for slack and discord with Node.js

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 01:23 PM PST

    Wall Street Bets Ticker Dashboard with Real-time data, brokerage info, and news.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 08:04 AM PST

    Can we please stop filling the internet with bad documentation?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 01:23 AM PST

    I feel like this is becoming more and more problematic. I'm not a superstar programmer. But I'm not an inept one either. If the documentation is clearly written with good working examples, that's all I need most of the time. If it's a more advanced concept that I haven't explored then, of course it's more challenging. But if the docs are good, I can get through it and actually come out of it having learned something. But so many times the docs are terrible.

    And so we go looking through Medium articles or blog posts. At first it might seem like there's a lot of good info out there. But no... There's a lot of "this is how you can do it, if you want to do it exactly how I did it." Or even worse - "this is how someone else did it in another blog post which I copied and changed the variable names." That's not helpful to anyone. And it just makes the internet a little bit worse. So please... no more.

    submitted by /u/k3l2m1t
    [link] [comments]

    Best practice for an online shop backend?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 02:03 PM PST

    I'm building a small online shop to sell photo prints. My plan is to use a third-party vendor for distribution, so all I need to do is advertise the photos, send orders to the vendor, and then they handle everything else.

    My idea is as follows: I will have a frontend with product listings, hooked up to an API which serves product data (using Strapi for this), promos, page data, etc. Then, I will have a second API acting as a microservice, used for order fulfilment.

    The fulfilment microservice will handle customer orders - everything from the checkout stage onwards. Basket data will be stored on the frontend only as I'm not using accounts. The microservice will also receive notifications from the vendor via a callback URL and send emails to customers. Additionally, it will be used to show the current status of, and manage, ongoing orders (after recipient address verification).

    My question is... Is this the best solution? Is there a better option which I'm missing?

    submitted by /u/vhexs
    [link] [comments]

    I’m trying to make a valentines gift for my programmer boyfriend... help!

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 01:45 PM PST

    I apologize if I'm not following the Reddit etiquette, this is my first time ever posting to Reddit so bear with me.

    I'm trying to create a painting for my boyfriend this Valentine's Day and I'm needing ideas.

    I'm not entirely sure where to even start, but here's what I was thinking.. I'd like to create/paint some kind program code that is cute and my boyfriend would find funny.

    Here's some background on him... hopefully this sounds familiar to you guys. I know he's a web developer, and he's always on this group. He uses laravel, html, and other things to code.

    Please, excuse my lack of knowledge on this topic. I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm trying! If there are any questions you need answered, please ask them! I'll make sure to get the answer.

    submitted by /u/ErynSparkks
    [link] [comments]

    Table sorting should go back in the HTML spec

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 01:11 PM PST

    I'm working on a project where we use ag-grid

    Unfortunately it's actually a bad choice for our case, because we hit its known accessibility limitations and we have very strict accessibility requirements.

    Anyway it got me wondering - why are we so quick to reach out for JS-driven grid solutions? The first thing that came to my mind was a big one for us - Sortable headers.

    Clicking on a table header and having it immediately sort client-side rather than having to fetch a new template from the server just makes sense. But right now you can't actually do that without custom JS. That's nuts to me.

    Turns out a while back the HTML spec was in agreement.

    However they removed the table sorting model due to lack of implementer interest. Which IMO was a terrible idea.

    I think this should go back in the spec, because we should be moving to a world with more powerful HTML, so JS is not a necessity to get common-sense user experiences.

    We can only use the platform if the platform is as powerful as what we desire.

    submitted by /u/Jaymageck
    [link] [comments]

    Improving rendering performance of a real time whiteboard application

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 06:40 AM PST

    React Placards. A stacked card components inspired from Stripe's banner.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 11:24 AM PST

    Introducing Private Click Measurement, PCM

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 11:48 AM PST

    How do I make the transition from being a front-end developer into a back-end developer?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 01:51 PM PST

    I want to make the transition from being a front-end developer to a back-end developer. I know very little about back-end development, so my assumption on the role is simply being able to build out APIs and being knowledgeable about internet security. I'm sure I'm way off the mark here, as back end development is a very broad field. I'm so lost on how I should properly make the transition into getting a professional role as a back end developer, so I'd appreciate some guidance.

    Here's a basic plan for my current transitional roadmap:

    1. Start looking into the most popular back end frameworks and pick one (currently heavily leaning on Django).
    2. Create a simple project.
    3. Brush up on data structures & algorithms (it's been nearly two years since I last studied).
    4. Start applying to junior jobs.
    submitted by /u/roynotto
    [link] [comments]

    TrimPNG, a web app to remove transparent pixels from the borders of images

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 01:05 PM PST

    Do nodemon (and similar dev hot reload tools) cause database handler leakage with node/express?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 12:49 PM PST

    Context: I am creating a simple mongo db CRUD with express to quickly learn how to use mongo without an ORM. I am interested in find but also the aggregation pipeline. I see many tutorials for setting up connections where the life cycle of them is unclear.

    MongoClient has a close method, but I never see it used unless I google my concern and see someone on stack overflow suggesting you call it inside a process sigterm/sigint. I see this is not called when nodemon restarts the server, but I see logging from my db file that the connection has been successfully made again. Is it something I need to worry about? Am I leaking connections every time nodemon restarts the server?

    It would be nice to have a definitive answer for 2021, for all the anxious googlers like me :)

    submitted by /u/Tomnnn
    [link] [comments]

    I released React UI Boutique (beautiful UI blocks built with Chakra UI), tell me what you think!

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 08:16 AM PST

    I released React UI Boutique (beautiful UI blocks built with Chakra UI), tell me what you think!

    I'm releasing the early access of React UI Boutique today after 2 months of working on the project. React UI Boutique is a set of beautiful UI components built with Chakra UI and Framer Motion.

    You can use them to jump-start your projects or get inspiration. I want to help you save time you spend on page design and help you have beautiful landing pages which are easily customisable since it is all React/ChakraUI based.

    I am releasing the project with:

    • 150 UI blocks
    • Source code/component view
    • Exporting to NextJS or Gatsby starter
    • Page preview and simple drag and drop page builder

    I will focus on getting 300+ marketing components first and after that, I will start adding dashboard components and full-page layouts.

    There are a bunch of other things coming!

    React ui demo

    submitted by /u/dzigizord
    [link] [comments]

    How to code letters like é, ñ, etc.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 03:47 PM PST

    I am teaching myself HTML/CSS and I'm coding my website by hand. What is the best way to code symbols like ü, ó, á, etc. What's the proper way to code this letter? Thank you.

    (By the way, I'm using this book to learn. I bought this book years ago, when I first started learning and then I stopped. Now, I'm starting again and I was wondering if the book I'm using is outdated and I should be using another one, and if so, which one would you recommend?)

    submitted by /u/mac_the_man
    [link] [comments]

    Requesting performance isolation with the Origin-Agent-Cluster header

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 03:46 PM PST

    How exactly does Airform, Formspree etc work?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 11:59 AM PST

    I was wondering how by just adding "action = airform(or formspree).io/youremail.com" and "method = post", these sites are able to get the form data. I have prior experience with frontend only and I'm not clear with how these work so any help would be appreciated as my main goal is to try to recreate this so that I can learn how it works even better.

    submitted by /u/rohithandique
    [link] [comments]

    Debugging Jobs

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 09:36 AM PST

    Are there any webdev jobs that revolve around debugging? I have never considered myself the most creative person, and I feel like you need to have some eye for art to make a website people want to use. On the other hand I have always been good at debugging issues, are there any jobs out there where people just pass off an application that isn't working the way they want and a person can help them fix it?

    submitted by /u/bayoung1820
    [link] [comments]

    I need a hosting solution for my graphql servers

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 11:41 AM PST

    Hi. I'm a junior dev, been working on a mobile project i want to release soon. The client app will be on mobile app stores, so i do not need hosting for it.

    Structure: My client application relies on two graphql endpoints. One does the communication between client and mongodb. Other one handles image uploads to cloudinary.

    This is basically a map application where users can post certain events. And the app will be displaying this data on the map at all times.

    In the beginning i will not have many users of course and it will start locally, but the concept of the app is suitable for scaling and growing worldwide.

    I am sort of overwhelmed in massive amount of possibilities out there, and i would like some suggestions for hosting my servers. Even when i go to aws website for web hosting solutions, there are many different choices provided that do not exactly do what i need and/or do more than what i need at the same time. Needless to say, while app is new I'd like to stay within free or low cost tier.

    Ps. I used heroku free tier in the past. But sleeping dynos are out of question for a real world app, if I'm not missing something.

    Edit: forgot to mention I'm using apollo servers on both

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/ookayokay
    [link] [comments]

    How to deal with async fetch() calls in regards to CLS (Content Layout Shift)?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 11:32 AM PST

    Hi r/webdev,

    I have a simple site. The site calls an API to load a list of items.

    When the website loads, the layout shifts to render each item in the list. I do not know the length of the items.

    I don't really want to put up a "Loading..." full screen view to deal with this.

    How can I deal with the layout shift?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

    Edit: I guess Server-Side Rendering could solve this?

    submitted by /u/LudacrisX1
    [link] [comments]

    Instagram, How many baby chicks need to die before you fix your in-app browser viewport? ��

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 02:58 PM PST

    [docs] How do you manage your internal developer documentation?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 02:29 PM PST

    As a project grows, you create many processes in regards to code deployments, the definition of done, environments, architecture, etc.

    I was wondering what tools you use to manage your internal dev docs and what sections you generally include? Currently, I'm using Notion (as I'm a bit of a Notion fanboy) to quickly document processes and our architecture.

    However, I'm not sure what specific details need to be in a feature or architecture documentation? What's too much / what's not? You can already leave a lot of information inside of your code that doesn't need to be repeated in your internal docs.

    In other words, what's for you your minimal acceptable level of documentation for new features or modules? My idea is to make "writing internal dev docs" part of the "Definition of Done" for features or new components.

    submitted by /u/thenoisywatcher
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to take a screenshot of an electron app using a button inside a react component?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 02:27 PM PST

    I'm doing a take home technical assessment and one of the requirements is a button that takes a screenshot. I've been looking for a solution all day and getting nowhere. Is it even possible to do this?

    submitted by /u/invincible64
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way as a freelancer to deploy a web app on behalf of a client?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 10:39 AM PST

    If I develop a web app for someone else, how do I go about deploying the app for that person while still giving them permanent access to the site/hosting service? One way I thought was maybe making them their own heroku account, deploying it to their, and then giving them the credentials which they can then change and have access to going forward. I feel like that is a bit sloppy though.

    submitted by /u/DontWorryAboutIt00
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment